Start by marking “Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide

Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Dark Horse presents the definitve guide to Star Wars comics, complete with in-depth coverage all the way through Episode III! Written by Ryder Windham, Star Wars expert, and demsely illustrated with both brand-new art and classic images from the comics, this chronological compendium contains everything you need to be the ultimate Star Wars reader in-the-know. Follow Anakin ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published September 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Parka
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books, movies

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This book is a visual guide to all the six Star Wars film, in chronological order. This book doesn't cover the basic stuff like characters (in depth anyway), weapons, etc which are already covered in Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary. Instead, this book goes into the galaxy conflicts and background stories of things you see on screen, for example, Jabba's palace, Luke's training with Yoda, etc.

It's filled with lots of imagery, comic frames, film stills a
Patricia
Absolutely brilliant book. It gives so much more information you don't get from the films. I have been a fan of the films since A New Hope was released in 1977 and I had read some of the books on the expanded universe, but not all, and I hadn't followed the Clone Wars animated series (which I will probably start watching - better late than never), so this book filled in a load of gaps, and also gave a lot explanations and insights into characters and events. What I really appreciated was the gal ...more
Kreiden
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
“This is so HARD-CORE VISUAL GUIDE!”

From the Star Wars SAGA, Comics, TV-Series, Collectibles and Games…this is so ULTIMATE! I got overwhelmed by the book cause it’s a hard bound and a high-quality colored pages that makes you say “WOW!”. It’s really nice to see them all in just one book.
I love it and I suggest this to those Star Wars Fans to have one. Definitely worth it.
Aaron
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am the FURTHEST person from the title "Star Wars fan," but this visual encyclopedia, that Dayson picked up from the library, was THOROUGHLY enjoyable! (I can't believe I'm writing this!) It tells the whole SW story from a historical perspective (using movies, novels, cartoons, comic books, etc.), starting well before the movies and ending well after the movies. Man, Mr. Lucas created quite a universe! For a short moment, my inner Jedi came out! :)
Mkittysamom
It was pretty cool. Much of the same stuff from the movies with extra tidbits. Only Star Wars 1-6. Not sure if the timeline is canon or not since Disney just changed everything. I liked the movie posters at the end!
Dave Rhoden
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't include stuff from the last 2 movies so it's no longer canon but still has lots of stuff I didn't know.
Darren Vincent
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am a long time fan that is still reading (some of) the Expanded Universe books, so it is not easy to provide me with content that I am not familiar with, or in a way that makes it seem fresh. This book managed to do just that.

Being a visual guide more than an encyclopedic guide, this book is wonderful. There are lots of great artwork and still from the movies and TV shows to view. Past and present are all represented, along with the stories as they appear throughout different media. I do wish
Douglas Koehne
I really enjoyed reading this book. DK Publishing does their usual complete and thorough job in detailing the fictional history of the Star Wars universe in text and pictures. Spanning all the movies, the TV appearances, comics, and even books, the amount of background history for Star Wars is incredible. I find it very interesting that the weakest link in all this incredible outpouring of creativity are the movies themselves. After reading this I'm even more disappointed in the second trilogy. ...more
Andrew
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I will admit I am biased towards Star Wars - how can I not be since it was the first film I ever saw - yep at the tender and impressionable age.
Anyway - This book as the blub says is updated and revised and thats exactly what it is - I originally read the first edition some time ago - then I discovered that it had been updated - it now includes a lot of new material, from the Clone wars to the the old republic to mention but two of the many new additions and updates.
The book as always is la
Alex Brown
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This is actually the best star wars book you can get for people who want to learn more about star wars, but for people that already know a lot about star wars its not that good. The book is generally really good, plenty of information and pictures with most of it. The book covers pretty much every thing in the star wars universe (generally) and has info on anything from the wars, to the videogames, and even merchandise, and technology. Like i said its got a little bit of everything from star war ...more
Narariel
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
While the book has been dated by the Star Wars reboot/new movies, it's full of information on the original universe. While the "in universe" explanations may no longer be relevant for some things, the look at the classic EU stories, comics, and shows is still worth it for fans, particularly those who grew up loving Star Wars. An additional section focusing on "real world" items, such as merchandise and games, is an interesting look at how the perception of SW has changed. The book was full of fu ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
For someone as steeped in Star Wars as myself, this book doesn't really offer anything. It's stuffed with art, images, and info, but the majority of it is things I've seen and read before. Towards the end there are some pretty cool sections on merchandise and behind the scenes of the movies. This isn't to say the book is bad however, just as I can get entertainment from the watching the movies multiple times, I can get entertainment out of book like this.
Prasidh Ramson
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
My first Visual Guide...Impressive, most impressive! Whether you are new to the galaxy far, far away from a time long ago or a dedicated Fanboy/girl this guide has something for everyone. Includes events before and after Episodes I-VI, Expanded Universe, Clone Wars, Collectibles, Video games and more. Definitely worth a read for the newbie or a great reference book for fans.
Cyn
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite detailed book on the Star Wars universe. This was the older version of the book (which I bought several years ago and finally got around to reading with my son just recently), so it doesn't have the most up-to-date information as I would like. Not sure if it's worth purchasing the newer edition though. Recommended for any Star Wars fan.
Jerry
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The details are fun, but it spoils many of the Expanded Universe (now called Legends) books, and doesn't talk enough about the gaming aspect of the franchise. Plus, some of the print was hard to read due to the backgrounds. As much as I love Star Wars, I'd rather read or watch the saga than read about it.
Kimberly
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star War Fans
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A great book that gives tons of details and amazing photos and art work about the Star Wars movies. Whether you are a huge fan of Star Wars or you just enjoy the movies this is a great book to read or just skim through. And if you've just seen the six movies then you'll learn some new stuff from this book too.
Marci -  Serendipitous Readings
Stay tuned to an extra special Twitter / blog tour of Star Wars by DK Canada !!

Nick will give his insights on this book, which just by looking at it quickly is awesome !!

Marlene
An interesting chronological telling of the Star Wars legacy. Information was given from all forms of Star Wars stories including movies and comic books. I liked the way it was put together. I would suggest this book to any one interested in being a Star Wars fan.
Madison
3.5

I loved the behind the scenes stuff and the in-universe history, but I could have done with way less straight-up movie summary. It was also super weird reading about the EU now that it's all been retconned.
Rll52013_andrea
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
So, this would constitue informational and sci/fi! It's checked out quite a bit at my school! No wonder--great pictures (in a variety of formats: photographic, realistically depicted art, comic book graphics, diagramesque) and very chocked-full of informative details for all levels of fans!
Luis González
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfecto para los fans :D
Christopher
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really amazing book to read to find out about facts about the past, present, and future Star Wars movies!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide Special Edition
Wallace, Daniel
great pictures and movable art work related to the original series
Vijai Jayaram
Oscillates between interesting n downright boring...makes me want to see the movies again
Autumn
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Geeky eye-candy. :)
Abraham Ray
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nice book for fans of the movie series & of science fiction in general!
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me quite a long time to finish this book- mainly due to distractions of other things going on at the time. However this book is sure to invoke the force within you.
Theresa
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
great pictures and more information then you need
Josue Manriquez
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is what it is! I would give it 5 stars, but why would I? It's just a survey book about Star Wars, which indeed is probably as good as it can be.
Brandon Rooney
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Fairly good content but it is more concise, and laden with imagery, than I was hoping for. Still, a great addition to any collector's library!
  • Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
  • Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic: Encyclopedia
  • The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
  • Star Wars:  The New Essential Guide to Weapons & Technology
Ryder Windham is an American sci-fi author who has written over sixty Star Wars books, including novels, comics, reference books, and so on. He has also written junior novelizations for Indiana Jones movies. Since 1993, he has been working on Star Wars projects either by himself or with other authors. His reference book Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide had been on the New York Times Best Selle ...more
More about Ryder Windham...

Nonfiction Deals