Start by marking “A Boy and a Girl” as Want to Read:
A Boy and a Girl

A Boy and a Girl

Travis and Charley have just met. It's Charley's last night in town, and Travis can't let her leave without getting her to go on a date. In a future where real people are rapidly being supplanted by lifelike androids, sometimes one shot is all you get! Intelligence may be artificial, but the emotion is real in this futuristic romance from the writer of 12 Reasons Why I ...more
Published December 31st 2013 by Oni Press (first published November 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy and a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy and a Girl

Start your review of A Boy and a Girl
Ivan
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
I'm not too big on reading comics, but the title and cover on this one drew my attention. With it's short story length and nice black & blue color scheme I grabbed a copy quickly. To put the story short without ruining anything, it follows the typical Boy Meets Girl (Travis and Charley) storyline. The boy and girl meet at a party, hookup, and then bam the morning after comes. I liked that the setting was in the future where flying cars and other advanced electronics existed. It was still ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
A Boy and a Girl is a deceptively simple premise: Before Sunrise meets Bladerunner. In the near future, a young man and girl meet and have only 24 hours to get to know each other before she has to leave for her new job. They meet at a party where a man has replaced his mother with an android to cope with her loss - and from then on there are a lot of musings on what it means to be human and what it means to be a robot. Both are lively and full of curiosity, fun, and action - and he is so taken ...more
First Second Books
I think that in the future, there should definitely be more robots (and more robot spies). Just like in this book.
Sheida
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting concept but nothing new or mindblowing.
Nathan Edward
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Even though it is a bit of a cheesy story. It is all about a guy who meets a woman and falls in love at first site, except this women is a robot. Twist!
Kate Dirty Girls' Good Books
So here's the thing, I enjoyed this one. It was a quick read as most graphic novels tend to be. A big reveal from Charley about 1/4 of the way in shocked me, but the Scooby-Doo type ending blew me away. I've been thinking about it off and on all day, and I just can't pull my thoughts together as to how I feel about this one. Be back in a day or two with my final review.

Later---

A Boy and A Girl by Jamie S. Rich
B-, spark, futuristic, no kink, 186 pages

When I ran across this one, I knew I had to
Emilia P
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Hm. I liked this, I did, but it seemed a bit stretched out narratively, and I did see the twists and turns coming from miles away (though you might not! and I still got a kick out of them!). Nonetheless, I kind of hope there'll be a sequel! The main characters were instantly likeable. And I read it because I had just read Nourigat's diary comic, and it was cool to see her style channeled into a graphic novel -- otherwise I might not have appreciated the ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An immensely compelling and beautiful romance. Set in a future world this story has a bit of everything including an amazing surprise ending. While on the surface the book simply tells an enchanting love story between two young twenty-somethings underneath lie some very deep issues that will provoke thought. Is free will important or even necessary? In a technological age would (could?) religion and God be reasoned away? Are emotions what make humans have Faith? Much, much more to ponder but ...more
David Schwan
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
The first half is slow and a bit confusing. Eventually the plot emerges (warning: not much of a plot). The fun of reading this is the interactions between characters. Some nice revelations in the later half of the book. The last few pages hold and even bigger revelation. Nice graphics.
Sim ✨(wholesimreads)
A bit boring but cute. Too short for anything to really develop and therefore, felt a bit rushed. Loved the page of sketches showing the character background and illustrations at the end though!!
Johnny Andrews
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised with this, brought it cheap and thought why not, it has a Sci-Fi element.
Set in a futuristic world where robots are the norm, there are flying police cars but most things seem just the norm.
When Travis meets Charley sparks and intrigue fly but the passion is cut short.
Charley is due to leave for some new 'job' however Travis wants to know her, so he goes looking for her.
However something is keeping them from getting to know each other fully.
Su
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a powerful story! Really delving into the philosophy and ethics of artificial intelligence and simply what it means to be "alive" and have emotions. It's also a really cute love story, and lovely story of just being young and wanting the most from your life's adventure. At once beautifully complex and stunning in its simplicity, A Boy & A Girl is probably one of my favorite reads now. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down!
Social_Sloth
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kari Mathias
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It was a cute and surprising love story with gorgeous illustrations.
ZepysGirl
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was bored midway through and then it had a downer ending.
Daniel
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to admit that Ive been enjoying reading graphic novels on my Samsung tablet, lately. Having a variety of review copies to read has also been nice. This time around its a graphic novel by a company Im not familiar with, by a writer and artist Im not familiar with and doesnt have anything to do with any previous story or feature (that Im aware of). Wow. Something totally new!

What we have is a futuristic Romeo and Juliet story. Set in a realistic future, boy, Travis, meets girl, Charley, at
Charlie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read more book reviews at Book Junkie Joint.

Boy meets girl -- the premise was simple, the story was a little short but it was unexpectedly sweet and the twist at the end was really interesting!

I don't normally read American graphic novels as I'm more into the Japanese Manga or the Korean Manhwa, but I decided to pick this one up just to try it out. I was pleasantly surprised!

Essentially, the whole premise can be summed up into three simple words: boy meets girl. Then he does all sorts of things
Dani Shuping
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by NetGalley

The future is here and lifelike androids an AI is real. But emotion is still real and love cannot be denied as a boy and a girl meet, and neither can forget each other. It's Charley's last night in town and Travis can't get her out of his mind. He spends all day attempting to track her down and when he finally does...it will be night that neither of them will forget.

I know it sounds like a common, hackneyed plot from a bad romance movie...but trust me it isn't. The only
zxvasdf
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
One thing this book made me think about was ethics. Basically ethics is a code of behavior that protects the intrinsic rights of others living things. So if you weren't able to die, endure pain or discomfort, or all the bad things that comes with suffering, there wouldn't be any need for ethics, but then there wouldn't be any living...

One could question the ethics of the Gods, based on their actions in popular religious texts. Perhaps the act of creation is miraculous, but there are many ethical
Jessica
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Travis meets a girl, Charley, at a party and there is immediate chemistry, but Travis gets kicked out without getting anything but Charley's first name. He doesn't let that stop him, and he spends the next day searching for her through any means possible with the hope that he can convince her to give him a chance. This is a realistic future world where sophisticated androids abound, though not everyone thinks of them quite positively. There's a bit of ethical discussion on what makes a person ...more
taeli
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
finished 8/24/13

A graphic novel set in a future where androids look and act like humans, Travis meets Charley at a party and has a great time with her but due to circumstances, didn't get the info necessary to contact her. Risking the creepy/charming divide, Travis decides to try and find Charley based on the few things she'd shared about her life. Charley only has a few days left before she leaves town. She's one of those lifelike androids just finishing up the android equivalent of the Amish
Paul Decker
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
***I was provided an ecopy of this graphic novel via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review***

A believable near future with humanlike robots. One boy meets one girl. And there our adventure begins. The artwork is very simple. It fits the story perfectly.

If this graphic novel was a movie it would be an indie love story that someone like Zooey Deschenel would be featured in, although if I was casting this story I would definitely give the female lead to America Ferrera. The story takes place in
Wayne McCoy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Boy meets girl. Boy doesn't get girl's name. Boy finds girl again. Girl is leaving town tomorrow morning. It sounds pretty standard, but the setting is the future when along with people there are lifelike androids.

Travis and Charley have just met and they like each other. Charley is leaving on assignment in the morning. Travis just wants to get to know her before she leaves. They are both hiding something from each other. Travis sells term papers and he's being hunted by Russian gangsters.
Fantasy Literature
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was certainly surprised by this story. Id seen it on Comixology before, but I'd passed it up. However, I decided to give it a chance after reading Natalie Nourigat's wonderful comic book Between the Gears, a coming-of-age autobiography about her senior year at the University of Oregon. I knew I liked her art, and just for that reason alone, I enjoyed A Boy and A Girl. It has the same style, with a touch of futurism, but Nourigat's main strength is on show here again: She has the ability to ...more
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've kind of stumbled across some great graphic novels lately and this one was no exception. It was a fun look at two souls that got a chance for one night together and what they learned about each other.

Spoiler alert: You've heard there's a twist. It's not what you think it is. I know the twist is controversial, but I personally loved it. Definitely a great way of subverting my expectations.
Angela Boyle
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven't fallen into a story this hard in years. I literally couldn't hear my boyfriend when he was talking to me. I was afraid Natalie Nourigat's art would be "too polished" and lose the energy and emotion she had in Between Gears, but I was pleased to be wrong. It is still Nourigat and fantastic. Just cleaned up and easy to follow. And now I am ready to look for more by Jamie S. Rich. The surprises were actually surprising and the story is sweet and weird and totally up my alley.
Elia
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Finally I twist ending I didn't see coming a mile away! Impressed!
This is a story about an average college student who meets the girl of his dreams. Unfortunately the girl isn't so much a "girl" as an experimental android made to "pass" as human. Plus she's about to get her final assignment and leave town. Can a romance like this work? Is it possible for a man to fall in love with a machine? Read it and find out.
Skye Kilaen
A love story with robots. Two people meet, become lovers, and spend a few precious days together. What happens during those days? Dancing, talking, fleeing the Russian mafia all that typical new relationship stuff. As the book goes on, though, there are some hard questions about identity, destiny, and what love means in a world where people are being supplanted by androids. I love the black, white, and blue palette and the crispness of Nourigats art style. ...more
Belinda Missen
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Someone else described this perfectly: Before Sunrise meets Bladerunner.

An interesting concept in which robots are now part of everyday life. Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, chaos theory ensues as he tries to get her to go on a date with him.

Supreme plot twist at the end - loved that.
Erin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a fast-moving, really cute stand alone comic. The story is interesting and somewhat unique, and the art is pretty cool too. It's not game-changing or super memorable, but it's a good quick comic read.

• The Secret Loves of Geek Girls
  • Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Brave Chef Brianna
  • Batman: Year 100 & Other Tales Deluxe Edition
  • Escapo
  • The Tipping Point, Part 1
  • CBLDF Presents: Liberty
Rich is an author of both prose (Cut My Hair, I Was Someone Dead, and The Everlasting) and comics (the two-volume series Love the Way You Love; the Spell Checkers series). His third full-length novel, Have You Seen the Horizon Lately?, was released by Oni Press in the summer of 2007. He regularly collaborates with artist Joelle Jones, including the Oni graphic novels 12 Reasons Why I Love Her and ...more