Start by marking “The Loyalist's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Loyalist's Wife

The Loyalist's Wife

(The Loyalist Trilogy #1)

When American colonists resort to war against Britain and her colonial attitudes, a young couple caught in the crossfire must find a way to survive. Pioneers in the wilds of New York State, John and Lucy face a bitter separation and the fear of losing everything, even their lives, when he joins Butler's Rangers to fight for the King and leaves her to care for their isolate ...more
Published June 20th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Loyalist's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loyalist's Wife

Erin
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Loyalist lit has never been particularly prevalent, but it isn't exactly unheard of. The Tory Widow by Christine Blevins, The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki, Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell and The King's Rangers by John Brick jump immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are others on the market. Thing is, all of these books were written by Americans which makes Canadian Elaine Cougler's The Loyalist's Wife something of a nov
Purabi
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfectly crafted story of a young couple, John and Lucy, caught in the crossfire between American colonists and British loyalist in the wilds of New York State. It was a learning experience for me as I read each chapter – the ravages of war, the courage of two young people, the ultimate decision of John to join Butler’s rangers and leave his wife to look after the farm, the dreadfully bleak picture of winter with starving men on the rampage looking for food, the kindness and loyalty of some o ...more
Indie Editor Nancy
This book was an excellent account of the pain and suffering and the strength of the loyalists who fought to save their land and their families.
Excellent story and writing, I very much enjoyed reading and experiencing for myself what my loyalist ancestors probably experienced as they struggled to Niagara to start over again.
Melissa
My Thoughts:

Set in frontier New York during the American Revolution, The Loyalist's Wife, Elaine Cougler's debut novel, features as its central characters a small group of colonists who remain loyal to the English crown. While I've not read a great deal of novels set during the American Revolution, I have read enough to know that Loyalists are rare as principal characters.

The principal protagonists of the novel are John Garner and his wife Lucy. John and Lucy are the owners of a small, isolated
Melinda
Review originally posted on my blog at westmetromommy.blogspot.com
3.0 Stars

I was intrigued by this book when I first heard about it. I can't recall ever reading a novel set during the Revolution with the main characters as Loyalists. It was on that point alone that I decided to read this book. I did like the fact that I learned a bit about the "the other side" during this conflict. There is also quite a bit about the Native Americans and how they interacted with the Europeans, which I found inte
Meg - A Bookish Affair
3.5 stars. I really was interested in reading "The Loyalist's Wife" because I haven't read a lot of historical fiction set in America and I haven't read a lot of historical fiction set during the Revolutionary War (why isn't there more out there???). I also was intrigued by the idea that this book was told about Loyalists, those that supported the King of England during the Revolutionary War. This story follows John and Lucy, a couple who still support the King and for that, they are in danger. ...more
Kendal
The Loyalist’s is a heartbreaking story about loyalty and the ravages of war. Ms. Cougler has written a compelling novel about the sweeping effects of war and human savagery. I had yet read anything from the Loyalist perspective and I found it captivating. So many people lost their property, homes and lives in the name of the King. The Colonists are not portrayed in a very positive light at all.

At the heart of this book is the survival of John and Lucy. They go through so much; each had to face
Urve Tamberg
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
The Loyalist`s Wife takes place during the early part of the American Revolutionary War. In 1778, torn between love for his wife, and the loyalty to the king, John joins Butler's Rangers, a British provincial regiment. Lucy, his new wife, is left to fend for herself on an isolated farm in upstate New York.

Written from both Lucy and John's point of view, we experience two vivid perspectives on how war shapes the men who fight it, and the women who are left behind. Both confront loneliness, physi
Harold
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of reading this story set during the early years of the American Revolution. Allow me to preface my comment by saying two things: I generally read more non-fiction than I do fiction, so this was a rarity for me and; I generally do not consider myself a history buff.

In spite of the above, upon starting the story, I was immediately drawn into the lives of John and Lucy. As I followed their lives, I was taken back in time; a time of extreme hardship. I found myself amazed at the
Sharon Chance
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most fictional books set in the American Revolutionary War era are told from the patriots' point of view, but with "The Loyalist's Wife," by Elaine Cougler, the story is uniquely presented through words of John and Lucy, a young married couple loyal to the British crown. And I found this absolutely fascinating.

These were two passionate young people who were hard workers, and just wanted to live their simple lives on their farm in Upper New York state. But the ongoing war with the "colonists" d
Elaine Ballantyne
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an impatient reader. If my interest isn't peaked right from the get-go, or if the author's writing style isn't appealing, I simply don't continue reading the book. Both of the Loyalist books drew me in immediately and this got me excited!
Couglar's writing is emotive with such sincerity. She is not trying too hard like some writers do. She eloquently tells real Canadian history and moves the reader by personalizing it in her characters.
I LOVE Couglar's style of writing; it's clear, simple and
Donna
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit, I've read many books centering around the Revolutionary War. Never have I read a book from the viewpoint of a British supporter. What a book! It will hold your interest from page one until the finish. Lucy and John are amazing people. John joins the British sympathizers Butler's Rangers and has to leave Lucy while fighting against the revolutionaries.

Lucy's story of survival is one of courage and great strength. We see the happenings from both Lucy's and John's perspective. Both u
Michelle
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I won this book through Goodreads, and I have very mixed feelings about it. As a Canadian, I have a lot of sympathy for the loyalists, and the story was gripping enough and well-edited enough that I read it in one sitting. The characters and setting were well described without being info-dumpy, but I found the dialogue, on occasion, a bit stilted. And the writing itself seems very simplistic, but it obviously works since I couldn't put it down. It was engrossing enough that by the time I was don ...more
E.A. Briginshaw
Really liked the Lucinda character but her husband's character didn't seem consistent throughout the book. Also, I found some of the action scenes confusing as I wasn't sure who was killing who in several scenes. Book lost tension as I got closer to the end.
Nada Loughead
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - even though it's the second book in a trilogy, it's a great stand alone. Look forward to the next and last in this series. Won this book on Goodreads. http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1...
Janet Snider
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elaine Cougler certainly knows how to turn a story. The pace of the action was perfect, I never once skipped a paragraph of description to get to the story. Life at the time of the American Revolution was precarious. "The Loyalist's Wife" gives a very accurate account of the vulnerability of people on both sides of the war.
Helen Hollick
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
' as a look at life in the American Colonies during that turbulent period this is a very highly recommended series. '
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
Darlene
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Loyalist’s Wife by Elaine Cougler is the first in a trilogy and if this novel is any indication of the ones to come then readers are sure in for a treat. Elaine’s storytelling ability is fantastic! She drew me into this novel right off the beginning and I found I could not put it down. The Loyalist’s Wife is about the struggles, perseverance, and courage of the pioneers back in the 1700′s telling a tale of the love, loyalty, and will they had to hope for a better future.

John and Lucy are pio
Sherry
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was well written, however I did feel like you knew what was going to happen. I was able to get into the book and feel the characters, so it did keep my attention.
John Matsui
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Loyalist's Wife was an exciting and eye-popping read. I recommend it to anyone who wants a wider perspective on the Revolutionary War.
A more complete review will follow.
Vicki
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Loyalist history of this piece. Being a Loyalist descendant myself, I brought imagery to what life may have been like for my ancestors. Great read.
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Loyalist's Wife has been awarded with a Chill with a Book Readers' Award
Wendysue Ramljak
Dec 11, 2013
Elaine Cougler
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Elaine Cougler
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Brian
Glenna Reynolds
Jan 28, 2017
Sherry Isaac
Mar 05, 2016
  • A Newfound Land (The Graham Saga #4)
  • Romancing Olive (Prairie Romance, #1)
  • The Harlot's Tale (Midwife Mysteries, #2)
  • The Fifth Knight (The Fifth Knight, #1)
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution # 3)
  • The Future Mrs. Darcy (Given Good Principles, #2)
  • Royal Mistress
  • The Inquisitor's Wife
  • Thwarted Queen (Thwarted Queen Book 3)
  • Cliff of the Ruin
  • Atomic Summer
  • A Divided Inheritance
  • Gracianna
  • The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Taming a Wild Scot (Claimed by the Highlander, #1)
  • The Boleyn Deceit (The Boleyn Trilogy, #2)
  • Illuminations
Elaine Cougler is the award-winning author of historical novels about the lives of settlers in the Thirteen Colonies who remained loyal to Britain during the American Revolution. She uses the backdrop of the conflict for page-turning fictional tales where the main characters face torn loyalties, danger and personal conflicts. Her Loyalist trilogy comprises The Loyalist’s Wife, The Loyalist’s Luck ...more

The Loyalist Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Loyalist's Luck (The Loyalist Trilogy, #2)
  • The Loyalist Legacy (The Loyalist Trilogy, #3)