Start by marking “Luminary (Anomaly, #2)” as Want to Read:
Luminary (Anomaly, #2)

Read Excerpt

Luminary (Anomaly #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  746 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
She was an anomaly with a death sentence. Now she's free.

Thalli was scheduled for annihilation. She was considered an anomaly--able to experience emotions that should have been eradicated by genetic modification. The Scientists running the State couldn't allow her to bring undue chaos to their peaceful, ordered world. But seconds before her death, she is rescued.

Now Thalli
Published January 14th 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Luminary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luminary

Libby May
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes ma'am! That was bad! That was a very evil cliffhanger.
Thank you Mrs. Krista. XD
I already ordered Revolutionary from the library.
So this book was really good. I liked it so much. It's up there, leaning towards 5 stars. If I finish and love the trilogy, I will be bringing up each of the books to 5 stars.
It is rather disturbing on the violence side if you are squeamish. I recommend ages 14 and up. But a very good sci-fi.
Hannah Rodes
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Luminary by Krista Mcgee

I really liked Anomaly, but I have to say Luminary was the most fabulous! I loved it. The characters, the plot line even though the setting was a dry, desolate USA it was totally amazing.

The Characters.
So, the characters were lovely. Though I do think Thalli was super annoying at the start, (Though it was explained later why she was so irritable.) She was totally awesome at the end.

The Story
My goodness, the story got gasps, snickers, widen eyes, anger and “You go gir
Olivia
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
2017 Review:
Holy cow, I cringe every time I re read this review, what I've learned since 2015? Write reviews AFTER the fangirl craziness has worn off! Never rate a book based on how much you loved the ending. Can't wait to update my thoughts on this book when I have time.

2015 Review:
ASDKNENRJFBRHFJFBHDNSBDHDJFHFHRJRJDBSHSJSKDBBDJSNAGSJDKSNEBHFJDBDHSJSMS SBSHKSNDBDHDHJDH FEELINGS FEELINGS FEELINGS

OKAY
Okay
okay
ok

phew

This trilogy is just getting better, go read Anomaly NOW! LIKE OH THE FEELS, AND JU
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I thoroughly enjoyed Anomaly, (book 1) Luminary was packed with even more excitement! I really liked this one. We move from white walls and stiff, evil scientists to peaceful and perilous colonies. I think this one has been my favorite in the trilogy so far, but..

... Even though Luminary was more action packed and exciting than Anomaly; I liked the Thalli in Anomaly better than the Thalli of Luminary. Thalli was kind of a Brat in Luminary. Grrrrr Poor Berk. Also I thought Luminary was a li
Samantha Renee
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love these books. It really shows Christianity to be a religion in which the believers aren't perfect but try their best daily. It really touches me that there is room in YA Literature for a bit of faith. So often in books the teenage characters are said to have "never believed in a God," "never religious," "been to church a few times but never really got into it," etc but then being praying to God when they get into a perilous situation and I find it disturbing. I'm glad this novel shows what ...more
Shantelle
I enjoyed Luminary! It was an easy and interesting read. At times I felt disconnected from the characters (perhaps because of the writing style?); but I did still like the story. Looking forward the Book 3!
Kara
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DISCOVER. RESIST. HOPE.

My Comments
Wow, this book was everything I’d hoped it would be and more! Thalli, Berk, Rhen and John have escaped below ground and are finally venturing into the unknown searching for survivors. Berk has made all the necessary preparations for them to go two weeks on their own. Thalli is overwhelmed with different emotions, but she is mostly fearful that Monitors will be sent after them.

Thalli is very negative and fearful at first, she is in disbelief that they’ve gotten
Kate (The Shelf Life)
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The world that Krista Mcgee has created is interesting and detailed and keeps expanding with each book. In Anomaly, we only see a small amount of this world with the State. Now, we get to see what is left of a world ravaged by a massive war. Though desolate, the people are strong. In these two communities, there is so much that is different. In New Hope, they live as a community with their elders. In Athens, they are ruled by a king and his line and fear is the driving factor of submission.

We ha
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Review will be posted on i blog 4 books (1/12): http://iblog4books.blogspot.com/2014/...

After reading Anomaly this summer, I could hardly wait to read Luminary! I got my hands on a copy last week and moved it to the top of my TBR stack. While Thalli was a little ... whiny ... at the beginning, I soon got over my frustration with her and got swept up in the drama of their escape from the State. It was fascinating to read about three characters who were experience life as we know it (relatively sp
Hayden
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was, at the beginning, a little slow for me: I found Thalli rather unlikable and the other characters seemed a little dull. However, after the first few chapters, the story really picked up (and I began to like Thalli again). It was very different in tone than the previous book, but it fit this story. It felt reminiscent of some instances in the Old Testament in the books of Judges and 1&2 Kings.

The one thing I didn't like was the beginnings of a love triangle. Nooooo, I felt like
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did. I'm not a huge dystopian fiction fan, but I did enjoy the first book in the series. I guess I expected this one to get convoluted and hit a few plot road bumps like many series do.

But, this is book is even better than the first one.
The characters grew, the plot thickened, and it ended on a cliffhanger that has been wishing time would fly until summer, when the third book comes out.

I've read all of McGee's books, and I think she hits her str
Alyssa
This Book. Oh. This. Book. Was. Amazing. I can not wait to get Revolutionary when it releases next month.
JoJo Sutis
THE LOOK OF THE BOOK:
I love that the publisher has kept to the overall look and theme of the book cover as compared to Anomaly. The cover still features whom I assume to be Thalli…only this time she is wearing a sci-fi-esk helmet. Anomaly’s cover features the words “QUESTION. FEEL. BELIEVE.” and Luminary is graced with the words, “DISCOVER. RESIST. HOPE.”…totally appropriate for this second installment. I love it!!!

CHARACTERS:
Thalli seems very different and is experiencing new and different emot
Amanda
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
-- Previously --

WOAH, seriously? It released the very day I read the first book? COOL.

-- Currently --

Waffling between 3.5 and 4 stars...

After having mixed feelings about the first book in this trilogy, I hoped this next book would be even better.

Sadly, for at least the first 100-150 pages, it was not.

Thalli is being completely contrary to herself. Berk is shoved out of the picture nearly altogether. Thalli makes wild decisions. It was a sour reminder of Insurgent, because Thalli behaved way t
Lauren
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reread this a few months back. Still as good as the first time I read it.
Melanie Kilsby
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-reads
You can see my full review on my blog at www.realitywriter.wordpress.com
Shali

I can't decide on 3 or 4 stars, so I think 3.5 is the safest bet.

Luminary begins where Anomaly left off, with Thalli and the gang escaping the State and traversing aboveground in search of survivors. They find a town called New Hope and are accepted (somewhat grudgingly, by some). Soon, the town comes under attack by a neighboring town of survivors (read: kingdom).
In an attempt to broker peace between the two, Thalli volunteers to infiltrate the kingdom of Athens, and soon becomes a guest in th
Elizabeth J.
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pros:
Though I liked the first book in "The Anomaly Trilogy," I found it hard to connect with the characters emotionally. I thought I might have the same problem in this second book of the trilogy. I did not, however. As Thalli, John, Berk, and Rhen learned to adapt to their new way of life, I found myself growing more and more attached to them.

The new setting, characters, and problems made me really enjoy this book! Not so spoil anything, but I cried several times. The ending made me go, "What
Jeanne Boyarsky
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I should have liked this book more than I did. The four characters (Thalli, Berk, Rhen and John) that were allowed to "escape" to find the other scientists did so. They encoutered the two communities the escaped scientists went to. They learned one used chemicals to brainwash the citizens. They met the descendants of the leader/scientists. Drama. A love triangle. More religion. I like how John dies in peace having re-established religion. The Thalli almost getting married and series of events fe ...more
Natalie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I really like the direction this series took. Thalli has grown a lot as a character and definitely seems to trust herself more than she did in the first book.

The two new settings - Athens and New Hope - are very different from the underground world of the first book and it was interesting to learn more about those two communities.

I'm not wild about the love triangle, but I do like both of the male love interests as individual characters.

I'm excited to see how this trilogy concludes.
Ilana
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Title: Luminary
Author: Krista McGee
Publisher/Year: Nelson Thomas, Inc. 1/7/14
Length: 320 Pages
Series: Anomaly #2

Overview

Thalli thought escaping to the surface would mean freedom. But is she any less of an anomaly aboveground?

After escaping an underground annihilation chamber, Thalli, Berk, Rhen, and John find themselves fleeing across the former United States, aboveground for the first time. As the defectors cross the for gotten landscape, the three youths see things the y had only read about on
Justifiablypetty
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i wonder if Thalli's polyamourous, guess well never know ahahah
Erin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the first book and couldn't put it down and I breezed through the second book in two days! Starting the third book today!
Josie Pawlicka
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. An interesting blend of dystopia and the Christian faith.
Felicia (Little Prairie Library)
Such a great continuation in the series. It went places I was not expecting it to go, and it set the stakes pretty high for the last book. I am pleased.
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)

At A Glance
Loved the story, hated being preached at.

The Good
I loved Luminary even more than Anomaly. I was really blown away. It had everything I look for in a good dystopian: a messed up world, characters who question and fight, and never-ending stress. lol. Come on, you know dystopians are freaking stressful. But I love that tension, those butterflies in my stomach because I am scared of what is going to happen next. Well, Luminary is no except
Erin
Krista McGee's "Anomaly" was one of my favorite books of 2013, and I had been looking forward to this sequel since the moment I turned that final page. Let's recap quickly: Thalli was born in an underground State run by scientists after most of the world destroyed itself in nuclear war. Humans are now genetically engineered for specific career fields, and their emotions have been eliminated. It's a sterile and perfunctory enviroment. But Thalli is an anomaly. She feels emotions, and knows if the ...more
Clare dooley
"She was an anomaly with a death sentence. Now she's free.

Now Thalli is above ground in a world she thought was destroyed. A world where not even the air is safe to breathe. She and her three
Wolfie
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Real rating: 4.5 stars

Writer Person

After reading Anomaly, I went straight for this book. I was excited beyond belief. Luminary did not disappoint. Some middle books can be rather tedious. They usually take care of all the info and set up the last book. That's been my experience, anyways. With The Hunger Games, I feel like the last book had all the info. But this isn't about The Hunger Games. Luminary is an entirely different kind of dystopian. Nevertheless, I am totally impressed. As I mentioned
Kristin
I was so excited to read this book. I really enjoyed book one and so did my daughter!

I actually submitted a short story for a chance to win an autographed book and my submission won so it was even more exciting to read.

I gave this book a solid 4 stars, I really wanted to give it 5 star rating but I couldn’t help but feel as this one was a little too similar to The Hunger Games in certain parts.

Similarities to The Hunger Games:
Mutated Animals-Muttations
The State-The Capitol
love triangle-love t
Christian Specula...: New YA Spec-Fic Christian Authors 5 13 Jul 03, 2018 02:23PM
Thalli / Berk or Thalli/Alex 1 5 Jul 29, 2014 07:58AM
Christian Fiction...: ❀Abbi and Melanie ❀ Luminary by Krista McGee 19 8 Jan 16, 2014 11:44AM
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • The Perimeter (Outside #3)
  • Ciao (Stories About Melissa, #3)
  • The Guardians Crown Parts One and Two (The Sacred Guardians #4)
  • A Date of Godlike Proportions (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2.5)
  • Creators (The Lost Souls, #3)
  • Sneak (Swipe, #2)
  • Burned (Crushed #2)
  • Mutilate My Heart (Mutilated, #1)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • When I’m With You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #3)
  • Deuce (Vortex, #3)
  • Taking Angels
  • Defector (Variants, #2)
  • Spellweaver (The Spellweaver Chronicles, #1)
  • True Fate (True Fate #1)
  • Unbound (All Good Things #1)
  • Adrenaline Rush (Christy, #1)
Krista writes for teens, teaches teens, and more often than not, acts like a teen. She and her family have lived and ministered in Texas, Costa Rica, and Spain. Her current hometown is Tampa, FL.
More about Krista McGee

Anomaly (3 books)
  • Anomaly (Anomaly, #1)
  • Revolutionary (Anomaly, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“I think of the Designer and I know that no matter what, if his ways are not considered, no State or city or government will be truly successful.” 11 likes
“You need a change of perspective, Thalli, not a change in circumstance. Joy comes from the Designer alone. Humans, even the best humans, are flawed. We cannot meet each other's needs completely. We were not designed to do that. We were created to be in relationship with the Designer. In him, we find true joy and peace. We find freedom in loving him and being loved by him. When we look to others to fill that hole, we find ourselves empty.” 4 likes