Start by marking “The Devil Walks in Mattingly” as Want to Read:
The Devil Walks in Mattingly

The Devil Walks in Mattingly

For the three people tortured by their secret complicity in a young man's untimely death, redemption is what they most long for . . . and the last thing they expect to receive.

Published March 18th 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published March 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Walks in Mattingly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Walks in Mattingly

Teri
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found myself still thinking about this book a few days after finishing it. When you get right down to it, this story was about love, repentance, forgiveness, and how secrets and guilt can slowly erode any happiness in life.

The characterization in this book was outstanding. Every character had their own distinct personality and really seemed to come alive as I read the story - not just the MCs, but the supporting players also, and I think everyone can relate in some way to both Jake and Kate an
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Literate, compelling,poetic, deep: an examination of the stranglehold of guilt and the equally intense stranglehold of memory, A wrong deed happens in a moment, but guilt, fear, and memory endure for a lifetime. What can overcome: faith and grace; or a lifetime of Good Deeds?
James Pate
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jake Barnett is the sheriff in Mattingly, and his wife, Kate, does good deeds for the local poor. Both are racked with guilt because they feel responsible for the death of Phillip McBride twenty years earlier, back when they were in high school. As Jake and Kate attempt to cope with their guilt in their own ways, a variety of things are happening. Phillip is haunting Jake’s dreams. A mentally ill man named Taylor Hathcock is murdering and attempting to murder, with the conviction that life is a ...more
Blake Atwood
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My first introduction to Billy Coffey's fiction was his previous book, When Mockingbirds Sing, set in the same town of Mattingly, and even featuring a few of the same characters that appear in The Devil Walks in Mattingly.

With Mockingbirds, I was engaged from page one and floored by its conclusion. Coffey made the mistake of writing too well; it meant that any of his future books would have to rival Mockingbirds in my opinion.

Devil expands on the Southern, spiritual magic that pervaded Mattingl
Jennifer Nowak
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Billy Coffey!

Three characters all believe that they are responsible for taking another's life. The answers to the "who and how" questions are not fully revealed until near the end of the story, compelling you to continue reading.

Since all of Coffey's books are set in Mattingly, there is always the chance of coming upon a favorite character from a previous book. These characters are always well developed and written in a way that makes it hard to leave them behind when
Jalynn Patterson
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

It has been twenty years since Philip McBride's body was found along the riverbank in the dark woods known as Happy Hollow. His death was ruled a suicide. But three people have carried the truth ever since--Philip didn't kill himself that day. He was murdered.

Each of the three have wilted in the shadow of th
Cindy Stacy
May 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish it. Life's too short to read bad books.
LJ
First Sentence: I sat on the edge of Zach’s bed and stared at the small town of LEGOs and Matchbox cars that covered the floor.

Mattingly is a very small town set in the mountains—old mountains filled with secrets--of Western Virginia. A boy died there 20 years ago. Although ruled a suicide, three people’s lives are still haunted by that death; the sheriff, his wife, and a hermit. Still, the events of the past also impact the life of a younger generation; Lucy Seekins. Can they find redemption at
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
As I finished the latest novel from Billy Coffey, The Devil Walks in Mattingly, I remember what he told me when I interviewed him on what the reader would find in this one. He told me it will be much darker. And it is. Much darker!

To those of you that are looking for a happy story of some facet of Billy's walk in life, this is NOT that novel. Ir reminds me in fact of the opening line that Jude Law narrates for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, "Dear reader, there are people in the
Lisa
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my reading goals for this year is to branch out from my usual reading habits and try some new-to-me books and authors.

The Devil Walks in Mattingly by Billy Coffey fits all those criteria, and though I was afraid I'd have to only read this book during the day or when my husband was home, it turns out I had nothing to fear. (Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my review.)

In the sleepy town of Mattingly, Virginia, where nothing much out
Kathy
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Twenty years ago, Philip McBride died in Happy Hollow. His death was ruled a suicide but was it just a tragic accident? Or was his death something far more sinister? In Billy Coffey's The Devil Walks in Mattingly, only one person knows the truth about what happened that day, but three people are tortured by their actions that may have led to Phillip's death.

Neither the past nor secrets truly remain hidden and no one is more aware of that than the sheriff of Mattingly, Jake Barnett. He is slowly
Karin Fendick
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I became a fan of Billy Coffey's writing years ago, devouring his regular blog posts before he published his first book.

Then came Snow Day, Paper Angels and When Mockingbirds Sing. I have savoured each novel, always looking forward to the next.

The Devil Walks in Mattingly is a deeper, darker tale, previewed on the back cover with the following words:

"For the three people tortured by their secret complicity in a young man's untimely death, redemption is what they most long for . . . and the last
susan
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
There are times when I'll stick with something for no other reason than I like the idea of it. So it goes with The Devil Walks in Mattingly. Summarized neatly on the back cover it sounded quite good, but it ended up falling a bit short for me.

The guilt-theme was absolutely beaten to death. By the end of the book I fully believed the entire town was certifiable or at least in need of some serious, long-term therapy.

Sprinkled throughout there was a valiant attempt at suspense. The reader would e
Sally
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Devil Walks In Mattingly
By: Billy Coffey

Billy Coffey is an author I will read over and over. The Devil Walks In Mattingly happens four years before When Mockingbirds Sing, but you can read his books in any order. Each story stands alone.

Jake Barnett, Kate Barnett, and Taylor Hathcock are the only ones who really know what happened to Phillip McBride. Was it a suicide like everyone thinks or did something more sinister happen? Jake, Kate, Taylor, and Phillip are forged together due to their p
Lorianne Frisbie
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked his previous book, When Mockingbirds Sing. This book goes back in time and gives you the back story. He weaves a tale that draws you in and keeps you there by visiting the timeless story lines of grace and redemption. I downloaded it and read it right away. Three people could be held responsible for a murder. Who really was the murderer and why doesn't anyone not involved, not know anything about it? Was it an accident or something much worse? But as secrets always do, they eek ou ...more
Chelsea Ferguson
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this was a good book from start to finish! it had so many twists and turns, that it left you wanting to read more! Not to mention, Billy Coffey's southern style of writing made the book very enchanting! Definitely a must read!
Danielle
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I feel like I am the only person who didn't like this book. I thought it was too long. I don't want to spoil the ending, so I'll just say that I thought the path the author went down was not biblical regarding heaven, death, etc.
Carissa
Coffey's books are pure magic. It's a mystical wonderland of sensation and nostalgia combined with enough truth to make every book a sensory delight. He is one-of-a-kind in Christian fiction.
Lorri
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok. A husband and wife are harboring secrets that are getting in the way of their marriage, thinking they are protecting the other one. The ending was a little odd and did not really feel like it worked.
Matt
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that not only entertained me, but connected with me on so my levels!
Deb
Shelves: kindle-or-pdf
My birthday
Janet Sketchley
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jake and his wife, Kate, live under long-held regrets centering around one of their high school classmates, Phillip. Phillip's death 20 years ago was ruled a suicide, but Jake and Kate each believe they killed him.

Jake is sheriff of the small mountain town of Mattingly, VA. He took the job because he's desperate for peace, not because he's strong like his father was. When violence rocks his town, Jake is out of his depth.

Characters like Jake and Kate feel real yet a touch distant, as if we're pe
Lisa Johnson
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Devil Walks in Mattingly
Author: Billy Coffey
Pages: 400
Year: 2014
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
The author writes a gripping, mysterious and veiled story that kept me reading and pondering for days. Before I began the book, I read the back cover which helps set the stage for what the contents are as well as learning in the Publishers Note that the events in this book happen four years before When Mockingbirds Sing. While each story written by Billy Coffey can be read in any order, I was glad
Victor Gentile
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Billy Coffey in his new book “The Devil Walks In Mattingly” Book Two in the Mattingly series published by Thomas Nelson takes us back to the town of Mattingly.

From the back cover: For the three people tortured by their secret complicity in a young man’s untimely death, redemption is what they most long for . . . and the last thing they expect to receive.

It has been twenty years since Philip McBride’s body was found along the riverbank in the dark woods known as Happy Hollow. His death was ruled
Rick
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Do you remember the time you picked up a book by an author that you hadn’t read? The queasiness and unease that you felt? Should you spend the money on the unknown author, or pick up the book by an author that you already know that you’ll enjoy the book? Those were the feelings that I had after I requested this book. Come with me and let’s peel the cover back together and find out if I made the right choice or not.

Three lives forever changed by the death of one young man. Three lives searching f
Amanda Stephan
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. I can't explain why some books grab my attention better than others. Maybe it's the way the author writes. Maybe it's the story line or the content. Maybe it's a throw-away phrase on the backmatter that beckoned me. Or maybe it's all the above tightly woven into a complex novel that registers on a deeply emotional level.

This isn't a book that should be read as quickly as possible. This is a deep, rich novel filled with nuggets of wisdom and truth that must be chewe
Sally
Billy Coffey was new to me when I read When Mockingbirds Sing last year. I had questions at the end of it, and hoped they would be answered in his book which, I presumed, would be a sequel. It seems, however, that Coffey doesn’t write his Mattingly books in chronological order. An author’s note at the start of The Devil Walks in Mattingly states that it is set four years BEFORE the events in When Mockingbirds Sing. So, if you were hoping to read more about Leah and Allie and the town’s recovery ...more
Lindsay
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Haunting tale of how three people in a small Virginia town live with the sins of their shared past. Coffey's descriptions are so thought-provoking and colorful. An answer from one of the main characters to the other's question asking if he's a good man is quite simple yet deep - "There's none good, there's only grace and hard trying."
Gayle Pace
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW

The title gave me the feeling that this would be one of those books you only read with someone around. I love scary stories but for some reason the cover of the book kind of gave me chills for some reason. This was definitely one I had to read.

I read that all of the author's stories are written with Mattingly, Virginia as the setting. So that's where this book begins. Mattingly on the surface appears to be a quiet, small town where nothing exciting happens.

The author takes you back 20 year
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Critical Condition
  • Friend Me
  • Hidden in the Stars (Quilts of Love, #21)
  • A Stitch in Crime (Quilts of Love, #25)
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics, #1)
  • The Sinners' Garden
  • Severed Trust (Men of the Texas Rangers, #4)
  • The Brotherhood Conspiracy (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #2)
  • Scraps of Evidence (Quilts of Love, #14)
  • Soul's Gate (Well Spring #1)
  • Kill Shot (White Knights #2)
  • Wounds
  • Admission
  • Dark Deception (Defenders of Justice #2)
  • The Thirteenth Demon, Altar of the Spiral Eye
  • Act of Betrayal (Spycatcher #7)
  • Vernon House
  • Chameleon (The Ravensmoore Chronicles #2)
Billy and his wife, Joanne, live with their two children in the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains. A product of his small-town locale, Billy counts as assets his rural authenticity, unwavering sense of purpose, and insatiable curiosity--all of which tend to make his front porch a comfortably crowded place.
“Some pasts exist as a fog that rolls in and out of the present, formed not by air that condenses into mist but memories that condense into tiny doors that open to forgotten moments. Maybe you glance at a stranger on a crowded street who reminds you of a childhood friend or hear a song that was popular the first summer you fell in love, and in the space of that single beat of time you are flung backward to a who or when long past. And yet it is only for that one beat. Those tiny doors never remain open for long for most of us. They ensure our former times are kept as relics, and the dust upon them is wiped clean only occasionally” 9 likes