Start by marking “Restless: Because You Were Made for More” as Want to Read:
Restless: Because You Were Made for More

Restless: Because You Were Made for More

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,551 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Do You Feel Like You're Missing Something? Jennie Allen, founder of If: Gathering, directs you on how to find the best way to use your spiritual gifts.

What if this feeling wasn’t a bad thing? It could be a longing for more of God and a catalyst to living the life that was designed before the foundations of the earth were laid.

A lot of us, if we’re honest, are afraid. We ho
Published January 14th 2014 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Restless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restless

katie
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I appreciate a book written on the topic of calling, and I like that this one invites introspection and self-evaluation, but unfortunately Restless belongs to the growing population of Christian-chick-self-help books: not well-written, loosely focused on Scripture, and theologically watered down. Perhaps I'm not the intended audience for this book. I wanted more protein and less fluff. Also, having led a group of women studying this book, I should add that the structure of the book is awkward, i ...more
Debbie Dodson
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
Cannot even say how much I loved this book -- the theme, the encouragement, the challenges, the dares, etc. What's it about? From the back of the book, it "explores practical ways to identify the threads of your life and how to intentionally weave them together." This book guides you in ways to do that in such a practical, encouraging, and challenging ways.

And I loved the author's writing style. Listen to just this sentence, "Some of us have decorated our prison walls so beautifully that we have
Karen Deblieck
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written book that calls all women to serve their God fully. Jennie's rich and candid prose makes it feel as if you are having a conversation with an old friend over coffee. And when she spoke of the look of longing she saw in other women's eyes I recognized her words to be true. I would recommend this to my girlfriends. Useful for those who have had any major life challenges or who are just "getting through their days". Although I didn't agree theologically with the entirity of it ...more
Catherine Gillespie
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: faith, balance
Jennie Allen’s interactive book (not a Biblestudy–I’m not sure why it’s billed that way) Restless: Because You Were Made for More has some helpful points about considering whether your vague restless feeling is God calling you to a bigger purpose and seeking Him more deeply.

I appreciated that Allen led off with an admission that our culture, even church culture, encourages an often obsessive amount of self-focus. She is up front about how a lot of times we just need to get over ourselves and get
Kimberly Sutor
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I owned this book nearly a year before I read it. All in God's timing, right? But the minute I began, it was a game-changer. I had been "sitting in God's waiting room" for over a year. This book helped me literally map-out where He was leading me, and what my new ministry would be.

If you're looking for direction.....read - and pray through - this book. God will speak when it's time. Maybe this is your time! :)
Amanda Cain
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The very same day that I picked up a copy of Jennie Allen’s Anything on the bargain rack at my local Christian bookstore, I had the opportunity to review her new book Restless. And while I have not yet read Anything, I found myself unable to put down Restless.

A book about dreams, calling, purpose, and bringing Glory to God, Restless touched my soul and gave me wings.

Through sharing her own personal life experiences, the stories of some of the people closest to her, and the Biblical account of t
Kendra
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, nonfiction
This book lives on the shelf with Helpful Gamechanging spiritual reads. I can't think of the last book that was *this* practical and inspiring. My middle name is Restless, so the theme especially spoke to me. I participated in the online chats with Jennie Allen and Jamie Ivey which drove home how needed this message of encouraging women to live in the fullness of their Christ-given callings is. The text itself is well-written but very simple. I gave this book 5 stars because of the reader respon ...more
Kasandra Brown
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Restless is the perfect adjective for how I've been feeling this year. I loved this book. It gave me just the nudge I needed to find direction and take 20 seconds of courage and do something. At one point she says maybe I need to quit worrying about my motivations and just use the gifts I've been given...so applicable to where I was. I'm not sure how this would work as a group study, but for a personal study that I took my time getting through, it was amazing. I'd encourage you to really do the ...more
Lindsey
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 60-in-2016
Through scripture and journaling, Jennie Allen invites you to untangle the threads of your life and discover God's purpose for you.

This is the book you pick up when you feel--as the title suggests--restless. For me, personally, my call feels insignificant in the face of mission fields and church plants, so these words were timely and the soul-searching got me asking lots of questions and helped me discover themes and passions I didn't realize I had.
Pam
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The first third or so, I didn't quite understand. Plus, I cheated cos I just wanted to read & not do the journal assignments. By the end, I was with her, so I'll read it again, slow, do the assignments, & MAYBE the last one where you show it all to a dear one & let that person tell you what she sees.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book—it was encouraging and the journal prompts at the end of each chapter follow the story of Joseph and his trails as we plot our own lives and discover how those things that we thought were meant for evil could be meant for good. I would highly recommend this to anyone wondering how their life experiences might impact their purpose.
Josiah
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book on listening to the story God is writing through your story. It's beautifully written, challenging, and honest (yes, cheesy on occasion). It's aimed at women, but it's applicable for men, as well. Definitely worth engaging.
Bonnie
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The second half of this book is excellent and worth muddling thru the first half for. Very insightful. The journal exercises were useful.
Erin Henry
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much better than I expected. Worth reading and answering the questions just for the insights you get about your life.
Kelly Shank
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Restless describes so many of us, in a variety of ways. We try to balance the various parts of our lives but at the same time, we question ourselves. I believe that most women reach a point when they wonder if they are living their best life and making the difference that they were designed to make. At the same time, when we give ourselves time to dream, we feel guilty or lack confidence to move forward.

“This is a book about facing the God of the universe and answering to him about the life and
Heather
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I deeply appreciate how real Jennie is about pursuing purpose in the everyday, where you are, with the people in your life and gifts you already have. She challenges the reader to set aside fear and insecurities, and embrace big dreams. Chasing big dreams doesn't necessarily mean abandoning everything you've ever had, but instead using your past and your present to build a future of serving God.

I particularly identify with Jennie's testimony of how she's not called to be a homemaker alone, but a
Kim
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, this was another nudge and push to move away from my comfort zone. Similar to the beginning of Anything, this one closed with a challenge to live like I believe there is more than I'm currently experiencing. It's okay to imagine a different experience and to feel a bit restless today - that's God.

Being restless is not an excuse for poor or average work in the "wait" bc God expects great work that reflects His character wherever we are (i.e. Joseph). However, decorating a prison cell
Julie Ruch
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Christian NonFiction Disjointed

Ms. Allen has a good point, that we need to be purposeful in our lives to fulfill God's plan for us, rather than living in uncertainty or fear.

She takes the reader through some common sense steps to help determine their calling while at the same time emphasizing an awareness of the needs of those around us.

Good points, but presented in a rather scatter-brained narrative.

More troubling, Joel 2:28 is used as a foundational verse, but taken out of context. She uses
Casey Daniels
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! I feel thoroughly encouraged and empowered to run the race that God is calling me to run. Jennie does a fantastic job tying together scripture with real stories of people who surrendered to God and saw Him work in their lives. This is a great reminder of how all believers must fix their eyes on Jesus and not become distracted with every day responsibilities that try to keep us from dreaming and living those dreams. I highly recommend to everyone - everyone needs to be reminded that ...more
Amy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Jennie Allen challenges me to think about how the pieces or threads of my life can be woven together to be used for God's purposes. I need to reread this slowly, taking time to reflect on the journal prompts she provides. But even without doing that yet, there are so many sentences in this book that made me stop and pause, comforted me that others share my experiences while prodding me to think and act differently. Allen is an approachable writer without oversimplifying or relying on truisms.
Tammy
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book could have gotten the point across in fewer pages. However, the overall content was really good. Especially at my particular season of life. It was challenging and made you really think about what god wants you to do in your life. That it doesn't have to look only one way. Be creative! Don't be afraid to step out and follow His plan for your life. Even when it goes against the "usual" in your world. Good book! Challenging!
Stephanie Toigo
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was huge for me in taking some next steps in my life. It helped me determine and ask amazing questions like how God has crafted my passions and His plan for my life. It helped me see how He was aligning things. And her words about being a mom and letting God fill in the gaps, encouraged me to pursue grad school. So thankful for this book.
Tamika Rybinski
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book wrecked and rocked me spiritually and emotionally. I will be going through the journaling portion as long as it takes. i can see what a powerful impact it will have on my life.

I am thankful for this book. I am expecting blessings from the work God and I will put in together as a result .

I recommend this to everyone!
Janice
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt lost and unmotivated for quite some time. With the help of this book, I come to realize that He has a plan for me. Though I may not be patient with His timing, what I am doing now is preparing me for the next phase. Renewing my focus on Him and His Word. Great Bible study!
Tori
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This takes a lot of time to read because of all the thought that needs to be put in it. It's a great way to take account of your life and discover things about yourself you may not have known/admitted. I need to re-read it with consistency and diligence. Great book and well-written.
Rosareading
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I save 5 stars for the most life-changing books ever, and I suppose really I should give this book 5 stars. I'll probably come back and change it in the future.
It's been life-changing, honestly. I feel more free to go towards my passions, for God, and with confidence.
Kayla Hollatz
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the journal prompts that were sprinkled all around the book! If you are in a place where you are feeling restless and unsettled with your calling, this is a great spirit-led book to pick up. Part Two was my favorite!
Kamil
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The general message was good but I felt like some of it was problematic. As a black woman, I was bothered by the author's need to keep mentioning Africa as if it was a country and also as if it was at times, something bad.
Linda
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The book helped me to understand my being restless. I still struggle to figure out what to do, and am stepping out to do 'something'. I appreciated the study/parallel with Joseph's life, so if nothing else, I have a deeper understanding and appreciation for his life and trials to save a nation.
Misty
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought it was pretty repetitive and not all that engaging. There are a few grammatical errors and I find it hard to get past that. It just left me more unsure about things in my already shaky faith.
  • Chasing God
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live
  • Every Bitter Thing Is Sweet: Tasting the Goodness of God in All Things
  • Let's All Be Brave: Living Life with Everything You Have
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Love Idol: Letting Go of Your Need for Approval - and Seeing Yourself Through God's Eyes
  • Savor: Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Rhinestone Jesus: Saying Yes to God When Sparkly, Safe Faith Is No Longer Enough
  • Interrupted: An Adventure in Relearning the Essentials of Faith
  • Steadfast Love: The Response of God to the Cries of Our Heart
  • Barefoot Church: Serving the Least in a Consumer Culture
  • Wild in the Hollow: On Chasing Desire and Finding the Broken Way Home
  • Wherever the River Runs: How a Forgotten People Renewed My Hope in the Gospel
Jennie Allen is a passionate leader and visionary following God's call to inspire women to encounter the invisible God. With a Master's in Biblical Studies from DTS, Jennie is the author of two Bible studies, Stuck, a CBA best-seller, and Chase, and the ECPA "New Author of the Year" winner of Anything and Restless, which also includes a DVD-based study. The founder of IF: Gathering, Jennie, and he ...more
More about Jennie Allen

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“We have to deal with fear because it is possible that it will make us miss the best parts of life.” 6 likes
“There is an art to living that is far above the base human instinct of survival. I want to live beautifully.” 6 likes