Start by marking “Werewolf Sings the Blues” as Want to Read:
Werewolf Sings the Blues

Werewolf Sings the Blues (A Midnight Magic Mystery #2)

If Vivian's life had a soundtrack, every song would be the Blues Pushin' Thirty (Hard Life Takes Its Toll) Singer Going Nowhere Fast Mysterious Stalker Got a Hold on Me Bullets, Blood, and Fur Long Lost Werewolf Daddy Done Me Wrong Ain't No Pack War Gonna Keep Me Down Love on the Run (feat. Sexy Jason) Melting in His Icy Eyes She's No Good (Born Under a Bad Moon) Don't Let ...more
Published March 8th 2014 by Midnight Ink (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Werewolf Sings the Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Werewolf Sings the Blues

Cassandra
Apr 14, 2017 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts – 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***I choose what I read and review based on what intrigues me!! Yes, I got a review copy of this book, but no one tells me what to think, feel, or write about any book!

The cover is what attracted me to the book as well as the blurb. Life distracted me for a while, but I’m trying to get the books read that I promised I would.

This is the 2nd book in the series, but in the timeline of events this book happens before book 1. I think you can read thes
Stephanie  G
Mar 31, 2014 Stephanie G rated it really liked it
Vivian is getting close to thirty and her singing career is at a standstill. She does little gigs, but they’re just getting her by. She thinks she’s developing a stalker when a tall blue-eyed man shows up everywhere. After singing at a wedding she discovers he’s protecting her. Bullets, car chases and werewolves fly as the two race across the U.S. before the they’re caught. Along the way the chemistry between the pair builds.

Werewolf Sings the Blues is the second book in A Midnight Magic Mystery
Alice Liu
Mar 17, 2014 Alice Liu rated it it was amazing
What I really like about Jennifer Harlow is that she allows her heroines to be imperfect. In the case of Werewolf Sings the Blues, Vivian is so imperfect that I cringed and fumed for at least 50% of the book. I've been around the block (hell, I lived through the 1980's) so not much shocks me. Yet, Vivian's drug use and her seemingly inevitable road to crack whore obscurity in the beginning of the book really set off my disgust meter. Once kidnapped, she continues to indulge that archetypal patte ...more
Tiffani
Mar 13, 2014 Tiffani rated it it was ok
Werewolf Sings the Blues is the second book in Jennifer Harlow’s Midnight Magic Mystery, though the events in the book actually take place before the first book in the series (What’s a Witch to Do?). Between the two, I liked the witch book a bit more than this one.

One reason why I had trouble connecting to this story was the main character, Vivian. I don’t believe one has to necessarily like a character to like the story. (Gone Girl is an example where the main characters are totally unlikeable
Beth
Oct 04, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Werewolf Sings the Blues grew on me slowly and by the end I was hooked. Once the story got rolling, I was all in to the adventure. There was a good balance of humor, sexual tension and mystery adding the perfect amount of intrigue to the plot.

Jason, although socially inept, was my favorite character with his unyielding loyalty and ability to take action when needed.

I'm not a fan of open drug use but again that is something resolved during Jason and Vivian's journey.

I did love watching the pro
ALPHAreader
Aug 20, 2013 ALPHAreader rated it liked it
Vivian Dahl is one tough cookie. She doesn’t let life get her down, even when her singing career has stalled with wedding receptions, her family could care less about her and two divorces say she’s an asshole-magnet. Oh, and she’s not even thirty yet.

So when two US Marshals come knocking, Vivian isn’t all that surprised that one of the men from her life has landed her in hot water – she just never expected it’d be the first man who ran out on her, her father.

But what Vivian can’t wrap her head
Landslide
*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

Werewolf Sings the Blues is a prequel of What's a Witch to Do?, one of my favorite reads in 2013. So the expectations were very high and, luckily they were completely fulfilled!

The story takes place eight years before What's a Witch to Do? and tells us the story of Vivian and Jason that those who read the previous book already know how it ends, since they are both characters on that book.

Vivian’s life is in a downward spiral:
Melliane
Jan 25, 2014 Melliane rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I really liked the first novel, so I was curious to find out what the author has in store for us for this new volume. I admit that I did not pay attention to the synopsis, and it’s true that I was surprised not to find the following adventures of Mona at the beginning of the novel. But while I realized that we would follow Vivien this time, I was also surprised to see that the environment was also very different from the first one. You then imagine that
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Werewolf Sings the Blues is the second book in Jennifer Harlow's Midnight Magic Mystery series but not at all what I expected after reading the first, What's a Witch to Do?

“Vivian Frances Dahl, daughter to Frank and Michelle, I am here to protect you and deliver you to safety. No harm will come to you, I swear on my life, but we must leave now. Please get in the car. Now.”

When a pair of US Marshall's turn up at a gig to ask singer Vivian Dahl questions about her father, she is surprised, given
Anne
Oct 24, 2013 Anne rated it did not like it
I read the first Midnight Magic Mystery, What's a Witch to Do?, which actually takes place 8 years AFTER Werewolf. I remember enjoying it, so I was looking forward to Werewolf. Werewolf is darker with no real mystery or romance (it is marketed as a mystery).

All of the main characters are damaged, especially Vivian, who was led to believe her father abandoned her as an infant (and essentially he did, despite whether it was in her own best interests)and lived with a disinterested mother and step
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

While serving up her usual mystery, romance and humor, Harlow’s second Midnight Magic Mystery, WEREWOLF SINGS THE BLUES, failed to live up to my (admittedly high) expectations. I loved WHAT’S A WITCH TO DO, and was hoping for more of the same here. Unfortunately, Vivian was a hard character for me to like, and I couldn’t get into the developing relationship, making it hard to enjoy the book.

Part of the issue – and this is definitely a personal preferen
Shy The WidowMaker
Oct 07, 2013 Shy The WidowMaker rated it liked it
I have to say that I was interested in reading this book because I loved the first one in this series and thought it was a sequel but it reads more like a prequel to the series. We start this series out by meeting Vivian who we learn is messes up in so many ways but yet you still want to root for her. Vivan has had a rough go at life but she is an amazing singer and is still waiting for that day to pay off that she gets her big break. Vivi quickly learns that there are parts of her life that she ...more
Vilia
Jun 28, 2013 Vilia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Backchatting Books

"Werewolf Sings the Blues" is set quite a few years before the first novel in the series. Wedding singer Vivian discovers that she is in danger as her estranged father is an alpha werewolf. She gets drawn into a territory war between packs and along the way starts to fall for her adopted brother Jason.

Vivian's life hasn't been easy as she was abandoned by her father, neglected by her mother and step-father and can't get a break in the music industry she loves. She t
Gaele
Oct 15, 2013 Gaele rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley

After a slow start and some scrambling to get necessary details that helped to clear up the question about Vivian’s bad attitude, the story moved into a fast-paced road story, light on the mystery but very heavy on action, violence and substance abuse. While I haven’t read any other books by this author, nor had I read the first in this series, all of the information needed to find my way in this story was provided, and I didn’t end with great gaps of information.

Vivian has issues, LOTS of issu
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
Werewolf Sings the Blues takes if I'm not mistaken place eight years before the first Midnight Magic Mystery book, What's a With to Do. I did like the idea of reading Vivian and Jason's story of how they came to be together but it wasn't as good as the previous book. Overall I did like it but I didn't love it.

Vivian wasn't at all how I pictured her. In the beginning of the book as we get to know her we find out she uses drugs, drinks a lot and tries to make a living of singing which hasn't work
Jodie
Feb 04, 2015 Jodie rated it did not like it
Okay what the fuck did I just read ?! Or should I say what the fuck did I 'did not finish'

Heebus jeebus that was one rotten stink of a train wreck.

The main heroine (who is so exciting I can't even remember her name ) is seriously the biggest whiner on the planet.

Boo hoo my daddy left me, boo hoo my mummy neglects me, boo hoo I'm gaunt and too skinny , boohoo I don't have a music career, boohoo a hot guy just saved my life, boohoo boohoo,boo fucking hoo.

Seriously get a god damn clue. You're a nea
Kelly
Nov 06, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I'm going to preface this review by saying I have issues with parental-type characters keeping big, life-altering secrets from other characters. This isn't something new. I get a little rage-y at times over it. That said, I was able to overlook some of the things kept from Vivian and while I didn't always understand how she was able to let things slide when she had been lied to and lied to and lied to, it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Now that I've said that... dude, Viv. Your family is kinda wha
Suspense Magazine
Jul 21, 2014 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
I’ve been a fan of Jennifer Harlow’s work since the first book in her wildly creative investigative series, The F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad and while certainly more adult oriented than I remember her other tales to be, “Werewolf Sings the Blues” is just as lively.
Vivian Dahl’s life has become mundane. An aging wedding singer—yep, that’s her claim to fame—she’s not living the life. Drugs, sex, and not much rock n’ roll have taken their toll and Vivian feels like most who haven’t realized their dreams, she
Talk Supe
Nov 02, 2013 Talk Supe rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
The premise is good but the tipping point came late IMO. More later

#SpringCleaningRAT

=====================
Talk Supe review

The plot of WEREWOLF SINGS THE BLUES was tense and full of intrigue. You have power struggles, a vulnerable pack, loyalty issues, forbidden love, and lots of secrets. The tipping point came very late in the story which affected my view of the climax, conflict and resolution. I think if the shocking ending was the climax, it would've provided more room for Viv and Jason's char
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
This book takes place quite a few years before the action in What's a Witch to Do? so in essence it is more like a prequel than a sequel. I actually liked the idea of getting to now some of the secondary characters from the first book a little bit better. And since I now know that this series is not a cozy mystery...my expectations going into this one were much more realistic and I didn't miss the cozy aspects as it did in the first in the series.

The pacing and writing style weren't effortless b
Beth
Feb 15, 2017 Beth rated it really liked it
fun. A bit more serious then the first and it takes place just before the first...

need the third now
Becca ~BS BOOK REVIEWERS~
So I read What’s A Witch To Do? Last year and was pleasantly surprised on how much I liked it. So I thought that I would keep up with the series and try Werewolf Sings The Blues. When I open this book it points out that this book is set 8 years before the previous. I thought to be strange, but gave it a go anyway.

I really enjoyed this book. It mentioned the characters in the previous book faintly. It is a good mix of action and romance. I loved the sarcasm and banter of the characters. This book
Melody
Nov 11, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
3.5 stars I bought this book as a Halloween read, but when I started it i disliked the main character so much I put it aside. She is a self absorbed whining, drug using flake. Then I ran out of books so gave it another try. I still disliked the main character but the story got a little more interesting with a tall blond guy stalking her and then a US Marshal tries to kidnap her. It got interesting after that. It turns out the father who abandoned her as a small child is the alpha werewolf on the ...more
Emily
Mar 24, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok
Well, I really liked the last Harlow book. This one, not quite as much. I would have finished it if I would have had more time with the E-Galley, but alas, it expired. Now it is a DNF because it didn’t really grab me. It was a road trip with a werewolf. I wasn’t worried about the main character and I didn’t want to see her and the werewolf get together. They were step-siblings. So I have no drive to make an effort to find a copy of the book to see what happens. I know she’ll be fine and I don’t ...more
Jennifer Reed
Feb 10, 2014 Jennifer Reed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
When Vivian’s father suddenly shows up back into her life, everything goes to hell fast. She is suddenly on the run with a guy who claims to be a werewolf. Jason has been sent by her father to bring her back to the pack, and when she gets there she has a short time with her father before they are attacked and he is killed. The characters are very likeable, and the story line was great. This was a fun read, with a few twists and turns in the plot. And the suspense of who betrayed the pack had you ...more
Dr susan
Oct 11, 2013 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
I love Jennifer Harlow's books. I did not love Vivian for close to half of Werewolf. I did not expect to give Werewolf Sings the Blues 5 stars, but a girl does what a girl has to do. So I pulled on my big girl panties and admitted that I like this book. Readers should know that Harlow does not hesitate to make the hard choice and kill a character after she has made you like her/him; that is especially true in this book. Werewolf may be the darkest of the books set in the FREAKS world. I do not u ...more
Tanya Smart
I picked this book up because I really enjoyed "What's a Witch to Do?" While the general plot was completely different, the love portion was identical. Forbidden love, lots of "this could never work", lots of male protagonist not telling female protagonist what's going on... blah, blah.

The action was good. The romance was a huge let-down. In a way, I think she was trying to tie the two novels together in a "See? This is why Adam kept calling Vivian in the first book" way, but I think overall thi
Feb 12, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it
Not even sure what to call this series, genre-wise. This turned out to be a prequel, rather than a sequel in the Midnight Magic series, which annoyed me enough that I never even took it out of my library bag until it was time to turn it in.

Life's too short to spend time on books that annoy right off the bat! ;) And with "book 3" actually taking place before book 1 again, I think I will give it a pass as well.

I still like the FREAKS series, but this one has lost me.
Ann
Nov 21, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
I liked this story. Vivian finds out her missing father is the alpha of the east coast werewolves. She discovers he has been present at all the important events in her life and his second in command comes to protect her from some rogue wolves. The story is well written and has a good storyline.
ette
This was good. I got it because I liked the characters in her first book of series. I didn't like this protagonist as much. As well, since the first book is set eight years after this one, a reasonable chunk of the story was already given away, but if you read this one first, it gives away part of the first book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Swept Away Volume Two (Swept Away #2)
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Phantoms #2)
  • Kissed by a SEAL (Hope Falls Kindle World)
  • Rush: A MacKenzie Family Novella (MacKenzie World, #1)
  • Summer Dreaming (Hot in the Hamptons)
  • Climax (Her British Stepbrother #3)
  • His Undercover Princess (Tempt Me, #1)
  • Lying in Bed
  • Smooth Sailing (Stop The Wedding, #2)
  • Keeper of the Shadows (The Keepers: L.A. #3)
  • Kiss of a Stranger (Lost Coast Harbor, #1)
  • Fearless
  • Seeing the Dead (Relatively Dead, #2)
  • Playing by the Greek's Rules (Puffin Island, #0.5)
  • Summer Sins
  • Temping Is Hell (Necessary Evil, #1)
  • Rekindle the Flame (Hot in Chicago, #0.5)
Jennifer Harlow spent her restless childhood fighting with her three brothers and scaring the heck out of herself with horror movies and books. She grew up to earn a degree at the University of Virginia which she put to use as a radio DJ, crisis hotline volunteer, bookseller, lab assistant, wedding coordinator, and government investigator. Currently she calls Northern Virgina home but that restles ...more
More about Jennifer Harlow...

A Midnight Magic Mystery (3 books)
  • What's a Witch to Do? (A Midnight Magic Mystery #1)
  • Witch Upon a Star