Start by marking “40 Humourous British Traditions” as Want to Read:
40 Humourous British Traditions

40 Humourous British Traditions

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  12 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Britain has many well documented, yet strange traditions such as Bog Snorkelling, Bonfire Night, Cheese Rolling and Haxey Hood. This book describes 40 more traditions in a similar vein, all of which are less well known. Read about Turtle Rinsing in London, Arrow Catching in Staffordshire, and Animal Gambling in the Forest of Dean. Discover where a Duck Quacking contest, a ...more
Published June 1st 2013 by Mirador Publishing

To ask other readers questions about 40 Humourous British Traditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 40 Humourous British Traditions

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of 40 Humourous British Traditions
Paul Falk
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While rummaging through NetGalley, I came across this one. Again. Maybe the fifth time. I paid it little mind. Why would I? It held little promise. Plain as day, it just wasn't serious enough. Really? That thought echoed, "Serious enough for what?" I didn't realize I'd become my own victim. For that, I enjoyed a good laugh at my own expense. Not the first time. A most recognizable voice inside me demanded, "Get the book Paul." Expletive left out. I listened and finally came to my senses.
Julian Worker
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's my book and quite inventive even though I say so myself.

40 traditions that should exist in Britain but don't yet do so.

Britain has many well documented, yet strange traditions such as Bog Snorkelling, Bonfire Night, Cheese Rolling and Haxey Hood. In this book read about the less well known traditions such as Turtle Rinsing in London, Arrow Catching in Staffordshire, and Animal Gambling in the Forest of Dean. Discover where a Duck Quacking contest, a Pipe Cleaner Fest
Nathan Albright
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge2017
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Books Go Social/Net Gallery.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

This is a book that is aimed at a particular audience of which I happen to be part of, people who are fond of humorous books about people and animals who have a fondness for and a knowledge of Great Britain and its love of eccentric people [1].  As I happen to be a somewhat eccentric fellow and also someone fond of Great Britain, I found a great deal to appreciate here
Janet
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the publisher --- Readers will find out a lot about British humour by reading this book.
Emmie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was quite gobsmacked. I had to remind myself that this is non fiction, some of these traditions sounded pure storybook. I never knew that the human race could be quite so creative and bored to think up some of these traditions. I mean turtle rinsing, duck quacking and animal gambling to name a few.

A book that will have prde of place on my bookshelf. Highly amusing read!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the opportunity to read and review this book.
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, netgalley
Any book that includes a 'Squirrel containment officer' is a book I know i'm going to enjoy. I so very much wish that all of these traditions were real because I would make it my mission to go and watch each and every one of them and take photos!!

*Huge thanks to Julian Worker, BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for this copy which I chose to read and all opinions are my own*
Annarella
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book: it is entertaining and full of humour and curious stories of British tradition.
I recommended it if you want to be entertained and learn about some curious traditions at the same time
Many thanks to Netgalley and BookGoSocial
Pam H
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I chose this to read while driving to Florida, knowing there would be distractions. What a clever, thoroughly entertaining read. With so many dark, disconnected books and shows being published, it was a refreshing way to entertain myself over the mile s.
Peter Schindler
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The wit reminded me of a Monty Python sketch, and the edgy humor was just right for a stormy afternoon. The Brits have a great sense of humor (nudge, nudge, know what I mean?).
Alana
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2013
Rosa Fitt-Conway
Mary Burrows
Nicola
Oct 21, 2016
I was born in Leicester. I attended school in Yorkshire and university in Liverpool.

I have been to 94 countries and territories including the Balkans and Armenia in 2015, France and Slovakia in 2016, Greece in 2017, and Portugal, Spain, Poland, Ukraine, and Moldova in 2018.

My sense of humour is distilled from The Goons, Monty Python, The Fast Show, Brass, Fawlty Towers, and