Start by marking “Mouseton Abbey: The Missing Diamond” as Want to Read:
Mouseton Abbey: The Missing Diamond

Mouseton Abbey: The Missing Diamond

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
An adorable tale about the mice of Mouseton Abbey!

It's Cheesemas at "Mouseton Abbey." And at Cheesemas, the Mouseton family pass around the Great Big Cheesy Diamond and everyone gets to make a wish. But this year, there's a problem. The house is clean, the feast is being prepared, but the Great Big Cheesy Diamond is missing!

Join Lord Mouseton and his servants as they searc
Published September 2nd 2013 by Make Believe Ideas (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mouseton Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouseton Abbey

Victoria
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such gorgeous illustrations
Heidi
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
This is absolutely gorgeous. Between the obvious links to a television show that shall remain nameless, the delightful knitted mice, and the writing, which made me giggle on every page, it's absolutely priceless.

I do rather wish that knitting patterns for the mice were included, but I rather hope that I will be able to work out how to crochet them eventually. :-)

Meanwhile, I strongly hope that there will be more Mouseton Abbey books on the way.
Thebruce1314
I just happened to see this book while out shopping yesterday - knitted mice, cute story and Downton Abbey references? Yes please. But I put it back on the shelf, trying to resist...until my dad surprised me with it when we got home. The story is good, if a little "cheesy", but of course I think that is what the author was going for. The illustrations are really sweet and unique, and I think this will be a fun book to share. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the lack of a nod t ...more
Allie
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The plot is lame, but the concept is really delightful, and I love anthropomorphic mice.
Holly Pantle
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute story. Totally got it because I am a Downton Abbey fan. :) Cannot wait to read it to my niece.
diane
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a very cute children's book!
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
I will also do a video review here at my channel: http://www.youtube.com/magicofbooks

"Mouseton Abbey: The Missing Diamond" by Joanna Bicknell and Nick Page is a children's picture book that follows the Mouseton family on Cheesemas Eve as they search for the missing Great Big Cheesy Diamond that grants wishes every year.

I'm a huge fan of the "Downton Abbey" series, so obviously I had to check out this cute little children's picture book (I think there's another book called "Downton Tabby" that I'
Aaron
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun little picture book that fans of Downton Abbey will totally eat up! Mouseton Abbey, which is clearly based on the show, introduces readers to the family and servants of the estate. It is very cute in its creativity, with all of the knitted mice having names relating to cheese. The characters also match up quite nicely with the characters on the show.

In this particular book, which I am assuming will be the first in a series, Roquefort, the Earl of Mouston, makes his way throughout t
Heidi-Marie
I saw this in Barnes & Noble and skimmed really quickly. Enough that I smiled, but I had no time to read all the text. So now that the library has a copy, I managed time to read. First, the crocheted mice are adorable. Definitely my favorite part. Well, favorite right up there with their names! Hilarious! As a cheese lover, I very much enjoyed that. The story was all right. A little eh, but not bad. Kids don't need to be (and I would hope aren't!) familiar with its origin to get the humor. T ...more
Suzanne
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
For parents who watch Downton Abbey, now they can read this to their children! Adorably knitted mouse figures portray the family and their servants; all named after cheeses; Roquefort, the Earl of Mouseton, Lady Brie, Miss Swiss etc. With the subtitle "The Missing Diamond", forgetful Lord Mouseton loses the family's Great Big Cheesy Diamond and we follow him and the rest of the characters all through the mansion. Of course in the end the diamond is found in what is hopefully a surprising place a ...more
Debbie
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
As a lover of Downton Abbey, this cute children's book called, Mousetown Abbey, was a great gift given to me. The characters are all mice (of course) and have basically all the Lords and Ladies, Dowagers, and secants as Downton. The story was cute about Roquefort, Earl of Mouseton, misplacing the very important Cheesy Diamond that was used each Cheesemas.

I guess I was expecting a more adult storyline, but it was still cute. Just being a Downton Abbey fan, having this book, Mouseton Abbey on my b
Claudine
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a clever book! The artwork is fun and exciting. The little mice are knitted and posed in different rooms in the estate called Mouseton Abbey. The story is fun...it's a mystery of the missing cheesy diamond. My daughter loves mysteries and I thought this spin on my favorite PBS series was brilliant. She enjoyed the story and appreciated the art. After reading it out loud to me, she went back through the book to look at the pictures.

I love books that are unique and clever and this one is a k
Teresa Wainwright
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I saw this adorable book going out on special in a local bookstore and it was so cute that I bought two copies (one to keep and one to give away). I love the cheese-based character names, the knitted mice and the illustrations. It would have been nice to have the knitting patterns so that the book could have been given as a gift accompanied by a couple of the characters. As the storyline has a Christmas theme it would make a lovely Christmas gift for a young child, and if their parents are Downt ...more
Sue
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Adorable illustrations and cute story set in a replica of Downton Abbey called Mouseton Abbey. Love the cheese names for the characters and the fact they are knitted mice with clothes. (You have to see the book to know what I mean and see how adorable they are.) If you are a Downton Abbey addict as I am, you will relate to the book and find it fun to read and share with children. A great read aloud book to children. Fun story for kids even though they won't have any Downton Abbey context.
Katie Lebkuecher
Opening:

Has anyone heard of or seen the TV show Downton Abbey? Mouseton Abbey was inspired by that show. Let me tell you a little about Mouseton Abbey and the mice who live there (read “A Brief History” and introduce characters). The illustrations are pictures of mouse dolls that somebody knitted.
Diane
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, spring-14
I picked this up from the "Downton Abbey" table at my local B&N. Took me about 5 minutes to read it and I spent more time analyzing the illustrations (photographs of knitted mice placed on a backdrop of pencil/watercolor). Cute. Funny. (It involves a huge cheese-diamond) Cute for those who love Downton Abbey and have young children or grandchildren.
Claire
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
While the concept is adorable, almost as adorable as the crocheted mice pictured, the plot line is severely lacking. It could have been told in far less pages (possibly making it less boring once it is less stretched out, to get all the characters in, I suspect). The writing style is lacking, as though repetition is the only thing needed for children. I am keeping it mostly for the pictures.
Sonia Reppe
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The photos of the crocheted mice were adorable, but the story was weak. I was bothered that the action (if you can call it that) took place on Cheesemas day--it just didn't work for me. It sounds like an interesting holiday; what is it about? Some would think it's an obvious parallel to Christmas, but then why not show a tree or hanging stockings?
Jodie
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the PBS series, so when this awesome kids picture book arrived at the store, I could not resist. What a cute story. I really enjoyed this one. All the characters from the show jump off the page. What a great way to share this wonderful series with the little people in your life.
Elaine
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Naturally, I was intrigued! What Downton Abbey fan wouldn't be?!! Disappointed, though. I just couldn't get into the story. The book really seems to be all about the knitted mice figures, not the story. But I guess if you like mice and knitting, you might be in for a treat.
Mary Mest
Loved this! My library bought it and of course we all passed it around to read! Brilliant! However for the age range there are a lot of words on each page, this book may be best for someone over 5 or a grownup who loves Downton!
Brandy
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A children's book for parents who love Downton Abbey and/or cheese! Delightful and fun to read - the illustrations are a combination of photographs of adorable knitted/crocheted mice against lovely pen-drawn backgrounds.
Rebekah
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a cute book. I liked the knitted mice mixed with drawn illustrations and the characters names were silly. I love Downton Abbey and thought this was a funny spoof type book.
Camille White
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
haha
Mmaster
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I saw this for $3 at a newsagent and my boyfriend is currently obsessed with Downton Abbey. And then I was sitting in a waiting room for half an hour. Cute enough, I suppose.
Terisa
Sep 30, 2016 added it
Shelves: library-reads
Very Cheesy!! But the art is amazing.
Tina
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Cute, but I would've preferred real mice instead of knitted ones. I liked "Downton Tabby" better.
Anne
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The illustrations, mouse dolls against a bakcground of pen drawings, are captivating and distract from the so-so story-line.
Wendy Loewenstein
Opening
Audience
Mary Lisic
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is so cute- maybe not for the story but the concept. In fact, the history of the Abbey before the story is awesome.
Too many words for Graham to enjoy but too cute not to share on here.
Maureen
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just a precious little read for young and old. I loved the names of the Mouseton Abbey residents. Very clever.
Mira Domsky
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A silly story good for children, but with enough puns and parody to entertain parents :)
Alyse
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Love the book!!! Great story and all of the characters are named after cheeses!
J.J.
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Cute idea but kind of lacking in the story part. Cool illustrations though.
Erin
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Knit mice looking for the missing Cheese Diamond - what's not to like?
Cynthia
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and fun cheese story.
Ro  Long
So cute!
Dee
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The book was "cheesy". The knitted mice however, were too adorable!
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. The illustrations are excellent and the knitted mice are over the top. Cute story.
Shelley
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My mom got this for my little guy who loves mice. A very cute book that actually kept his attention, which is saying something since he is four. Now I want to knit a mouse....
Michelle
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even if you are not a fan of Downton Abbey, the illustration work in this book makes it worth a read. The adorable mice add a cute touch to this story.
Ellen Little
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fun for fans of Downton Abbey!
Angela
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: elementary-books
I must be missing something. I thought the plot to this book was terrible. I guess I just didn't get it because it's gotten pretty good reviews on here...
Kirsten
A very cute picture book. A play on Downton Abbey but in a way young readers would like. I'd say 4 to 7 years old. Or earlier for those being read to.
Clare
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More please. So funny and beautiful and just amazing!
Goodreads Librari...: Info fix: The Missing Diamond 6 166 Feb 06, 2014 02:27PM
  • I'm Trying to Love Spiders
  • Yeti, Turn Out the Light!
  • The Thing About Yetis
  • Laundry Day
  • Tell Me a Dragon
  • The Gigantic Turnip
  • Hello, Bumblebee Bat
Nick Page lives in Oxfordshire, UK, with his wife Claire, their three daughters and a dog called Bill.

As well as writing books, he works with a number of campaign groups and NGOs. He is also a popular speaker for churches, church weekends and other events. events, etc.

His main focus is on church history – particularly the early church. Recent work includes A Nearly Infallible History of Christiani
More about Nick Page...