Start by marking “Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!” as Want to Read:
Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!

Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!

(Bandette #1)

She is ALLURING

She is MYSTERIOUS

She is BANDETTE!

The world's greatest thief is a costumed teen burglar by the nome d'arte of Bandette! Gleefully plying her skills on either side of the law alongside her network of street urchins, Bandette is a thorn in the side of both Police Inspector Belgique and the criminal underworld. But it's not all breaking hearts and purloining ma
Published November 5th 2013 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Jan Philipzig
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, dark-horse, comedy
A stylishly nostalgic little package, the cat-burglar comic Bandette by husband-and-wife team Paul Tobin (writer) and Colleen Coover (artist) brings to mind the clear lines and bold colors of Hergé’s Tintin, the romanticized view of Paris typical of American movies from the 1950s and 60s (such as An American in Paris), and the strong, life-affirming, community-minded femininity celebrated in Marston’s early Wonder Woman comics from the 1940s. Ironically, Coover has created the book’s gorgeous re ...more
David Schaafsma
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-women, gn-crime, gn-ya
Girl bandit, wildly fun, with a Chief Inspector Dreyfus-like boss (Pink Panther), but she is no Clouseau, she is funny and fun and accomplished in martial arts, and no buffoon. She is like Robin Hood in that, while she is a thief, she steals from the rich, while she also works for the police… This is a colorful, Eisner-award-winning digital comic that has now been turned into a book, which in this volume ends with stories written by Tobin and drawn by artists other than the original artist Colle ...more
Chad
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful and fun almost all-ages read. I can't wait to read Bandette's next adventure. Bandette is a charming cat thief in Paris liberating stolen art from private individuals. She's become such a thorn in the side of F.I.N.I.S. they've decided to get rid of her. Bandette always has the perfect plan mapped out usually involving her group of irregulars.

A lovely, madcap, campy romp through the rooftops of Paris with exquisite water color art from Colleen Coover. Comics just don't get bet
Sam Quixote
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bandette feels like a comic book adaptation of a beloved yet campy 60s TV show like Adam West’s Batman, whose heroes and villains are gleefully parodying their roles, the storylines are wilfully crazy and a freewheeling sense of fun pervades the entire enterprise; but of course it isn’t. Bandette is an original comic by husband and wife team Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover starring Maxime Plouffe, a young lady and our heroine, who trips the light fantastic as her alter ego Bandette the gentlewoman ...more
George
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
So simple, so charming, so fun... nothing more is needed to put a smile on my face
Lauren
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the camp caped-crusader world of Bandette, the world's greatest thief!

Presto! was a fun and entertaining read and reminded me of 1960s Batman in a lot of ways (I suspect the illustrations and the silly dialogue had something to do with it) nevertheless, it whisked me away into France and set the scene beautifully.

Bandette is a fun, crime-loving girl who has a huge heart. Her biggest rival, Monsieur, is also looking for the biggest heist and you see them get one over each other, addi
Artemy
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful and fun little book! Campy, colorful, with a good sense of humor, it feels like some good old adventure TV show in all the best ways. And awesome artwork by Colleen Coover adds so much charm to this already great series. Perfect comic book for a quick summer read!
Sesana
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It took me the entire first issue of this collection to get into the spirit of Bandette. The tone is just so light and irreverent that it took me awhile to get into it. It isn't just irreverent, it's joyful. It isn't just Bandette herself that's joyful. By the end of the book, I was absolutely sure that both Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover were having a blast working on it. And that sense of fun is wonderfully infectious. I thought this book was cheesy after the first few pages, but by the end, I ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A simple, fun and entertaining story with a charming art style.
Phillip
Bandette is a quirky book. The main character is a thief operating in Paris. She is obsessed with books, candy, stealing, and magic (or at least saying presto). Her main competition is a man known as Monsieur. And the police enlist her help to catch other crooks rather than spending much time trying to capture her. These elements add fun to the book.

For all that, the book never really hooked me. I appreciated it more as the cast of characters expanded and the setting filled out. Bandette's idios
Amber
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I finished this book with a, "meh," kind of feeling. It was O.K but not what I was expecting. There was parts that I could see the appeal in, but for the most part it fell flat. It wasn't what I would call volume 1 material. This was because,
1) I didn't like the main character, Bandette
2) The story gave no background
3) I didn't like Bandette

I think getting to know the main character is really important in the first volume, and hopefully liking them. But, for me Bandette seem self-absorbed, a
Raina
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Part of me feels like I should have liked this more than I did. Full-color, superhero/French-style Tintinesque heisty stylized hero story, I think I was even the person who asked our library system to purchase this in the first place.
But in the crowded field of redhead femaleish gumshoe-types (Harriet the Spy! Jason Little's Bee!), The Adventures of Superhero Girl won my heart. And this left me feeling flat.
Summer
I thought the art was lovely but the story too random and full of fluff. It just wasn't for me.
Wayne McCoy
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bandette is a great comic. Light-hearted and full of fun it’s a breath of fresh air in a world of super serious post-modern comics. Bandette is a thief. She bounces around rooftops, fights with agility, all while staying one step ahead of her opponents and the law. She yells out her trademark ‘Presto!’ with a joy that seems to elude most modern comics.

She steals but isn’t above helping those in need, or assisting the law. She even helps her nemesis on the police force, Inspector Belgique, to sto
Paul
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful graphic novel that bursts forth like a ray of sunshine through the gloom of modern comic books. It is buoyant, irreverent and ingenious. Actions are always benevolent and affirming in this story of a thief with a heart of gold. I give this digitally produced work my highest recommendation.
Zoe
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, teen
Bandette is to professional thieves what Nancy Drew is to Private Investigators. She's witty, skilled, mysterious, and somehow, oddly normal. Despite her occupation she's obviously good-hearted and appreciative of the (well researched and recognizable) pieces she steals. The minimal color palette gives this a 50's feel while making it oh-so-readable, and the short stories at the end allow us to stay in the universe but get to know some of the other recurring characters.
The real treasure in this
Nostalgia Reader
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-mcl-book
A first volume that actually makes me want to read the other two installments! The story and characters are very fun, and the thieving quest, while not necessarily based in the most original motivations, sounds like so much fun to continue with. Art theft, evil organizations, and quirky characters make this a quick and enjoyable interlude read.

I'm putting in a library request for the other two volumes as I write this, which is very rare for me to do after reading any first installment of a graph
Alex Sarll
Charming crime capers set in a pastel France with the same charm as old cartoons or even Ghibli Europe, as Bandette uses misdirection and unlikely allies to pull off grand gentlewoman thefts in between teaming up with a long-suffering Lestrade type to foil more sinister offences. Though I did keep getting thrown by the way the plucky teen heroine of an essentially all-ages story had a face so reminiscent of one of the leads in another Coover-drawn series, the utterly filthy Small Favors.
Gabriela Pop
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a wild, hilarious and quirky story featuring one of the most adorable chaotic good-ish antiheroes the world has ever seen. Also featuring an impressive number of doggos AND a cat, so all in all it is a fabulous read! Also loved the francophile elements of this since it very much reads like an homage to the BDes.
Wing Kee
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charming and light!

I really enjoyed this series, I saw this series at SDCC in 2013 (I think) and immediately the art captured me. I've never read anything from both Tobin or Coover so I did not know what I was going into. What I found is a fun tale that's simple and charming and does not take itself seriously. It's really light and fun and a perfect palate cleanser from all the dark and dreary books that little the creator owned comic book landscape:

World: Colourful, whimsical, bright and full o
Skye Kilaen
I've always been a fan of Coover's fun art style, and Tobin is a good storyteller. This book knocks it out of the park! Bandette is an irrepressible Parisian teenage master thief with the proverbial heart of gold and an affinity for first editions of good books. The police love to hate her but sometimes need her help. Her rival "Monsieur" wants to save her life, even though she's after his reputation as the world's greatest thief. The ballerinas and street urchins just want to help. And poor Dan ...more
Jessica
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley
Cute and cheeky, this book was a fun read. It's imbued with french style and culture as well as lots of silly jokes and quips. Bandette is a thief who's kind of a good guy, she only steals from those she deems evil enough such as weapons dealers or criminal organizations. Her world is built up quickly and easily, and she has a slew of neighborhood friends who help her out whenever she needs it (and she needs it often!). She even has a little dog named Pimento who runs along with her. Of course, ...more
Wendy
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bandette is a fun, charming Robin Hood-esque criminal who is as much a bane to the police as to the criminals she sometimes helps them apprehend. Bandette is a cat burglar with a love for art and literature but her heart lies with her "urchins," various groups of young people within the city whom she can summon to her aid as the perfect distractions. Everyone but the bad guys and the inspector she continuously foils loves Bandette, including the handsome Danny, whom she elegantly strings along.

T
Sophie Brookover
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphicnovels, 2015
Bandette, you are the most sprightly, delightful heroine I've come across in a long time. Reader, if you enjoy capers, thieves with hearts of gold, clever literary & art historical references, and feats of derring-do, all held together with self-assured, witty dialogue, Bandette is for you. Presto!, indeed!
Julia
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn-indie
How much do I love love love Bandette? It's such a delightful blend of girl detectives, daring heists and madcap French adventures. I'd read the digital versions of this series, but I loved this edition, especially being able to read all the urchin side stories together and the process-y bits. Presto! Formidable!
Maude
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-jams
I dare you to read this book without some sort of accent and without immediately falling in love with Bandette's ridiculous sense of freedom and wit. I have now added, "Sword fight while discussing capes", to my bucket list.
mytaakeonit
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved it! So fun. Maybe a little mature. Better for 8th grade and up, probably.
Brooke
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2015-books
What fun! A completely different flavor to the other comics I've read recently. Loved the attitude and how much this book doesn't take itself too seriously. The back material is also fabulous. I'm glad they've put this digital comic out in print. Can't wait for volume 2!!
Kelda Giavaras
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In my quest to discover Graphic Novels, I wish I would have started with Bandette. She's a lovable, complicated, quirky, interesting character filled with spunk. In short, she's my kind of girl! I'm anxious to read the next two volumes.
paula
She has the grace of Pavlova, the wit of Oscar Wilde, and the joie de vivre of Grace Kelly in Rear Window. And you don't have to know any of those people to appreciate this Continental spin on a groovy caper movie. With capes!
#bookaday

• The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville, #3)
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Bad Houses
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Monster on the Hill
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • The Case of the Good Boy (Bad Machinery, #2)
  • Sumo
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • How Loathsome
Paul Tobin is the Eisner-award winning, New York Times-bestselling author of Bandette, Colder, and many other comic books and graphic series.

Bandette, drawn by Colleen Coover, was awarded the Eisner Award for Best Digital Series in 2013, 2016, and 2017; and was a finalist for the Oregon Book Award for Graphic Literature in 2016. His original graphic novel I Was the Cat was nominated for an E

Bandette (4 books)
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • Bandette, Volume 3: The House of the Green Mask
  • Bandette, Volume 4: The Six Finger Secret (Bandette, #4)
“If there is not folly in the world, then the world itself is folly. You must understand that mistakes are not always regrets.” 2 likes
“Monsieur, please stay back. You are old and frail, and I would not have you hurt in this clash.” 0 likes