Start by marking “Tuna Breath: A 275-Pound Teenager's Coming of Age Story” as Want to Read:
Tuna Breath: A 275-Pound Teenager's Coming of Age Story

Read Excerpt

Tuna Breath: A 275-Pound Teenager's Coming of Age Story

Written from the unique experiences of Doug Pedersen, this self-improvement book--disguised as a memoir--is at once funny, poignant, and generous, while offering genuine advice. Providing intimate insights into being a "super fat kid," an insecure teenager, and an over-aggressive, angry, and ironically arrogant Marine who was full of self-pity, Doug shares the negative emo ...more
Published June 13th 2013 by Balboa Press

To ask other readers questions about Tuna Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tuna Breath

Elyse Walters
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Eating Disorders fester in an individual's biological and psychological makeup! We live in a society that prizes thinness sometimes above other qualities.
Yet--food gets in your face all the time! In our homes -schools -restaurants - Theme Parks -Movie theaters -TV - huge grocery stores --fast food chains-- all types of restaurants --etc.

When young children are often left home alone (parents at work) --coming home to an empty house after school with a house filled with 'Costco-Package-Foods' --
Jessica
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
**I RECEIVED THIS BOOK FOR FREE THROUGH THE GOODREADS FIRST READS GIVEAWAY**

The title and cover art led me to believe that this book was mainly about Doug's weight loss journey. Yes, I know the title says coming of Age Story...

The first third of the book, kept on the mark. I was a little annoyed that he lost the weight the wrong way (starvation) and things seemed to just happen for him. I am personally overweight, and reading this gave me less hope for my own loss, and left me aggravated.

The se
Crystal Anders
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in a Goodreads giveaway.
In this story we meet Doug. He is an insecure, angry, and overweight teen because of his binge eating. After graduating highschool he decides to make a change and lose weight so he can fulfill one of his dreams and join the marines.
There were many times I could relate to what Doug was feeling. Especially with his encounters with the scale, who he refers to as Hannibal. We've all been there. We have all heard the scale telling us ugly thin
Alyssa
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Although not wowed by this book I didn't hate it. honestly I didn't feel all that inspired but I appreciated Pedersen's honesty and how he put himself out there, even when he came off as an ass at times.
Roxanne James
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Roxanne by: First-reads
Shelves: first-reads
For me, a good book makes me laugh, cry and think about myself in a whole different light. I did all three with this book.Wow!! What an amazing story of self-actualization! First, I have to say a huge thank-you Doug Pedersen and the Goodreads First Reads Giveaways which allowed me to receive an autographed copy of this book.

** SPOILERY PARAGRAPH **

I wasn't an overweight teenager but I did have a lot of adversity happen to me in my teen years which caused me to turn to food as a comfort and I bec
Pepper
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
While brutally honest, bittersweet, poignant, and also hilarious at times, I feel truly moved by this book by Doug Pederson.

Tuna Breath is a glimpse into this man's soul that we all have things in common with. I think in this society, we all are a little too hard on ourselves, we judge others by our own insecurities, our fear of failure, and by our own self-loathing. Everyone I know is like this to some extent, myself included.

Doug's grandfather Andy lived as we all should, in the moment and pr
Jjudyfl
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I won this book from Goodreads.
Doug Pederson was a 275 pound teenager who realized that he could lose weight by walking a lot and eating less. Well, duh.
Apparently this had not occurred to him & he discovered this accidentally while working as a security guard and trying to please his boss.
This book isn't meant to be a diet guide (tuna, soda crackers and water) or a training guide (join the MARINES!)
It is a memoir of one man's story of seeking and finding his own inner strengths.
I'm not jump
Molly Anna
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
How do we live our lives? With what world perspective do we move forward?

Tuna Breath is a look into one individual’s important journey in finding self and purpose. The anecdotes are satisfyingly amusing, and the overall story inspiring. The first part of this short memoir pales in comparison to the last third of the book, as it takes this long to become acquainted with the narrator, but the reader is rewarded with a profoundly beautiful conclusion – heartfelt sentiments and pure wisdom. I enjo
Emily
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book through goodreads first look and was pretty sure I knew what to expect. When I started reading I was pleasantly surprised that the content was very unexpected. Tuna Breath is real, raw, emotional, and very hilarious. It gives an in depth look at parts of life that many people choose to ignore. While I was reading I felt like Doug's story was being told to me in person. He has a wonderful way of connecting with readers on new levels. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend ...more
Terri
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
GOODREADS GIVEAWAY:

I love the philosophy behind why this book was written. The author starts out so strong and has amazing inspirational quotes from his own life that are uplifting and all readers could relate to. He gets a little long winded and off track for awhile in the middle with the detailed description of his military experience. I much preferred the writing when he was trying to reach out to his readers. He has a stronger writing style when he is trying to motivate others!
Vicki
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a contest, and I really enjoyed it :)
Kristen Frankie
I'm so glad I won this book and had a chance to read it. I enjoyed the author's look back through his life and learned from the lessons he shared.
Becky Everhart
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book on several levels. Reading the title, I saw some self-deprecating snark and the promise of a journey of major self-improvement. I was not disappointed. Pedersen did an excellent job of painting a picture of himself pre- and post-weight loss and the serious issues he was facing. He also was careful to tell what did not work and how unlikely catalysts dodged the bullets and actually made him want to change. The evolution has obviously continued beyond the pages, as this ...more
Rebecca
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
"Tuna Breath: A 275-Pound Teenager's Coming of Age Story" is a memoir that I won on Goodreads.com. It's a story of not only weight loss, but of finding yourself and turning your life and thoughts around. I found it to be an interesting life story. At first, I thought I would be reading about Doug's struggle with weight loss, but that is only a small portion of the book, as he appears to never have rebounded. It's more about his mental growth and battles. He definitely became a very strong, deter ...more
Mariah Carey
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book, I was iffy about it at the beginning because of the language and attitude but stayed strong and kept reading. It was intriguing and the last chapter was an absolutely amazing compilation of life lessons from this man who kept coping with problems by becoming obsessed and aggressive with new things and activities. He was searching for his own satisfaction and it took him many years to realize how great life is and that it should be appreciated.
Trina
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
The story telling was great. Story was ell written and in several places intriguing. However, I got old of the pattern of "funny story, life lesson, jump to other story" very quickly. I wish I was just reading about the author's teen years, marine years, or anything. Instead I recieved a quick bite of a period, being told a lesson, and moving on.
Barbara
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book thru a goodreads giveaway. Overall I really enjoyed reading this book, really gave some insight to an overweight child. A must read for every parent to learn and teach compassion to children who struggle with this issue.
Jeannette
Aug 03, 2013
Eileen
Dec 30, 2015
Stacy
rated it did not like it
Apr 14, 2019
Sabrina
Apr 01, 2014
  • Stupid Ancient History
  • The Princess Bride: A Celebration
  • Mindfulness on the Go (Shambhala Pocket Classic): Simple Meditation Practices You Can Do Anywhere
  • My Miserable, Lonely, Lesbian Pregnancy
  • When a Pet Dies (First Experiences)
  • The Cats' House
  • Obit. Inspiring Stories of Ordinary People who Led Extraordinary Lives
  • Eating My Feelings: Tales of Overeating, Underperforming, and Coping with My Crazy Family
  • Elvis and Ginger: Elvis Presley's Fiancée and Last Love Finally Tells Her Story
  • What the Buddha Never Taught: A 'Behind the Robes" Account of Life in a Thai Forest Monastery
  • The Modern No-Nonsense Guide to Paleo: Develop Your Skills to Lose Weight, Gain Energy and Take Back Your Health
  • Marilyn Monroe: Metamorphosis
  • Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • Learning to Play With a Lion's Testicles: Unexpected Gifts From the Animals of Africa
  • Ghetto Klown
  • I Should Have Stayed Home: The Worst Trips of Great Writers
  • Moon Magic (Pagan Portals)
  • The $50 and Up Underground House Book
PERSONAL BIO
Doug Pedersen was born in Greeley, Colorado. As the youngest in a family of two boys, he was raised in Burbank, California by his youthful parents who traded in the farmland of Nebraska for the smog and sunshine of the big city. He currently resides in the Washington, D.C. area where he and his wife run a staffing company.

According to his writings, he’s a deeply sensitive guy that over
“Negative self talk costs more than even the richest person can afford. So be nice to yourself whenever possible … and know that it is always possible.” 1 likes