Start by marking “Last Chance Summer: A Short Story (Last Chance, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Last Chance Summer: A Short Story (Last Chance, #5.5)

Last Chance Summer: A Short Story

(Last Chance #5.5)

It wouldn't be summer without the Watermelon Festival, and single mom Amanda Wright is looking forward to a carefree day eating funnel cakes and sipping sweet tea. But with her inquisitive son and elderly grandmother in tow, she's not in the mood for carnival rides or the kissing booth, until she hears a charming, funny voice over the loudspeaker.

Grant Trumbull is the new
Published August 6th 2013 by Forever Yours

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance Summer

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)

So sweet it'll make your teeth rot!

This one was super cute! Short and sweet! You have got to start reading this when you are looking for a quick STORY... if you go into it expecting a novel, then you are not going to be a happy camper. The author did a great job at giving us a concise story with a fair amount of detail while drumming up a mini plot set in the present.

I would like to see a longer BOOK by this author. I would definitely read it!

✳✳ Copy provided by the author/publisher for an hon
Dianne
Delightfully sweet, with some unforgettable, loveable and quirky characters! Last Chance Summer by Hope Ramsay is a proof that when you least expect it, love is going to sneek up on you, even if it’s at the annual Watermelon Festival!

Impressive, how in just a few short pages, Hope Ramsay’s flare for clean, fun romance can squeeze a sigh and a smile out of me, without really trying! Even more impressive, this is “Mom Safe Reading,” and ideal for a quick read when time is almost non-existent!

I r
Joanne
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hope-ramsay
Hope Ramsay has managed to fit a full and entertaining story in a quick read. 'Last Chance Summer' is a fun, clean book that is suitable for everyone. I loved all the characters, not just the main ones. Personally I would have a liked an epilogue where we see the family together living happily; this would have raised my rating from 4* to 5*.

A note to those reading this story on a Kindle: when the story ends the display indicates only 70%. This wasn't a problem for me, but it was surprising as I
Stephanie
Last Chance Summer by Hope Ramsey is about Amanda, a widowed mother raising her young son and taking care of her ailing grandmother. She is intrigued by Grant Trumbulls's voice on the local radio station and listens to him every morning. A series of events at the Watermelon festival leads Amanda to the radio station booth at the fair and she realizes that he is the one she's been waiting for. A fun, sweet read that intrigued me and made me want to check out the series. My only complaint is that ...more
Julie
Last Chance Summer is a short story by Hope Ramsay. This book was published by Forever romance a division of Grand Central Publishing. I received this book from the publisher and Netgalley for an honest review.

Amanda has a lot on her plate. She is a war widow, a single mother to four year old Ethan and the caretaker of her grandmother who has Alzheimer's.
Amanda's grandfather worked for WLST radio and Granny thinks he's still alive and on the radio which has poor Ethan a bit confused.
Heading out
Pat
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a very sweet quick trip to Last Chance, South Carolina for a visit to the Watermelon Festival.

We join Amanda Wright, young mother of an almost five year old boy named Ethan, as she is driving her grandmother and young son to the festival. Amanda is a science teacher, widowed, living with her grandparents since her husband's death. She had married her high school sweetheart who had joined the military, and was killed in Afghanistan shortly after Ethan's birth. Her grandfather had also recen
Virginia Lloyd
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lost then Found

In this small town of Last Chance, anything could happen. Usually when you are not ready for it as in the case of a granny, a small boy and a widowed mom. Add a newcomer with a voice that beckons and you might find what was lost.
Ang
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, z-own-amazon
Sweet read

This is definitely worth the read. It’s such a short story you really can’t say much without giving anything away. It could be a stand alone but you really should just read the whole series.
Cynthia Miller
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A visit to Last Chance

If you haven't started reading this series, please do. You'll love meeting the different characters of Last Chance and seeing how they are doing. This is an adorable short story.
Marilyn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story by a truly great author!!
Les Romantiques
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Fabiola
Review Copy from Netgalley

I give 1 star to this story, not because it was bad, but because I’m not happy at all. I hate it when one lies to me and now, it’s clearly the case.

I will explain my point of view to prevent fans from setting on me. :-)

I have been interested by this story for three reasons; the first one is that I loved the summary. The second one is that it was categorized as a romance short story. And the last one is that
Sophia
This seemed a nice story to grab up as I near the end of my summer reads and I already really enjoy the series of books about the small southern town of Last Chance by Hope Ramsay. This is definitely a short story as the subtitle informs us and it gives a quick sweet, story about a whole new Last Chance Heroine.

A young, stressed widow, Amanda Wright, is taking her four year old son and eighty year old grandmother to the Watermelon Festival. Her grandmother still believes her dead husband is aliv
Kai
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, net-gallery
I like Last Chance Summer: A Short Story but it is quite a disappointment to me because it is too short and not quite finished. It is a story of love at first sight or should I say love at first voice between Amanda and Grant. Amanda is a widow with her son, Ethan. Her husband Tom has died in the Middle East on Tour of Duty. Amanda was not expecting to find love again. She is losing her grandmother to dementia/Alzheimer and soon she will lose her son Ethan when he grows up. Amanda is afraid of l ...more
Landslide
*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I’m not even sure how to start this review... Cause, you see, I was actually liking the story, finding it very sweet, until it got to the end. *starts rant* Seriously, what was that ending? Why? It was so unnecessary and unnerving! There was no necessity for it, it wasn't needed and, honestly, it left me with no desire whatsoever to read another thing the author writes ever again. *ends rant*

Ok, maybe the problem is me, I beli
Tory Michaels
I knew going in this would be a quick little read and it was (about 30 minutes). I got a really good feel for Amanda. The small-town atmosphere was great. We got a fabulous look at the real characters that live in Last Chance: everyone from Granny (Amanda’s grandmother) to the local matchmaker Miriam, and even Amanda.

Amanda’s not had great experience with life. Her parents died early (somewhere while in elementary school) and her husband, her high school sweetheart, died only weeks after Ethan (
Kathy
My only objection to this story is that it was to short and ended too quickly. Because of this, there was no opportunity to develop the story or the characters, and the ending just sort of jumped out at you. I don’t think the author gave it much of a build up during the story. The story concerns Amanda, stressed out from raising her four-year old alone, still grieving for her dead soldier husband who died suddenly in Afghanistan, and from caring for her 80 something grandmother. The town of Last ...more
Mary
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, bluefire
Last Chance Summer caught my eye because of the watermelon on the cover. Strange, I know. But, you see, I grew up in Pageland, SC - the town we call "The Watermelon Capital of the World". And every July they hold a Watermelon Festival that includes a pageant, seed spitting contest and a carnival. The synopsis for Last Chance Summer talks about Last Chance, SC and its annual Watermelon Festival. I was intrigued.

First things first, I did determine that the author isn't talking about our festival
DubaiReader
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A bit predictable.

After reading this short story I decided I needed to do a bit of research to discover the context in which it was written. To me, it didn't make a lot of sense as a isolated story.
It seems that Last Chance is a remote American town in South Carolina, and Hope Ramsay has already written five novels centred around this town. I'm sure that, if I'd read a couple of these books, I would now be rating Last Chance Summer as more than 3 stars, but as an isolated read, it was rather pre
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

This morning I wanted something really quick to read and I figure that Last Chance Summer by Hope Ramsay would be a good pick. Plus, who doesn't like taking a little trip to Last Chance. While we are in Last Chance, we might as well stop at the Watermelon Festival, since that's the big to do during the summer.

Since this is a really short story, I'm not going to sum the story up. However, like most of the Last Chance stories we have Miz Miriam Randall working on her matc
Snarky Mom
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YOU ALWAYS HAVE ONE MORE… LAST CHANCE

“LAST CHANCE SUMMER” by Hope Ramsay brings to life a small town and their Watermelon Festival. This story features Amanda, a card carrying member of the Sandwich Generation – a single, war-widowed mom taking care of her 4 year old son and also her 80 year old early-stages dementia grandmother. It’s the day of the Watermelon Festival and Amanda is feeling the stress of all she has lost – in all contexts of the word. This very short story (55 pages) packs a pun
Julian Froment
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
This book is very much a feel good book, set in a small town environment, and takes place during the course of a few hours. It is a short story and a very quick and easy to read. I really enjoyed this story and the small town life it portrayed through the interaction of the characters at the annual watermelon festival. It focuses mainly on a single family of grandmother, mother and son.

Being a short story there was not too much in the way of character development, but enough information is provi
Katrina
I was given the opportunity to review this book for the author

Grant Trumbull is the new DJ at the local radio station, and his deep, booming cadence h
Mareena
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes short stories
Recommended to Mareena by: Netgalley
It just wouldn't be summer without a visit to the annual Watermelon Festival which takes place every August. Single mom Amanda Wright is looking forward to spending a carefree day eating funnel cakes and sipping sweet tea. But with her inquisitive son, Ethan, and elderly grandmother in tow, Amanda's not really in the mood for carnival rides or the kissing booth; that is until she hears a charming, funny voice over the loudspeaker.

Grant Trumbull is the new DJ at the local radio station, and with
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed by Kim
for Read Your Writes Book Reviews

This is the story of Amanda Wright, a young, widowed, middle school Science teacher, her four and half-year-old son, Ethan, and Grant Trumbull, the new owner and DJ of Last Chance's local radio station. All of the characters are new to the Last Chance series. But Hope was able to give you enough background on them to understand them and feel for them.

The story takes place at the Watermelon Festival, which apparently is a huge deal in Last Chance.
Paula Ratcliffe
This was a cute novella sent to me via NetGalley in it we meet Amanda Wright who's at the fair with her son and her grandmother, both of whom are looking for Amanda's Grandfather who has died a while ago. Amanda seems afraid to make big changes in her life like getting a pet, moving on after her husband died, and letting her son ride the ferris wheel.

When her Grandmother goes missing Amanda is looking all over then her son goes missing and Amanda feels herself falling apart realizing she will h
Donna
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Thank you, NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing), for providing me with a copy for review.***

Last Chance Summer: A Short Story by Hope Ramsay was a cute story about Amanda Wright who is a war widow living in the small town of Last Chance, South Carolina. Amanda is a teacher and mother to a 4-1/2 year old son, Ethan. She also lives with her Grandmother who is beginning to suffer the early signs of dementia. Together they attend the town’s Watermelon Festival, and there after a seri
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰

ARC Received from Forever (Grand Central Publishing) via NetGalley for honest review

So sweet it will give you a toothache.

Every year, Amanda Wright goes to the Watermelon Festival in her small southern town, and this year is no exception.

Out for a day of cakes and sweet tea, this year is a little different.

With her elderly grandmother and her 5 year old son in town, she is not up for the ferris wheels and kissing booths and puppy dogs, but this is what her day is becoming about.

The new
Debi
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgallery
I received this short story from Netgalley and the publisher for honest review.

I am a sucker for books set in the south. Last Chance Summer takes place at the Watermelon festival in Last Chance, SC. I have not read Hope Ramsay's work but this was short, sweet, and well done.

Amanda is taking Granny and her son to the annual Watermelon festival for fair food and fun. Granny is quirky and fun, but suffering from dementia. Amanda is a war widow with a 4 yr old. Juggling Ethan and Granny, she's draw
Katie Fink
***Thanks to NetGalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for providing me with a copy for review***

It's Watermelon Festival time in Last Chance, South Carolina, and war widow Amanda Wright has her hands full. She is at the festival with her grandmother Luanne who is losing her mental faculties and her 4 1/2 year old son Ethan, who wants to ride the Ferris wheel, but Amanda is afraid of heights. Grant Turnbull was tired of big city life, and left his Top 40 radio job at a big radio station t
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
A very short novella that ended just as it was getting good. But it had a nice after effect to it. It made me think about how I would want it to end and it also made me interested in reading more books in this sweet, small town series.

Amanda is a widow and is busy taking care of her 4 year old son as well as her Granny who is suffering from dementia. Together they head off to the Watermelon festival, each one of them with a different goal in mind. Granny is looking for her husband who has past
  • An Actor's Life - A Short Story
  • The Search for the Stone of Excalibur (The Chronicles of the Stone #2)
  • A Murder Country
  • Human No Longer
  • Gnome Wars - a short tale
  • Jack: The Tale of Frost (Claus, #2)
  • The Cleansweep Conspiracy: A Matt Tremain Technothriller
  • A Comedy of Erinn (Venice Beach Romance, #2)
  • The Black Song Inside
  • TaleSpins
  • Yesterday (Yesterday #1)
  • Life in the Palace (The Palace Saga, #1)
  • Why She Left Us
  • Across the Long Sea
  • External Forces (The Laws of Motion #1)
  • Knight of Flame
  • The Witch's Salvation
  • Foundling Witch (Diary of Anna the Girl Witch, #1)
Hope Ramsay was born in New York and grew up on the North Shore of Long Island, but every summer Momma would pack her off under the care of Aunt Annie to go visiting with relatives in the midlands of South Carolina. Her extended family includes its share of colorful aunts and uncles, as well as cousins by the dozens, who provide the fodder for the characters you’ll find in Last Chance, South Carol ...more

Last Chance (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Welcome to Last Chance (Last Chance, #1)
  • Home At Last Chance (Last Chance, #2)
  • Last Chance Beauty Queen (Last Chance, #3)
  • Last Chance Christmas (Last Chance, #4)
  • Last Chance Book Club (Last Chance, #5)
  • Last Chance Knit & Stitch (Last Chance, #6)
  • Inn at Last Chance (Last Chance, #7)
  • Last Chance Family (Last Chance, #8)
  • Last Chance Hero (Last Chance, #9)
  • A Midnight Clear (Last Chance #9.5)