Start by marking “The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less” as Want to Read:
The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less

The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less

How anyone can be more effective with less effort by learning how to identify and leverage the 80/20 principle--the well-known, unpublicized secret that 80 percent of all our results in business and in life stem from a mere 20 percent of our efforts.

The 80/20 principle is one of the great secrets of highly effective people and organizations.

Did you know, for example, that
Published October 19th 1999 by Crown Business (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The 80/20 Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 80/20 Principle

Start your review of The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
Quinn
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I give it five out of five but here's the deal. I think the book itself follows the 80/20 rule. 20% of the book gives you 80% of the value. Do this: Read a short definition of the 80/20 rule on the web. Skip to chapter 9 and begin reading the book. Stop when you finish chapter 11. Read 13 and then skim the rest of the book.

So if you do that the book is 5 out of 5 stars and if you read the whole thing I'd give it like 2.5 stars.
Scott Dinsmore
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Why You Should Read It: The principles in this book can literally add hours to your days and compound your happiness. It’s worth a look. What’s more important than having time?

Average Read Time: 4.5 Minutes

We’ve all surely heard of the 80/20 Principle, or Pareto’s Law as it’s more formally known. It goes something like this:

80% of the results come from 20% of the effort.
It’s often thrown around in business as nothing more than a buzzword. Few actually do a full 80/20 analysis of their business a
Nyssa Silvester
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
You'd think that someone who champions efficiency would write a book that wasn't so full of repetition and assumptions.

Just read the summary. Do that, and you get 95% of the book's benefit in only 0.01% of the time! I think Koch would be proud.
Chad Warner
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: 50 Self-Help Classics
This book is a truly enlightening and motivating look at productivity, time management, and happiness. It shows how to apply the 80/20 Principle to your personal and professional life in order to work less, earn more, enjoy more, and achieve more. The main idea: in business and personal life, “pursue those few things where you are amazingly better than others and that you enjoy most,” and eliminate or outsource everything else. This has immediately become one of my favorite self-improvement book ...more
Ujjawal Sureka
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Business, Efficiency
Publication Date: 1997

This book is a mentally stimulating one. The 80/20 rule suggest to simplify things in business and in life. He says that 80% of our achievements (outputs) comes from 20-25% efforts(inputs).

The author also offers the opposing points of view for the 80/20 rule, which involves savouring all of the moment and life. This is a separate chapter and has a lot of valid points and contrast of opinions, which can give us a bigger picture of the 80/20 princi
Ben
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I get it. 80% results from 20% effort. I got it before reading this book. Nothing new was shared, there's not really much more to it than that.
I read 100 pages of un-credited examples, made up company names and far reaching generalizations. The point was made through the title alone. The table of contents added some details and ideas on where this phenomena can be found, but really, there was nothing profound here outside of 80/20 itself.
I skimmed the last half of the book hoping something woul
Vijai
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thoughtprovoking
For those proclaiming this book to be life-saver, you will be in for a shock to know that what this book expounds is but only one among gazillion other data analysis methods.

Let me explain, there is data and there is information. What you do to the data and in appropriate context makes it information. What the author has expounded in this book is that ‘a little of something causes so much of everything” or rather has stamped an approval (it was not his original idea, remember, only the name “80
Nicholas
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Iman Shabani
While not brilliant, it's a pretty good read, however I read a summary, as the book itself suggests when picking up a book like this.

I liked the fact that It did have some interesting points that could actually be used in real life. Give it a shot.
Mike
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
There's a good side to this book and there's a bad side to this book. Good side first. Ever since reading the book I've put 80/20 thinking to use, that is to say that cause and effect are rarely linked in an equal way. 80% of the world's energy is consumed by 15% of the world's people, 80% of hospital costs come from 20% of the patients, 80% of your sales come from 20% of your products etc. It's not so much the "80" and "20" that are the point with this book, it's the theme that the inputs are n ...more
Xristos
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wealth
Amazing principle. Very valuable book, but you can easily skip 30-50% of it.
Pooja Banga
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it

Did you know, for example, that 20 percent of customers account for 80 percent of revenues? That 20 percent of our time accounts for 80 percent of the work w
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The book ultimately proves its own theory. 20% of the book comprises about 80% of the content. The rest is repetition.

Some interesting arguments are made. This book is definitely more business minded, though I would say it’s still worth a read for anyone looking to make a time revolution at home. I’m a bit skeptical if this theory is truly relevant to ALL jobs. It seems to me that the lower you are on the corporate ladder, the less likely the 80/20 principle can be utilized practically in your “
Eugene
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another great book from Richard Koch on 80/20 principle discovered by Paretto and how it actually applies in the business, personal life and investments. While almost everybody knows about the principle it is not that easy to be apply the non-linear thinking and focus on the most important 1-20% and omit the remains. The book teaches what can be done specifically to apply the principle. Some parts intersects with "Simplify!" book.
Dinah
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: productivity
Unfortunately an illustration of its own principle: 20% valuable content with a lot of padding and assumptions.

Kudos to Koch for brave honesty in the end section discussing critiques of the original edition – even printing some negative reviews in full – and responding to them.
Chitra kotian
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic book with excellent message that needs to be read following the 80/20 principle too.
Herve Tunga
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas and some claims out of proportion in my humble opinion. I let you find out what is what for yourself.
James
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good principle. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people or 80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers. The challenge is how to identify what the 20% is for any situation.
Murugan Manoj
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brilliant book. Can help the reader do wonders by just realizing that most input and outputs have a natural imbalance in their relationship.

I personally liked the part two of the book's contents. Which covers the application of the principle in Business.

A must read for entrepreneurs indeed.
Walter
Aug 21, 2011 marked it as to-read
This book takes the "work smarter not harder principle" and runs with it, expands it. The central premise is that there is likely a huge imbalance in the effectiveness of your actions (for example, 20% of what you do may be producing 80% of your results) and you should learn what that 20% is - what it tells you about what you are best suited to do - and double and triple down.

There are a lot of chapters that discuss situations in businesses very different from what I do that weren't as engaging
Shavon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I agree with 80/20 as a short-term philosophy to make money or get ahead in business or at work. I also always have wholeheartedly believed in permanently cutting personal relationships that are negative or draining. But as I was getting towards the end of the book completely won over by its business teachings I wavered a bit as I thought about a business that has fully adopted 80/20, the movie industry. Now the only movies that get made are super hero, sci-fi, and animation. I have been to the ...more
Goulo
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
It's OK, but rather repetitive and long-winded at times. The basic point is good and useful: different activities give different value, so it can be useful to focus on the stuff that is most useful and stop doing the other crap. It applies to economics, software development, and all kinds of other areas of life.

As the author mentions, the 80/20 principle is well-known in certain disciplines, including software development (which I have experience in), so the basic concepts were not so radical or
sprinkle.your.sparkle
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book presents the theory of imbalance. Once you get acquainted with the general idea, it should be easy for you to spot the correlation between cause and effect in anything you do.

Whether you will find the book insightful and its ideas relevant will greatly depend on the way you read. True, the book gets quite repetitive at times so I reckon that you use the very same approach to reading it that the book itself recommends. Get the principle and skip to the chapters that are relevant to you
Bob Wallner
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Over the last couple months I have been on a productivity kick as I plan for the start my Master's in January. With eminent time constraints, I want to be able to maximize the time I have to meet all my goals. I've read and re-read some very good books, unfortunately for me, The 80-20 Principle was not up to par with many of the others that I have read.

For starters it was excessively wordy. The author made some good points but then he surrounded it with excess words that, at times, bordered on
Stephen Lubin
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10/10

I've read a lot of good non-fiction and this ranks toward the top. It's referenced constantly in other books of this genre so I decided to read it. We've all kind of heard of the 80/20 principle but if you're like me you didn't really get it. Well, after reading this I definitely get it.

It's about finding correlations between inputs and outputs. What gives you the most for the least? Where is the juice most worth the squeeze? It's probably one of the most effective lenses I've ever been ta
Laurie
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
An excellent principle with some great stuff in here, however the principle applies to the book as well, 20% of it was gold, the other 80% could be summarized. Thankfully, it wasn’t that long of a book, so it’s not a commitment to go ahead and read the whole thing. I also feel that while the principle is valuable to everyone, some of the way it was presented felt like portions of this were really geared to specific types of people. I’m sure most people can pull what they need for their lives, bu ...more
Chi
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: immaboss
The book is convincing and super practical! It doesn't have the commanding voice telling the readers "you have to do this or that in order to be successful/happy" as commonly seen in most of the other self-help books; instead, "The 80/20 Principle" gives suggestions and very meticulous steps for us to self-actualize most effectively. There are also many wonderful questions and thought-provoking exercises to guide the readers.
From now on, this is one of my reading holy grails to re-read and re-l
Evaldas Raišutis
I like the theory and can see it in my own life, but honestly the books just seems far too stretched. There are plenty of examples of the theory being applied to already existing statistics and observations. However, I find it fails to present a useful way or method of applying the 80/20 principle. Enough material can he found about the 80/20 principle online as is, and ironically I am sure 80% of it can be internalized in 20% of time it would take to read this book.
Deven
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is the 20 % of your time when you achieve 80% of your result ? Do more of it !!
What is 80%of your time when you achieve little ?? Do less of it !!
Its an amazing book by Richard koch ! Great ideas to improve our life . Must read book !!
Kirsty
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good. Mates sense. You don't need to read the whole book. Just 20% of it.

• First Things First
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • The Power of Positive Thinking
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk