Start by marking “The Content Machine: Towards a Theory of Publishing from the Printing Press to the Digital Network” as Want to Read:

Publishing is in crisis. Publishing has always been in crisis, but today's version, fuelled by the digital boom, has some frightening symptoms. Trade publishers see their mid-lists hollowed, academic customers face budgetary pressures from higher education spending cuts, and educational publishers encounter increased competition across their markets. But over the centuries ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Anthem Press

To ask other readers questions about The Content Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Content Machine

John
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this quickly on my phone to get a sense of it, but I will definitely go back and read it properly again. Bhaskar's book is a very good, very up-to-date perspective on the predicament of publishing in the digital age. His intent is to develop a theoretical model of what publishing is (or does)--beyond the trivial "making things public"--and I think he largely succeeds at that, elaborating a functional model that spans from Aldus Manutius to Allen Lane to the present day.

It could be longer
Tomas Šinkūnas
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a bit longer than expected. To be honest, i've got mixed feelings about this book. At times it has genuine insight and in other instances it falls short. As the author admits it himself, this is to be expected of a book that attempts to deliver a theory of publishing.

There are two things that struck me the most and why I am going to read the book again. First, the consistent delivery of insight. Bhaskar does a good job in summing up, presenting and pointing out the possible outcomes of
Elaine
What does it mean to "publish" a text? Is it merely to make it public (as says the oft-spoken definition)? As Bhaskar points out, leaving a manuscript on a park bench makes it public, but it doesn't "publish" it--nobody will read it. On the other hand, uploading a novel to Amazon without proper metadata "publishes" it, but doesn't make it public--it'll sink so low in the sea of data that no one will even know it's there.

In our networked age, Bhaskar argues, it's more important than ever for pub
Gill James
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This could be described as a close reading of the publishing industry. Michael Bhaskar steers us away from the idea that publishing merely means making public. After all, he asks, is a book with a 10,000 print run that doesn’t sell a single copy any more “published” than a typescript left on a park bench?
He takes a long look at the industry and also compares it with farming and the music trade. He describes how it started, what it became and how it is evolving now.
He discusses filtering, frami
Heberquijano
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El contenido como el motor de la edición, la forma es transitoria. Un libro de cabecera para cualquier editor
John
A somewhat theoretical take on the changing landscape of “publishing” in print and digital form with a focus on the traditional book industry.
Holly
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure I totally understood the majority of the concepts in this (but that's what I'm paying my hard earned cash to the University this is on the reading list for, right?) but it is definitely an interesting/intriguing book and hopefully I can be a bit more articulate than this in a few months.
Ellie
Nov 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uni-lit
First of all, I had to read it for uni, so that's never fun. Secondly, the author writes like a pretentious little shit, questioning the meaning of like in every other paragraph.
Brendan Carney
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most interesting perspectives on publishing I've read yet. Game-changing.
Thomas Du Plessis
Javier Gil Jaime
May 26, 2017
María
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verboso de más –pensé que era alemán–, pero interesante.
Ann Wright
Oct 11, 2016
Katie
Oct 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Bhaskar is a writer, researcher and digital publisher. He is Co-Founder of Canelo, a new publishing company, and Writer in Residence at DeepMind.

He has written and talked extensively about publishing, the future of media, the creative industries and the economics of technology.

He has worked as a digital publisher, an economics researcher, a book reviewer and founded several we
“A strong and variegated publishing environment helps create deliberative, reflective societies. Publishing” 0 likes
“Publishing carries forward our sciences and powers our culture. Publishing isn’t a passive medium; it is a part of our lives and societies, shaping them, guiding them, sometimes even controlling them. Rarely” 0 likes