Start by marking “Marvin's Curse” as Want to Read:
Marvin's Curse

Marvin's Curse

How would you handle the dead? After losing his dad, 17 year old Marvin finds he can see and talk to the dead, an inherited 'gift'. Bonus, you might think, but Marvin hates it. It makes him different and he just wants to be 'normal'. He meets Stella in the graveyard that backs onto the house he's just moved into. 'My name is Stella, Stella McCartney. It says so inside my t ...more
Published June 10th 2013 by PurpleRay Publishing

Lakshmi C
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a great addition to the YA Paranormal genre. Marvin was easy to relate to, he had more problems than the average teenager and was trying to cope on his own.

What I liked :

1 Marvin
He was a teen who had a lot of trouble on his hands. He inherited the ability to see the dead but viewed it as a curse. His personal life was messy and he had no support system. He had the tendency to say the wrong thing at times which made him endearing.

2 Stella
She was suffering from amnesia, which makes
Tammie
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Even though Marvin's Curse isn't a very long book, just over 200 pages, I was impressed with how the author was able to make me feel a connection to Marvin and the rest of the characters. I knew who they were with very little description. The story was original and captivating and I was sucked into it pretty much from the beginning. I'm not sure if this is a stand alone or if there will be a sequel. It would work either way,
Clair
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Disclaimer: A digital copy of the book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

A little over a year ago, I read Kendare Blake's excellent Anna Dressed in Blood. Only a few months ago, I read its less-than-stellar sequel, Girl of Nightmares. I bring up these two books because that's what Marvin's Curse reminds me of the most – boy meets girl, but the girl is a ghost who must deal with the trappings of Hell.

However, while Cas in Anna Dressed in Blood was well-rounded, and Anna
Victoria Limbert
Marvin hates that his gift in life is to commune with and help the dead; a gift that passes from father to son for generations. His dad is forced to stay in spirit form to teach his son how to use his gift....though Marvin belies its a curse....before he can move on to the afterlife. Marvin misses his dad terribly and doesnt get along with his stepdad. Like any normal teenager he rebels, runs off and refuses to use his gift to help people. Marvin has had a rough life.

Everything changes whem he m
Sandy Grassini
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-paranormal
I really did enjoy this book since I do love the paranormal genre. This book was a little different for me because I've never read about ghosts or spirits. It was different for me therefore enjoyable since it took me outside the norm. If you want to get away from real life for awhile, this is a book to read.

How does a 17 year old boy cope with the fact that he can see spirits? He feels its a curse that was handed down to him when his father died. His father tries to assure him its a gift, but M
Emiliee Wadsworth
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I decided to not read this book until after I finished my exams, because after having a free preview of the first 5 chapters, I knew that I wouldn't be able to stop reading it. I felt in the mood to read a good book however, as a break from revision, so I went for it. Having read other books by the author I knew I was in for a treat.

I was unable to put it down. It was so gripping I read all of it in one sitting. The book is such an original story. Though there are thousands of books in the same
Satarupa
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank Debra J. Edwards, author of Marvin's Curse for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this book.

This is an awesome book with a totally unheard of story line and plot where a physic teenager falls in love with an unique ghost.

I loved the concept of the dark world and all the fighting scenes that spiced up the story. Stella is cute and she didn't know that she's d
Lauren
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about Marvin, a young man who can see ghosts, and is quite troubled in life. This isn't your classic ghost story, this is a story about finding redemption and closing open chapters of your life. I found the story line quite unique and interesting and absolutely loved Marvin. Hopefully there is going to be a second book where we find out if Marvin can repair his home life and what happens with Stella aka Rose. If you believe in ghosts or love a happy ending after a heck of a journ ...more
Oliwia Bryk
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
3 stars

Marvin was just a normal teen until recently. His father died. His mom got a new boyfriend. They moved house. Oh and he can see and talk to spirits.

Marvin has the 'gift' of communicating with spirits. His father had it too. Having the 'gift' is bad enough but then Marvin's mom decides to move to an old house, by a graveyard.

His father says the gift is special but Marvin wants to get rid of it. After a fight with his mom boyfriend Marvin goes to the graveyard and sees a girl,Stella.

Ste
Bruce Ashkenas
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Marvin is miserable. The seventeen-year-old lost his father in an auto accident and to make things even worse, his mother remarried within several months the paramedic who failed to save him. Then Marvin found out he received a 'gift' from his dad, the ability to talk and see spirits, dead people. This 'ghost whispering' was passed down in the teenager's father's family but Marvin thought it was a curse. To further make things worse the new step-dad moved the family to a house which backed up on ...more
Johnnie-Marie Howard
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2r
well it was defiantly different in some many ways.

I've seen the show Ghost whispers lol and this was my first time reading a book about ghost whispers well besides the shadow falls series. It was nice to just read about one thing. I really liked how Marvin finally decided to change, he didn't think of his gift as a curse anymore which was kinda sweet. Sucks that he did fall for a ghost girl, but he did get to hang out with her and his father again which was really awesome.

It was a very quick rea
Lorraine Carey
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marvin’s Curse will surely take the Young Adult world by storm! It truly is a whirlwind of intriguing adventure at every turn. You can’t but help fall in love with Marvin, the young teen psychic who has all the makings of an abnormal teen, and although he suffers from a family tragedy he is deeply disturbed by his gift. He is deeply drawn into a very strange world of the Paranormal by a mysterious girl who leads him to find an amazing discovery of a dark underworld.With great vivid descriptions ...more
Julie Smith
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Marvin is a teenage boy with all the teenage problems plus one - his 'curse'. The main characters are fairly well rounded. This book was not for me, but I think young adults will love it
Lorraine Carey
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marvin's Curse will surely take the Young Adult world by storm! It truly is a whirlwind of intriguing adventure at every turn. You can't but help fall in love with Marvin, the young teen psychic who has all the makings of an abnormal teen, and although he suffers from a family tragedy he is deeply disturbed by his gift. He is deeply drawn into a very strange world of the Paranormal by a mysterious girl who leads him to find an amazing discovery of a dark underworld.With great vivid descriptions ...more
Caldwell Publishing
This was a very interesting read. I loved the plot, including the wee twist at the end. I'm a sucker for mundane-seeming objects or situations that turn out to have paranormal purposes—like a pawn shop you visit to forget your life. I was really engaged with the mystery of who Stella was, and it certainly kept me reading.

There were some aspects of the novel, however, that I didn't overly enjoy. I found the author's writing to be a bit clunky at times, though not necessarily bad. There were situa
Billie Jo
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Marvin's Curse is a terrific read from start to finish. I liked that the author mixed a great ghost story with the hardships of being a teenager. With this story you get tons of suspense, mystery and a touch of romance that keeps you interested throughout the course of the story. This will be a great addition to anyone's reading list teen or adult. The characters are all very well developed and the story line is true to life and believable.Marvin's character just pulled at my heart-strings. He's ...more
Ramona Plant
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this paranormal "ghost" story. It is quite different from ones I have read so far. Debra has a pleasant writing style with a good pace. The plot is well developed and keeps you reading on.

Marvin is a very likable character. He is struggling with his current life and how to deal with this "gift" he received. Marvin continuously grows in this story and develops into someone who does the right thing, just because it is the right thing. Stella is a nice addition to the story and is a
Jada Ryker
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative Young Adult Paranormal/Horror Book

Marvin's life couldn't get much worse. He lost his father. He gained a stepfather. His stepfather has forced the family to move. The house is hideous, located next to a graveyard, and it smells. Of old, dead people.

Marvin's father still visits him as a ghost. He encourages his son to use his inherited ability to see ghosts. Marvin just wants to be a normal boy.

Debra Edwards' Marvin's Curse is a great paranormal/horror book for young adults. The chara
Carol
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
GIFT? CURSE?

The family of a rebellious teenaged boy moves to a less expensive home. The only problem is that he can see, hear, and converse with the dead -- and the new house is right next door to a cemetery. And so his troubles begin. Toss into the mix the pesky ghost of his father, a girl who confuses her name with a brand name, and a pawnbroker who collects memories and souls, and you have a YA paranormal book filled with twists and turns.

In Marvin’s Curse, Deborah J. Edwards has created a fu
Sophie
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tbc-review-copy
Great premise but missing the x factor.

I was really looking forward to reading this book, as the outline sounded great. Although the plot was interesting, unfortunately in the end I was left with a feeling of disappointment.

While enjoyable enough, the writing was slightly over descriptive in places for my taste and just generally felt a bit clunky. The pacing again was mostly ok but occasionally seemed to run away a little or slow down too much. The language also seemed a little simplistic for a
Natasha du Plessis
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm an adult that loves reading YA books. Marvin's Curse did not disappoint as I also love reading what happens to people and where do they go to after dying. Marvin received his ability to see and talk to spirits when his dad passed away, he does not see it as a gift but rather a curse. I loved the way in which Debra describes everything she brings each scene vividly to life. I sped through this book and could not wait to see what happens next. I loved the characters and hope that there is more ...more
Louise Johnson
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Marvin's Dad died, Marvin's inherited his gift of seeing and sensing spirits. Although Marvin being young thinks of it as more of a curse, but after meeting a girl who seems to have lost her memories Marvin's decides he wants to help her. He soon realise's that it is indeed a gift not a curse. I was sent this book to read in return for my honest review. Even though it's probably more for young adults, I found I still very much enjoyed it. It is very well written. It has an great storyline, ...more
Barbara Rauch
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A teenage girl who has no memories and does not know she’s a ghost. Row after row of little wooden drawers filled with jars of memories, dreams, nightmares or a lost soul’s very essence kept by the pawnbroker in a gateway to Hell. A teenage ghost whisperer who leads an army of spirits to the rescue. These are the features of this really good scary story !

The author provided me a copy of this book in return for an honest review. I can truly say that I enjoyed this book and will be looking for th
Yohanna
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

When I first started reading the book, my thought was Ghost Whisperer, only a younger version. My next thought was Sixth Sense.

It is a unique story line and it kicked in my imagination. The scenes were detailed and descriptive enough that the author took me there. This is a book I would recommend. I love and strive to find books that ignite my imagination and this definitely did that.

Read this book, you won't be disappointed. I wasn
D. Messing
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
***** I received this ARC for free from TBC on FB in return for an honest review *****

This book was fun on so many levels! Take typical teenage angst, add in a ghost dad and suddenly inherited paranormal gifts and it makes for one entertaining read! Made me laugh and roll my eyes regularly with a beautifully heartwarming ending. Loved it and can't wait to check out other works by this author!
Malinda
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this story we follow Marvin a young man who has a special gift. He can see and talk to spirits. I could relate to Marvin with some of the emotions he deals with after losing his father. With each turn of the page we watch Marvin grow from a boy into a young man. The characters and story are all very well developed and believable. The only downfall for me was it was over too quickly. I look forward to reading more from Edwards.
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Marvin's Curse By Debra J Edwards is a ghost story.
How would you handle the dead?
This was a really enjoyable read with brilliant characters. I loved ed how he could go where the ghosts went too. I loved how he helped Stella the spirit in the end. I would highly recommend this book. 5* for sure. Thanks to tbc on fb for the arc. #tbconfb.
Gillian
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really like the plot. It's so unique. I never expected that the story will go like that. I don't want to be a spoiler, so I will not elaborate the parts that I love about the novel. I will really recommend this to my friends.
Bridget McKeown
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I've read any YA and have to say I enjoyed this one. The main character, Marvin comes across exactly as he should - a grieving and mixed up young mad who can see and talk to dead people. It's well paced and an easy read.
Michelle Tolmay
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read, loved the story of Marvin and Stella, such fantastic characters. The story was captivating and once I started I found it very hard to put it down.
Debra J Edwards is a full time writer living in Norfolk, UK. She lives in a wooden shack in a disused chalk quarry with her husband.

Debra currently has four books published. A trilogy about stroppy teenage tooth fairies; Aggie Lichen; Pilp Collector,the sequel, Aggie Lichen; Pilp Collector - Arty's Revenge with Hero Required, the third book in the series.

Marvin’s Curse is her fourth novel althoug