Start by marking “Tales From My Closet” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Five girls. A paper dress. Tons of shoes. One unforgettable raincoat. White Jeans. Secrets. Drama. Friends?

Published January 28th 2014 by Scholastic Press

jv poore
In Tales from My Closet, Ms. Moses so aptly captures the venom that spews from the mouths of teens, that I find myself fantasizing about a trip back in time to punch Teen-Aged Me in the face and to hug my mom very tightly. The unlikely union of five teen-age fashionistas, each experiencing unrelated, yet equally concerning issues at home, immediately pulled me into the fascinating, eerily familiar tales.

Uniquely unapologetic, the unabashed, free-flung, nastiness of Spoiled-Rich-Fashionista feel
swiftpuppy13
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
By: Jenneifer Ann Moses
Summary:
Told from the perspective of 5 different high school girls (Justine, Becka, Ann, Robin and Polly) who love fashion and just can't get enough.
Justine: The new kid in town. She comes to school in an original paper dress on the first day and the "popular" girls don't approve.
Becka: LOVES Paris, France. After meeting Arnaud (her secret boyfriend), she can't wait to go back. Her mother, Meryl, is a psychologist and,to Becka's dismay, is the basis o
John Clark
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Justine's fashion sense keeps her on keel. She needs it because her family has just moved again, this time to New Jersey. It's dogged hot, all the kids her age, she's fifteen, are at the beach it seems and her best friend is back in San Francisco. Her forced meeting with Becka, the elegant, but snooty girl living across the street, is an epic disaster, leaving Justine tongue tied, but determined to make a fashion statement with her antique paper dress on the first day of school.
As other kids en
Jaine Kang
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!!
Jaylin Phillips
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. When I saw the book I knew I had to read it. I loved the characters and the narrations and the points of view. I wis it was longer and/or had a sequel to it. Very good book.
kristina of sweden
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh dear. I did so want to give the book 5 stars. It's wonderfully written, gets inside the teenage mind perfectly, actually acknowledges the existence of queer people, and deals with very adult issues. Why I downgraded it from a 4 to a 5? Well, first of all, the ending flopped. It was anticlimactic. The implied romance between "Weird John" and Justine comes across as forced. Also it could've been way gayer.
My favorite character was probably Robin, because I connect to her well. I connected to al
Zee
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
*2.5
I've read it so many times now, I kinda have it memorized. It's a little petty and I feel like the fact that the girls are OBSESSED with clothes is kinda weird. I wish there was a little bit of an epilogue at the end but oh well...
Joan Keane
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hated this 299 page book I really HATED this book! I would NEVER recommend anyone to read it!
Nicole
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, review, young-adult
Justine:
Justine isn't exactly happy when her parents inform her that they'll be trading in their San Francisco digs to move clear across the United States to Westfield, New Jersey. Westfield wouldn't be so bad if it didn't seem to be smack in the middle of nowhere. There are no thrift stores. there are no scenic views. There's only Becka, the next door neighbor who seems to hate her upon sight, and a fabulous paper dress, the she hopes will attract more than just stares.

Becka:
After traveling abr
Fiction_TheNewReality
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Synopsis: Justine the vintage lover, Ann the eccentric dresser, Becka the queen of glam, Polly the lover of pajamas, and Robin the dreamer of fabrics. These five fashion loving girls will come together in a story of family, friendship and fashion to tell their stories and share their love of clothing. Told from unique perspectives, Jennifer Anne Moses's Tales From My Closet gives readers a look inside a teenage girl's closet, and her heart.

Review: A huge thank you to Scholastic via Netgalley, AN
ALEXA
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
FIRST THOUGHTS:

2.5 stars. The girls were all pretty interesting.

REVIEW:

In Tales from My Closet, readers are dropped straight into the lives of five very different girls -- Becca, Justine, Robin, Polly and Ann. The novel alternates between their stories successfully, tying them all together with how clothing plays a part in each girl's life. (It also helps that they live in the same area, and go to the same school, of course.) While I do think that each girl's story could have been granted a lit
Brina Williams
Ms. Yingling
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Michelle Kidwell
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jenifer Anne Moses
Copyright 2014

Justine starts her Sophomore year at another new school.  She moves around a lot it seems to her like she is moving every year.  It is not quite as bad as that but it feels that way. The first day of her Sophmore year starts out horribly, she is the new girl and the other students are making fun of her, she hates New Jersey...

Justine's first day she decides to wear a paper dress which turns into a disaster when the dress gets stained and classm
Barbara
Ashley
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it

For Justine, Bianca, Becka, Polly, and Anne, living in Westfield, New Jersey is "life on planet toilet paper." At least that's how Justine feels when she shows up as the new girl in school wearing a Scott Paper Caper dress. To her, it's a super-original fashion statement. But other "loser freaks" don't agree.

The other girls have their own fashion issues, ranging from fabulous boots to ragge
Julianna Germono
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The novel, Tales from My Closet by Jennifer Anne Moses, is about 4 girls who are all having a personal issue with something in their "closet". New girl, Justine, is trying to hide the fact that her parent's marriage is failing behind her obsession with a paper dress from the 1960s. Model perfect, Becka may own everything she wants, but it doesn't stop her therapist mom's nosy questions. Sporty Polly may be a championship swimmer, but she's afraid that a pair of white designer jeans she loves wi ...more
Catherine
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I was amazed at the amount of drama that a normal high school girl has to go through. Take the clothes, for instance. If you have cool clothes and are beautiful, you are deemed a goddess, and if you wear the highly unoriginal jeans-T-shirt-sneakers uniform, you are practically invisible among al the other people. I think that no one should care about clothes that much. It's not beautiful, expensive items of clothing that give a person his/her personality. It was a good book, though, and I liked ...more
Elizabeth Curington
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect story for any young fashionista, or anyone who wants to be. I really liked the five interconnecting stories of five fashion-forward girls at a New Jersey high school. Each alternating chapter gave new insight into the chapters before it, but kept the story moving ahead as well (a feat not every book masters). The girls were diverse and took on fashion from a different angle, another nice twist. This is not a Clique novel with labels being name dropped every few pages, and even ...more
Julia Rief
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Justine is the main character in Jennifer Anne Moses book, "Tales From My Closet". Justine starts out at a new school and trys to fit in with a new paper dress. All of the girls share their stories and each have a different fashion sense. Becca, the rich one, wears only the most expensive and designer brands, while Justine's style is unique and vintage. Polly is not very wealthy and her mother has a hard time buying her clothes, Robin wears pajamas and Anne uses her grandmother's wardrobe. They ...more
Estelle
In ways, this book reminded me of the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book or even a BSC book. Told from 4 POVs, it wasn't enough time to truly dive into each character. This made for a quick read but some super serious things happened and they were a glossed over in some instances.

Really enjoyed hearing what each girl was wearing and how fashion brought them closer/created a bit of competition.

One other issue I had was how much their maturity flip flopped? They were 15, but when they ta
werejumpinbooks
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Loved the alternating stories throughout the book. Huge of family secrets, financial instabilities, denial, self-image, self-discovery, teenage hormones, and a fashion sense that will drive them crazy! With the alternating stories, you got the insight of all the girl’s thoughts, and how everything played out. Of course all the girls have a connection that is bound to be nothing but true friends.
The story was very well put together, inviting, and you can really see how this could easily be a true
Aj'zalaya Miller
Mar 04, 2014 added it
Recommends it for: amya brown
Recommended to Aj'zalaya by: amya brown
When justine moves to a differnt school, she notice that all the girls have different fashion..
She showed up wearing scoot paper caper dress,she tthinks its a superoriginal fashion statement,but the girls at the school dont like the way she dress. They tried giving her tips on how to dress but she dont agree she want to have her own fashion..Justine has to realize that everyone's style isnt the same its ok if she wants to be different she just have to see that being different is going to be hard
Amanda
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Easy, light reading. Nothing I took too seriously. I'll admit Ann grew on me as well as Robin. Polly I'm on the fence about (what fifteen year old stills calls their mom Mommy all the time?) Justine I thought I'd be ok with (there were certain moments where I felt some sympathy for her) but then there were other moments where I just couldn't care less. Becka is the only character whose POV I didn't enjoy. Then again, the melodramatic tone coming from served as a nice reminder that she's fifteen. ...more
Laeyza Pavana
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tales from my closet is a book about these 4 girls who are into fashion. One day this girl shows up with a paper dress and the 4 girls are wondering how to make the dress. So they go up to the girl and ask her how she made the dress. She tells them how to do it. The girls become best friends and the girl who made the paper dress had showed the 4 girls what she has made out of paper. They become to realize that they should make a web page and sell these items. There web page was doing great and m ...more
Melissa
Dec 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This book wasnt bad. I think if I was in the targeted demographic I would have loved it like the first days of Gossip Girl and Sisterhood of the Traveling pants. Most of the characters are likeable and relateable. The storylines are decent. The author was laying out lessons in a way that didnt sound preachy. I wish there had been a full story on Polly and her dad. Theres no YA books that come to mind and tackle that scenario.

Im having my half child who is going on 13 to read it. I'll update thi
Angela Riley
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I got this book as a freebie on Net Galley. I really enjoyed this book. I was a little surprised after I started that they switched to multiple perspectives. All the girls have nothing in common but that they like to shop. It is definitely a girl book with a lot of girly references. They don't really understand each other but come together. It was enjoyable and I can definitely see my middle school students enjoying this.
Phair
This was a quick FUN read. Very reminiscent of Traveling Pants. It felt realistic, not over-dramatic. Pace was good & I found each of the girls interesting. Picked it up because of the fashion element which wasn't quite as strong as I would have liked but was enough so I didn't feel cheated. I have one of the paper dresses that Justine wears to first day of school. One of these days I will find it again... It has to be in the attic somewhere!
Andrea
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 out of 5 rating

This is a young teen book about 5 fashionistas and how they do or don't fit into their school. It's a story about friendship. It's a story about relationships and families. And it's slightly a book about bullying.

This is definitely geared toward the younger teen crowd. And while it wasn't something that was entirely engaging to me, I see how it could keep the attention of a young teen.
Monique
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Drama lovers
Recommended to Monique by: Drama lover
Get ready, all you drama lovin' girls cause this book is juicy with drama. The beginning of this book started off slow but as you hang in there and keep on reading, things start to make sense. There's many lessons that can be learned in this girl book, just keep your eyes open. If you're not one to love drama, don't think about starting this book as you will start to rip out your hair.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)
  • Keeping the Night Watch
  • Manor of Secrets
  • Stick Man's Really Bad Day
  • Caminar
  • A Dark Inheritance (Unicorne Files, #1)
  • Gay America: Struggle for Equality