Start by marking “Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Writers flock to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) each November because it provides a procrastination-busting deadline. But only a fraction of the participants meet their goal. Denise Jaden was part of that fraction, writing first drafts of her two published young adult novels during NaNoWriMo. In Fast Fiction, she shows other writers how to do what she did, step-b ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by New World Library (first published January 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Fiction

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
101 Books to Read - Nonfiction
82nd out of 207 books — 180 voters
How to Format Your Book by Dorothy May MercerOn Writing by Stephen KingThe Emotion Thesaurus by Angela AckermanSelf-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsSave the Cat! by Blake Snyder
Best How To Writing Books
18th out of 41 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Magdalena
I’m a slow novelist. It takes me several years to write each novel. It’s not something I’m particularly happy about, so the premise of Denise Jaden's Fast Fiction caught my eye. I have read other books which promise a novel in thirty days and most focus on quantity over quality and suggest that the end result is a finished product. Denise Jaden not only practices what she preaches, she advocates the use of fast writing as a means to a solid first draft, not as an end in itself. Fast Fiction is b ...more
Judith Graves
Read an advance copy of this...loved it: Forget the fact that this resource is marketed for those wanting to complete a fast draft - if you're out to get your novel done, period, Jaden's Fast Fiction will be the kick in the ass that gets you there, from story plan to THE END...and beyond.
Robyn
If you're like most writers, you want to write a book.

Even if you don't call yourself a writer you might want to write a book. There are so many stories waiting to be told and, who knows, you might be the person to tell it.

What's great about author Denise Jaden's latest book Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days is she makes you feel like digging out the story deep inside you is possible. And the 30 days thing? Bonus.

I've wanted to write a book for a w
Quinn
Always wanted to write a book? Have the story but don't know how to start--or keep going to write a novel? Denise Jaden has your answer. "Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days" is the answer to most of the question you've had about how to write that novel.

I was a bit skeptical when I picked up the book. I may have even muttered about the way we do everything so fast and without real thought. But after I read the book, I changed my mind. Jaden herself s
Ron Estrada
A fantastic primer for the new novelist and a good review for the veteran. Denise outlines the steps to getting your first draft written fast, with no major plot revisions. Highly recommended.
Carol Anne Shaw
There are a lot of books that try to “teach” us how to write. There are even more that attempt to teach us secret or magic formulas for success.
I am a notorious “pantser,” someone who writes from the seat of their pants…shoots from the hip…just writes it as it comes. There’s a certain freedom to writing this way, but man…it TAKES A LONG TIME TO WRITE A BOOK LIKE THIS!

Then, along came Denis Jaden’s, FAST FICTION. Let me just cut to the chase by saying, this is it, folks. This is the book you wan
Sara
I read this book in one sitting and LOVED it. I can't wait to start my next book and will definitely be using Jaden's guide. The techniques are easy to understand and doable for any writer, whether they are a beginner or more advanced.
josh
Sep 21, 2014 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NaNoWriMoers
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ B&N or UAPL
Solid read. Good planning exercises. Bought it to reference later for NaNoWriMo.
Shawna
Just what I needed to get my Nanowrimo novel started! Now I am bursting with creativity and I can't wait to start writing!! I've learned so much about plot complexity and character development! Thanks Denise Jaden!
Cara
Nov 10, 2014 Cara added it
A thoughtful and easy-to-follow guide for anyone who wants to try NaNo, or just wants something to help them get started/increase word count. Highly recommended. Also, the planning was not at all overwhelming for a pantser like me.
Loren
Faulkner wrote As I Lay Dying in under a month. I can draft a story outline in a night. Not the same thing. Yet again we have a blogger who thinks she's a writer who seems to be confused as to the extensive difference between the following two media forms the novel & the film. I like to believe there is something new to be learned from everyone. This a good book to read if you are interested in writing commercial middle school fantasy fiction with the hopes of immediate film adaptation.
Leif Eric
Leif Eric is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2015
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Phoenix Grey
Phoenix Grey marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Rochelle
Rochelle marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Betina Kroner
Betina Kroner marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
D. R.
D. R. is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Avrila
Avrila is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Leener1220
Leener1220 marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Serendipity
Serendipity marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Angel Trent
Angel Trent marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
David Cox
David Cox marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Sophie Hoopman
Sophie Hoopman marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • The Writer's Tune-up Manual: 35 Exercises That Will Scrape the Rust Off Your Writing
  • Writing Is My Drink: A Writer's Story of Finding Her Voice (and a Guide to How You Can Too)
  • The Creative Compass: Writing Your Way from Inspiration to Publication
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • Women of Letters: Reviving The Lost Art of Correspondence
  • The Mental Game of Baseball: A Guide to Peak Performance
  • The Self-Publisher's Ultimate Resource Guide
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Ballet Beautiful: Transform Your Body and Gain the Strength, Grace, and Focus of a Ballet Dancer
  • Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Microstyle: The Art of Writing Little
2919206
Denise Jaden enjoys writing craft books for writers and fiction for young adults.

Her first novel for teens, LOSING FAITH, was released from Simon Pulse, fall 2010. The first draft was written in 21 days during NaNoWriMo. NEVER ENOUGH, her second novel, was released July 10, 2012. A companion group of stories--NEVER ENOUGH STORIES is available for free at Smashwords.com. WRITING WITH A HEAVY HEART:
More about Denise Jaden...
Never Enough Losing Faith Writing With A Heavy Heart: Using Grief and Loss to Stretch Your Fiction Foreign Exchange Never Enough Stories

“Real life is full of boring transition moments. Weed out those moments and settings for your reader.” 0 likes