Start by marking “Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days” as Want to Read:

Writers flock to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) each November because it provides a procrastination-busting deadline. But only a fraction of the participants meet their goal. Denise Jaden was part of that fraction, writing first drafts of her two published young adult novels during NaNoWriMo. In Fast Fiction, she shows other writers how to do what she did, step-b ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by New World Library (first published January 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Fiction

Start your review of Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days
Magdalena
I’m a slow novelist. It takes me several years to write each novel. It’s not something I’m particularly happy about, so the premise of Denise Jaden's Fast Fiction caught my eye. I have read other books which promise a novel in thirty days and most focus on quantity over quality and suggest that the end result is a finished product. Denise Jaden not only practices what she preaches, she advocates the use of fast writing as a means to a solid first draft, not as an end in itself. Fast Fiction is b ...more
Robyn
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're like most writers, you want to write a book.

Even if you don't call yourself a writer you might want to write a book. There are so many stories waiting to be told and, who knows, you might be the person to tell it.

What's great about author Denise Jaden's latest book Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days is she makes you feel like digging out the story deep inside you is possible. And the 30 days thing? Bonus.

I've wanted to write a book for a w
Loren
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Faulkner wrote As I Lay Dying in under a month. I can draft a story outline in a night. Not the same thing. Yet again we have a blogger who thinks she's a writer who seems to be confused as to the extensive difference between the following two media forms the novel & the film. I like to believe there is something new to be learned from everyone. This a good book to read if you are interested in writing commercial middle school fantasy fiction with the hopes of immediate film adaptation. ...more
Judith Graves
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read an advance copy of this...loved it: Forget the fact that this resource is marketed for those wanting to complete a fast draft - if you're out to get your novel done, period, Jaden's Fast Fiction will be the kick in the ass that gets you there, from story plan to THE END...and beyond.
Ron Estrada
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic primer for the new novelist and a good review for the veteran. Denise outlines the steps to getting your first draft written fast, with no major plot revisions. Highly recommended.
Quinn
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Always wanted to write a book? Have the story but don't know how to start--or keep going to write a novel? Denise Jaden has your answer. "Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days" is the answer to most of the question you've had about how to write that novel.

I was a bit skeptical when I picked up the book. I may have even muttered about the way we do everything so fast and without real thought. But after I read the book, I changed my mind. Jaden herself s
Joseph
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers, NaNoWriMo participants
This book has rarely found information - a specific, step-by-step guide to creating a novel. While most books on writing meander around the author's opinions and thoughts, this book gets right to the point. The author gives guides each day that are vague enough to not stifle creativity, and even includes options for variety. Can be used even if you don't follow the initial outlining process, the daily assignments can be used as inspiration or a way to add a new obstacle. I haven't followed the p ...more
Cara
Mar 09, 2014 added it
A thoughtful and easy-to-follow guide for anyone who wants to try NaNo, or just wants something to help them get started/increase word count. Highly recommended. Also, the planning was not at all overwhelming for a pantser like me.
Shawna
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed to get my Nanowrimo novel started! Now I am bursting with creativity and I can't wait to start writing!! I've learned so much about plot complexity and character development! Thanks Denise Jaden!
Sara
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting and LOVED it. I can't wait to start my next book and will definitely be using Jaden's guide. The techniques are easy to understand and doable for any writer, whether they are a beginner or more advanced.
Kat
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great advice for planning, drafting, and editing! Helped me win my first NaNoWriMo and edit one of my novels. Strongly recommended for any writer!
Josh
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: NaNoWriMoers
Recommended to Josh by: Shelf @ B&N or UAPL
Solid read. Good planning exercises. Bought it to reference later for NaNoWriMo.
Aloysius Kling Jr.
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
To a new writer, the thought of writing 50,000 words in one month for NaNoWriMo can seem an impossible task. I never thought it was possible myself, at least not for a part time writer. However, Denise Jaden thinks it’s not only possible, but she also wrote a book to help writers of all skill levels accomplish this seemingly impossible task. In Fast Fiction, she shows us how to outline and write a first-draft novel in thirty days, regardless of whether we do it during NaNoWriMo or not.

Now, I’ve
Katie Cunningham
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you've done NaNoWriMo, you're familiar with the hectic pace that comes with trying to write a book in 30 days. In general, the advice tend to encourage the writer to grow more chaotic to help them get across the finish line (Add a new character! Follow weird plot threads! How about a sex scene?)

This book takes a different tack, instead encouraging the reader to stick to a plan with the hopes of having a full first draft at the end of 30 days. After a few years of the frantic pace style Nano,
Debra Daniels-zeller
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
This is a great inspiring book on how to quickly write a first draft and is intended to be a day by day guide during your 30 days of novel writing. She also gives lots of ideas of what to do before starting yor first draft as well as some essentials about novels such as plot, thee-act structure, backstory, the characters, creating villians, what your characters want and secondary characters. She leaves nothing out, even naming your characters. This is a book I can refer to again and again for ad ...more
Reallyninja
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am sure it works well for novel that follow a certain format. Mine doesn't and immediately much of this exercise is moot. I can live with that but it would have been nice to have been able to use this book during my fast draft. Meh.
Alexis
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
This guide was fast-drafted.
Laurie Fields
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great outline. Would like to own a copy!
Bracton
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Same advice you can find elsewhere. I do like this author's spirit.
Holli
This book has a good premise and follow through. I also like that a portion of the proceeds for it goes toward NaNoWriMo, one of my favorite websites and yearly challenges. It also pleases me that this one works with NaNoWriMo, rather than against it. I've read at least one how-to book on writing that actually bashed NaNo a bit. Not the best way to make a good impression when this challenge is so well-known and loved. This book has some tips and things I've read in other books but also has other ...more
Mindi Scott
I blurbed this book!

"FAST FICTION is full of strategies and insights that will inspire and motivate writers of every experience level."
Danielle
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read again, one year later.
Julia
Good tutorial, easy to read. Now to put the knowhow into practice during NaNoWriMo 2016!
Louise
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Scholarships, Grants & Prizes 2020
  • Y'all Come Eat
  • The Memory Police
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • The Tapping Solution: A Revolutionary System for Stress-Free Living
  • Home Truths
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind: Dealing with Your House's Dirty Little Secrets
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • How to Be a Perfect Stranger: The Essential Religious Etiquette Handbook
  • Adopt & Embrace Microsoft Teams: A manager's guide to communication, collaboration and coordination with Microsoft Teams
  • Rules for Visiting
  • Territory of Light
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • The Dumb Things Smart People Do with Their Money: Thirteen Ways to Right Your Financial Wrongs
  • Medallion Status: True Stories from Secret Rooms
  • Curating Your Life: The End of the Work-Life Balance Struggle
Denise Jaden enjoys writing craft books for writers as well as fiction for young adults and readers of mystery and romance.

Her first novel for teens, LOSING FAITH, was released from Simon Pulse, fall 2010. She wrote the first draft in 21 days during NaNoWriMo. Her craft book FAST FICTION will serve as a guide for anyone wishing to try NaNoWriMo.

Check out one of Denise's many books for young adult