Start by marking “Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Writers flock to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) each November because it provides a procrastination-busting deadline. But only a fraction of the participants meet their goal. Denise Jaden was part of that fraction, writing first drafts of her two published young adult novels during NaNoWriMo. In Fast Fiction, she shows other writers how to do what she did, step-b ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by New World Library (first published January 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Fiction

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerUnbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
101 Books to Read - Nonfiction
81st out of 205 books — 185 voters
How to Format Your Book by Dorothy May MercerOn Writing by Stephen KingThe Emotion Thesaurus by Angela AckermanSelf-Publishing In the Eye of the Storm by Karl WigginsSave the Cat! by Blake Snyder
Best How To Writing Books
18th out of 41 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Magdalena
I’m a slow novelist. It takes me several years to write each novel. It’s not something I’m particularly happy about, so the premise of Denise Jaden's Fast Fiction caught my eye. I have read other books which promise a novel in thirty days and most focus on quantity over quality and suggest that the end result is a finished product. Denise Jaden not only practices what she preaches, she advocates the use of fast writing as a means to a solid first draft, not as an end in itself. Fast Fiction is b ...more
Robyn
If you're like most writers, you want to write a book.

Even if you don't call yourself a writer you might want to write a book. There are so many stories waiting to be told and, who knows, you might be the person to tell it.

What's great about author Denise Jaden's latest book Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days is she makes you feel like digging out the story deep inside you is possible. And the 30 days thing? Bonus.

I've wanted to write a book for a w
Quinn
Always wanted to write a book? Have the story but don't know how to start--or keep going to write a novel? Denise Jaden has your answer. "Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days" is the answer to most of the question you've had about how to write that novel.

I was a bit skeptical when I picked up the book. I may have even muttered about the way we do everything so fast and without real thought. But after I read the book, I changed my mind. Jaden herself s
Judith Graves
Read an advance copy of this...loved it: Forget the fact that this resource is marketed for those wanting to complete a fast draft - if you're out to get your novel done, period, Jaden's Fast Fiction will be the kick in the ass that gets you there, from story plan to THE END...and beyond.
Ron Estrada
A fantastic primer for the new novelist and a good review for the veteran. Denise outlines the steps to getting your first draft written fast, with no major plot revisions. Highly recommended.
Carol Anne Shaw
There are a lot of books that try to “teach” us how to write. There are even more that attempt to teach us secret or magic formulas for success.
I am a notorious “pantser,” someone who writes from the seat of their pants…shoots from the hip…just writes it as it comes. There’s a certain freedom to writing this way, but man…it TAKES A LONG TIME TO WRITE A BOOK LIKE THIS!

Then, along came Denis Jaden’s, FAST FICTION. Let me just cut to the chase by saying, this is it, folks. This is the book you wan
Sara
I read this book in one sitting and LOVED it. I can't wait to start my next book and will definitely be using Jaden's guide. The techniques are easy to understand and doable for any writer, whether they are a beginner or more advanced.
josh
Sep 21, 2014 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NaNoWriMoers
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ B&N or UAPL
Solid read. Good planning exercises. Bought it to reference later for NaNoWriMo.
Holli
This book has a good premise and follow through. I also like that a portion of the proceeds for it goes toward NaNoWriMo, one of my favorite websites and yearly challenges. It also pleases me that this one works with NaNoWriMo, rather than against it. I've read at least one how-to book on writing that actually bashed NaNo a bit. Not the best way to make a good impression when this challenge is so well-known and loved. This book has some tips and things I've read in other books but also has other ...more
Cara
Nov 10, 2014 Cara added it
A thoughtful and easy-to-follow guide for anyone who wants to try NaNo, or just wants something to help them get started/increase word count. Highly recommended. Also, the planning was not at all overwhelming for a pantser like me.
Shawna
Just what I needed to get my Nanowrimo novel started! Now I am bursting with creativity and I can't wait to start writing!! I've learned so much about plot complexity and character development! Thanks Denise Jaden!
Loren
Faulkner wrote As I Lay Dying in under a month. I can draft a story outline in a night. Not the same thing. Yet again we have a blogger who thinks she's a writer who seems to be confused as to the extensive difference between the following two media forms the novel & the film. I like to believe there is something new to be learned from everyone. This a good book to read if you are interested in writing commercial middle school fantasy fiction with the hopes of immediate film adaptation.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Dawn Pleiness
Dawn Pleiness marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Karey
Karey marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Denise Jaden
Aug 04, 2015 Denise Jaden added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Loving
Loving added it
Aug 01, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Andi-Roo Libecap
Andi-Roo Libecap marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Phoenix Grey
Phoenix Grey marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • The Writer's Tune-up Manual: 35 Exercises That Will Scrape the Rust Off Your Writing
  • The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life
  • Writing Alone and with Others
  • Writing Is My Drink: A Writer's Story of Finding Her Voice (and a Guide to How You Can Too)
  • The Creative Compass: Writing Your Way from Inspiration to Publication
  • Women of Letters: Reviving The Lost Art of Correspondence
  • The Mental Game of Baseball: A Guide to Peak Performance
  • How to Make a Living As a Writer
  • Writing Wild: Forming a Creative Partnership with Nature
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • Business For Authors. How To Be An Author Entrepreneur
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places
2919206
Denise Jaden enjoys writing craft books for writers and fiction for young adults.

Her first novel for teens, LOSING FAITH, was released from Simon Pulse, fall 2010. The first draft was written in 21 days during NaNoWriMo. NEVER ENOUGH, her second novel, was released July 10, 2012. A companion group of stories--NEVER ENOUGH STORIES is available for free at Smashwords.com. WRITING WITH A HEAVY HEART:
More about Denise Jaden...
Never Enough Losing Faith Foreign Exchange Writing With A Heavy Heart: Using Grief and Loss to Stretch Your Fiction Never Enough Stories

“Real life is full of boring transition moments. Weed out those moments and settings for your reader.” 0 likes