Start by marking “Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days” as Want to Read:

Writers flock to National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) each November because it provides a procrastination-busting deadline. But only a fraction of the participants meet their goal. Denise Jaden was part of that fraction, writing first drafts of her two published young adult novels during NaNoWriMo. In Fast Fiction, she shows other writers how to do what she did, step-b ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by New World Library (first published January 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Fiction

Magdalena
I’m a slow novelist. It takes me several years to write each novel. It’s not something I’m particularly happy about, so the premise of Denise Jaden's Fast Fiction caught my eye. I have read other books which promise a novel in thirty days and most focus on quantity over quality and suggest that the end result is a finished product. Denise Jaden not only practices what she preaches, she advocates the use of fast writing as a means to a solid first draft, not as an end in itself. Fast Fiction is b ...more
Robyn
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're like most writers, you want to write a book.

Even if you don't call yourself a writer you might want to write a book. There are so many stories waiting to be told and, who knows, you might be the person to tell it.

What's great about author Denise Jaden's latest book Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days is she makes you feel like digging out the story deep inside you is possible. And the 30 days thing? Bonus.

I've wanted to write a book for a w
Loren
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Faulkner wrote As I Lay Dying in under a month. I can draft a story outline in a night. Not the same thing. Yet again we have a blogger who thinks she's a writer who seems to be confused as to the extensive difference between the following two media forms the novel & the film. I like to believe there is something new to be learned from everyone. This a good book to read if you are interested in writing commercial middle school fantasy fiction with the hopes of immediate film adaptation.
Judith Graves
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read an advance copy of this...loved it: Forget the fact that this resource is marketed for those wanting to complete a fast draft - if you're out to get your novel done, period, Jaden's Fast Fiction will be the kick in the ass that gets you there, from story plan to THE END...and beyond.
Ron Estrada
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic primer for the new novelist and a good review for the veteran. Denise outlines the steps to getting your first draft written fast, with no major plot revisions. Highly recommended.
Kat
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great advice for planning, drafting, and editing! Helped me win two NaNoWriMos and edit one of my novels. Strongly recommended for any writer!
Quinn
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Always wanted to write a book? Have the story but don't know how to start--or keep going to write a novel? Denise Jaden has your answer. "Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days" is the answer to most of the question you've had about how to write that novel.

I was a bit skeptical when I picked up the book. I may have even muttered about the way we do everything so fast and without real thought. But after I read the book, I changed my mind. Jaden herself s
Josef
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers, NaNoWriMo participants
This book has rarely found information - a specific, step-by-step guide to creating a novel. While most books on writing meander around the author's opinions and thoughts, this book gets right to the point. The author gives guides each day that are vague enough to not stifle creativity, and even includes options for variety. Can be used even if you don't follow the initial outlining process, the daily assignments can be used as inspiration or a way to add a new obstacle. I haven't followed the p ...more
Cara
Mar 09, 2014 added it
A thoughtful and easy-to-follow guide for anyone who wants to try NaNo, or just wants something to help them get started/increase word count. Highly recommended. Also, the planning was not at all overwhelming for a pantser like me.
Shawna
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed to get my Nanowrimo novel started! Now I am bursting with creativity and I can't wait to start writing!! I've learned so much about plot complexity and character development! Thanks Denise Jaden!
Sara
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting and LOVED it. I can't wait to start my next book and will definitely be using Jaden's guide. The techniques are easy to understand and doable for any writer, whether they are a beginner or more advanced.
Josh
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: NaNoWriMoers
Recommended to Josh by: Shelf @ B&N or UAPL
Solid read. Good planning exercises. Bought it to reference later for NaNoWriMo.
Aloysius Kling Jr.
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
To a new writer, the thought of writing 50,000 words in one month for NaNoWriMo can seem an impossible task. I never thought it was possible myself, at least not for a part time writer. However, Denise Jaden thinks it’s not only possible, but she also wrote a book to help writers of all skill levels accomplish this seemingly impossible task. In Fast Fiction, she shows us how to outline and write a first-draft novel in thirty days, regardless of whether we do it during NaNoWriMo or not.

Now, I’ve
Katie Cunningham
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you've done NaNoWriMo, you're familiar with the hectic pace that comes with trying to write a book in 30 days. In general, the advice tend to encourage the writer to grow more chaotic to help them get across the finish line (Add a new character! Follow weird plot threads! How about a sex scene?)

This book takes a different tack, instead encouraging the reader to stick to a plan with the hopes of having a full first draft at the end of 30 days. After a few years of the frantic pace style Nano,
Debra Daniels-zeller
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
This is a great inspiring book on how to quickly write a first draft and is intended to be a day by day guide during your 30 days of novel writing. She also gives lots of ideas of what to do before starting yor first draft as well as some essentials about novels such as plot, thee-act structure, backstory, the characters, creating villians, what your characters want and secondary characters. She leaves nothing out, even naming your characters. This is a book I can refer to again and again for ad ...more
Kay
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this a solid three stars until I realized I never felt inspired to write while reading this book.

The advice is very surface, and I can't imagine taking time each day during fast-drafting to read one of the chapters intended to be read while fast-drafting.

Still, I didn't come away empty-handed. The part where she talks about how many words to devote to each act of the story made a lot of sense to me and I'll be adding that to my toolbox for the future.
Reallyninja
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am sure it works well for novel that follow a certain format. Mine doesn't and immediately much of this exercise is moot. I can live with that but it would have been nice to have been able to use this book during my fast draft. Meh.
Alexis
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
This guide was fast-drafted.
Bracton
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Same advice you can find elsewhere. I do like this author's spirit.
Holli
This book has a good premise and follow through. I also like that a portion of the proceeds for it goes toward NaNoWriMo, one of my favorite websites and yearly challenges. It also pleases me that this one works with NaNoWriMo, rather than against it. I've read at least one how-to book on writing that actually bashed NaNo a bit. Not the best way to make a good impression when this challenge is so well-known and loved. This book has some tips and things I've read in other books but also has other ...more
Mindi Scott
I blurbed this book!

"FAST FICTION is full of strategies and insights that will inspire and motivate writers of every experience level."
Danielle
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read again, one year later.
Julia
Good tutorial, easy to read. Now to put the knowhow into practice during NaNoWriMo 2016!
Louise
A. Catlin Wozniak
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Creative Compass: Writing Your Way from Inspiration to Publication
  • Writing Is My Drink: A Writer's Story of Finding Her Voice (and a Guide to How You Can Too)
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Story Trumps Structure: How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules
  • Plot Perfect: How to Build Unforgettable Stories Scene by Scene
  • Writing Wild: Forming a Creative Partnership with Nature
  • Mastering Suspense, Structure, and Plot: How to Write Gripping Stories That Keep Readers on the Edge of Their Seats
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • The Writer's Tune-up Manual: 35 Exercises That Will Scrape the Rust Off Your Writing
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Vex, Hex, Smash, Smooch: Let Verbs Power Your Writing
  • Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal
  • Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book (Helping Writers Become Authors 2)
  • The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Kicking In the Wall: A Year of Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Quotes to Help You Break Through Your Blocks and Reach Your Writing Goals
  • Writing Alone and with Others
Denise Jaden enjoys writing craft books for writers and fiction for young adults.

Her first novel for teens, LOSING FAITH, was released from Simon Pulse, fall 2010. The first draft was written in 21 days during NaNoWriMo. NEVER ENOUGH, her second novel, was released July 10, 2012. A companion group of stories--NEVER ENOUGH STORIES is available for free at Smashwords.com. WRITING WITH A HEAVY HEART:
“Real life is full of boring transition moments. Weed out those moments and settings for your reader.” 1 likes