Start by marking “True Tales of Lust and Love” as Want to Read:
True Tales of Lust and Love

True Tales of Lust and Love

Anna David’s True Tales of Lust and Love began as a one-time-only reading and storytelling show in January of 2012, a venue for writers and comedians to share and laugh at their dating disaster stories. But after selling out the venue and attracting immediate press and buzz—with articles in The LA Weekly, LA Times, Time Out, Flavorpill, and LAist, among others—David agreed ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Soft Skull Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about True Tales of Lust and Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Tales of Lust and Love

Sonia Reppe
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shortstories, romance
Funny and raunchy. Loved it! True short tales by women writers--many of them television/comedy writers. My favorites were: A La Italia; The Older Man; The Test; Summer Camp; and...I hesitate to add--because it was so dirty--Deep-Fried Southern Sex. Raunch, yes, but sophisticated raunch.
Victoria Zieger
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, nonfiction, own
Meh. Some stories were entertaining others didn’t really seem to have a point. But, it was a short book with some funny essays by women.
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had hoped for a bit more and the first three or four stories felt like they offered something to this tittle but the rest just went down hill. I felt so depressed and disappointed with feminine sexuality after reading this ... surely there could have been better contributions or at least give me a different title - like "tales somewhat related to dating and relationships " or or "the elephant graveyard of short stories that should have been about lust and love but that died on the way" so I am ...more
Heather
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
With every short story book there will be some stories you like and some you don't. This one mostly had ones that I just felt meh about. I took my time chipping away at the stories. It was still an OK read though.
Jessica
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Maybe if I had read this when I was 18 I would have found it exciting and interesting. But reading it at age 34 I just felt bored. It took me ten days to get to page 40...I kept putting it down and reading other books instead. Not for me.
Denise
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting and funny light-read on dating and love. It reminded me a lot of reading those relationship funny stories in Cosmo.
Curtis Edmonds
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of dating stories by women writers. Some of them are funny, and those that aren't tend towards the very sad indeed. Most of the stories were originally spoken-word narratives, and read better that way than they do as short stories. My favorite is the last one, written by my friend Laura House about a surreal trip to the Spearmint Rhino in Las Vegas. But the one that I think will stay with me is the one about a chance encounter with a childhood boyfriend now going by the cogn ...more
Lisa
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just what this single girl in suburbia needed to snap out of the blues brought on by this most wicked of "holidays," Valentine's Day. I'm not alone in dreading the 21st century dating scene. I'm part of a club in which I know no one and yet they're like sisters. Lots of smart, funny, attractive women have had even more horrid, humiliating, hilarious (20/20 hindsight and all) dating, sex, and love (and lust) disasters. Hallelujah!
Micha Goebig
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my shelf forever because I expected it to be some kind of SATC type of thing, and I'm so over that. But it's not at all! It's real women sharing real stories about dating, loving and having sex. Some are super funny (several of the authors are comedians), some not at all. But every story is honest, some even to the point where it hurts. It's a pretty brilliant collection and I enjoyed reading it a lot.
George Ilsley
Mar 14, 2014 rated it liked it
An easy, fun read, with moments of brilliance. I found the third section ("Love - or something like it") to drag. Some of the essays in this section were boring and pointless, and I wondered why they were included in this anthology.

If this collection had just been the first two sections, I would have rated it 4 stars.
Amanda Renee
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. My jaw dropped from page 1 and stayed that way until the very last page. I can't remember laughing so hard in ages. Excellent book! These are truly hysterical and shocking tales of love and lust.
Caroline
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought this was absolutely hilarious! All the stories are smart, funny, and touching, and definitely were relatable. It's a nice light read that's likely to make you laugh and feel like you're not alone in the odd world of dating and love.
Eden
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
The first part of this book was hilarious, the second part was entertaining, and the third part was so depressing I stopped reading.
Emily Mellow
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite good. The stories are mostly very funny and entertaining, written by people who know how to make people laugh at their own exploits.
Maile James
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I laughed out loud often and I even read some of the stories to my husband... first being "Water Snake" (in case he ever gets any ideas!)
Christine
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a quick, and mostly funny read that covers the sex and relationship foibles many of us make (and sometimes make again and again), but hopefully grow from and learn to laugh about.
Kimberlee
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
loved the first 2 sections but the last fell off a bit but overall very good
Melissa
I started this book too late at night and ended up laughing out loud at 1 am. Almost every raunchy story made me giggle...I was just so entertained. I even read a few of the stories twice.
Madge
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This collection of stories was worth the read. Some clearly better than others but a great book to take on a plane or vacation. Lots of varying stories on the same theme of Lust and Love.
Shenxi-Maud
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilarious
Me Alley
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious
Pamela Ribon
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hooray for national treasure Laura House!
Jamaica Jeffers
Oct 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Book of Jezebel: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Lady Things
  • David Sedaris Diaries: A Visual Compendium
  • Requiem for a Paper Bag: Celebrities and Civilians Tell Stories of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Found Items from Around the World
  • Alice Close Your Eyes
  • Wretched Writing: A Compendium of Crimes Against the English Language
  • Life Lessons from Remarkable Women: Tales of Triumph, Failure and Learning to Love Yourself
  • The Furry Fortune
  • My Greek Drama: Life, Love, and One Woman's Olympic Effort to Bring Glory to Her Country
  • The Unicorn Thief (Unicorns of the Mist, #2)
  • Superfans: Into the Heart of Obsessive Sports Fandom
  • Isabella's Libretto
  • The Happy Life: The Search for Contentment in the Modern World (Quarterly Essay #41)
  • The Rest of Life: Three Novellas
  • Betwixt-and-Between: Essays on the Writing Life
  • Greed (Detective John Lynch #2)
  • Because: A Lyric Memoir
  • Taken
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
Anna David is the New York Times-bestselling author of the novels Party Girl (HarperCollins, 2007) and Bought (HarperCollins, 2009), the non-fiction books Reality Matters (HarperCollins, 2010), Falling for Me (HarperCollins, 2011) and By Some Miracle I Made It Out of There (Simon & Schuster, 2013) and the Kindle Singles Animal Attraction (Amazon, 2012) and They Like Me, They Really Like Me (Am ...more