Start by marking “Заповедник - Авторский сборник” as Want to Read:

Published 2005 by Azbooka-klassika

Be the first to ask a question about Заповедник - Авторский сборник

Laura Leaney
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artists, alcoholics, lovers of Russian literature, lovers of humanity
I love this book, the author, the whole ironic "almost dissident" voice. Funny and compassionate, the writer Boris Alikhanov (based on Dovlatov) cannot get published in Soviet Russia. He has left his wife and daughter to work as a tour guide at the Pushkin Hills Preserve, staffed by very strange devotees to Pushkin. The writing is hilariously understated and brimming with sad truths. When Boris gets to the Preserve he has not yet been trained as a guide. Here is a slice of excellence:

"Do look at
Caroline
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What’s more, Misha’s speech was organized in a remarkable way. Only nouns and verbs were pronounced with clarity and dependability. Mostly in inappropriate combinations. All secondary parts of speech Mikhail Ivanovich used at his sole discretion. Whichever ones happened to turn up. Never mind the prepositions, particles and conjunctions. He created them as he went along. His speech was not unlike classical music, abstract art or the song of a goldfinch. Emotions clearly prevailed over meaning.
Diane S ☔
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Boris is a failure, he is an alcoholic, an unpublished author, recently divorced and is not sure where his life will take him. So he takes a job as a guide at the Pushkin preserve, where everyone loves Pushkin.

This is a very quick read, so much of the book is dialogue, both ironic and pithy observations of dialogue. Seems he is a rarity at the preserve, he is male and many of the women seem to love him. Will he find his sense of self there?

First read for me by this author, will definitely
Diana Hincu
Cartea 4. Rusia.
Cu autorul Dovlatov, a fost dragoste la prima vedere. Sau citire cum ar fi. Nu am scris primele impresii,  asteptind sa se aseze entuziasmul de inamorata. Fiecare dialog, iti da ghesh la vreun gind,  intrebarile is profunde sau retorice,  iar umoru-i satiric, strabate in lung si in lat.  Subiectele lui is grele, dar scrisul dimpotriva, aerisit si usor prozaic.
Curioasa treaba migratia asta. Se temea sa isi piarda din personalitate, daca emigreaza. Cu ironia disidentului sovietic i
Lala Məmmədova
Deyəsən həftəsonunu Dovlatova həsr edəcəm. Başlamaq istəyən payız depressiyasından yaxşı qoruyur. Həmişəki kimi xoş, ürəkdən yazır.
Chaitra
Two words. Hilarious, poignant. That pretty much sums up this novella about dissidence, dissolution (of one's life and of Soviet Russia), and drink. Glad I read it. 5 stars.
Ibrahim Niftiyev
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biz özümüzü bu qədər rahatçılığın içində qurban hiss edirik, lakin Dovlatov alınmayan ailə həyatının, uğursuz karyeranın və deyərdim ki, səfeh dostlar əhatəsinin tən ortasında həyatın gözünə dik baxa bilir. "Qoruq" yetkinlik illərinin qəribə vakuumunun, bilinən turbulentliyinin məhsuludur. Dovlatovun kitabları və hekayələri onun həyatının xronologiyasıdır. Dovlatovun işləri məndə ona görə maraq doğurur ki, onlar adətən bədii ədəbiyyatda təsvir olunan şişirtmə nümunəviliyin tam əksidir. Hansısa i ...more
Michael Lieberman
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Bottom line: Not as funny or moving in English as the hype promises. I don't know how it reads in Russian, but in English translation much of the language felt too much like farce and the story line was not sufficiently intriguing to hold my interest.

Sergei Dovlatov (1941-1990) comes highly praised by his contemporary, Nobel Prize winning poet Joseph Brodsky and is described in a NYRB article by Masha Gessen as a great creator of sayings and humor in Russian—his effect on Russian is said to be c
Michael
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
"What's your pleasure?" a waiter asks. "'My pleasure,' I said, 'is for everyone to be kind, humble and courteous.’”
Narrated in the first person, we get hilarious observations on rural life in pre-collapse Russia; but underneath the jokes there are ruminations about art, writing, censorship, exile, love, and life in general.
With it’s numerous notes, I feel like I missed less that I might have, but still feel I missed a lot due to my limited knowledge of Russian political and cultural history.
Tuck
hilarious dialog novel of a kind-hearted sap, who loses everything to his drunken ways. forced to seek some sort of employment, he gets a gig as a tour guide a pushkin hills preserve (not that fantastic really, really). a fast and informative read into the life essence of russians: too much vodka and heart.
Rich Goldblatt
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Humorous short story by an under appreciated author Sergei Dovlatov. Add a star if you a student of Russian literature and politics.
Charlie
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Another tragic and sad Russian book; I felt transported to the location and could feel the pain; some bits of humor as well. I think I may be over my enjoyment of sad Russian literature for a bit.
Bettie☯
Apr 16, 2014 marked it as wish-list
Looks fab...
Nikolay Berezikov
Прекрасная проза, очень интересно читать, про советского человека.
Katharine
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: russia
I love Dovlatov. His pithy and humorous depiction of life in the late Soviet Union is always exactly right. Indispensable reading for students of the Russian psyche.
Stasy
Jun 25, 2014
Vpv5645
Aug 13, 2018
Viktor
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
О жизни, мыслях и действиях
Aseem Kaul
  • Dear Reader
  • The Symmetry Teacher
  • The Asiatics
  • Waiting for the Electricity
  • Black Dragon River: A Journey Down the Amur River at the Borderlands of Empires
  • The Word Book
  • Take It or Leave It
  • Mr. Bones
  • Byzantium: Stories
  • Journey to Armenia
  • Memories: From Moscow to the Black Sea
  • Writing Los Angeles: A Literary Anthology (Library of America)
  • Dukla
  • The Fault Line: Traveling the Other Europe, From Finland to Ukraine
  • Waking Raphael
  • Naissance d'un pont
  • Mountain City
  • My Past and Thoughts: The Memoirs of Alexander Herzen
SERGEI DOVLATOV (Russian: Сергей Довлатов) was born in Ufa, Bashkiria (U.S.S.R.), in 1941. He dropped out of the University of Leningrad after two years and was drafted into the army, serving as a guard in high-security prison camps. In 1965 he began to work as a journalist, first in Leningrad and then in Tallinn, Estonia. After a period of intense harassment by the authorities, he emigrated to th ...more