Start by marking “Pietr the Latvian” as Want to Read:
Pietr the Latvian

Pietr the Latvian

(Inspector Maigret #1)

What he sought, what he waited and watched out for was the crack in the wall. In other words, the instant when the human being comes out from behind the opponent . . .

Published November 7th 2013 by Penguin Classics (first published May 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Pietr the Latvian, please sign up.
Greg Great question John. Mike Hammer flashed into mind. Mickey Spillane was writing comic books and he had a character named Damage or Danger or something…moreGreat question John. Mike Hammer flashed into mind. Mickey Spillane was writing comic books and he had a character named Damage or Danger or something, but the character was a superhero. Spillane's audience grew up and Spillane turned his comic book character into Hammer. And, within a few years, Mickey Spillane had 7 of the top 10 Bestselling American Novels in the history of USA publishing. We WANT our heroes to be superheroes! In Peitr the Lartvian, let's not forget Maigret is doped on morphine the last third of the novel while doctors are begging him to have at least 2 ribs removed. But he keeps going: he is drugged up and about to catch the bad guy/s and bad girl/s. I believed every word cause I wanted to. We humans want to be superhumans! We do!(less)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) If David Brown's suggestion doesn't help, create an entry for it using the ISBN number. It's what I've had to do for the majority of French titles I'v…moreIf David Brown's suggestion doesn't help, create an entry for it using the ISBN number. It's what I've had to do for the majority of French titles I've read.(less)

Start your review of Pietr the Latvian
Adrian
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Right, well this has to be my favourite fiction book of the year, easily. I don't think I have ever read any Maigret before, but I have seen numerous different tv versions from Michael Gambon to Rowan Atkinson, and enjoyed the character.
The book itself was atmospheric and a great murder mystery, with tension building all the way through the unfortunately so brief book. I have enjoyed the latest Maigret on TV with Rowan Atkinson and was surprised to find that in the book he is a well build man no
David Schaafsma
"Not that he looked like a cartoon policeman. He didn't have a mustache and he didn't wear heavy boots. His clothes were well-cut and made of fairly light worsted. He shaved every day and looked after his hands.

But his frame was proletarian. He was a big, bony man. His firm muscles filled out his jacket and quickly pulled all his trousers out of shape.

He had a way of imposing himself just by standing there. His assertive presence had often irked many of his own colleagues."

Marking the debut of
Toby
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It's the first one. Thank goodness for these Penguin reissues, I was starting to think I'd never find a copy. These early Maigret's are nothing like what the series would become, potentially Simenon had high hopes for literary success for the handful of Maigret novels he'd written before launching them as a complete work in a hail of publicity; thus explaining the more existential nature of them compared to the casual musings over a delicate meal and stiff drink that would characterise the later ...more
F.R.
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
There’s a distinct lack of glamour to this first Maigret mystery. In itself that’s interesting as this is a story centred on an international con-man and an American investor in one of the finest hotels in Paris. Surely that gives a triumphant yell of glamour. In the hands of a Leslie Charteris or an Agatha Christie, the glamour would have been buffed shiny and played up above all else. But in this novel everything is filtered through the doughty, solid presence of Inspector Maigret – a man who ...more
Susan
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am a great fan of crime novels published between the wars (this was published in 1930) I have never read the Inspector Maigret novels. This is the first in a long running series, reprinted by Penguin, featuring the stolid Detective Chief Inspector. The book opens with Maigret receiving a telegram from the International Criminal Police Commission, warning him of the imminent arrival of the notorious conman Pietr the Latvian. Armed with a description, Maigret heads for the Gare du Nord, ...more
Claire  Admiral
★★★☆☆ 3.5 stars
Cphe
A fairly solid police procedural, the start of a series featuring the dogged and somewhat dour Inspector Maigret. A relatively slow and convoluted mystery.

The high light was the time period, setting and atmosphere of the novel. There were a couple of typos in this particular edition although nothing major.
Bill Lynas
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pipe, a hat & a warm stove......welcome to the world of Inspector Maigret. Simenon's first Maigret novel, published in 1930, is a very enjoyable tale full of interesting characters, plot twists & even a bit of action. So, this is what I've been missing all these years. Mind you, I don't want to like him too much. It seems there are 75 novels & 28 short stories in the series. I'd better make some room on the bookshelves. ...more
Jim
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, simenon, france
This is a re-read for me. The same reason I re-read it made me change my rating from four stars to five. There is something amazing to me about this first mystery by Georges Simenon to be published to be not only complicated by masterful. Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett is called by several names: In France, it was published as Pierre-le-Leton. In English it goes by the names Suite at the Majestic, The Strange Case of Peter the Lett, The Case of Peter the Lett, and the title shown above.

I keep co
Nancy Oakes
When I finally was able to finish this book, I really wanted to go right away to the next one in the series, but it will keep for a few days.

Not only did I have fun playing armchair detective with this one because it is indeed a puzzler, but just as the book was starting to wind down and the solution to the case at hand about to be revealed, I surprised myself when I realized that what comes out of the last few pages is actually the very stuff of Simenon's excellent romans durs, in which, as J
Chris
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, mystery
The first in the Inspector Maigret series. An early police procedural, and noir in it's atmospheric feel. The Inspector is tracking an international scam artist, and dead bodies seem to turn up fairly regularly in his search. It is an interesting plot that had a few twists to it.
Published in 1930, one understands that following evidence is time-consuming & surveillance is rudimentary at best and poor Maigret is often caught in the rain trying to do his job when he'd much rather be drinking beer
Ivonne Rovira
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sartre and Camus
Georges Simenon’s creation, Chief Inspector Maigret, differs considerably from your average Golden Age detective from across the Channel or across the Pond.

Also published under the title of Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett and The Strange Case of Peter the Lett, this introduction to Maigret reveals a closed-mouth, almost taciturn man, large and infinitely patient and persistent. Police are tracking a cocky criminal mastermind with the eponymous nickname, Pietr the Latvian, but, when following thi
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
It's interesting to me how different each Maigret is. Simenon is not a formulaic mystery writer.

This story was written in 1931 so was, no doubt, an early effort; however, I am impressed with how mature the writing is. Also, considering the year, Maigret refers to the rumblings of history in the background, the communism settling in in Russia, the ever increasing disenfranchisement of European Jews.

The story starts with a murder in a train. The international crook, Pietr Lett, whom Maigret has be
Nigeyb
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I've recently rediscovered Georges Simenon having not read him for many decades. I'd only ever read his Maigret books so started with a couple of his Roman Durs (hard novels) - both The Mahé Circle and The Hand are excellent.

Pietr the Latvian (1930) was the first book in the Maigret series. I enjoyed it. A somewhat convoluted plot was, at times, a little hard to follow however the whole thing was helpfully deconstructed at the end.

It's enjoyable and undemanding fare, not a patch on the two Roma
Elizabeth (Alaska)
As can be seen in the GR title, this is the first in a series. I think this series can be read in any order, but I hoped to get a full introduction to Inspector Maigret, and I was not disappointed. There is a lot of plot, as one might expect. The mystery was different. There was a bit more to the other non-reappearing characters than I might have expected, although to suggest they are fully fleshed would be an exaggeration. The prose is good - it isn't so complex as to get in the way of the stor ...more
Martin
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
It took a typhoon to lead me to this book.

My wife and had sailed to Ormoc City on the Philippine island of Leyte when the typhoon struck leaving us stranded.

We wanted to return to our home on the tiny island of Pilar, but the ferry captains would not sail for several days. So we stayed at the Don Felipe Hotel, a nice place that had seen better days. In the restaurant I met a fellow westerner. We talked of our interests and I found that he also liked to read similar books. He had just been watchi
Susan Johnson
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Kim
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up devouring Simenon. Every week I would pick up 3 new Simenon to read at the library and head home to travel to Paris and the dark, damp allies and hotels there... I can't remember if I finished all of the Maigret series, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading what I did. Maigret provided me with my first realized yearning to visit a foreign city. Paris... came so alive and real for me in those books. Just as Dickens did for London, Simenon did for Paris.

I've been restless in my reading latel
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this.
Once again I understood the importance of a proper translation. I've read another book in these series (there is over 75 books) and I found it bland and unengaging. This book was on a deal at audible and I decided to give it another go, as I always hear praises for Simenon. And what a surprise, it was an entirely different experience. Much better writing and the book flow nicely, sentences not cut short bluntly. Not surprised to read that this is a new translation by David B
Greg
Dame Agatha Christie and Her Peers
BOOK 14
A Surprise! I can't believe I've never read this author before.
CAST - 4 stars: Detective Chief Inspector Maigret, rather 'Maigret of the Flying Squad', is 45 years old and so big "...a hostile presence that the [Majestic] hotel could not assimilate..." But Maigret is big in many ways. Then there is Detective Torrence, 30 y/o, "...solid and bulky...that made him an almost full-scale model of his boss. The titular Pietr of Latvia is a con artist who travels
Andy Weston
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Simenon’s Inspector Maigret novels and published in 1930 is a darker read than most mysteries from that Golden Age of the 1930’s, from luxurious hotels and theatres to seedy boarding houses and there is true despair in some of the characters involved. At this very early stage in Simenon’s career he gives a glimpse of that French ‘noir’ that he would become famous for.

Maigret’s character will develop through the novels also. Here he is a relatively young man, doing a lot of
Richard
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I love Maigret novels and have read them over the years as and when I could get them. I was therefore thrilled when penguin books announced they were going to release all of the inspector Maigret novels in the order they were originally published; releasing 1 of the 75 books each month.
Pietr the Latvian was originally published in 1930. Although I had read this account I have decided to return to this series and read all the books in the chronology of their accepted writing/publication.
This was
Michael P.
This book disappointed for several reasons. The physiological “realism” and insight that impressed me in Simenon’s writings in my twenties seem extreme and left me incredulous. After an initial death, nothing happens except that detective Maigret follows people around for 50 pages, more than 1/3 of the book's length. When something finally does happen, it is unrealistic in the way it unfolds.

Little things are not quite believable, things so small that they might soon be forgotten but they add u
Tras
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Superb! My first Maigret novel. Gritty. Dark. Real. Well, as real as 1930's Paris could feel some 90 years after the fact. A Paris where people smoked a lot, drank a lot, and got soaked to the skin with alarming regularity. I liked Maigret. I liked him a lot. No airs or graces. No pomposity. No talking about himself in the 3rd person. No stupid little mustache. He felt like someone it would be good to know. Someone that you would trust implicitly. Possibly even with your life given the right cir ...more
Kathy
Dec 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a ghastly book, this first Maigret. I have really enjoyed several books from this series and thought I ought to read the first go round. Cannot recommend this book.
Gary
A dark, existential, page turner, Pietr the Latvian (originally published in 1930) was the first of Georges Simenon's mysteries featuring French detective Jules Maigret. Penguin Classics is now reissuing all 75 of Simenon’s Maigret mysteries in new translations, which is good news for Maigret addicts like me. Simenon’s pulp mysteries are arguably the bleakest works of noir ever published in the genre. They play out through a fog of bad weather and tobacco smoke, and there are never any happy end ...more
Bettie
Description: A gripping new translation of the first novel in the famous Inspector Maigret series

Who is Pietr the Latvian? Is he a gentleman thief? A Russian drinking absinthe in a grimy bar? A married Norwegian sea captain? A twisted corpse in a train bathroom? Or is he all of these men? Inspector Maigret, tracking a mysterious a
Deanna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars. My first Maigret. A quick read. So so story. I enjoyed the atmosphere of mid-century France from a crime novel point of view that's a little different from what I'm used to in American and British novels. I'll read another in the series.
Barbara
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a 3.5 star book for me but I rounded it up to 4. This is the first Maigret novel and I read a new translation. It left me wanting to read more Maigret. Although the character and his background are merely sketched in, there is enough in this story that demonstrates he is a character who is persistent, and this leads him to success. He is also a shrewd observer of his surroundings and the people in them.

Pietr the Latvian is a scam artist on an international level. He arrives in Paris at
Paul
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
"He had a way of imposing himself just by standing there. His assertive presence had often irked many of his own colleagues.
It was something more than self-confidence but less than pride. He would turn up and stand like na rock with his feet wide apart. On that rock all would shatter, whether Maigret moved forward or stayed exactly where he was."

This was my second attempt at reading this, Simeonon's first Maigret story. I read one of his stand-alone novels , which for some reason allowed me t
Reading the 20th ...: Georges Simenon 86 44 May 18, 2020 10:36AM
Never too Late to...: 2020 February Pietr the Latvian 29 19 Mar 02, 2020 07:24PM
Do You Even Readi...: All finished! 4 2 Apr 05, 2017 01:11PM

• Make Room! Make Room!
  • L'inverno più nero. Un'indagine del commissario De Luca
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano #5)
  • Il colibrì
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder at the Ashmolean (Museum Mysteries, #3)
  • L'altro capo del filo (Commissario Montalbano, #24)
  • Odifreddi: Grandi menti a confronto - La serie completa
  • I giorni del giudizio
  • La logica della lampara
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • La signora del martedì
  • I russi sono matti: Corso sintetico di letteratura russa 1820-1991
  • The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • A Kind Of Anger
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75

Inspector Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)
  • The Two-Penny Bar (Maigret #11)