Start by marking “The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)

The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien

(Inspector Maigret #4)

A new translation of a haunting tale about the lengths to which people will go to escape from guilt and book four of the Inspector Maigret series
On a trip to Brussels, Maigret unwittingly causes a man's suicide, but his own remorse is overshadowed by the discovery of the sordid events that drove the desperate man to shoot himself.

Collect this and other novels in the Insp
Published February 11th 2014 by Penguin Classics (first published February 1931)

Start your review of The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
Adrian
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When is a crime not a crime ? When it’s “The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien”

This was Maigret at his most vulnerable but also at his best.

I read my first ever Maigret last year, and my second, and they both made it into my favourite books of 2018. I can tell you now that this book, will be on my list for 2019, without a doubt.

Maigret is drawn into this affair purely by chance and then becomes so enmeshed he has to see it through to the very end. It takes place in France, Belgium and Germany as he t
Bill
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maigret's chief talent doesn't seem to be genius, or method, or physical strength, or even hard work - rather, he's simply interested in people, and why they behave the way they do. ~ novelist Scott Bradfield

Detective Chief Inspector Maigret's curiosity about the peculiar behavior of a shabbily-dressed, middle-aged man waiting in the Gare de Neuschanz train station in 1930 Netherlands leads to a tragic suicide, for which Maigret correctly fears he is at least partly responsible. His sense of gui
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
This book surprised me. It's a classic of detective fiction, which means that after about 120 pages of classic detective work on the part of Chief Inspector Maigret, I could barely keep my eyelids up! Bored - yes, immensely - and yet, I am so completely onboard with Simenon's agenda, or perhaps with a particular theme in the several of this book. The theme that completely caught my sympathy was Maigret's eye for, and understanding of poverty: one of the men in the group he is following says:

Kle
Nancy Oakes
The more Maigret novels I read, the more I believe I've made a good choice in reading the entire series. I am only through book four and I'm already craving the next one.

This time I'm linking my thoughts on this book directly to my reading journal where I talk about it in conjunction with the other two I've just recently finished, The Carter of 'La Providence' and The Late Monsieur Gallet.

Simenon is a master of human nature, and considering I read mainly
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: thoughtful mystery lovers
The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (also published as Maigret and the Hundred Gibbets ) begins with Detective Chief Inspector Jules Maigret following a French suspect in Germany, one who commits suicide within the first few pages. Maigret immediately realizes that, without meaning to, he has caused a certain Louis Genet to shoot himself in the mouth.

This terrible turn of event leads Maigret to try to discover more about this Louis Genet — who turns out to be traveling under an assumed name. As Ma
Martin
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why did a poor man post 30,000 francs to himself?
Why did he shoot himself after misplacing some old blood stained clothes?
Why did the dapper businessman Joseph Van Damme show such an interest in the dead man?
Why are newspaper and police records of February 15 missing?
Why did a man hang himself?
Why is Van Damme always ahead of the Inspector?

Writer Georges Simenon has composed a intricate mystery which does not need;
shoot-outs,
car chases,
explosions,
femme fatale.

There is a however a thoroughly desc
Deb Jones
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maigret has an unusual dilemma in this tale: his conscience is bothering him about a suicide he's witnessed and is certain he has caused. The man who killed himself was using a fake passport, dressed shabbily and acting oddly, but was he a criminal? Maigret finds himself delving deeper and deeper into the mystery surrounding this man -- and examining his own conscience along the way.
F.R.
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
On a train journey, Inspector Maigret espies a shifty, nervous young man guarding a battered old suitcase with odd intensity. Maigret judges the man suspicious and so follows him, then at an opportune moment let’s a strange curiosity gets the better of him and switches the man’s suitcase for a lookalike. Later though he witnesses the man open the new case and be so horrified by what he finds – or what he doesn’t find – that he immediately blows his brains out. But when Maigret opens the real cas ...more
Tras
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoying reading the Maigret books in their original order (and not the slightly different order of the excellent new Penguin translations). I don't know why that feels important. It probably isn't significant yet the feeling prevails nonetheless.

I love Simenon's bleak, sparse, yet superbly descriptive, writing style. It makes me believe this is how things were in the late 20's/early 30's. He isn't afraid to highlight the prevailing poverty of the age, and the frequently dark and grim
Jim
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Georges Simenon is the antidote to all those fussy little mysteries where everything is so clear-cut, and all the detective has to do is waltz between a few suspects until he or she finds the guilty party in a final dash of brilliance. No, there is a kind of Gallic fog about Simenon's Inspector Maigret. Maigret is French to a fault. We start out Maigret and the Hundred Gibbets with a few very discordant facts, and very little idea of whether a crime was committed or, if so, the nature of that cr ...more
John
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: georges-simenon
Another great story with an unexpected ending. Something you would never see in a modern crime story. Maigret see’s a poor man post 30000 francs and his curiosity is aroused. On impulse he follows him and swaps his suitcase for a duplicate. Then in Bremen at a cheap hotel Maigret watches through a keyhole the man open the case and in despair shoot himself after seeing it is not his suitcase.

Maigret feels remorse at this sudden suicide and finds in the suitcase he swapped just a suit of old bloo
David Highton
Maigret follows a suspicious character to Bremen and witnesses his suicide - he determines to find out why, and the back story takes him across Belgium and France. Quite a strong psychological strain runs through this book, with Maigret's doggedness putting on the pressure.
Kathy
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very unique investigation by Maigret where more than one guilty person tries to kill him. The trail is fraught with someone just a few steps ahead of him, destroying evidence from a crime of 10 years gone. This one adds to Maigret's wisdom and stature.
Toby
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An early Maigret that doesn't disappoint. Simenon himself was a bit of an enigma and the way he writes Maigret in these early books probably tells you a lot more about how Simenon saw himself than it does about the man who would go on to star in over 70 detective novels. And no more so than this highly enjoyable read.

This is probably as much of a psychological study as Simenon could make his Maigret novels; unlike his other work, his roman durs, Jules Maigret inhabits the lighter side of Simenon
Thomas
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this one, I agree with another reviewer not so much a who-dunit as a why-dunit.

I was curious to see where it would go and it reached a satisfying conclusion. I am very much enjoying this series of books and I can see similarities between these and Marco Vichi's Inspector Bordelli series. So far the books have been short and sweet, hopefully further along there is longer ones to get my teeth into. 71 more to go and I can't wait to enjoy them
Lady Delacour
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is my 4th George Simenon book.
Each book just gets better.
Narrator Gareth Armstrong has a great voice.
His female voices are always interesting.
Clean except for one word of Foul Language.
Greg
DAME AGATHA CHRISTIE AND HER PEERS
BOOK 26
My second Simenon. But a rather expected story...
CAST- 4 stars: Maigret "still clenched his pipe between his teeth, but it had gone out. And his fleshy face, which seemed punched out of dense clay by strong thumbs, bore an expression bordering on fear or disaster." Maigret should be afraid as he may have caused the mysterious Louis Jeunet to commit suicide. And this guy named Van Damme: why does he show up at the morgue to see Jeunet's body? Three other c
Venky
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Inspector Maigret books by Georges Simenon are to say the least, exquisite in their wake and poignant in their sweep. The third book in the series, “The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien” is no exception. Possessing un-envisaged twists and unpredictable turns, Inspector Maigret’s strange trysts – experienced within the geographies of Belgium and France- with three peculiarly intense individuals, “The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien” is an absolute ripper.

The book begins in the most non-decrepit of set
ColumbusReads
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it

This is my favorite Maigret thus far. I really enjoyed this one and it really deserved a 3 and a half stars from me. This is the 4th book in the series and I have about 71 more to go.
Barbara Nutting
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Now that’s what I call noir!! I liked this one better than the last - no locks, towpaths or nautical terms. This was just a good old fashioned detective story.
FangirlNation
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
In The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien by Georges Simenon, Detective Chief Inspector Maigret is on a train when he sees a man acting curiously. So Maigret follows the man to Brussels, where he gets a room adjoining the first man’s room in a cheap motel. Spying through the keyhole, Maigret sees the man put a gun to his mouth and pull the trigger.

Read the rest of this review and other fun, geeky articles at Fangirl Nation
David C Ward
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the strangest Maigret I’ve read and maybe even the strangest suspense thriller. Maigret’s curiosity instigates a suicide and an almost accidental investigation into the identity of the dead man reveals a crime committed 10 years ago by a band of students. It’s a series of personal encounters and collisions until the ‘criminals’ break under the psychological pressure of being pursued. Practically no actual detective work or even interrogations. Atmospheric of early 20th century Europe but v ...more
Rage
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
as I read through this, I found myself appreciating the psychological quality of the narrative. I found the ending of the story somehow simultaneously maudlin and surprisingly satisfactory. it's very dramatic - as are the scenes where Maigret dashes through Paris, trying to get to newspaper archives before someone else gets there first to rip out the pages. Simenon creates situations that he can describe in lovely, curious ways.
Nadia
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Second sad story in a row. I guess you can pity criminals here too. Only I'm not sure they are even criminals but they were sufficiently punished by life for their crime. This is the story about four sad men half of which went crazy from unbearable guilt.
Maigret here is always late until he comes on time.
Tim Rideout
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien is the fourth novel in Georges Simenon’s Inspector Maigret books. First published in 1931 it evokes the quiet desperation of the early 1930s whilst still being fresh and modern.
Lynne
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A poignant and moving examination of suicide and youthful idealism again showing there is much more to Georges Simenon's Maigret series than simple detective stories. Excellent.
Ashley
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice and quick paced detective fiction.
Frederick
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the translation from 2014 by Linda Coverdale.
Le Pendu de Saint Pholien is the poetic French title. The edition I have is part of an omnibus volume Penguin has put out (containing four novels and an interview) and it has a photo of the cover of the 1931 original. What a grim jacket it had! A corpse dangles from a spar obtruding from a church tower. Pendu and pendulous share a root word, obviously. In any case, of the six Maigret novels I’ve read so far, this one is not only the best, but t
This one might be my favorite so far? It's hard to tell as I have enjoyed all these so far. That being said this one is the most ridiculous as far as 'coincidences' and just literally stumbling into a murder/crime situation.
Rachel
Maigret no. 4 - very enjoyable despite unlikely subject matter. I felt I can see the development of the Maigret character having recently read no. 1.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Track of Sand (Inspector Montalbano, #12)
  • The Z Murders
  • The Terrorists (Martin Beck, #10)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano, #9)
  • La Conquête de Plassans (Les Rougon-Macquart, #4)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • The Hog's Back Mystery (Inspector French #10)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • Jean de Florette
  • Acqua in bocca (Commissario Montalbano, #16.5)
  • The Tempest
  • Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
  • Il cerchio celtico
  • The Dance of the Seagull (Commissario Montalbano, #15)
  • The Cornish Coast Murder (Inspector Bigswell)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75

Inspector Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)
  • The Two-Penny Bar (Maigret #11)