Start by marking “Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the '86 Mets” as Want to Read:
Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the '86 Mets

Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the '86 Mets

They said it was the “Curse of the Bambino.” They said “the bad guys won.” Now one of baseball’s all-time good guys, New York Mets legend Mookie Wilson, tells his side of the story—from the ground ball through Bill Buckner’s legs that capped the miraculous 1986 World Series Game Six rally against the Boston Red Sox to the rise and fall of a team that boasted such outsize p ...more
Published April 29th 2014 by Berkley (first published March 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mookie

Start your review of Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the '86 Mets
Scott Breslove
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A good, not great book in the pantheon of other sports autobiographies. It's what you expect and not much more, which isn't to say it's bad, just status quo. I'm an athlete, I won a big game, this is what happened, this is how I got there, this is what happened after and this is what's happening now, intermingled with this is what I think about these things. And that is that.
Tara
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Mookie, Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Tim "Teufel shuffle"... Those were the guys I loved and rooted for ("MOOKIE!" "MOOKIE!") when I was a seven-year-old New Yorker caught up in the whirlwind of Mets 1986. All these years later I still remember screaming (like only a seven-year-old girl can) when Mookie made it to first base in that unforgettable World Series Game 6. Mookie brings it all back in his bio. A must-read for anyone who still remembers that fever of 1986.
Ray
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The only flaw to this book was that I still don't know how Mookie got his name and what the name means.
George
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mp1, sports
"So, the winning run is at second base... with two out... 3 and 2 to Mookie Wilson. Little roller up along first... BEHIND THE BAG! IT GETS THROUGH BUCKNER! HERE COMES KNIGHT, AND THE METS WIN IT!" This is Vin Scully's famous call on Mookie Wilson's most famous play and one of the most famous plays in baseball history

Mookie Wilson was a center-fielder for the New York Mets and Toronto Blue Jays. While he is most remembered for the Bill Buckner play, but this book is a good book about his life o
Lisa
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The most interesting parts of the book are Mookie's descriptions of his childhood and the racial discrimination that he experienced. Otherwise, it's the standard baseball book where author describes his climb to the majors, recaps his playing experiences, and offers opinions about baseball and non-baseball matters. Met fans will love the detailed accounting of the 1986 NLCS and World Series, and it was great to re-live the Mets' resurgence in the early and mid-1980s.
Melissa Mannon
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a quick, fun summer read that helped me relive my youth. I remember the '86 Mets very fondly. Their remarkable rise to the championship helped shape my youth and helped mold my world view that anything is possible. I will never forget Roger MacDowell and the World Champions celebratory ticker tape parade. Thanks for bringing it all back Mookie. You were my Dad's favorite Met and I admired your hustle.
Meg
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember the 86 World Series well, especially game 6. This book was a fine summary of the season and an insiders look at the antics and escapades of the bad boys of baseball. I love Mookie and enjoyed reading about his early life and what he is doing now,. I knocked a star off because this book cannot recreate the suspense and nail biting tension of that post season, which might be unfair but it is how I feel.
Dan Gould
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mookie is great

I met Mookie at the Mets Fantasy Camp and discovered he is the ultimate gentleman, gracious and humble. I found his book and really enjoyed his take on the Mets climb to World Series champs.
Kristen
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The main thing I learned: Mookie didn't like Gary Carter much.
Gloria Feit
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The sub-title of this book says it all: Almost everything one would want to know about this iconic baseball player, the sport which was the passion of his life, and the fabulous 1986 team that won it all. From the first pages: a terrific brief Forward by Keith Hernandez, continuing with an equally brief Preface by Mookie wherein he states, among other things: “It is my hope that this book is really going to let people know that I have a life outside of baseball and that I am more than just anoth ...more
Asa McMahon
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Emotional Mookie

While Mookie Wilson will always hold a special place in Mets fans' hearts, he comes across as more whiner than winner in his recently published autobiography, Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the '86 Mets (co-written with Erik Sherman).

First, Mookie admits his bitterness towards Mets management for platooning him in the outfield during the 1980's (no surprise there). Next he expresses his anger and sadness towards Straw and Doc for not capitalizing on their tremendous talent and pot
Andrew
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
First, if you are not a Mets fan, like me, read no further. This book is strictly for us, particularly for those of us who saw and remember the '86 Mets.

Second,this book will bring back fond and fun memories of that year. Mookie tells his version of that team. His descriptions of the key games were good to read. And his relationship with Bill Buckner is particularly engaging (I need not explain this to people who obeyed Item #1 above).

Third, this book is surprising in a key way. Mookie Wilson
Buddy
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I originally got this book because I am a fan of the 85-88 New York Mets. I became a fan of baseball in 1988, and the Mets were my team then and remain my team. Surprisingly, the stories about those seasons were not what made this book interesting to me, as this was the reason I got the book in the first place. What I found most interesting, and what helped me appreciate Mookie and this book was his life after baseball, and his growth in his Christian faith. His account of getting out of basebal ...more
Vincent Schaefer
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just received this book for Father's Day. Sat back in the lounge chair and read it in one sitting. First I have to say that I am a life long Met fan. Second, Mookie is my second favorite Met of all time (Behind Cleon Jones for you old timers). So my review is probably higher due to my partiality for Mookie.

The book starts out with the famous game six of the 1986 World Series (Known as the Bill Buckner game). Even though I remember that game so well, Mookie's description took me back and remind
David Lucander
A good enough book and an important reminder that life is more than a single moment. Both Mookie Wilson and Bill Buckner have had richer lives than the slow roller up the first base line that they are enshrined in baseball memory for. It is almost tragic that he was the first African American ballplayer on his college team all those years after Jackie, and it's worse (but not surprising) how Georgia's home fans treated him. Mookie is a story of family values, lucky breaks, and the importance of ...more
Chris Dean
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Saw this book at my local dollar store and probably wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. Like many, I was not a fan of the '86 Mets. I'm glad I read this and realized what a man of character Mookie Wilson is. It is possible to hold your standards and have people respect you for that - very positive message. And while Mookie's post-playing days may not have gone the way he hoped, it is clear he is serving a greater good. Good for him and good for anyone who reads his narrative.
Corey Prinz
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is the standard '86 Mets story from Mookie's view. The history is the same, and the stories the same as most already told. Mookie complains a bit more than I would have liked. Nothing truly new learned. No real insight offered.
Larry Lutzak
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read for a Mets' fan and for a fan of baseball!
Ted
10/18/2016 library ebook version, 1980's to current Mets from a insider's perspective, good read
Brian Farrell
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read for Met devotees.
Edwin
Jan 09, 2019
Stephen
Apr 19, 2018
Tim Swanson
Provided me insights into the life of a black person in South Carolina in the 1960's and early 1970's. Was less segregated than I had imagined. Mookie was the first black baseball player at the University of South Carolina. I learned that a couple of players I knew growing up were on the 1986 Mets World Championship team or played against them - Tom Niedenfuer (Dodgers) and Doug Sisk (Mets).

I picked this book at the Dollar Store for a buck - found it to be a gem. Mookie stood strong in his Chri
Rich Godsil
Jun 29, 2014
Benjamin D.
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Big Hair and Plastic Grass: A Funky Ride Through Baseball and America in the Swinging '70s
  • Swinging '73: The Incredible Year Baseball Got the Designated Hitter, Wife-Swapping Pitchers, and Willie Mays Said Goodbye to America
  • 108 Stitches: Loose Threads, Ripping Yarns, and the Darndest Characters from My Time in the Game
  • I'm Keith Hernandez
  • House of Nails: A Memoir of Life on the Edge
  • Game 7, 1986: Failure and Triumph in the Biggest Game of My Life
  • Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball
  • Men at Work
  • If at First: A Season With the Mets
  • Praying for Gil Hodges: A Memoir of the 1955 World Series and One Family's Love of the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • The Best Game Ever: Pirates 10, Yankees 9: October 13, 1960
  • 3 Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
  • Kings of Queens: Life Beyond Baseball with the '86 Mets
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Boys of Summer
  • My Dad, Yogi: A Memoir of Family and Baseball
  • The Beautiful Ones
  • Long Shot
William Hayward "Mookie" Wilson (born February 9, 1956) is a former Major League Baseball outfielder and coach best remembered as the Met that hit the ground ball that trickled through Bill Buckner's legs in game six of the 1986 World Series.

A switch hitter with excellent speed, his positive attitude and hustle immediately endeared him to a New York Mets fan base with precious few stars to root fo