Start by marking “I Never Knew That About New York” as Want to Read:
I Never Knew That About New York

I Never Knew That About New York

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A treasure trove of fascinating trivia about the city that never sleeps

Did you know:

Grand Central Terminal is the largest railway station in the world. Columbus Circle is the point from which all official distances to and from New York are measured When Queen Elizabeth II visited Trinity Church in 1976, she was presented with 279 peppercorns in back rent Macy’s owns almo
Published March 25th 2014 by Plume (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Never Knew That About New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Knew That About New York

Allan
Aug 07, 2015 Allan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but having the love I do for all things NYC, I decided to take a chance on it.

The book would be best suited to someone actually in the city, acting as it does almost as a tour guide, starting a the southern tip of Manhattan and moving through each of the districts, giving facts about various buildings and landmarks along the way.

To be honest, this was almost a negative for me, as I found the premise a little disjointed, but I eventually got used to th
Bethany
Nov 04, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While at times I thought it was hard to focus on the details in this book, I was constantly thinking to myself, "I never knew that about New York," with almost every page. I have lived in NYC for about 2 years and found myself learning so much about Manhattan and especially enjoyed the information regarding areas I thought I knew well! I have a lot of re-exploring to do and dog tagged several pages with notes on what I want to do around the city! I recommend this to anyone who wants a indepth wa ...more
Ashlin
Feb 26, 2015 Ashlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. As I read, I made lists of all the places I want to see in NYC now. I've lived here for almost 4 years now and don't feel like I've even touched the surface of all the history and artifacts of the city.
Lussita
Jul 06, 2014 Lussita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-york
I took my time to read and enjoy this fantastic book. I'm not sure how I ended up buying it... I've been in love with New York since my first visit, and I thought this book containing multiple facts about the City would be fun to read.
To my surprise, I found much more than fun facts... I found about NY's architecture and society, about NY's hidden treasures, and History all along the streets of Manhattan. I got to know about many people who contributed to this beautiful City. Some of the stories
Mandy
Dec 19, 2013 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for anyone visiting the city of New York who wants to discover some of the city's less obvious and less well known attractions. Divided into sections relating to the various districts, the book is full of unexpected treasures, anecdotes and fascinating facts. There are countless conventional guidebooks to New York but this adds something extra. There's a useful timeline, from 1524 when Giovanni da Verrazano became the first European to enter what became known as New York, right up t ...more
Jiyeon Kang
Jun 20, 2015 Jiyeon Kang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at a small bookstore in NYC last summer, 1 year later now, I'm going to move to NYC in this Summer! This book helped me look around NYC.
Lisa A.
Mar 13, 2014 Lisa A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Excellent book about New York and it's history! I learned a great deal about the city that never sleeps. I always loved walking around New York and now I can bring along this book and learn as I go. This book would make a wonderful gift for someone first visiting this great city or someone who has lived there a while and thinks they know everything about it. I highly recommend it!
Angela
May 07, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing
So many new facts, hidden NY gems I never knew about. I loved this book, and even though I just got back from the Big Apple, I need to return and discover the city all over again.
Helen Geng
Strand Bookstore was founded by a Mr. Bass, not Blass.
Colleen
Jan 31, 2015 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pretty cool stuff to learn.
Bob
Dec 01, 2014 Bob rated it liked it
Finished 12-1-2014. Interesting book about New York.
Alice.
Oct 27, 2014 Alice. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
l'ho adorato con tutti questi piccoli segreti della grande mela.
Wendy Clarkson-Leach
Wendy Clarkson-Leach rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Emily Almeida
Emily Almeida marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Freddy
Freddy added it
Jun 18, 2016
Gaby Montiel
Gaby Montiel marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Arielle Muller
Arielle Muller rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Beachcomber
Beachcomber is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
Alex Bennett
Alex Bennett is currently reading it
May 05, 2016
Karen Lahausse
Karen Lahausse marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Christine Ross
Christine Ross marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Christine Smith
Christine Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Georgie
Georgie is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • New York Diaries: 1609 to 2009
  • The Full Montezuma
  • Walk the Lines: The London Underground, Overground
  • Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes
  • This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield
  • Slightly Out of Focus
  • The Way of the Runner: A Journey into the Fabled World of Japanese Running
  • Wordsmiths & Warriors: The English-Language Tourist's Guide to Britain
  • The City of Strangers (Stefan Gillespie, #2)
  • No Way Home: A Dancer's Journey from the Streets of Havana to the Stages of the World
  • Baltische zielen: Lotgevallen in Estland, Letland en Litouwen
  • Great Maps
  • The Media Relations Department of Hizbollah Wishes You a Happy Birthday: Unexpected Encounters in the Changing Middle East
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2013
  • Waking the Buddha: How the Most Dynamic and Empowering Buddhist Movement in History Is Changing Our Concept of Religion
  • Beyond the Pasta; Recipes, Language and Life with an Italian Family