Start by marking “Silence for the Dead” as Want to Read:
Silence for the Dead

Silence for the Dead

In 1919, Kitty Weekes, pretty, resourceful, and on the run, falsifies her background to obtain a nursing position at Portis House, a remote hospital for soldiers left shell-shocked by the horrors of the Great War. Hiding the shame of their mental instability in what was once a magnificent private estate, the patients suffer from nervous attacks and tormenting dreams. But s ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Silence for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence for the Dead

Julie
Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James is a 2014 NAL publication.

Haunting in more ways than one-

An old mansion converted into a medical facility for ‘shell-shocked’ soldiers is the perfect, atmospheric backdrop for a spooky ghost story. But, this book is more than just a chilling paranormal tale- it is a mystery, a story of friendship, and a sweet, poignant love story.

Porits House is the perfect place for a young woman on the run to hide out, and Kitty Weekes desperately needs a
Kathleen
Fabulous narration by Mary Jane Wells. In 1919 England, at a lonely mansion where moors meet sea, 21 "mad" soldiers convalesce from WWI, suffering PTSD. But ghosts that reek of rot whisper sweet suicide in the patients' ears, inhibiting their recovery.

To this bleak place comes Kitty Weeks, age 20-ish, masquerading as a nurse, fleeing her own murderous father. She's resilient and courageous, but not foolish. She knows something is wrong, and immediately recognizes the mysterious "pat
Jessica Woodbury
This book started on track for 3 stars, basic but a nice quick read. Sadly the last half didn't measure up to the promise of the first. I stuck with it because it has a lot of things I like: mystery, gothic-style scares, etc. The suspense from the beginning doesn't quite hold up and the plot just gets a bit tired near the end.
Jody McGrath
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book by Simone St. James. This one follows a young woman on the run from an abusive father, as she takes a job in a mental hospital after WWI. But of course, not everything is as it seems. With twists and turns, and a completely eerie setting, I devoured this book. Great read!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
After reading Ms. St. James first book, The Haunting of Maddy Clare, I made a note to keep reading her books. I was that impressed. I am quite fond of the early 20th Century period in a fictional setting, and this seems to be a particular area of interest for her as well. With this book, she focused on the troubled homefront of Post-WWI England, when veterans are coming back from the war damaged, both in body and in mind. Kitty Weekes is desperate for a job, desperate enough to take a job at Portis Ho ...more
Caz
Simone St. James seems to be almost single-handedly revitalising the genre of the gothic historical romance, and her latest book, Silence for the Dead proved to be a very enjoyable example indeed.

It’s 1919, and twenty-year-old Kitty Weeks has been running away from her abusive father for the past four years. That means going from job to job, often under assumed names, and never staying in one place too long. She’s gutsy and independent, and even though she can never completely shake them
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I read Lost Among the Living last year and loved it. Since then have I tried to get hold of Simone St. James other books. Silence for the Dead intrigued me with its stunning cover and interesting blurb. What is Kitty Weekes hiding? What's wrong with Portis House? And, what's Jack Yates, the war hero doing there? And, his the place really haunted?

Silence for the Dead is an interesting book about a haunted hospital and patients that have mentally broken down by the war and basically ar
Clarissa Johal
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Simone St. James style of writing and this one did not disappoint. Simone has the ability to pull the reader into a place and time, in this case, 1919 post-war Britain, and write characters that you care about. I like that she threads a bit of romance into her story without destroying it and veering off into "just" romance. This is a ghost story that will keep you turning pages until the wee hours of the morning. I was sad to finish it!
Elizabeth
May 03, 2018 marked it as didn-t-finish
DNF.

100 pages in and the story wasn't going anywhere.
Ariel
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic
I have loved the writing of Simone St. James since her first and my favorite book that she's written, The Haunting of Maddy Clare. This is now her third book and she has perfected a formula of Gothic creepiness with a dash of romance that is right up my alley.

In this novel, lead character Kitty, has accepted a job as a nurse at a remote mental hospital that caters to the wealthy, veteran men of the Great War. The Portis house the hospital is ensconced in is falling apart and the prev
Laura Lee
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Had read authors first two books then suddenly realized I had two more there to read! Read back to back and was not disappointed. Kitty is a young woman so desperate for a job she is pretty much willing to do anything. She is desolate. She begins work at a spookey convalescent home for young soldiers returned from the horrors of WWI. Is the house haunted? You betcha! Brilliant and that's all I'm going to say.
Holly
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Not my favorite book by Simone, so far, but I will say that she's definitely up there with my favorite authors.
SheriC (PM)
This could have been an excellent little ghost story. The buildup of tension and mystery was very well done and the characters were intriguing, but I was disappointed in the final third of the story. Perhaps I should have expected the romance, but it felt forced and implausible, and it was incredibly inappropriate for the two main characters to be playing striptease and grab-ass when patients that the “heroine” was responsible for were dying, unattended, of influenza in another part of the build ...more
The Lit Bitch
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where was this book a few years ago when I watched Crimson Peak and was dying for a book similar?! If you saw Crimson Peak and loved it, then I think you will really enjoy this book.

One of the things that I liked about that film was how the house and ghosts both haunted the characters and this book does something similar and the effect is memorable and so wonderfully suspenseful!

This is my final Simone St James book and I really wanted to end her books on a high note, and
Chris
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A secluded, dark and rotting medical/mental home for war torn soldiers with physical and mental issues. The questionable staff and patients are enough to turn up my creep factor. The lead up story and the characters itself did not disappoint.

The history of the property and the home and it’s former inhabitants who left and abandoned this once luxurious residence is interesting and of course, questionable. I found myself wondering who was really mad, who wasn’t and who was playing games. And I wa
Blackjack
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be Simone St. James's most tightly written and plotted book. The plot is deft and intricate and at the end, all threads are woven together, and some in ways that I did not foresee. There are numerous themes that interlink with other themes too, and it takes until the end of the novel for the bigger picture to emerge, and for this reason alone, I found Silence for the Dead utterly engrossing. There are plenty of other reasons though why I loved this book.

Kitty Weekes
Jane Stewart
2 stars. Weak story. Below average for the audiobook narrator’s accent.

The narrator used an English accent that bothered me. The phrase “look what I got” sounded like “loo wha I gah.” A little of that would be ok, but not the whole book. I enjoy books using the elegant upper class British accent, but not what was used here. On the other hand, the narrator was good with emotional interpretations and general narration.

The best part of the story was the character developmen
Yara
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James is the first book I’ve read by this author and It’s the first paranormal mystery I’ve ever read. I was pleasantly surprised by the book; the characters were believable, and the story was engrossing as any good mystery should be.

The story follows Kitty Weeks, a young woman from London who finds herself down on her luck after WWI and pretends to be a nurse in order to get a job at a remote hospital. The hospital, Portis House, who specializes in the treatm
Lynn Spencer
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars I love a good gothic, and this is a good, dark tale full of secrets and things that aren't as they should be. The Portis House of the book doesn't have so strong an atmosphere as some of the famous gothic houses like Manderley, but I found it creepy nevertheless. The middle portion of the book dragged ever so slightly for me, but I still enjoyed reading this, as I have enjoyed all of this author's books to date.
G.
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5
The ending is the only reason I'm not giving it four stars. It was a bit of a mess. Everything else? Pretty great. Definitely my favourite St. James so far.
Dorine
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Also posted at TBR MOUNTAIN RANGE with more gothic reviews.

If you love gothic love stories, then anything by author Simone St. James promises spooky fun in a historically evocative setting. SILENCE FOR THE DEAD takes place at a remote insane asylum right after the Great War, when the bravery of young men and women wasn't without consequences. Ghosts, evil and some subtle comedic moments mixed in with a really good mystery that slowly unravels rounds out St. James' latest endeavor.

I have
BookishStitcher
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have no clue what prompted me to place this book originally on my TBR in 2014, but I so glad at whatever did. I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed it so much. A spooky house that serves as a mental hospital for soldiers recovering from WWI is just about guaranteed to be something I will enjoy as long as it's well written. A house that harbors a dark past and ghosts, historical fiction, interesting plot, and good writing. I liked it so much (it's almost a 5 star rating for me, but I don't th ...more
Jaclyn
It’s 1919, the Great War is over, but the battle continues on for those that were scarred, both mentally and physically from the battles. Like St. James’ previous novels, post-war life is tackled; however, with Silence for the Dead, the theme of mental illness and PSTD takes the forefront.

Kitty Weeks is a young woman on the run from a painful past. She thinks she has finally found a relatively safe situation as a nurse at Portis House, a far away asylum for former soldiers broken from the
Becky
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Even bad books have surprise endings, this book was the opposite. This was actually a fairly good book until I was about a little more than halfway through it. At some point I realized the main character (the book is in first person) was coming to conclusions and I was clueless as to how she was reaching them. I noticed that relevant things were mentioned only after they needed to be relevant. The best scene in the book was Syd's visit, and gave the impression the entire story may be all in Kitt ...more
Donna
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is not my favorite genre...ghosts, gothic, paranormal. But I enjoyed this book. I was currently reading another book at the time which I desperately needed a break from, so this book was eagerly accepted as a welcomed break.

I have never read this author before. I enjoyed the ease of her writing. The characters and the story didn't feel forced. There were some illogical leaps with no supporting info or clues. But overall, I liked the flow. The character development was also paced
Kaora
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Amy
This might be mildly spoiler-ish? Won't be if you know what genre you're getting yourself into. But be warned.

Silence For the Dead attempts two things. Separately, they succeed. Together, they fall short of full success. But surprisingly, not as short as I initially expected.
First, the book presents historical fiction with a psychological twist. The plot takes place post-WW1 in a "madhouse" for soldiers suffering from PTSD. The heroine experienced abuse as a child and suffers her own form of
Mariana
This book is not one I would typically read. It is a paranormal historical fiction as opposed to a historical romance. However, I chose this book for the narrator; and Mary Jane Wells did not disappoint. Overall, I thought the story was intriguing as well. If you are in the mood for a neo-Gothic paranormal ghost story set in an asylum for veterans of World War 1 who have PTSD, this is a good one to listen to.
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Haunting of Portis House...

Silence for the Dead is about a girl named Kitty Weeks, while on the run from her father, ends up working at a remote hospital for soldiers shell shocked by the Great War; Portis House. Something is not only exasperating the soldiers nightmares but the patients and nurses are encountering eerie noises, cold drafts, menacing apparitions and a strange mold that's slowly destroying the west wing. As things start to get worse, Kitty starts to wonder why the the original o
Lady Wesley
Wow! I don't usually do paranormal, but this audio book was excellent. I liked the narrator's many voices and accents. Thanks, Caz! I never would have tried this without your recommendation. Now I'm eager to hear the next one!
Play Book Tag: Silence for the Dead - St. James - 3 stars 1 7 Apr 28, 2019 05:11PM
DNF - WAAY TOO MUCH! 3 11 Jan 02, 2019 11:22AM
Ending 1 25 Jan 29, 2016 12:51PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Aug 28, 2015 05:04PM
Comments 5 53 Feb 09, 2015 04:22AM

• Night of a Thousand Stars
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4)
  • Ghost Song
  • With This Curse
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
  • The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • Vienna Waltz
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • Lord Deverill's Secret
  • The Flower Reader
  • The Tale of Halcyon Crane
Simone St. James is the award-winning author of The Broken Girls and The Haunting of Maddy Clare, which won two RITA awards from Romance Writers of America and an Arthur Ellis Award from Crime Writers of Canada. She wrote her first ghost story, about a haunted library, when she was in high school, and spent twenty years behind the scenes in the television business before leaving to write full-time ...more