Start by marking “The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever” as Want to Read:
The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever

The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever

Myth: If you save for decades and invest in 401(k)s, IRAs, and a home, these investments will grow steadily, allowing twenty to thirty years of secure, peaceful retirement.

Reality: Though this might have been true at some point in the last century, it is not true any longer. If you want to get ahead and enjoy a life of prosperity, you must invest in the last safe investme
Published January 5th 2016 by Portfolio (first published April 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Safe Investment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Safe Investment

Start your review of The Last Safe Investment: Spending Now to Increase Your True Wealth Forever
Nick Hartley
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Want to read a book on getting rich, look elsewhere. Want to have your definition of rich changed? This is it.

Franklin and Ellsberg lay out a convincing case that Westerners are mostly playing a game they won't be pleased with at the end of it all. In fact, we should reevaluate the entire game altogether.

I know what you're thinking, that's alot of philosophical hyperbole. You're right, it is philosophical and that's the point. What constitutes a good life, i.e. An investment of our one truest no
Chazzle
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The book alternated between really insightful passages and really frustrating passages. It's basically a toolbox of techniques to make a person more valuable in the workplace. Frustration came from getting lost in the authors' world of their own terminology. But again, it's not all bad. The most insightful passage for me came at the very end of the book, where the authors describe the traditional definition of economics, and their take on the finite and the infinite - a very wise passage indeed. ...more
Dominick Quartuccio
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is some serious next-level thinking in this book.

I read a lot of personal development stuff, and it's rare to come across truly fresh and provocative thinking.

I'm a speaker and executive coach, and I'll be bringing language from this book into my conversations with clients:

- Systemic Spending
- Happiness Exchange Rate
- True Wealth
- Exclusionary vs. Inclusionary Prestige
- Building Tribes

I've already bought a dozen books for my clients. Read it.

-Dominick
Synthia Salomon
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blinkist
The biggest takeaway for me from this book is a sense of urgency to find and create my tribe.
Winnie
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I expected the book to offer more insight on growing wealth. Instead, the authors talk a lot about systematic spending, in terms of money and time spent. Every purchase should have an impact on something else other than its intended purpose and time should be spent developing skills and nourishing relationships.

I stopped reading on page 118 since the book was due. I'll write up additional notes I took on my blog post: http://winniemui.com/?p=1318
Cory Huff
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really strong opening. Weak ending. The framework is really useful. The examples less so.
JH
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help, finance
Generally good - but not revolutionary - tips on how to improve your happiness, increase your earning potential. Since the book is middling okay-ish, inevitably the bad points tend to stand out more.

For one, I found it a little discomforting the authors recommended earning favours with people in high places, or people who are well on their way up.

It mentions how one can mentor the young future entrepreneurs, or provide advice to "experienced experts" who would appreciate perspectives from anothe
Vanessa Princessa
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of non-fiction and inevitably some things get repeated. This book is very philosophical and offers a UNIQUE take, I absolutely LOVED IT! What is your definition of rich? Do you posses the right qualities that employers are looking for, which will make you rich?

I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

“The more you love the seedlings that sprout in your mind, the more fertile the mind itself becomes.”

The key message in these blinks:

When we think about wealth, we often think in terms of a
Matt
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a really odd, yet somewhat enlightening book. While I’m glad I read the entire book - I like being exposed to ideas that I may not initially agree with or have experience with - I’d hesitate to recommend people read anything other than chapter 2 through chapter 7.

The statements about money management and investing in the intro are suspect at best. (The gist is this: don’t invest in real estate or the stock market, because you don’t have total control over it. Instead only spend on what
Jered Skousen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book started with such promise. I was really excited about the ideas they presented (although they stretched the truth about how bad everything else was, but I looked past that to see what I could learn).
It was an interesting read for about 1/4 the way. Then it got into the details, and it became a slog. I tried to pick it up and read it, but even when I did I would only get through a few pages. Eventually, I gave up after reading about 60% of it (and it's rare for me to give up on books).
P
Krasimir Kostov
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Practical and insightful. You can feel the author is actually living his truth and speaks out of experience. This is a basic and practical framework for a happy and productive life. Sounds simple? It is, but only after you change your concepts about different aspects of life. If I had to recommend a book to a newly graduated student that wants a right direction in life - this would be the book.
QUINNS
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
You are your own wealth. Like what the author said, it makes far more sense to make yourself your number one asset. By strategically building the skills that employers find desirable, while connecting with supportive people, you could be sure that you are safeguarding the career and continuously grow in earning potential. Great skill like public speaking could help boost your confidence level. A simple online search could teach you key lessons and ensure you to shine amongst the crowd.
Sascha
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blinkist
Louis Shulman
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
I enjoyed this audio-book.

Big picture ideas:
-Consider how your spending effects all areas of your life (called systematic spending)
-Invest in increasing your earning power (through learning valuable and practical skills)
-Invest in areas within your control (aka yourself)

I really like everything I have read from Ellsberg.
Alex Montalto
Interesting book. Brings up some good ideas but as a high school teacher, not all of them are particularly relevant to my field. This is a problem I find in many of these self-improvement books - it focuses on the business/finance/entrepreneur field more than anything else.
Margie
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find it hard to describe because it appears outwardly similar to what many folk are saying. But it's different. Loved it. ...more
Matt Busche
Started really good and should have ended 25% of the way through. The rest was a slog.
Joseph
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Good read though the author was very much opinionated about how we should focus on the tribe rather than invest in ventures that might help one to be financially independent.
Dan Dawson
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Lame.
Mahasin
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, money
This book says invest in you and your network, to build weath together.
Cássius Carvalho
This book is a roadmap for ambitious people. It shows you a pragmatic way to make money, be happier, and develop the necessary skills to be successful. If you want to know how to focus your efforts on the opportunities that have the highest payoffs, use this book as a reference.

Financial Advice Commonly Delivered (FACD plan) vs Self-Amplifying Financial Ecosystem (SAFE plan):
Ellsberg and Bryan start by showing that to invest in the FACD plan is to bet against yourself. You think that having a st
Eric
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, self-help
Some good advice on how to build a profitable set of skills mixed in with a lot of nonsense. Good advice on making more money, but these guys have a pretty bad plan for retirement. They suggest forgetting about 401ks and only putting your money into saving and bonds. Not the soundest financial advice I've ever read.

It was good motivation for learning more sales and marketing, which I plan on building my skills in. And I'll definitely be returning to the chapters and recommendations they have fo
Rodrigo Suguimoto
This book changed the way I see myself and how I'll spend money from now on.
Everything that had been told us, you should buy a house, you should invest in stock to have money, you should go to college. Are they necessary to grow?

The Last Safe Investment brings to the table another perspective. You shouldn't invest your money buying a house, you should invest in yourself, in your skills to create value for others. This is your last safe investment. You and only you.
Sarah S
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mostly common sense.
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Over-dramatic tagline, solid advice for how to work the system.
Gregory
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Like the information on co-living with your tribe.
Justin

• Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • Questions I Am Asked About the Holocaust
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • The Serendipity Mindset: The Art and Science of Creating Good Luck
  • Fast. Feast. Repeat.: The Comprehensive Guide to Delay, Don't Deny® Intermittent Fasting--Including the 28-Day FAST Start
  • Working in the Gig Economy: How to Thrive and Succeed When You Choose to Work for Yourself
  • Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • Sizing People Up: A Veteran FBI Agent's User Manual for Behavior Prediction
  • Austerity: When It Works and When It Doesn't
  • On the Move: A Life
  • The Fate of Rome: Climate, Disease, and the End of an Empire
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • How to Live a Good Life: A Guide to Choosing Your Personal Philosophy
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships