Start by marking “Games Creatures Play” as Want to Read:
Games Creatures Play

Games Creatures Play

(InCryptid #2.3 - Jammed)

Includes a brand-new story featuring Sookie Stackhouse and Manfred Bernardo

ALL-NEW TALES OF UNUSUAL ATHLETICS BY JAN BURKE * DANA CAMERON * ADAM-TROY CASTRO * BRENDAN DuBOIS * CHARLAINE HARRIS * TONI L. P. KELNER * CAITLIN KITTREDGE * WILLIAM KENT KRUEGER * ELLEN KUSHNER * MERCEDES LACKEY * JOE R. LANSDALE * LAURA LIPPMAN * SEANAN McGUIRE * BRANDON SANDERSON * SCOTT SIGLE
Published April 1st 2014 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Games Creatures Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Games Creatures Play

Start your review of Games Creatures Play
Marianne
Games Creatures Play is an anthology of fifteen short stories edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L P Kelner. Fifteen very different stories from fifteen authors, including Scott Sigler, Laura Lippman and Brandon Sanderson; Harris and Kelner themselves also contribute. All the stories involve games, be they of the sporting type, children’s games or games of chance, and all involve some element of the supernatural.

Thus, the reader gets real-life Capture-the-Flag, Hide-and-Seek with malevolent go
Lena
B96-EFDAA-20-B2-4130-B15-A-2-CECF48-F1686
Dead on the Bones by Joe R. Lansdale ★★★★½
A boy takes quick advantage of a conjure man to allow his father to come back and avenge himself against the brother who killed him and the unfaithful wife who helped. I’m a sucker for a good revenge yarn.

9-C570-E9-C-89-E0-47-CC-A1-E0-08-E6-AA4639-A5
In the Blue Hereafter by Charlaine Harris ★★★★☆
Zelda sends Manfred to Bon Temps where he meets Sookie Stackhouse. They watch a softball game but the real game is to figure out why Manfred was sent.

Stepping Into the Dead Zone by Jan Burke ★★★★☆
Sidhe s
Steven
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read the Sookie story, since that's the only series that has a short story in here that I'm up to date on...

Also, YAY, Sookie meets Manfred Bernardo, an excellent character from her Harper Connelly series who also happens to be a major character in her new series about Midnight, Texas. :)

Will return to read the Brandon Sanderson story at some point, though I think it's a standalone and doesn't need any background reading.
Cori Reed
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Anthologies are so hit or miss for me. While there were stories in here I very much enjoyed, I just couldn't make myself finish three of them (The Devil Went Down to Boston, On the Playing Fields of Blood, and The Case of the Haunted Safeway), and several others were not great, but I pushed through.

That said! I quite enjoyed In the Blue Hereafter; Prise de Fer; Jammed and Bell, Book, and Candle Pin.

Overall, not the worst anthology ever, but certainly not the best.
Jeanette Greaves
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Games Creatures Play, edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner

A review by Jeanette Greaves

The game – produce an anthology of fifteen stories.
The rules – they must be short stories, they must include at least one supernatural creature such as a shapeshifter, fairy, vampire or ghost. They must include a strong element of a game or a sport. No author can contribute more than one story.

Go.

And thus was born 'Games Creatures Play' an anthology of fifteen stories, bracketed by Charlaine Harris's
Nov 06, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm not marking this anthology as read or giving it a rating yet because I've only read one of the short stories in it. I do plan to come back and finish it at some point but in the meantime here's my review of the story that I've read:

Read 6th November 2016:
Jammed by Seanan McGuire (Incryptid 2.3) - 3 stars
As much as I love the Incryptid series I just don't feel that connected to Antimony yet and her stories are the least interesting ones I've read so far, possibly because I'm a bit bored by al
Sana Zameer
The rating is for 'Jammed by Seanan McGuire ...more
Tomer
Apr 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: audio, anthology, fantasy
For now only read the story by Seanan McGuire Jammed as part of the Incryptid Series.
Full review will come once the rest of the book is read.
Daiva
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Review of Charlaine Harris - "In the Blue Hereafter" story ONLY. ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Games Creatures Play is an entertaining anthology from fifteen contributors, with each short story featuring the unusual combination of the paranormal and sports.

Some of the authors didn't venture too far from their comfort zone. 'Into the Blue Hereafter' by Charlaine Harris is set at a softball game in Bon Temps, where Sookie Stackhouse and Manfred Bernado meet for the first time. Similarly Seanan McGuire doesn't stray far from the familiarity of her InCryptid series, 'Jammed,' in which a chime
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: High Fantasy fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Romance fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: series by authors
HIDE AND SHRIEK BY ADAM-TROY CASTRO 3.5/5
I read this a second time on June 3,2017 just for $h!ts and giggles. I just couldn't put myself through an entire novel today, and I recalled that this short story was really good.

DREAMER BY BRANDON SANDERSON 4/5
This was so good for a short story. I wouldn't mind a full novel centered around this main character.

ON THE PLAYING FIELDS OF BLOOD BY BRENDAN DEBOIS 2.5/5
I didn't really care for this story. Most Native American tribes didn't have this attitude t
Kathy Davie
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An anthology of 15 short stories revolving around the theme of games — and there’s some mighty fine stretching in here! There are also some mighty fine authors who are new to me in here as well. That TBR of my looks to be fallin’ over…aiyeeee…

Series:
Charlaine Harris - "In the Blue Hereafter" (Sookie Stackhouse, 13.xx and Harper Connelly, xx.5)
Mercedes Lackey - "False Knight on the Road" (SERRAted Edge, xx.5)
Seanan McGuire - "Jammed" (Incryptid, 2.3)
Toni L.P. Kelner - "Bell, Book, and Candlepin"
Amyiw
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars Only read "Jammed" by Seanan McGuire so far.
So Annie is now a part of the roller derby team. This was her natural go to after cheerleader in high school. She wanted to have a family of sorts, that seem to care and stick together as she seems to be an after though to her parents. There are some Incryptids on the teams and in the stands so when one of the members of the other team is found dead, Annie recognizes it as an attack by an incryptid. Now they have to come after the police le
Ron
Quite a diverse set of stories collected here. Every story by a different author dealing with a different sport. A softball game sent Manfred Bernardo off to Texas for the Midnight stories after an encounter with Sookie Stackhouse. Then there were the very nasty games of hide and seek and capture the flag. Greek Olympic games with murder and divine intervention. A ghostly baseball game in a California Safeway. A soul bet on a game of darts in Boston while boot skating was the thing in Baltimore. ...more
Cass
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jammed only
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Perhaps because the theme of this anthology was more innocuous than that of the previous anthology I read, Dangerous Women, this one felt a little more even.

There are several stories that probably make more sense if you've read the author in question's series. "False Knight on the Road" is kind of inexplicable if you're unfamiliar with Mercedes Lackey's Serrated Edge, and "In the Blue Hereafter" clearly lacked resonance for me because I haven't read Sookie Stackhouse.

There's nothing that really
Kevin
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm glad I got this from the library. Of all the stories, just two were OK and the rest uninteresting.
All stories featured games of chance and had supernatural elements.
The first one by Charlaine Harris takes place in Bon Temps and starred Sookie and several new characters. This was mildly entertaining.
The second story I liked was by Mercedes Lackey and was in the world of Serrated Edge I think; the one with Fairies and auto racing.
I simply could not get into any of the other stories, even one
Graylark
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Rating only Seanan McGuire's Jammed. ...more
Ben
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I only read the Brandon Sanderson and Seanan McGuire stories but they were awesome! Sanderson's was interesting and fresh, set in none of his current worlds. McGuire's was another in the awesome Incryptid universe with POV character Antimony Price. Very, very fun! ...more
Emy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up for the Seanan McGuire story, but I ended up thoroughly enjoying all the rest too. The only reason it took a while to read is due to my "snacking" style of reading anthologies - no criticism of the content at all. I've also come out with a few other series to check out :) ...more
Candice
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really just read the Sookie Stackhouse short story - my only reason for buying this book :P
Adele
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
As usual, a few really good stories, one or two pretty bad stories, and a lot of decent stories. Forgettable, but fun.
Ivy
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nice to see Antimony again. I hope the next book is on Antimony. Roller derby sounds fun. Not sure if I would do it though.

Can't wait to see Antimony again.
Deanne
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasyandscifi
There are some really good stories, yes I admit it I like Sookie Stackhouse, but the first story isn't my favourite, think my favourite would be stepping into the dead zone. ...more
Debrac2014
I read this primarily for Seanan McGuire's Jammed but I also read Charlaine Harris's In the Blue Hereafter and Mercedes Lackey's False Knight on the Road! All were good reads! ...more
Melanie
Mar 12, 2017 marked it as to-read-next-continuing-series
✔️Charlaine Harris- "In the Blue Hereafter" (Sookie Stackhouse) ...more
Ronnie
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Average Rating: 3.6*

In the Blue Hereafter I did not actually read this book because the Sookie Stackhouse novels are on my books to read list and I didn't want to spoil myself. Will update once I get to that part in the series.

Hide and Seek this was really great. A story of love and sacrifice, and while I didn't especially love the ending with the real estate agent and the couple, it did draw a nice parallel with Cameron and (view spoiler)
Angie Fehl
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Edited by Charlaine Harris of Sookie Stackhouse series fame, along with co-editor Toni L.P. Kelner (they've previously collaborated on similar anthologies), these short stories are crafted by some of the biggest names in the supernatural / fantasy / sci-fi genres. Oh, and speaking of Sookie Stackhouse by the way, Harris includes a story featuring her into this mix.

Here, the stories are given a sports-themed twist just to keep things interesting. That's the concept anyway. After my reading experi
Brad
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
My scores average out to 3.5 stars, and I choose to round up today. It's a good anthology, better than some of the the other recent ones I've read. Most of the stories were entertaining and fit the theme well, but a couple were duds (for me). I'll be adding some of these authors to my queue, and I'd be willing to read another anthology put together by these editors.

------------

IN THE BLUE HEREAFTER (2/5) - Charlaine Harris
Not for me. A story from Harris's Sookie Stackhouse world (which I haven't
Shannon Roland
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an anthology of game-based tales with a supernatural twist. The authors featured in this book are Jan Burke, Dana Cameron, Adam-Troy Castro, Brendan DuBois, Charlaine Harris, Toni L. P. Kelner, Caitlin Kitteredge, William Kent Krueger, Ellen Kushner, Mercedes Lackey, Joe R. Lansdale, Laura Lippman, Seanan McGuire, Brandon Sanderson, and Scott Sigler
I’m a fan of Charlaine Harris and that’s why I got this anthology. Most of the stories were pretty good, but my biggest issue was that most
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Press Start to Play
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Shadowed Souls
  • Blocked (InCryptid, #2.1)
  • Fantastic Hope
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Strange Brew
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #5.1; Undead, #2.5; Mageverse, #1.5)
  • Haints and Hobwebs (Elemental Assassin, #4.7)
See top shelves…
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

InCryptid (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Price Family Field Guide (Incryptid)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)