Start by marking “Athena's Ordeal (The Haberdashers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Athena's Ordeal (The Haberdashers, #2)

Athena's Ordeal

(The Haberdashers #2)

The Duke of Beloin mistakes a Viscount’s daughter for a fallen woman, an error he can hardly afford while trying to divine which of his enemies is blackmailing him.

Sabrina “Sabre” Bittlesworth has practiced the sword since she was eight years old. When a mysterious visitor in her brother’s house offers to make her his mistress, she challenges him to a duel, even after she
Published August 31st 2013 by Graythorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Athena's Ordeal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Athena's Ordeal

Start your review of Athena's Ordeal (The Haberdashers, #2)
Dawn
++SPOILERS++

Well, this was not what I expected.

I am no historian, and I am usually most forgiving and tolerant when it comes to historical accuracy, but this was too much of a stretch even for me.

I'll try to be brief.

My issues with this book are many. But like other reviewers have said.. the total lack of propriety of the heroine and her brother were completely unrealistic and left me wondering why the author even bothered making this a historical read.

That said, I also found the characters flat
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice read

Sue London does an excellent job of writing.
Wonderful characters, H/h, friends, family and villains. Some danger, levity, and of course love and HEA.
Amanda Ryan-Romo
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I very much enjoyed "Trials of Artemis." I knew going in that this book was much darker, but I was still prepared to like it based on enjoying Sue London's craftsmanship in character development.

I did not. It was too dark, and it was too unbelievable on a number of levels.

First, I didn't care for the characters. What sort of duke lies around all day and doesn't do anything about his estates? He was a major depressive. In "Trials of Artemis," Quince was somewhat plugged as Gideon's match in Parli
Tracy DeNeal
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quince and Sable

A mention on OSRBC sent me one-clicking away to read this story. I enjoyed it and I believe that I will move forward with reading the entire series.
Marianna
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Read this and other reviews at A Lust For Reading. I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Sabrina "Sabre" Bittlesworth is easily the leader of The Haberdashers trio. She may be petite and beautiful, but she is also extremely outspoken and can wield a sword better than most men. Quincy "Quince" Telford, Duke of Beloin, a fairly level headed man who is not driven by his baser desires. But when his eyes fall on the lovely Sabrina while visiting her older brother, he mistakes her for som
Nessa
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
THIS STORY STARTED OUT WITH A GREAT TENSION BETWEEN THE CHARACTERS UNTIL IT SIZZLES THEN BEGIN TO MELLOW OUT INTO THE MYSTERY.

OUR HERO is a Duke who has been receiving threats from some unseen member of his father's old cult group yet not unknown. There are a few distinct members in the group and one of them is also the heroine's father, thus the reason why Quince vows never to make her his bride despite the attraction. I love how they met, so sudden yet so magnetic despite his offense towards h
Julie
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Athena's Ordeal ( Haberdasher's #2 ) by Sue London is a 2013 Graythorn publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
In book one of this series we were introduced to Sabrina- aka- Sabre. Jack and Sabre are part of a trio of childhood friends that are now tried and true bluestockings. If you thought Jack went against the grain, wait until you meet Sabre. Also in book one we met Quince, who was Gideon's friend. Quince makes a call to Robert, Sabre's brother, and
Sandra G. Coffey
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good Read!

This book is indeed a good read, except my only problem with it was it was too long. As good as it was, I am not interested in reading the others because the author may have dragged them out as well.
Judy Youn
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the series! Great independent women!
Farrah
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A good read. Athena's Ordeal was an enjoyable historical romance. I had high expectation for it, since I liked book 1 so much. It didn't quite meet them all, but I still enjoyed the book.

I'm going to start with the good, since the bad are several minor problems that became a major one when put together.

I liked how Sabre was so bold. Normally, impulsiveness in a character would annoy me because it results in the character getting him/herself in a stupid situation. But, in this case, it worked for
Jael Harney
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing

I am at a loss for words. This book is a magnificent read. It's the best of all the worlds, comedy, adventure, romance,suspense,oh my sex. What can I say I simply love this book.
Earms
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Action packed

Enjoyed reading this book. There was never a dull moment. The only thing was that the threat was to easily neutralized. But over all a good read.
Elizabeth Sintes
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Athena's Ordeal

Yes, this novel was seriously a crazy mixed up story. The Arthur really knows how good keep you guessing what will be happening next. Yes it is a story that I would recommend some readers but not my children.
Linda Gildner
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fierce , strong

This is the book to read if you like stories of women who go after what they want and men who do the same. Can't wait to read the next book in this series by Sue London.
Evelyn Derenzy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrific!

Enjoyed the suspense of the characters as they interacted with each other and the ton. The romance that is portrayed is fun.
AnnMarie
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Athena's Ordeal is book two in the Haberdashers series by Sue London. It's easily read as a stand alone novel, but if you have read the previous book you will already know some of the characters and it's nice to hear more about them in this book.

The story this time is about Sabrina Bittlesworth, also known as Sabre. That's the name given to her when she was a young girl and joined with 3 of her friends to make the Haberdashers club. It's a perfect name for her because not only is it similar to h
Margaret Fisk
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

I chose this book out of my digital to-be-read pile on a whim, looking for something light and quick. Well, it was neither, but Athena’s Ordeal was exactly what I needed. Some intrigue, lovely character clashes, and a mix of rejecting the rules of the time and having to conform to them.

Sue London provides delightful, strong characters with very different natures who manage to work together despite their differences. Sabre and her duke are a lovely coupl
Cruth
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Author: Sue London
First published: 2013
Length: 74 pages, 4788 locations
Setting: London and just outside, 1815
Sex: reasonably explicit but not frequent. First (and second) times unsatisfactory. (view spoiler)
Includes: Excerpt from Fates For Apate by Sue London.

The second book by this author and while she is obviously refining her craft, she hasn't made it there just yet.

London has some clever, interesting concepts mixed with a very beta Hero and strong (supposedly
Kate
Sep 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Tami
Mar 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 20%: Unfortunately much less appealing than the first installment.

Sabre is not a good regency heroine, if you like your romance with a bit of realism.

Sorry, but wandering around unaccompanied in an unmarried gentleman's house in a revealing red gown (in the morning!) and speaking to an unknown gentleman without introduction is not at all de rigeur. That he thought her not a lady was pretty understandable.

And then she insists on a duel to recover her honor. Also not done in regency Engla
Judy
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Athena’s Ordeal by Sue London
Haberdashers Series Book Two
Lady Sabrina Bittlesworth or better known as Sabre to her Haberdasher sisters, always gets what she wants. And she wants a certain duke. After defending her honor after he questions it, she is so impressed with his fighting skills, she decides she will have him...one way or another.

Quincy Telford, Duke of Beloin, is nothing like his friend Gideon. Rather than womanizing he’d prefer to have peace and quiet. To be alone. Until he sees her, S
Tracy Emro
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I honestly didn't think that Sue London could outdo the first book Trials of Artemis, but I am happy to be proven wrong! I LOVED this book!

Quince and Sabre are a wonderful couple, the chemistry between them was amazing. They were a wonderful balance for each other and other than Quince's initial and adamant refusal to marry her, I thought he was the perfect hero, seriously PERFECT!

The mystery concerning their fathers was a bit vague and I am not sure if that storyline is finished or if it is g
Diane Lang
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in Sue London's Haberdashers series and perhaps even better than the first one, "Trials of Artemis". There is a darker element that emerges involving the fathers of Sabre and Quince who were part of a Hellfire type club. We meet Sabre's brothers, Robert and Charlie, this time too. Jack, Gideon and other characters from the first book are part of this one, much to my delight.

If you haven't read "Trials of Artemis", I recommend doing so before reading "Athena's Ordeal". Th
Kvkeith laurie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With the second book of the Haberdasher series, I once again lost sleep. I had pre-ordered the book and when it appeared on my Kindle, I started reading and remembered why I had pre-ordered it...immediately after finishing the first one. Sabre, one of the trio of intrepid women friends, is even more fun than Jack (in the previous book). She lets nothing stand in her way and wields her wit as well as she does her ...well...saber. Quince, the duke she spars with, has layers and layers to discover ...more
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Stunned. Nothing in the first book of this series suggested that the author was so crassly ignorant of the period about which she is writing that she imagines a young, unmarried noblewoman could pay a call on a bachelor. As for first appearing in the bedroom and then moving herself into the house of a man who hates her father and wants nothing to do with her, or taking over the housekeeping when the housekeeper goes on vacation... it just boggles the mind.

I've given it two stars since it's not
Vikki Vaught
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent book. I fell in love with Quince and don't understand why some of the other reviewers didn't like him. I enjoy reading books with beta heroes. Mary Balogh has several novels with them as well. Not every male is an alpha in real life so why should they be in books. I can't wait to read the next one in this series.
Deanna Stanley
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Wow. What happens when a sexy introvert and an aggressive woman butt heads? Oh, and add in a sinister plot against the guy and a shadowy group only know by code names?

You get this book.

Full of adventure, sexy as hell, and a non-stop good read.
Mary
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such a little gem of a series! Loved the first one (and yes, you really do need to read them in order) but this one was better. Ms. London never leaves any of the characters behind so it makes for a cozy little world.
Maria
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am hooked!

I have to say, I am officially hooked on The Haberdasher. I am now a fan of Sue London. I just hope books do not take too long in coming out. The romance, wit, spiciness and intrigue are wonderful.
Heather
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is WOW! I njoyed learning momre of these two and learned a secret of the dukes . lord Lucifer and his explanation on pleasuring womwn lol these novel was steamy to a degree and i loved it now on to book three
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Last Man in London (Rogues & Gentlemen #9)
  • The Duke's Bride (Regency Brides, #1)
  • The Wager (Lords of Scandal Book 1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • To Dare a Duke (Girls Who Dare, #1)
  • A Lady By Chance (House of Haverstock, #1)
  • A Dangerous Temptation (Dangerous, #1)
  • The Lady's Dangerous Love (The Langley Sisters #6)
  • Her Husband's Harlot (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Borrowed Dreams (Scottish Dreams, #1)
  • Forsaking Hope (Fair Cyprians of London, #2)
  • Reason to Wed (Distinguished Rogues, #7)
  • The Treasure Bride (Gold Coast Brides #1)
  • Tempted by the Viscount (A Shadows and Silk Novel)
  • Silk and Shadows (Silk Trilogy, #1)
  • A Study in Scandal (Scandalous, #3.5)
  • Oath (Lords of Action, #3)
  • Belle of the Ball  (Desperate and Daring, #2)
Best selling author Sue London created the beloved Regency romance series The Haberdashers. If you like your historical romance with a little action, a little humor, and a lot of strong-minded women, then this is the series for you!

Recent reader reactions:
"Sue London is a very gifted writer. I always enjoy reading her books." ~ Annie
"It was so well written, and the storyline is wonderfully thrilli

The Haberdashers (6 books)
  • Trials of Artemis (The Haberdashers, #1)
  • Fates For Apate (The Haberdashers, #3)
  • Saving Persephone (The Haberdashers, #4)
  • Taming Chiron
  • Pheme's Regret (The Haberdashers, #6)