Start by marking “Stella (Stella, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stella (Stella, #1)

Stella

(Stella #1)

Seventeen-year-old Stella Hamilton is the star blazing at the heart of Temperley High. Leader of the maliciously exclusive elite, she is envied and lusted after in equal measure. And in the Hamilton tradition, she is in the final stage of a six-year campaign to achieve her destiny: love with her equally popular male equivalent, and a triumphant election to Head Girl.

Published March 25th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stella, please sign up.

Start your review of Stella (Stella, #1)
Erin
Feb 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
To be brutally honest with you . . . I didn't feel anything for this book. Nothing whatsoever. While the beginning of the book had started off on a good note and I found myself a little intrigued by this book as well, however, as for the rest of the storyline, especially after the first few chapters, let's just say it went down hill from there on out even though I so wished - SO MUCH - that it didn't for me.

But look out of everything I guess, I think the main problem with this book was not the
Chocoholic77
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book started out pretty well, but by the end I was so lost and confused and I had no idea what was going on. :/
Jack
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many have attempted to create a novel that reflect the shallow and brutal popularity contests that can occur within schools. A lot of these attempts fail in comparison to Stella by Helen Eve, which achieves the goal of portraying an everyday school popularity contest, in the form of an election, and what it can lead to mentally and psychologically for the people involved. Was the story ridiculous at times? Yes. But what's a mean girl story without a dash of absurdity?

Helen Eve has taken the
Amber
Dec 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read more of my reviews at www.themilelongbookshelf.com

Hmm...where to begin. The summary is long and detailed enough that I'm just going to jump straight in with what I thought about Stella, and wow, do I have a lot of thoughts on the matter.

Stella started off promisingly with a fresh voice that took me pleasantly by surprise and my first thought was 'This is good!' Sadly, it all went downhill from there and the prologue was honestly the only bit of the book I found myself enjoying.

The language
Kirsti
Mar 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
:/ Two bad books in a row! I have angered the reading gods. I know that's probably normal for most people, but I'm generally a high rater so it kind of sucks. Firstly, all the 'S' names in this book are damn confusing. I thought I had this book sorted and then there was a WTF ending that I admit was hinted at twice, but just felt confusing. Also, all the characters seemed to swap personalities like clothes. They are all essentially the same character with different nams, and this was partly a ...more
Pamela Todd
Stella Hamilton is the star of Temperley High School. Literally. She is the leader of an elite group of Stars who rule the school and set the standard for all other girls and is in the final stage of her campaign of supreme reign: love with her male counterpart and win position of Head Girl.

Caitlin Clarke is the new girl at Temperley and has a lived a quiet life compared to Stella. After her parents separation, she travelled with her father from New York to England to attend school and had to
T.E. Shepherd
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew from the very beginning that I was not the target demographic for this, the first novel from Helen Eve. I came across it because Helen is an alumnus of the MA Creative Writing course where I work.

On the face of it, this is a story of girls' adolescence at a public school, but it is more than that. It begins with an epitaph taken from Charles Dickens' Great Expectations that quotes Estella Haversham, and the similarities between that character and this book's lead, Stella Hamilton, are
Unitaga
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stella has everything, or so everyone thinks. She goes to a prestigious boarding school, is extremely beautiful, and is part of an exclusive clique of girls that call themselves the Stars. Caitlins dad decides to send her to boarding school, gets her a personal stylist, and sends her off. Caitlin is from New York and has cute clothes, so Stella deems her a worthy friend. The two become inseparable, but Caitlin starts to morph into a better, smarter, meaner version of Stella. She drops weight, ...more
Emma Pratt
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Leah
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to be honest, Im sitting here having just finished Stella by Helen Eve and Im just sort of wondering what in the WORLD to say. My mind is literally spinning with the events at the end of the novel. I just WHAT. WHAT THE WHAT JUST HAPPENED? Where is a WTF GIF when you need one, and I am not the type to use GIFs in my reviews, but right now? I could use a few. My head literally feels full to bursting with everything that just happened, and makes me SO bloody glad I requested this book on ...more
Jjudyfl
I won this book from Goodreads.
Although it's a fictional story, it's a good look at what goes on in a private school in the UK.
Stella is both beautiful and smart. She's head of the STARS, the most perfectly coiffed, looked up to, admired & envied bunch that ever set designer shoe to school grounds.
Caitlin is a pretty & smart American girl, uprooted by her divorcing father, separated from her younger brother, and plopped down in 6th form (upper high school) with - STELLA.
The whole world
gem
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic YA thriller - think Mean Girls meets Pretty Little Liars with a heck of a lot more venom thrown in!
The dual narrative by Stella and Caitlin was brilliant, it allowed insight into each characters thoughts as things got more and more complicated and heated. Each chapter provides more revelations into Stella's past and Caitlin's developing character and your alliances to characters change consistently.
This is a really dark tale of friendship, romance, obsession and power
blub
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-epub
Wendy
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have just consisted reading the book and my head is whirling like mad.....
G.O.D.
That was unexpected.
The book started off quite well, the theme of an unworldly popular girl and the typical new girl who struggles to fit in. I quite enjoyed the first few chapters. But then I started to lose what Im reading.
First of all Caitlins character has changed so much. At first I felt a bit sorry for her cos of her parents and of her going to a completely new school on the other side of the world. But then
Kristi
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is a tough one to rate. It wasn't necessarily bad, kept my interest and had lots of potential but it just sort of devolved into a muddled mess.
There seemed to be no believable transition for one of the main character's transformation into a meangirl and for the meangirls to become somewhat empathetic. it was never very clear to me precisely what the issue with Stella was.
I'm guessing the author was trying to show some depth of character, but they never delved deep enough into a
Roxie
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
It started out as a pretty good book but as it went along I felt like the plot got drawn out and eventually I just got bored with the book. I feel kind of bad that I couldn't finish but I guess some books just aren't for us but that doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't read it.
Aubrey
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Recommended to Aubrey by: no one
it is a really good book I think you should read it if you like romance, umm, drama big time and or, sex

she falls in love
Melanie Hobbie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
It's British Mean Girls. I thought it was interesting, but the plot lines aren't engaging enough for me to dive into the next book of this series.
Amy
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 STARS
PinkiePie Reads
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The cover should say Mean Girls with a twisted fate! Not Mean Girls just got meaner lol xD♡! This book was very gripping, and sad and beautiful!!! It makes you say out loud: Awww!!! and Omgg no she didn't!!! And No!! They couldn't have!! All while not wanting to stop reading or come to an end of your Temperley High journey♡♡♡!!
Vicki Chicago-Marsh
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All YA readers
This was a fantastic YA book! I totally loved the main character, Stella, & I even loved her clique of friends. The ending was surprising, but I still loved the book! Just ordered the second in the series, Boarding School Girls, & cant wait to start reading it! This author needs to keep them coming!! ...more
Tiffa (The Readers Lair)
Stella is a really fun, interesting and fascinating debut novel that I just couldnt put down. It reminded me very much of an up to date Mean Girls, with a pretty similar storyline although Stella was much, much better! Stella really reflects the bitchiness, cruelty and shallowness of todays society of teenagers well, most of them. I really had no idea what would happen next whilst reading Stella, and even though I kept guessing what was around the next corner, I was never right. There are so ...more
Sara
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
So first things first, Stella is a lot like Mean Girls. I mean a lot. The first half or so is so similar that I was sure the book was going to end with Caitlin breaking up a tiara into tiny pieces and distributing it to a crowd. (Spoiler: Unfortunately, that doesn't happen.) The problem with Stella is that when it finally veers off of its obviously Mean Girls-inspired track, it becomes really boring.

A little background -

Stella is, as she tells us on page two, incredibly beautiful. But not only
Kimmy
(3.5 stars)

(From www.pingwings.ca)

Received from the publisher, for free, in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

From Goodreads:

Heather A
Dec 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I received a copy from Netgalley.

I've mentioned in a few of my previous reviews that rich people problems are a favourites guilty pleasure of mine. This book definitely comes under the category of rich people problems, but I did not enjoy this book much at all. Can't fault the writing or the story telling. The writing was actually pretty good, and even fairly moving in certain parts. The story was compelling enough that I need to finish the whole thing to see what happened in the end.

My problem
Perpetual Red
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Nova Zaiden
Want more reviews, discussions and fun-filled posts? Check out my book blog, Out of Time.

Tagged with "mean girls just got meaner," I failed to see it at all. They were conniving social climbers towards each other but they didn't seem mean. If anything, they were really mellow for "mean girls." - Nova @ Out of Time

Going from the line at the top, I want to try to keep this from ranty. So some background info is that we're met with the Queen Bee, Stella. I actually sort of liked her. Then we meet
Ashleigh
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cant tell you how much Stella surprised me. I absolutely loved it.

Originally posted on my blog Ashleigh Online

Stella is unlike any novel Ive read before. Its haunting, and the way it twists your perceptions of characters is very, very clever. It captivated me completely and I didnt expect to find it so deeply moving. I couldnt put it down and even now I cannot stop thinking about it.

I know that there are people who really didnt enjoy this book, and I think I understand why, but others, like
Matilda Mayfair
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Caitlin Clarke has lived a quietly conformist life in New York City until, with the collapse of her parents marriage, shes sent
Amber Myers
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Read more of my reviews at http://amberleannbookreviews.blogspot...

My Rating
-3/5-
I was lucky enough to win a advanced readers copy of this book.
So Stella is in the point of view of two characters Stella herself and Caitlin. Which I have to say I liked Stella a lot more then I liked Caitlin.

Stella is the blonde popular girl who gets everything she could ever want. Seems perfect right? Well taking a closer look and she really isn't that perfect. Yes most of the school looks up to her and
« previous 1 3 next »

• Envy (Seven Deadly Sins, #2)
  • Scent of Darkness
  • Breathless
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • A Dangerous Fiction: A Mystery
  • Lust (Seven Deadly Sins, #1)
  • Our Little Secret
  • Pretty Sly (Pretty Crooked, #2)
  • Pretty Wanted (Pretty Crooked #3)
  • Love Potion Number 10 (Jana Bibi Adventures #2)
  • The Chocolate Kiss (Amour et Chocolat, #2)
  • Firecracker
  • Wrath (Seven Deadly Sins, #4)
  • Pride (Seven Deadly Sins, #3)
  • Seven Deadly Sins Vol. 3: Sloth; Gluttony; Greed
  • Bitter River  (Bell Elkins #2)
  • Autumn's Kiss (Autumn Falls, #2)
  • Autumn Falls (Autumn Falls, #1)