Start by marking “Strange Sweet Song” as Want to Read:
Strange Sweet Song

Strange Sweet Song

A young soprano enrolls in a remote music academy where nothing, not even her mysterious young vocal coach, is as it seems.

Outside Dunhammond Conservatory, there lies a dark forest. And in the forest, they say, lives a great beast called the Felix. But Sing da Navelli never put much faith in the rumors and myths surrounding the school; music flows in her blood, and she is
Published March 11th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Strange Sweet Song, please sign up.
Mishi The book does not end with them getting married.
YA Novels of 2014
1,558 books — 9,152 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
366 books — 1,501 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Strange Sweet Song
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5
She understands, now, the dangerous, intoxicating quality of a leading role. It is as though she is the worst sort of dictator—callous and terrible and omnipotent. She wears the orchestra like a silk train, perfectly attached. Her voice fills the theater.
Sing da Navelli is a singer, an opera singer. She has a horrible name. She knows she has a horrible name. Please don't hold it against her---or this book. That's what you get when your father is a world-famous conductor and
Kerri
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting and unusual. Sing is a character that intrigued me straight away- the daughter of a famous (dead) opera singer, grappling to escape or maybe embrace her mother's shadow. There's a music school, mysterious woods, a mythological cat-like creature, a mysterious boy. It all came together really well and I was impressed with Adi Rule's writing. I will be reading more books by her for sure.

Possible mild spoiler to follow...

I was confused for a little while, because I didn't pay close eno
Wendy Darling
I like cat-smiles. <3

This is such an odd, lovely little book. The usual magic and mystery at a boarding school, a most unfortunately named heroine, a romance that creeps steadily up on you, and incredibly strange, touching bird/cat POVs! None of it should work, and yet it does. The pacing was a bit uneven, and at times I wished for a bit more from certain scenes, but overall, a really wonderful debut. You might like this if you enjoyed Blythewood.

Kim's review is the one that persuaded me to read
Steysha Kravits
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So Gothic, I loved it! The book is so athmospheric with it`s forests, old buildings and scary creatures lurking in the shadows.
description

And the music! I`m fascinated by how the author describes the musicians - their skills and passions. With music on the background, the romance of Nat and Sing becomes more interesting, more special.
description

For me, this book is unique, I`ve never heard such a story before: about opera music and magic Cats from the Sky called Felix. I loved it from the first page, and the st
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This is one of those wonderfully strange but frustrating reads.

The ones that actually keep you up at night wondering what you just read and leave you scratching your head going. “Huh?”

This has a very definite almost goth feel to it. The atmosphere is dark and strange and very mysterious, almost too much so at times.

I admit, it took me awhile, a long while (about half way through) to truly warm up to this book and that might have something to do with the fact that the jump between Sing, the Felix
♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠
"I think a wish—a real wish—must be for something impossible. Something unthinkable. Otherwise it’s just you looking for an easy way to—to wherever it is you think you want to go."

description

I don't know how else to describe this book beyond the fact that it truly is such a strange, sweet kind of book that reads like a melody and lingers long after you've read it. I've re-read this countless times and every single visitation makes me happy. It's not the greatest story but it is one of the best.

original
Jodi Meadows
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments:
Like an enchanting melody, Adi Rule’s STRANGE SWEET SONG slipped into my soul and colored my thoughts long after the final phrase. This is a tale of true stories, true selves, and true love. I will never be the same.

Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Strange Sweet song is the beautiful story of a young soprano coming to terms with her opera star mother’s death, her famous conductor father’s plans for her, and discovering her own identity amongst the gothic conservatory of Durhammond, where her favourite opera Angelique was inspired and written.

The soprano’s name is Sing, but don’t hold that against her. She knows it’s stupid, we know it’s stupid, the author knows it’s stupid. It is at once a name and a command, a promise of her future, given
Elliot A
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, favorites
As an avid reader, I am always searching for new books to read with unique story lines and interesting characters.

For quite a few months Goodreads kept recommending Strange Sweet Song and after reading the synopsis multiple times over these few months, I finally decided to purchase the book and give it a try.

My hesitation stemmed from the fact that it involved music. I appreciate music just like any other person and my piano lessons are going splendidly; however, my last experience with voice
Shelby
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars
This book was really good for what I thought it was going to be. I have never read any books by Adi Rule before so I was unsure on how her writing style was going to be before a I read this book. I was recommended this book by one of my friends and she really liked it when she read it so I thought I would give it a try. This book I have too say was really different from what I have read before or am reading right now, but I like books that are written different from others because it mak
Kim
3.5

I don't know, man. This book has a wish granting feral space cat. That's pretty awesome.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Lushly gothic and captivating, Strange Sweet Song lures you in and never lets you go.
Dark Faerie Tales
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Strange Sweet Song was a richly imaginative world with beautifully, lyrically written words that captured my attention from page one. Sing’s voice is so strong and introspective.

Opening Sentence: If you had been there that night, the night it happened, you might not have noticed.

The Review:

Sing da Navelli has famous parents in the music world, and she hopes to follow their footsteps and use her enchanting voice to captivate audiences as her moth
Eilonwy
Once upon a time, a composer went walking in the woods and was inspired to write an opera about farmers, a prince, and a mystical wish-granting beast that lives in the forest. A hundred years later, Sing da Navelli, daughter of the late super-soprano Barbara da Navelli and world-famous conductor Ernesto, finds herself enrolled in a conservatory in that same woods and competing for the lead in that same opera -- her very favorite. But there is still a beast that prowls the forest, and a mystery i
Michelle Wrona
DNF @ 75 pages.

First, I'd like to give a shoutout to Lola who also hated this book. We're two black sheep for this book!

This book was horrible. Disgusting, even. I honestly don't want to diss it too much, but I feel like I just have to. I hated this book and it was so unenjoyable that I want to throw the book out of the tallest building in the world.

I got to 75 pages, and then I realized that this book wasn't going to get anywhere because it's just not for me. It was about this girl Sing.

Janet
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the brilliant debut novel, STRANGE SWEET SONG, by Adi Rule. The vibrant book sits at my side now. I’ve been carrying it around with me, reluctant to shelve it. It’s still resonating.
Sing da Navelli has no idea of the dangers she will face when she enters Dunhammond Conservatory of music hidden deep in the forested mountains. She’s there to sing, and hopefully win the lead role in her favorite opera, Angelique. But her true voice only comes alive when she enters the forbidden for
Tara
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ya
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy of this book, and let me tell you, it was incredible. I am someone who has no musical skills and definitely no interest in opera, and still I found myself COMPLETELY sucked in to the world Adi Rule has created--a remote conservatory with a touch of magical stuff going on.

The writing is impeccable on the sentence level--the author really uses all of the senses to make the reader experience the wintry setting and hear the beautiful music being played and
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
This is written in 3rd person present, and I hate that. HATE that.
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness!

This book is phenomenal!
Such a great standalone with magic and intrigue and the perfect blend of love, mystery and personal growth
Karissa
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this book through NetGalley for review. This was a beautiful novel involving music, magic and a dark mystery surrounding the music school that our heroine attends.

Throughout the book we hear from four main POVs. The first is that of Song, a teenage girl whose mother was a famous opera singer. Song is excited to be at this prestigious music school, Dunhammond Conservatory, and desperate to prove herself. Everyone wants her to be a replacement for her mother who died during a perfo
Pili
This was a really beautiful book and with such a different story from everything that I've read before!

This is the story of Sing da Navelli, a young talented soprano singer, daughter of the most famous and talented parents (soprano and orchestra conductor) and that starts in a new prestigious (and mysterious) school for young talents.

The book follows two intertwined plots, at first you won't be sure how the two will be mixed or the relevance of each story in the other, but they are mixed in quit
Jaye
2015: reread... I didn't think it was possible to love this book more, but I do. I am not a re-reader, but I think second time around I enjoyed this book more than the first. It's the writing, the themes, the plot, the romance - it's everything. And what I gave 4 stars in 2014, I give 5 stars this year. I wrote that I experienced a lull the first time, but today I thought, what lull? I can't say enough about it...

*******

2014: This is just pure, beautiful, fairy-tale-esque magical realism at its
Rebecca
This was an odd choice book for me. It was a book that hinted at supernatural happenings but doesn't actually include any of that in the story.

The story actually focuses on a main character, Sing and her selfish need to better her music career while at this musical boarding school. She annoyed me mainly because she feels as though her parental influence will allow her to get ahead in life and comes into the school expecting to be treat like she's on a higher level to anyone else.

There are some
A Bear and a Bee Books
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a little bit gothic and strangely enchanting. I was enjoying the book throughout but it was the last third that captured my heart. This book deals with grief, loss, acceptance and love. When a book gets me to shed tears, I know that the story has fully come to life for me.
JT
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
I hated the main character, but perhaps only because she is a teenager? A privileged whiny teen. Perhaps it’s unfair to rate when I already know I can’t be dealing with fake problems on my books right now.
JennRenee
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it

This was a beautifully written story. The romance was very sweet, the story was fantastical, and the ending was pretty amazing. The pacing lacked a just a tad for me but for the most part it was a very exciting read.

Sing is a singer. Her mother was a famous soprano and her father a famous conductor. She is off to boarding school for musical talent. A very famous music conservatory. The school was once occupied by the author of her favorite opera, the opera her mother had the lead for when she d
Unzila
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review may contain some spoilers!

This book is just Amazing! It is beautifully written. The atmosphere was so dark, magical and realistic with a forest at the base of the mountains and almost a century old school. I really love music in real life, and the musical environment in the book made me love classical music even more.
This book had three main narratives. In the first few chapters, the narrative was about a 'crow'. Then we had our main characters Sing da Navelli, George, and the Felix'

Jessica
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I want to start off this review by saying that I am convinced that Rule’s novel was significantly influenced by Phantom of the Opera. (I actually have an interview with Rule coming up soon on the blog, and I am asking her about it!) Now, I’m unsure of which version she was mostly influenced by, but Gaston LeRoux’s novel has a lot more of the horror factors in it, and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical is centered around the love story.

So I’m inclined to say that the musical interpretation had a littl
Nicole
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, though it's a little strange.

I don't know what it is that made me think the book is a little odd: maybe it's the fact that it's narrated in the present, or that you also get to read the Felix' point of view. But it's probably mostly how the fantasy side fits in the book: somehow I feel that the psichological drama of Sing's life would be enough to have a great book, without the supernatural part. (view spoiler)
Jessie Potts
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, march-2014
I have to admit when I first read the back I was giggling with a heroine named Sing da Navelli, but I ended up really enjoying this YA. The cover is beautiful, and I loved the great beast Felix. Sing is missing something, some kind of depth and … well, something from her voice, and the forest captivates her mind and attention. What really makes this book stand out, though, is the Gothic and slightly dark feel to it. We also get to see the school and forest from Felix's point of view, which reall ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1)
  • To Love and to Loathe (The Regency Vows, #2)
  • Daughter of Sparta (Daughter of Sparta, #1)
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • 進撃の巨人 10 [Shingeki no Kyojin 10] (Attack on Titan, #10)
  • Love★Com, Vol. 1
  • ギヴン 2 [Given 2]
  • ギヴン 4 [Given 4]
  • Siempre será diciembre
  • Moonlight Masquerade (London Encounters, #1)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • ギヴン 5 [Given 5]
  • ギヴン 3 [Given 3]
  • Never Always Sometimes
  • 14 Ways to Die
  • Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace Vol. 2
  • Frostfire (Kanin Chronicles, #1)
  • The Radiant Road
See top shelves…
Adi Rule earned her MFA in writing from the Vermont College of Fine Arts. She is represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.