Start by marking “The Forbidden Lady” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden Lady

The Forbidden Lady

(Historical #1)

Before New York Times bestselling author Kerrelyn Sparks created a world of vampires, there was another world of spies and romance . . .

Virginia Munro could not believe her ears. This bewigged, bejeweled, and bedeviling man was trying to buy her? As if she were some trollop on the Boston docks?

Before she's fully able to give in to her outrage, the fop moves on—and Virginia
Published September 25th 2012 by Avon Impulse (first published June 17th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Forbidden Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forbidden Lady

Anne Boleyn's Ghost
2.5 stars rounded down. Although not devoid of charm or genuinely humorous moments, The Forbidden Lady was a largely lackluster read.

I find myself less interested in historical romance novels that aren't as vibrantly diverse and layered as they are well-researched and well-written. The Forbidden Lady was fine on its face, featuring a romance between Quincy, the illegitimate son of an English Earl and part owner of a shipping company, and Virginia, the "unweddable" North Carolina native and daugh
Lucy Dosch
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bond. James Bond…I mean, Stanton. Quincy Stanton.

This is a wonderful story which takes place just prior to the beginning of the revolutionary war. As tensions build between the colonists and the British Army, Colonist Quincy Stanton goes undercover as a British loyalist to spy on the local aristocrats and British Officers. At the same time trying to keep the beautiful and self-appointed spy Virginia Munro, out of trouble.

This story has the usual great wit and banter as Kerrelyn’s Love at Stake s
Abby
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, romance
Alright! I cry Uncle. Please, just make the insanity STOP!

I bought this book because it was cheap and because of the setting: pre-Revolutionary War Boston. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a non-Regency England setting!

Unfortunately, despite a pivotal point in history, and a chance to really explore the tensions between British and Americans, there's a dingbat heroine traipsing around Boston thinking she's a spy; a total DB of a hero who's idiocy and dimwittedness knows no bounds; an orphaned pl
Tess
Dear Ms. Sparks,
I am so glad you started writing your "Love at Stake" vampire romance novels because this one was not very good. Very little spying, half-hearted romance, and the plot was written much better in "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Quin is an un-convincing fop, and really just too down on himself the whole book. Virginia has some interesting backstory, but not enough to make her a strong character. Plus, I hated how everyone was always rushing off places, or stumbling into the parlor unannou
Linda
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

I loved this book! What an absolute treasure to read over the 4th of July Holliday! Quinn and Virginia both spying for the Colonists but they don't know. Quinn s nasty brother comes from England to try and take everything from him and his Uncle. I fell in love with Quinn from the very beginning. This is a definite must read! 😊
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This one was okay - not the worst I've read, but definitely not the best. There was something missing from the two lovers. There was certainly some palpable sexual tension, but neither Quin nor Virginia were as developed as they could have been. The climax of the novel is a lesson in missed opportunities. I won't say what the context was, but only that there was so much potential for an explosive, pulsating conclusion, but it sort of whimpers out before the action can get really interesting. The ...more
Annika
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no secret that I love historical fiction, but I seem to really really be liking pre-Revolutionary war historical fiction with espionage, pirates, and street urchins, all crawling over the city of Boston. I partly blame Hamilton fandom. LET'S STEAL THEIR CANNONS.

This is just months before the Massacre, the Colonists are frustrated and ready to explode, the redcoats are in upheaval, the ships are taxed left and right and the good pirates can't just smuggle their goods quietly anymore. I also
Julie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was pretty good. I didn't double check the facts, but she did infuse a sense of realism into the story. I thought it seemed like it reflected the attitudes in the country at the time.
Both the romance and the spying were a bit haphazard.
It was a good read for the 4th of July.
Catherine
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story

I enjoyed this book. Virginia & Quincy were so right for each other
I enjoy books coming Revolutionary war.
Good
TinaMarie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While there are Scots in this story it's secondary, lots of historical tidbits, it seemed a bit much sometimes. Likeable story
Renate Williams
I loved this book! Kerrelyn Sparks my 1st book of this author and I was impressed!
Was absolute fun to read Quinn and Virginia both spying for the Colonists not knowing of each other.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Kitty's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

An Historical Romance by Kerrelyn Sparks? Oh, my, yes it was! But, it’s no ordinary. British ton, duke’s and lords, ladies and gents kind of book. This is set in America during the time of Paul Revere, the Boston Tea Party and the British invasion.

Quincy and Virginia were wonderful! The first chapter of the book set the tone for everything that would happen between them. The story starts off with Quincy trying to buy Virginia on a ship that has just saile
Anna

Review posted at Books to Brighten your Mood

The Forbidden Lady is my very first book by Kerrelyn Sparks and believe me when I say that I was impressed! So impressed, that her paranormal series that I've been forever postponing to read, has moved up to my TBR pile.

Since I haven't read the author's paranormal series, Love at Stake, I can't really compare her writing style between the genres, but what I can safely say is that historical romance is definitely a genre she can deliver! I enjoyed every
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

When his livelihood is threatened, the illegitimate son of a British Earl, Quincy Stanton will powder up his wig and become what he despises most to spy on the would be “protectors” sent to take over the colonies.

Set during the pre-Revolutionary War era of 1769, The Forbidden Lady is classic Kerrelyn Sparks storytelling. Fans of her Love at Stake series are already familiar with her terrific writing voice. This is a different side of
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Interested in colonial times? Do the Sons of Liberty with their spies and intrigues interest you? If so this historical romance may be for you. Virginia Munro despises the Red Coats and Tory lovers. Raised in the Colonies, Virginia is a proud patriot. When she runs into Quincy Stanton during her visit to Aunt Mary in Boston, it reaffirms her beliefs. These Loyalist are condescending and rude.

Ms. Sparks is an author I greatly enjoy when it comes to her paranormal romances. It is with regret that
Mary Adams
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was re-released under the title The Forbidden Lady so my review is actually of that version.

First of all, The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my favorite story lines of all times. As a novel it could be a tad tedious, but I think I've watched every movie rendition that was ever made. So when the author says that she modeled The Forbidden Lady after The Scarlet Pimpernel, I admit I am predisposed to like a story.

If you've never read a historical romance this would be a good one to start wit
Vicki  Rose
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kerrelyn Sparks has long been one of my favorite vampire & shifter paranormal authors, with her highly popular "Love At Stake" series & so I jumped at the chance to review her newest historical release, "The Forbidden Lady".. It goes to show that no matter the genre in which the always amazing Ms. Sparks chooses to write, she is a goddess among fiction authors!
We head back into the late 1700's and meet the beautiful, strong-willed, fiery Virginia, who was raised by her fiercely independ
Judy
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forbidden Lady by Kerrelyn Sparks
Quincy Stanton is a Captain of a ship but dire times for the Colonists call him into the world of spying. Acting as a Loyalist he uses his time at their parties to find information on what the British are up to. Quincy knows the dangers he faces and the consequences if he is caught what he didn’t expect was trying to play his part when a beautiful woman enters into the picture.

Virginia Munro and her sister Caroline were spending time in Boston getting to know
~❤️Minnie❤️~
Another brilliant story by our beloved Kerrelyn Sparks.

In this story we have Quincy Stanton, the bastard son of the Earl of Dearlinton (I hope I got that right as I don't have my book in hand right now ^_^). All his life Quin has felt unwanted and tried to make up for it by pleasing his uncle fearing he might abandon him too. After returning from England from an unpleasant stay with his father he is asked by his uncle to pose as a Loyalist in order to spy on them and learned the true reason beh
Debra Johnson
The Forbidden Lady (Historical, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks
An Adult Historical Romance
To find this one on Goodreads go to Kerrelyn Sparks page and click on the book titled For Love or Country in her 'Historical' series. Then click on the 'other editions'. The current title will show up on that list. Click on the one that matches the format you are reading. I don't know why the new title isn't listed on her page properly, but this book is worth reading.
I had a blast reading it. Her world build reall
Rose
Although rather improbable at times, I quite enjoyed this book.

It amused me how it was like those spy movies where the characters are always being given new gadgets- but 1700s style. (Although nowadays, a glow in the dark magnifying glass sounds awfully tacky. Even if it is made out of silver.)

It was quite a bit longer before successful submarines were developed, and the original Turtle failed to actually accomplish anything. But it certainly makes for an interesting story.

I adore heroes with fa
Dharia Scarab
I love this author, and the writing was excellent. An excellent book for those who like the genre.

Unfortunately I read one two many historical romances in my youth and I'm just burned out on them. The way the stories get drawn out with the "villain" out to thwart the hero, in this case the evil half brother, drives me mad.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad I may have giv
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
As many people can tell you I do not read a lot of historical romance. For some reason this is just not a favorite genre of mine. When I saw that Ms. Sparks had written a book that is a historical romance, well I was greatly intrigued. I love Ms. Sparks’ Paranormal Romance books and I just think the world of her writing skills, so I decided to have a go and read The Forbidden Lady. I am so very happy that I did!

This is a very clever romance that takes place during the beginning of the American
Carrie
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, read-2013
I picked this up because I enjoy the author's Love at Stake series and because I enjoy historical romances. The story is set in pre-revolutionary war Boston. It's not a setting I usually read, but I am familiar enough with the time frame and the events around Boston at that time. I am not historian, so I cannot account for complete accuracy, but I felt the the author did a nice job incorporating things into her story.

Neither our hero or heroine will win any awards for my favorite pairing but I e
S. Rutherford
While I often find things to like about each story that I read, seldom do I ever truly find one where the list is endless. More often than not, I found myself applauding Kerrelyn's use of fine detailing throughout this entire book.

Not only had she executed a spectacular job of using descriptive words, she'd done it without going overboard. Her characters were quite believable, their actions and thoughts spoke louder than words, and not only did I giggle at various segments that I am sure she mea
Melanie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read this author before but I did hear about her and when the opportunity struck for me to sample her with her début book, I took it. Now that I'm done with the book, I can only say...HOLY COW! If all of her books are half as good as this one, I have misd on some great writing.

Originally published by Forge Books in 2002 under the title of `For Love or Country' this book is now offered to us through HarperCollins Publishers and I have no doubt finding new fans all over the world.

The ab
Juuli
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I read the series (if I can say it like that - there are only 2 books published so far) out of order. I started with Caroline's story Less Than a Gentleman and was very excited when I realized that Virginia had a book, too.
I like this story but the second book is better.
The background was great and all the historical details were amazing to read, however the characters felt out of place ... well, they weren't very good spies and there wasn't much spying in this story. And although the beginnin
Shelley
Very good historical romance!!! Gotta love a pirate! I haven't read a Kerrelyn Sparks book that was a historical romance before, I'm a huge fan of her Love At Stake vampire series and have been for yrs. I saw this on sale and thoughtful try it. I'm so glad I did. As with her paranormal romance books, this book had humor to it. I think that's one thing I really enjoy about her paranormal romances. As with those, she did an excellent job with this. Throw in the revolutionary war and spying, you ha ...more
K
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
I wasn't quite sure of this book initially, as normally I am not drawn to stories set in the Revolutionary Era and/or this part of history. However, as I tend to like historical romance, and am a huge fan of the author's paranormal romance Love at Stake series, I figured "why not". And suprisingly, I found the story an enjoyable read overall w/ lots of action, suspense, and humor. I couldn't stop laughing at the misunderstandings and situations Quin and Virginia found themselves in. I also liked ...more
Arshia
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There aren't that many well-written revolutionary novels out there. This was one of my favorites. As always Kerrelyn brings a bit of spunk and hilarity to her readers. When Quin and Ginny meet for the first time sparks fly immediately. She doesn't like him because he tries to buy her; however, she is intrigued by the man dressed like a baffoon. There is something that doesn't quite add up about Quincy Stanton. Later she figures out that they are working for the same cause. I hope Kerrelyn writes ...more

• Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #2.5)
  • The Spy Wore Blue (Lord and Lady Spy, #1.5)
  • Sugarplums and Scandal  (Love at Stake #2.5; Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #22.5)
  • His Very Own Girl
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #3)
  • The Macgregor's Daughter
  • The Seduction (Georgian, #1)
  • Lead & Follow (Club Devant Book 1)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • Immortal Trust (The Curse of the Templars, #3)
  • Sin and Scandal in England (Charmed and Dangerous, #2)
  • Tempted by Trouble
  • A Lady's Secret Weapon (Nexus, #3)
  • Her Ladyship's Companion (Spymasters, #0.5)
Kerrelyn Sparks apparently has issues with reality. After writing more than a dozen books about vampires, she has now completely gone off the deep end and wound up on another planet. But how thrilling that she can share this magical new world with her readers! Although she is best known (so far) for the Love at Stake series, which has hit as high as number 5 on the New York Times list and 22 on th ...more

Historical (2 books)
  • Less Than a Gentleman (Historical #2)
“C’est la vie, chérie.” 0 likes