Start by marking “Tales From The SFR Brigade” as Want to Read:
Tales From The SFR Brigade

Tales From The SFR Brigade

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Experience love and adventure among the stars in ‘Tales from the SFR Brigade,’ a free digital anthology of eight Science Fiction Romance stories.

• A space captain discovers the cyborg she loves just might be her greatest enemy.
• A mind-wiped prostitute risks all when she recruits a dangerous stranger to help her escape a terrible fate.
• A prisoner-of-war confronts the c
Published June 23rd 2013 by The Science Fiction Romance Brigade

To ask other readers questions about Tales From The SFR Brigade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales From The SFR Brigade

Sophia
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being a Sci-Fi Romance lover like I am, I was salivating for the opportunity to read a sampling of so many 'new to me' authors in the genre. Usually with a short story anthology it is a bit hit or miss and I was prepared for this contingency, but holy guacamole!!! They were all big hits with me and I will most assuredly be hunting down more of these author's efforts.

As I started reading, I encountered the forward letter explaining the way this anthology came about. It's a nice little story of it
J. Kevin
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting idea, mixing sci-fi (often thought of as a "guy" genre, especially the kind of swashbuckling space opera seen here) with the quintessential "chick lit" of romance. For the most part, the combination works out well, with plenty of action and suspense to go with the hearts and flowers. It's light sci-fi to be sure -- more Star Trek than William Gibson -- but fans of both genres should find plenty here to satisfy.

The other interesting tension at play here is the obvious desire t
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
The SFR Brigade Mid-Summer Blog Hop just ended and as it did SFR Brigade published their first book of short stories titled Tales from the SFR Brigade. This is a free ebook. I downloaded and read immediately and loved every story.

World building: These are short stories so there is not a lot of time to world build. In spite of that each author manages to include just the right amount of information about the world their readers need. All are stand alone with the exception of Linnea Sinclair’s sto
J.C.
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sfr
excellent collection, with several outstanding stories inside.
Celestine
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There was a lot of punch packed into this well-edited and well-done collection. I enjoyed each and every one of the stories and will look into purchasing other titles from some of the authors.

"Imprint" by Pippa Jay was one of my favorite stories in the collection. The first three sentences of the first three paragraphs had me totally hooked. The cat and mouse shenanigans of Tevik and Jiona drove the first part of the story, but Jay did a terrific job of building romance and heat - even in their
Pippa Jay
In the interest of full disclosure - I have a story in this anthology. My review and rating is based solely on the other seven stories in the collection, and NOT my opinion of my own.

Allure - I had the privilege of beta reading this before it was even submitted, and it still had me swallowing tears after the first couple of pages. Short and achingly sweet. If you aren't sniffling by the end you have no heart.

Nobody's Present - normally I don't go for the Mars needs women type story - one of my l
Liana Brooks
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
DISCLAIMER: I'm on of the authors so this review is for the other stories in the anthology.

Imprint - I beta read this story and loved it. It's an enemies-to-lovers story that was a perfect way to kick off the anthology.

Allure - I beta read this one too, Amy's my twin after all. It's her first real foray into SFR and she knocked it out of the park with a story about love and what matters most.

Nobody's Present - Sassy female in a contemporary SFR. Fans of Gini Kochi's TOUCHED BY AN ALIEN series w
Tanya
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
A neat collection of 8 quality SFR short stories written by the authors from SFR Brigade. I'm quite new to the SFR genre and had never read any SFR novel before until I found this book via a friend's blog. After reading this anthology, I was totally fascinated by the creative and unique elements in these stories.

Among these stories, my favorites are 'Mission: Nam Selan' by Linnea Sinclair, 'Allure' by Amy Laurens, 'The Stranger' by Kyndra Hatch, and 'Whiskey and Starshine' by Erica Hayes. Tight
Robyn
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Part of me wants to shout, "People, there is a free Linnea Sinclair Games of Command short story here, 'nuff said!" Because there is! How can you argue with free furzels? You can't.

But, aside from furzel awesomeness, this anthology features a variety of sci-fi romance stories. There's action, aliens, explosions, drama, laser gunfights, space battles--all of my favorite things. I really enjoyed it. (It's also kind of brilliant marketing from an author perspective. I know my TBR list grew after fi
Laurel
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before I start, I should note that I edited four of the stories in this book as part of the production process.

As a reader, I can, however, comment on the stories. All I can say is, I loved each one of them. This is a fantastic collection of SFR stories from a varied group of writers. Each story is unique, with it's own concept of what constitutes SFR. From beginning to end, one is taken on an emotional journey through the highs and lows of relationships in other times and places. Great stuff!
T.K. Toppin
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful assortment of yummy morsels! Eight amazing shorts stories from eight amazing SFR writers, dishing out tantalizing samplers to whet the appetite. I thoroughly enjoyed each story, and wished these teasers would blossom into full length novels. Each writer's distinctive style shouts out, and their imagination and creativity into moulding a story with few words is brilliant. Some of the writer's I am familiar with, others, I will most definitely be seeking out and reading their stu ...more
Jess Mahler
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up yesterday when I was looking for some fun and relaxing reading. Like all anthologies, the stories varied, but overall I was delighted. Out of 8 stories, three would have gotten 5 stars as stand alones, most of the rest were enjoyable reads that I would recommend to fans of the genre. There was one story I couldn't finish - the MC annoyed me too much. The writing and story itself were fine, so I expect most readers would enjoy it.

I'll be looking for more from these authors,
Marva
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't disappointed in a single story in this anthology. Kudos to the SFR Brigade writers.
Michael
This is a strong collection of science fiction romance short stories by authors that are part of a collective, called the "SFR Brigade", established in 2010. Although there were occasional misses in the collection, overall I was very impressed with the quality and engagement of these stories; I tend to rate anthologies 3 stars because of the ups and downs, but this was such a strong collection I'm rating it 4 stars.

I didn't rate any of the stories 5 stars, and I think that is a combination of a
Gerd
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
In general I have to say, that not only for a free publication this anthology is of remarkable quality. Out of the collected stories there’s only one that felt superfluous to me, as it didn’t add anything new to it, and due to it’s short length never build up to a whole story, making it seem more like filler.

For the rest of the stories goes, that the writing is good to excellent, and that if I was more of a fan of traditional romance I would give a higher rating overall. As it stands, some of th
Allie Ritch
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read! This book was every bit as good as the anthologies you pay good money for from Berkley and the other big NY publishers. I learned about it from Pippa Jay, who is in my SFR group, and got even more excited when I saw Linnea Sinclair had a story in here. This isn't the type of anthology where the headliner is leagues better than the rest, though. No, they were all consistently high quality, fantastic reads. There was only one story in it that I didn't care for, and that was probably j ...more
Glinda Harrison
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This anthology is a fun romp through sci-fi romance. I will be looking for more of these authors' works. And, I MUST HAVE A FURZEL!
Elle
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This ebook freebie is a wonderful collection of science fiction romance short stories. If you’ve never read a sci-fi romance and was curious about the genre, pick up this anthology. Although a few of the stories felt that they lacked a real conflict and resolution, most of these stories were wonderful. There is a wide variety of sci-fi subgenres in here including some steampunk.
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A generally good collection, where the SF was integral to most stories. That's high praise from me, because what really really annoys me in this genre is a generic story where it reads like the author has thought "Oh, I'll set it on a spaceship, then I can call it SFR".

Though I have to deduct a gazillion stars from the author who wrote (in her 'about the author/about this story' section) "Envy's Revenge came about after I read a news story of a new virus that evolved from relatively innocuous ba
Mara
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies, futuristic
Wildly varying in both length and quality, Tales from the SFR brigade never reached the potential its authors promised.

Overall there's not a single story that's really good, even those from authors I usually enjoy. Many were weak, too short for the story they packed, or baffling. A few were particularly bad in my mind.

It's free, so that frees you from the burden of deciding whether or not to buy. Grab it and make your own mind.:)
Corinne
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-sci-fi
Disclaimer: I am a proud, card-carrying member of the SFR Brigade, however, I did not take part in any stage of the creation of this anthology and am reading each story for the first time. The five-stars were, in my opinion, earned by this anthology and I would have given this anthology 5 stars regardless of its connection to the SFR Brigade group. We are a group of like-genre writers who openly support and critique one another.

Review: - 5 Stars

This is a collection of works by many talented Scie
F.P.
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed several of the stories in this, especially the Linnea Sinclair story because I like the Kel-Paten and Sebastian characters a lot. I hope there are more collections like this.
Cassey
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection quite a bit. Six of the eight were a win for me.
Barbara Strickland
Thoroughly enjoyable

What a great way to find new authors and try a different genre. All the stories were entertaining and I have found some new writers to follow for future reading. Well worth the effort.
Melissa J. Katano
I love short story collections....even if I don't like Story A, I'm pretty sure to like at least one of the others....

I bought this collection because two authors I really like (Linnea Sinclair and Marcella Burnard) have stories in this collection.....and I LOVED their stories!

There were a lot of authors I wasn't as familiar with (but you can bet I'm going to be looking for them now!), but I enjoyed almost all of the stories. Some of them felt like set-ups for other novels/series, so now I have
Damali
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, shorts
Free.

Imprint, 4 stars.
Allure, 3 stars. Way too short. Not much of a story.
Nobody's Present, 3 stars.
Strangers, 4 stars. Would like to learn more about this world.
Mission, 3 stars.
Prime Sensations, 3 stars.
Envy's Revenge, 4 stars. diamond in the rough.
Whiskey and Starshine, 4 stars.

Gena
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alien, sci-fi
Lots of short stories (some very very short :) Some are 3*, some 4* but I enjoyed the majority so rounded up. There are some new ideas here, good chemistry between characters and perfect for when you only have a couple minutes to read.
Jadzia
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, s-f
That was a fun read. Some of the stories were better, some were worse, but all were well-written and quick to read. This book is a reminder for those of us who enjoy SFR of just what can be there to enjoy.
M.A. Grant
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sfr
Great anthology. Wide variety of stories, great ideas, and lovely writing.
Lisa
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good short stories

This book is good. Lots of different authors and styles. You get a chance to check out new to you authors. And the stories were excellent!
Sci-Fi Romance: Free Anthology: Tales from the SFR Brigade is Out 17 43 Jul 10, 2013 06:52AM
  • Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4)
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • Hotter on the Edge (Hotter on the Edge #1)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Greenshift (From the World of Ambasadora)
  • Caught in Amber
  • Celestial Seduction (1Night Stand, #17)
  • When Dark Falls
  • The Mammoth Book of Futuristic Romance
  • Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
  • My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)
  • Her Cyborg Awakes (Diaspora Worlds, #1)
  • The Iron Admiral: Conspiracy (Ptorix Empire, #1)
  • Jaq's Harp (Future Tales, #1)
  • Even Villains Fall In Love (Heroes and Villains, #1)
  • The Pirate Captain's Daughter (Mandrake Company, #5.5)
  • Stranded with the Cyborg (Cy-Ops Sci-fi Romance, #1)
  • In the Devil's Nebula (The Phoenix Adventures, #2)
JC Cassels, a native of Tampa, Florida, traces her lifelong fascination with SF/Adventure to watching Star Trek on a tiny black and white portable television aboard the family boat as a child. The Space Opera trend that followed the release of Star Wars fed an obsessive need for swashbuckling adventure set in deep space. Today, JC feeds that need by writing her own adventures, heavily inspired by ...more
More about J.C. Cassels

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
  • Wildfire In His Arms
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)