Start by marking “House of Steel (Unraveled, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Steel (Unraveled, #1)

House of Steel

(Unraveled #1)

Life has a way of coming undone. One single moment can set the undoing in motion, unraveling our neat, tiny stitch of life. For young art professor Delaney Jones, the treacherous spiral begins when she makes one unforgivable mistake - she sleeps with her student. Her silent Wisconsin winter turns deadly after she witnesses the brutal murder of a man she had fought hard to ...more
Published June 23rd 2013 by Raen Smith Publishing

To ask other readers questions about House of Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Steel

Alizon
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cd_authors
I could go on continuously about what I loved about this book, however I'm not a fan of spoilers and I don't think I'd be able to do it without them. Therefore, I'll leave just that the intrigue alone kept me flipping the pages of this book! There were also things that I absolutely did not see coming. I can't wait for the next book!
Kimberly
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-bookshelf
When I was first approached to review this novel for the author I knew it was going to be a book I really enjoyed and I was 100% correct. House of Steel was one of those books that just blew me away with the writing and since I loved it so much I am going to be intentionally vague and avoid any spoilers in my review.

House of Steel is a wonderful thriller, and I'm glad to see a woman writing in a genre that while it has some great stand out female authors it is still dominated by men. Raen Smith
Hayley
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, crime, own-digital
This book was confusing from start to finish. Delaney, our main character, was indecisive and generally a bit stupid. A big deal was made out of her traumatic past (she was raped at the age of 14), yet, the line between that event and her future/current behaviours was not very clear or logical. I didn't like her at all and found her a difficult main characters to sympathies with.

The writing style was repetitive, and as it was written in third person there were a lot of times where I was confuse
Diane
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was so lost... The premise was interesting but it was just, I don't know how to describe it. I just wanted to bang my head by the end cause absolutely nothing was cleared up. I know there is a second and third book, but it would have been nice to just get a morsel of how these people and story lines are connected.
Kristin Campbell
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cd_authors
So loved this book! So suspenseful! There is so much mystery and intrigue and a lot of "What the hell is going on" moments. I could not put it down!
Connie  Bredernitz
Excellent

Great book. Very good story. Not the usual same story. My pet peeve did raise its ugly head. Very poor proofreading and/or editing. Verbs seemed to pose a major problem. Really looking forward to book 2.
Anny hernandez
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
******** I receive an ARC copy of this book for an honest review ********

Holy smoke this is the first book that i read from this author, and i did not think that i was gone like it at all.
Well think again i love it, and when i say that i love it a mean it, this book is feel with so much suspense, and drama that it’s not even funny. This story had me seating at the edge of my seat, when i started reading this book i did not know what to expect. I love it how you could read it from both point of v
Pamela
I absolutely LOVED "House of Steel." I cannot believe this is Raen Smith's debut novel as it's one of the most intriguing novel of suspense I've come across in quite some time. Checking out novels of the same genre on Amazon I just happened to come "House of Steel" and thought I'd give it a try, and I'm so glad I did as it's an absolute gem. Just a couple of chapters in and that was it, I couldn't let it go. I kept reading to the very end finishing it off in one sitting. I needed to know the "wh ...more
Jessica
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ll admit that it took me a while to get into this book. It was a little slow moving at first as the characters and their situations were introduced. I stuck with it though and I’m glad that I did. Once all of the necessary introductions were out of the way the tension started to mount and continued to build until the story reached it’s thrilling climax. It had mystery, intrigue, twists, turns and plenty of “I don’t know who the heck to trust anymore!” moments. It was well written, well thought ...more
Louise Cable
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a competition, its not the type of book I usually read however I'm always happy to give anything a go!!

It was slow starting for me to get into this and with a few storylines going on at the same time it took some following and I had to stop myself from trying to either jump ahead or guess what was going to happen and just read.

I'm so glad I did, the further into the book I got the more I enjoyed it and when it all came together well I had an inkling what it was and I was parti
Joelle
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was chosen/voted upon on my online facebook book club that I admin. It was also free on amazon.com which was a plus. However, I could not get into this book. The beginning was very slow to start. While about halfway through the pace picked up, I still could not stay interested. I did enjoy the characters, however one person can only take so much turmoil and heartache. I am really disappointed because I wanted to like this book, but it just wasnt for me. However, that doesnt mean other ...more
Becky
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
House of Steel was hard to get into at first, it just started off slow. However, it didn't take too long to pull me in. It was a enjoyably confusing. There were characters you hated (like Gunner) and ones you were hoping would make it. I was constantly trying to figure out everyone's secrets and motives which there seems to be many. Especially Holston's. I did guess correctly regarding V and Delaney's connection. There is still so much to figure out and more characters entering that I want to kn ...more
Michelle
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found it very difficult to put down. I was so intrigued by the suspense and just wanted to find out what was going to happen next.

That being said... I found many parts of this book very confusing. I sometimes got lost in the train of thought of the characters and it didn't always seem consistent. And as others have pointed out, not a lot was cleared up in the end. I'm excited to see how the next two books go.
Alisa Allen
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book five stars as the story really captivated me to read and not sleep or eat or tend to housework. What i most enjoyed was the developement of each character and as the story went on how each character was center to ther story and related in one way or another to each other. Whether it was friendships that were years old, to blood relationship, or a working relationship, or a love relationship. I immediately read book 2 House of Fire and it was equally as good.
Marlene
Just started reading this book and am already irritated with the grammar. The first time could be a mistake, but there are two places within the first few pages where the word "passed" was used instead of "past".
Example: "The penetrating gaze looked passed the couple embracing ..."

I'm looking forward to reading the story, but glaring mistakes like these, like ads in the middle of a movie, can be very annoying.
Jen
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-have
4-4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. It's like a puzzle. All the pieces were laid out and gradually put together piece by piece. I liked how stuff you wanted to know right away was revealed yet there was still enough mystery to keep you intrigued. I hate how some books keep everything hidden until the end. There is still a lot to this story that books 2 & 3 will reveal. But for now I'm content and loved how it's all coming together. This is written well.
Lexie Miller
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ereader-news
A little bit of mystery a little bit of scandal oh and murder! Not everyone is perfect but when the Delaney has a one night stand with a student and private calls with certain gentleman it makes for one sticky situation. It is nice to see the secrets of the families come spilling out and you start rooting for one of the main characters V to put it all together and solve why this is happening. Fun and catchy read that is set up perfectly for the sequel.
Reading Write
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Iva Readit for Kota's Book Kollection

"The dialogue is brilliant and captures each character flawlessly which really brings each scene contained within the story to life. The plot is riveting with twists and turns, which at times are predictable, but at other times not so much, that it gives it a more realistic and believable storyline." - Iva

For full review Visit

Kathy Rice
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book.... My book club votes to read this book for our December book. I finished in one day.... I won't go into too many details, I don't want to spoil it for my book clubbers. But the constant mystery that surrounds Delaney, following her every move and knowing all about her past and present! The suspense is well..... Suspenseful! I MUST READ! Can't wait for book 2!
Binku
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, own
The books was actually to start and buck up the story and with a few storylines going on at the same time it took some following and I had to stop myself from trying to either jump ahead or guess what was going to happen and just read.

Glad I finally made it, it was well written and pilot I have read recently.
Kelly Mccurdy
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book was hard for me to get started. But once I did get it started, I loved it. There were some slow parts in it, and a ton of inner dialogue. After you get past the inner dialogue, then the story really moved. There are twists and turns in the book that you don't see coming until they are right in front of your face. Raen writes beautifully and I can't wait to read more of her work!!
bill robinson
Lousy ending

Good story and lots of twists and turns but the end made no sense at all. To write a book with an expectation that the reader buy the next installment to find out where the story goes does not set well with me. I want know how it turns out because I want be buying the next book.
Bobbi Jo
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! It is so suspenseful and full of crazy twists! First book I read in awhile that I wanted to just keep reading to see what happened next! And this is a local author too! How exciting is that!? Cannot wait for book 2!
Cathi
May 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I couldn't finish this. This book made no sense at all. The editing was nonexistent. I think the author never made it past 9th grade. I got this free on kindle, it wasn't worth what I paid for it. Don't read this book.
Wendy
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Omg. Amazing book. It would be five stars if it wasn't for the fact it needs another edit. the constant misuse of passed & past five me crazy. I immediately dug into book two. I would definitely recommend this book, despite the errors.
torque
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite all the action and intrigue in the book, I couldn't get into it. To me it feels there was no story here to tell. I still might read the sequel though.
Jenn
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I enjoyed this novel and all the twists and turns I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the unraveled series. I would recommend this book.
Dan
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book the author kept me entertained through out the book
Cindi
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The twists and turns never stop coming. Suspenseful. This book will keep you on your toes.
Anne Smith
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was entertaining and had some suspense. I liked it and will someday read the sequel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
CJ Lyons Thriller...: FREE House of Steel: 8/13-8/14 6 28 Aug 14, 2013 12:51PM
  • God's Memory (God's Memory, #1)
  • Tragic Love (Sulfur Heights, #2)
  • Crossing Paths
  • Tortured Memory (Brier Hospital #4)
  • Twisted Arrangement (Twisted, #1)
  • Chances Aren't
  • Tobacco Sticks
  • The Dante Chamber
  • With Full Malice
  • The Doctor
  • Sadie's Mountain (Montani Semper Liberi , #1)
  • Deadline
  • Rebel Walking Box Set: In a Heartbeat, Heaven Sent, Banded Together (Rebel Walking #1-2.5)
  • Haunted Love
  • Let It Go
  • Forever Kind of Guy
  • See No Evil (Shingle Beach, #1)
  • Beyond All Boundaries
Raen Smith is the author of the Unraveled Series and Southbound Surrender. She loves writing about complex characters with a sprinkling of happily ever after.

When she isn't writing novels, she spends her time wrangling two small sons and teaching at a technical college. She lives in a small corner of Wisconsin with her husband and two sons.

Visit Raen Smith's website, Facebook page or follow Raen

Unraveled (3 books)
  • House of Fire (Unraveled, #2)
  • House of V (Unraveled Series #3)