Start by marking “Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others” as Want to Read:
Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others

Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others

Crashing the chatterbox = Overpowering lies of insecurity, fear, condemnation, and discouragement with the promises of God.

“I used to think that someone who struggled with the kinds of weaknesses I deal with daily was useless to God. I felt so often like I was drowning in internal dialogue I couldn’t control. It had been the soundtrack of my life for as long as I could re
Published February 11th 2014 by Multnomah (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Crash the Chatterbox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crash the Chatterbox

Start your review of Crash the Chatterbox: Hearing God's Voice Above All Others
Savannah
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2014
I've been going to Elevation for six weeks now and the only problem I have is the lack of access to the pastor. I can't speak for everyone, and I don't know what the protocol or policy is. All I'm saying is I've never been to a church this big and I'm not used to not having direct access to the man behind the podium. It's weird, but the church does a great job of making the campuses and extension sites feel connected. This book solved a bit of that problem for me. I'll get to the content in a bi ...more
Shannon (leaninglights)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is life changing. If you don’t have Pastor Steven Furtick in your life, I highly recommend you start. I needed this so much right now and this book is a book about God and faith that’s relatable, real and not put on in any way. I will be going through and annotating it to death. So good!
Joan
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think Furtick has provided us with a good strategy to drown out the lies of the Enemy that shout out from our mind. The truth from the Word of God is the only answer and Furtick gives us several areas where we need to concentrate in biblical truth. He is very honest in this book, telling lots of stories on himself. I think every Christian would benefit from reading this book. Se my full review at http://bit.ly/1hSSpMr. ...more
Eddie Williams
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this one for what it is....

When I review, I try to understand what the book was intended for and judge it based on that. Steven Furtick is a solid motivator and I look to his messages for encouragement often.

So when I picked this one up, I expected to get the same genre of content from him, and he delivered.

Pastor Steven was as transparent as one could be with his insecurities and shortcomings. I appreciate his honesty and directness in this one.... Essentially, he touches on how the enemy,
Carrie Daws
A couple of my friends are major overthinkers. We laugh occasionally at where their minds go over some of the simplest statements that I never give another thought. Compared to them, I don't struggle with a chatterbox.

But that doesn't mean my enemy doesn't sometimes attack me in this area, occasionally reminding me of my shortcomings, poor wordings, and missed opportunities. Those times when I really messed up, or the times when things didn't go well.

Thankfully, Crash the Chatterbox is well desi
Kari
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
READ. THIS. BOOK. Really. So, so good. In SO MANY ways! In it Steven gives real, practical ways to get that mean voice in your head to SHUT UP. Practical things I've already used. Definitely a re-read!

"You’re doing better than you think you are.

It’s less about you than you think it is.

You matter more than you think you do.

More than you could ever know.

It’s working. It’s not in vain.

Don’t stop."

Shinade
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the very honest account of the Author. Practical advice backed by scripture. Motivational without the cringeworthy feeling common with self help books!

Crash the chatter box 👍🏿
Cydney
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s hard to talk about this book and not give away any spoilers. But, I’m going to try. Last year, I read “Greater” and immersed myself in a way I typically don’t. I took a pen, took a highlighter, and everywhere I felt God’s voice or a reminder for me was a mark. “Crash the Chatterbox” was no different except that it solidified what I was fighting for with my soon-to-be non-profit organization. Here is the book that talked about mental health and faith. Something that seems to be so taboo in C ...more
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A good reminder.

In a nutshell, this book describes what I began to consider as I graduated high school and continued to learn while battling depression.

I listened to this book on Audible (read by the author) and I think it's interesting that he chose to sing the lines of a few popular songs he referenced but didn't sing the line he referred to from "Great Is Thy Faithfulness."
Alessandra
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great read, definitely convicting and I believe once practiced and put into daily use will work against the chatterbox. Steven Furtick is real, which I appreciated, he speaks of his own issues and his own struggles with the chatterbox. It helped me to realize that this is a forever battle - we just get stronger and better at fighting it.
Josefa  Ramos
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to this book at our women’s bible study. I missed a couple sessions so picked up the book to re-learn . Right now in my life the chatter has given me a lot of anxiety, this book has helped me remember that ultimately God is in control and has already affirm who I am.
Sergio Cruz
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Steven Furtick was honest in this book as he shared his own shortcomings and issues with "the chatterbox". I think the book had a great message and a concept that can be really convicting as we move forward in our own journey with Christ. I think Furtick does a fantastic job of relating to younger generations as opposed to say reading a CS Lewis book for obvious reasons. That being said, some of it seemed repetitive and full of fluff. I still enjoyed it and would recommend.
Rick
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Crash the Chatterbox’ by Steven Furtick

“Because The Voice You Listen To Will Determine The Future You Experience”

When we’re terrorized by thoughts, we can find it difficult to practice distinguishing lies from the truth. But overpowering that which holds us back through insecurity, fear, discouragement, and condemnation is possible. The whisperings we so often buy into because we hear it not only from outside, but within our own heads and hearts. What is this costing you in terms of your joy?
Julie Stanley
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that talks about how to combat the lies of the enemy in our insecurities, fears, self-condemnation and discouragement with God's word. It is laced with scripture and truth.
Mark
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have heard a lot of good about this book, so when I saw it listed as available for review, I grabbed it. It sounds like a self-help book, and it could be taken that way, but it really isn't.

The premise of the book is that we have all of this negative stuff in our heads. Fears, worries, putdowns, etc. It drowns out God's voice and holds us back from being what we should be, and from doing what God wants us to do.

I found myself relating a lot to this book as I read it. For years, I have liste
Lorraine
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pastor Furtnick reached out in this book that is different from his sermons, which is a good thing. Here, I was able to confirm that he was human like me. Pastors aren’t God, they can’t do the things God can do. They can only be godly humans. Which is something that I think the church forgets.

Now this book isn’t about him but about all the thoughts that make us stray away from God. I want to point out that beginning this book, I didn’t realize I had negative, ongoing thoughts but by the end of i
Kathryn
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
"If you haven't had a head-on collision with the Devil lately, it may be because you're running in the same direction.” If God is calling you to live for him, you are going to face enormous opposition, both external and internal voices trying to discourage you. This book offers practical solutions for how to deal with fears by re-framing your mindset. It's a model similar to cognitive behavioral therapy, with the key difference that there is less hope for resolution in this life. The more you pr ...more
Kelly
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not have read this book at a better time!! Starting 2019 the book equipped to hear God’s voice and what He is calling me to do above all the other voices of life and the world! I think pastor Furtick gets his points across brilliantly by being transparent about his own struggles, defeats and victories with the chatterbox! As Furtick mentions in the book which rang soooo true to me ....it’s not that I’m learning something new...it’s all the things I need to remember about the goodness of ...more
James Morovich
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some call it self talk, others call it negativity tapes inside our head, author and Pastor of Elevation Church, Stephen Furtick calls it the "chatterbox" that keeps us from reaching the full potential God has for us.

This one is good for just about anyone who feels the constant attacks from the inner "chatterbox" Satan used to bring Christians down. Well worth the time to read and process!
Ike Unger
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed to read this book. I truly appreciated Steven Furtick honesty and tips on how to silence the chatterbox. He gave strong biblical guidance to how to respond when we are bombarded with the voices that would love to distract us from what God wants us to hear.

This book is a great read.
Kelli
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gosh I needed this message!!! It's so important to know that everyone struggles with that voice in our head telling us we failed or are not good enough. It's also so important to know that putting down the phone, the internet, anything that is speaking to us allllll day long, is really needed.
Maurya
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has, for me, a few good thoughts in it, but overall, I think he spends a large number of pages saying the same thing over and over. If you are interested in this book, lot me know and I can give you a Rieder's Digest version!

MR
Heather
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent companion to the Crash the Chatterbox small group. I wouldn't get this for use without the small groups, unless you have access to the videos.
Crystal Mercedez
Great book!

It was amazing! Very insightful information on how to defeat the lies we commonly accept about ourselves. Def would recommend this book!
Dollface
Great book, read it in a class setting with several amazing people. Take away - broken is beautiful <3 ...more
Grace
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author Steven Furtick put some of our daily struggles and battles within ourselves beautifully into words. He explained it in a way that really helped me to understand that everyday we have this inner battle. We have what God wants for us and what he thinks about us and we also have this evil chatterbox inside us which is telling us that we aren’t worthy of God’s love and it tells us all these lies that we continue to believe everyday. Throughout the book he talks about Adam and Eve a lot be ...more
Kristy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is one of those times where a book comes into your life exactly when you need it. At the beginning of this year I went through a deep depression, and as I was recovering I dealt with a lot of fears with how to combat the lies in my head...the lies of I'm not good enough and never will be, that I'm too messed up and will never change. This book (which talks about that exact subject; "chatterbox" is the word Furtick uses to describe the incessant thoughts in our minds that try to destroy us) ...more
Linda Flynn
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I thought Steven Furtick provided valuable insights on how to overcome the negative messages that so often permeate our thinking. For a Christian, the book helps one by learning what things to focus on from God's word.
God says I am.
God says He will.
God says He has.
God says He can.

A few of the statements that stood out to me are:
...it's not just what this chatter says that makes it dangerous. It's what it keeps us from hearing.

...mistakes are inevitable but disrespect is inexcusable. And ingratit
April
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this solid 3.5 stars. I don't attend Elevation Church and have never heard Steven Furtick speak and have not read any of his other books. My review is based solely on this book. I thought there was some solid advice on how to quiet the chatterbox and rely on God during times of insecurity, fear, condemnation and discouragement. I appreciated his honest stories and examples of how he struggles and his techniques for overcoming. However, the most moving example in the book is that of the ...more
Brenda Josan
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never read a Christian based book before and that’s coming from a new born Christian who has read the Bible and loves God. I’ve always wanted to read a book like this, but I never knew where to start. This book was actually gifted to me by a friend for my birthday. I was ecstatic to read it.
The book was very inspiring with many influencing examples from Pastor Steven and from people he knows. The devil knows how to put negative thoughts in our minds. It happens everyday. But the challenge
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Jesus Is: Find a New Way to Be Human
  • Through the Eyes of a Lion: Facing Impossible Pain, Finding Incredible Power
  • How's Your Soul?: Why Everything that Matters Starts with the Inside You
  • Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely
  • Hope in the Dark: Believing God Is Good When Life Is Not
  • I Declare War: Four Keys to Winning the Battle with Yourself
  • Crushing: It's Not the End!
  • Swipe Right: The Life-and-Death Power of Sex and Romance
  • Life Is _____.: God's Illogical Love Will Change Your Existence
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Soar!: Build Your Vision from the Ground Up
  • Unashamed: Drop the Baggage, Pick up Your Freedom, Fulfill Your Destiny
  • Gods at War: Defeating the Idols that Battle for Your Heart
  • Friend of Sinners: Why Jesus Cares More About Relationship Than Perfection
  • Don't Give Up: Faith That Gives You the Confidence to Keep Believing and the Courage to Keep Going
  • Relationship Goals: How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex
  • The End of Me: Where Real Life in the Upside-Down Ways of Jesus Begins
Steven Furtick is the founder and lead pastor of Elevation Church in Charlotte, North Carolina, named by Outreach magazine as one of the top 10 fastest growing churches in the nation. In four years, Elevation has grown to more than 6,000 people in regular attendance in three locations. Steven holds a degree in communication from North Greenville University, and a Master of Divinity degree from Sou ...more

News & Interviews

“Every second you spend wishing God would take away a struggle is a forfeited opportunity to overcome.” 26 likes
“The One who lives outside of time invites you into a reality that is informed by His perfect plans to give you hope and a future. God speaks in the past tense about battles you’re currently fighting. And He buries the shame of yesterday in order to resurrect the moment you are in and sustain you in the season He is calling you to embrace.” 22 likes