Start by marking “The Charles Schwab Guide to Finances After Fifty: Answers to Your Most Important Money Questions” as Want to Read:

Here at last are the hard-to-find answers to the dizzying array of financial questions plaguing those who are age fifty and older.

The financial world is more complex than ever, and people are struggling to make sense of it all. If you’re like most people moving into the phase of life where protecting—as well as growing-- assets is paramount, you’re faced with a number of
Published April 1st 2014 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Charles Schwab Guide to Finances After Fifty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charles Schwab Guide to Finances After Fifty

Start your review of The Charles Schwab Guide to Finances After Fifty: Answers to Your Most Important Money Questions
Steve Peifer
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you like unintentional humor, you've hit the mother lode with this gem. Nothing is more inspirational than someone who is the daughter of a billionaire who has never had to work a day in her life giving financial advice. The Great Recession? Portfolios went down, but they came back up! And that's the empathetic insight you get because if you were a trust funder, nothing else happened. If you lost your job or you are now underemployed, not a sentence. Her explanation of COBRA is so great; you ...more
John Fredrickson
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: financial, retirement
This book is a light coverage of many issues associated with the financial and familial issues of retiring. It is organized as Questions followed by short (10 pages or so) Answers, where the surfaced issue is explored in a way that opens up the possibility of dealing with the issue well. The material is not covered in great depth, but explores and frames the overall retirement process in direct, easily readable language.
Mark
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great foundation for organizing your finances at 50

This book lays out all the financial advice and considerations at the appropriate level of detail, with resources listed for more in depth explanations as needed. I found the chapters on social security and Medicare to be especially insightful.
CBW Librarian
Probably better suited to people on the threshold of retirement. Worth taking another look at it down the road.
Jay
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retirement, business
I happened to stop by my local Schwab office in February and the fellow watching the desk at lunchtime literally thrust the book at me, the only copy in sight in their office. Those that know me know I never say no to a free book. And this was a topic that is very timely, as I have recently entered the “fabulous” fifties. And I have been reading a lot recently on personal finance matters. This one covers the world of personal finance by asking 50 questions. I found most applied to me or offered ...more
Joe Silber
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A pretty good overview of retirement-related finances. There's a lot of basic information that most people who are at all informed on retirement probably already know, but enough added detail to make it worthwhile anyway, at least to me. There's probably not too much here that you couldn't find on the internet, but it's nice to have it all in one place in easy-to-read language.

The book is divided up by topics phrased in the form of questions (such as "Should I be debt-free before I retire" and
Karen Schnakenberg
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an overall good overview, and there are a number of handy summary charts that should be useful as quick reminders of main ideas. The scope is pretty comprehensive, and she does a good job of explaining basic concepts. The problem I have is that the approach is almost too even-handed. For example, she explains the differences between investing in index funds and actively managed funds, and as a strength of the managed funds indicates that they have the "potential" to outperform their ...more
John
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good information for retirement planning.
Garrett
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book after Michele Singletary of the Washington Post mentioned it in a column. Although still a few years short of fifty, it provided me many tools and insight into planning steps, and having these in one comprehensive book (with an index!) is invaluable. An eye-opening suggestion was to budget for non-discretionary and discretionary items, which then lets you see where you are spending on necessities versus non-necessities. Or making a list of where your executor can find all ...more
Pam
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is excellent. It was recommended by Michele Singletary in the Washington Post a few weeks ago...as much as one likes to think one has prepared and/or knows what to know, a well-written review and direction for money questions is just invaluable to me, at least. Although we are well, well beyond 50, the sections and presentation are fine, fine for reviewing what we've tackled to date, how we can expect the financial events of our lives to progress at this point and very very clear, ...more
Susan Robison
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a first reads contest and my husband and I are devouring it's useful information. Although we have saved and invested well for our upcoming retirement, this book opened our eyes to things we hadn't even thought about needing to know! It is a must read for all 50 somethings, even those who think they have planned well. This advice will help you leave no stone unturned! This will probably be on my "currently reading" shelf forever because we will go back to it again and again as we ...more
Darryl Pendergrass
Recommended Reading for those within 15 years of Retirement

I was inspired to begin investing in my early 20's by a mentor. I took that advice and thankful for that wisdom shared with me now that I am closer to retirement age. This book provided answers to numerous questions that arise during the final years of preparation. I was particularly interested in the coverage of the various trusts available to ensure for the financial care loved ones when needed.
Noah Sanchez
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book touching on many areas for those, as it says, over 50 and needing to know what to do nearing and in retirement. Addresses numerous questions to ask (and answers) concerning transitioning into retirement, social security, medicare, life in retirement, estate planning, proper insurances, etc.

Written in an easy to reference and concise style, this is a book to own and reference as you enter these years.
Bruce
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
An OK resource, but not one of the better ones I've read. This isn't a book I'm likely to want to refer to in the future. I got it from the library, and see no need to buy a copy to keep handy. One nice feature is the layout. It's broken out into many small chapters that each aim to answer an specific question. This made it easier to to skip over parts that I wasn't overly interested in.
Eric Reidsma
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
There’s probably nothing in here that you can’t find on the internet, buts it kind of nice to have all this good information put together. I’m probably too young to make use of most of it and it seems that the rules are constantly changing so I’m not sure how long this book will be relevant. It was eye opening for me to see what a debacle Medicare is though.
David
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
good overview, in readily digested FAQ format, of standard topics such as saving for retirement, as well as some detailed checklists for more specialized situations such as setting up a trust to fund care for a special needs child after you're gone.

not scintillating reading or funny or what have you, but could be a useful reference to have handy for planning purposes.
Gordon Howard
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lots of questions answered, but most are not relevant to your particular situation unless you are a complete novice to all such subjects. Rather dryly written too, and reads like it has been carefully sanitized by an attorney.
Kent
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This guide is a useful, albeit brief summary of the many issues confronting those approaching or entering retirement. In fact, it offers a number of useful insights that people younger than 50 years of age ought to start thinking about.
Matthew
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got this book free from my employer. I decided to give it a read. Not a bad book; I found it to be fairly basic look at finances. Will help those people who have questions about Social Security and Medicare. I forwarded my copy to my father-in-law who I think will benefit from it.
Kevin Keating
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had some good information and is updated. Goes into a lot more detail. I guess that's good. You should pass by info that really doesn't apply to you. When it does apply, it's pretty thorough.
D. Baucom
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh.
Just an average overview of financial situations facing the over 50 group. A bit to general for my taste.
Trina
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improvement
Good information. I really liked the layout. I didn't read it all as some questions did not pertain to me. it got me motivated to re engage with my investing. Reread when I'm ready to estate planning
Ruth
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book on what to do in the homestretch before retirement. Full review at http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2014... to be published 3/25/14
Eric
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: money
A pretty good overview of a lot of important retirement topics. Lots of useful information for the under 50 crowd too. Seems more geared toward wealthier folks though.
Chris
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Partitioned purposefully for use as a reference book. Will definitely come back to this with future finance questions or to brush up on more obscure topics.
Mike Humphry
Good Info

Easy read with relevant information for those planning for retirement. Took away ideas to research further. Thought provoking and provided good roadmap.
Lesley Looper
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, finance, 2015
This book was, by and large, a decent refresher of information I'd heard about before. I skimmed parts that don't/won't apply to me. Big take-away is I need to get better organized.
Dana
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is practical and informative with a variety of information to help people to plan their finances and retirement.
Richard
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good question and answer format. It's easy to skip the parts that don't pertain to your situation. I'm no expert, but the advice seems to be good.
Karmen
Aug 09, 2016 marked it as to-read-2015  ·  review of another edition
Nook
Goodreads Librari...: Delete duplicate 3 22 Oct 21, 2016 10:07PM

• The Truth About Retirement Plans and IRAs
  • Moon Panama (Moon Handbooks)
  • Small Animal Clinical Nutrition
  • Knits from the Greenhouse: Knitting Patterns for Plant-Based Fibers
  • Worth It ... Not Worth It?: Simple & Profitable Answers to Life's Tough Financial Questions
  • Color Me Beautiful
  • Simply Stitched: Beautiful Embroidery Motifs and Projects with Wool and Cotton
  • Thailand
  • The Move to Mexico Bible
  • The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine & Feline
  • Costa Rica (Moon Handbooks)
  • Team Secrets Of The Navy Seals: The Elite Military Force's Leadership Principles For Business
  • Costa Rica