Start by marking “Odds and Ends: An Assortment of Sorts” as Want to Read:
Odds and Ends: An Assortment of Sorts

Odds and Ends: An Assortment of Sorts

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  19 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Prepare to be ferried to an unfamiliar realm on the bony back of despair. Author Dustin LaValley takes us down face first with rapid-fire flash fiction in the form of Odds and Ends: An Assortment of Sorts. Already associated with the dark and bizarre, LaValley expands his repertoire to experiment with form and literary introspection. These harrowing meditations on the natu ...more
Published May 13th 2013 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

To ask other readers questions about Odds and Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odds and Ends

Janie C.
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
With acuity and a nod to the disenfranchised, the author presents us with a collection that is familiar with darkness but is underscored with a hint of light. I look forward to reading more of this author's distinctive writing.
Rodney
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The random musings and flash pieces in this book were very relevant to me. Humorous, dark, insightful and laced with irony, I really enjoyed them.
Zoe
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, ebook
Odds and Ends is a hard book to fit into any category or genre, and is composed as a collection of flash fiction pieces. For me, short story collections are a hard sell, but flash fiction isn't really the same animal.

If I have any complaints, it's that a lot of the scenes feel like something cut out of a longer story. They give just enough to establish a scene, but leave me guessing at what might come before or after the brief glimpses.

But the writer's style makes each of these snippets compelli
Matt Wesolowski
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a relative newcomer to flash fiction, I wasn't sure if it was for me; however, the strength of the prose in this left me desperate for more.
The stories in here are snatches of thought, brief windows into lives and snapshots from the most delicate tenderness to glimpses into the darkness within us all.

What stands out here is the simplicity of LaValley's style. Odds & Ends are quite simply exquisitely crafted vignettes from a melancholy world along an endless, dusty highway. Like me, you'll
Claudia
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A little darker than I usually read, Odds and Ends is a super interesting collection of flash fiction / prose poetry, some of which remind me of the writings of Jim Morrison or the poetry of Rimbaud or even David Bowie's Future Legend from Diamond Dogs way back when.... Some stories or "snapshots" are just a sentence or two and there are several drawings throughout the book. My personal favorite was "Sympathy or Selfishness." Short enough to read in one sitting, you may want to take your time to ...more
Robert A.
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Odds and Ends is a descriptive name for this short collection. Each piece gives the reader the opportunity to mull it significance, especially as it pertains to human character and existence. There is representative darkness in the author's writing. An orginal, thus the five stars. This book is much different from the usual fare, by an author that apparently walks down a different street. Reviewed by the author of The Children's Story,A Novel Not for Children (about good and evil).
Olethros
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
-Las máximas extendidas a relatos, en ocasiones muy breves.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Recopilación de relatos del autor, muy cortos algunos de ellos, de temática humanista, urbana, oscura, nihilista y joven, todo a la vez.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Donald Armfield
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dustin LaValley had a rough life growing up from what the authors Bio tells us. He has won awards for his work and here is Odds and Ends.

A bunch of mind splatter straight from Dustin's head straight onto a note pad, poetry and blurps that will having you reading again and wondering. My Favorites:

Imaginary Words