Start by marking “Hannibal” as Want to Read:
Hannibal

Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter #3)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  63,165 Ratings  ·  2,085 Reviews
You remember Hannibal Lecter: gentleman. genius. cannibal.

Seven years have passed since Dr. Lecter escaped from custody. And for seven years he's been at large, free to savor the scents, the essences, of an unguarded world. But intruders have entered Dr. Lecter's sanctuary, piercing his new identity, sensing the evil that surrounds him. For the multimillionaire Hannibal le
Published 2004 by Pocket Books (first published June 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hannibal, please sign up.

Shandor Nikitits It was quite refreshing to read that the villain gets away with it and livres a happy life.
I don't recall they carry on cannibalism, perhaps Clarice…more
I don't recall they carry on cannibalism, perhaps Clarice steered him away from that?
More enjoyable than the film in my view.(less)

Ana
If I saw you everyday, forever, I would remember this time.

photo Audrey-Hepburn-Pulls-Down-Glasses_zpsskxpmqeo.gif

And they say psychopaths aren't romantic.

(view spoiler)
Peggy
Aug 22, 2007 Peggy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let me confess up front: I loved Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Loved them. I enjoyed the movies, too: the movie version of Silence of the Lambs scared the pee out of me, and even so, I didn’t want it to end. So, long years later when I finally got hold of a copy of Hannibal, I really, really, wanted to love it, too.

But I didn’t.

Well, that’s not entirely true. If I pretend that this wasn’t a sequel about characters I already know, then I can find some bright spots. The book has s
*TANYA*
Dec 11, 2016 *TANYA* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannibal happens to be one of my favorite fictional characters and with this book I became more enamored with him. Yes, it's twisted but me likes him a lot!!
Ahmad Sharabiani
Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter #3), Thomas Harris
عنوان: هانیبال؛ ادامه سکوت بره ها؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: هفتم فوریه سال 2000 میلادی
عنوان: هانیبال؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ مترجم: اصغر اندرودی؛ تهران، نشر البرز؛ 1378؛ در 615 ص؛ شابک: 9644422333؛
عنوان: هانیبال؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ مترجم: شهناز مهدوی؛ تهران، نشر هامان؛ 1378؛ در 598 ص؛ شابک: 9649221816؛
عنوان: هانیبال؛ نویسنده: توماس هریس؛ مترجم: کورس جهانبیگلو؛ تهران، دایره؛ 1378؛ در 374 ص؛ شابک: ایکس - 964683924؛ چاپ دوم 1388 ؛ شابک:
Noiresque
Jul 10, 2007 Noiresque rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have a theory about this horrible book.

Both Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs are formidable pieces of pop fiction. They are well-written thrillers with great descriptions and characters. They were both adapted into great movies. They made Thomas Harris a very rich man.

I think Mr. Harris made a bet, maybe with a friend or just to himself. He knew that his next novel would be snapped up for big bucks for the screen rights. He knew he would not get any control over the script. So he dec
Tristan
Jul 23, 2017 Tristan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
“Did you ever think, Clarice, why the Philistines don't understand you? It's because you are the answer to Samson's riddle. You are the honey in the lion.”

Clearly, the world didn’t need ( 'want' is another matter, of course ) one more novel featuring Hannibal Lecter. At the end of Silence of the Lambs, the good doctor had escaped the clutches of the law, after having treated the local authorities to a grotesque display of Grand Guignol theatre by way of parting gift.

description

This was a more than fitti
Stargirl
Sep 03, 2011 Stargirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh that ending. Sublime.

Gothic horror detective chase story, blends genres with great ease, affirming Harris as a master storyteller- as if we didn't already know. Don't go in expecting another Red Dragon or Silence of the Lambs. This is a much bigger, far darker experience. It's all in the title people. Silence was the story of Clarice Starling, so there is a lot of hope and innocence to it. This one, is about the dark side of her character- and of that awful/awesome Doctor Mr Lecter himself.
Sufferingbruin
Oct 25, 2009 Sufferingbruin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lord, what an awful book. Awash in mediocrity from first page to last. It has mediocre characters (the same which were so captivating in "Silence of the Lambs"), mediocre dialogue, mediocre scenery, virtually no suspense (but a plethora of pointlessly putrid acts), and a meandering narrative that often lacks consistency of time and place. "Hannibal" does not induce fear or revulsion so much as groans and guffaws. But don't worry: there's a bleeding HIV-postiive woman holding a baby whose last li ...more
Chris Shepherdson
When Thomas Harris created the infamous Hannibal Lector in Red Dragon he couldn't have known the influence that character would have on crime fiction for the next decade. By the time he came to write Hannibal, ten years after his previous book, The Silence of The Lambs, he must have felt some serious pressure. The fact that Hannibal is the book it is, when written under these circumstances, makes it all the more remarkable.
To call it a crime novel is doing it a grave injustice and reading it as
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 Darth J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome, series
Movie, Y U NO B LIEK BOOK?!
James
Feb 05, 2008 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
The book starts off wonderfully with Harris's visualization; you can see everything you read. There are complex characters introduced and of course a wicked weave between them. He shows the master insanity of Hannibal with his elaborate set-ups for escape from not only Starling but from a vile creature named Verger who sets out to seek revenge on the good doctor. And you are eating this up the whole time, because it seems that Harris is once again quite the masterful story teller. But then you g ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
**Note - After my re-read on 3/24/15, have bumped from four to five stars and edited review a little. *

I read the four books in order of sequence, not publication, ending with Hannibal. I'm not sure if it was following them in order or my mood, but I was more enamored this time around. It's turned out to be my favorite in the series. I know this isn't the popular opinion, but I think Harris did a brilliant job wrapping up the series.

The plot is as diabolical as Silence of the Lambs was, this tim
Rade
Jan 07, 2015 Rade rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"is it as good as Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs? No...this one is better." - Stephen King

Oh put a cork in it, King. I love you but you are not being truthful at all. This book was IMO a giant turd of words. Feel free to disagree.

For one, Lecter needs to remain a secondary character, the kind that will offer advice and feed on personal information of the people interviewing him. In this book he is featured a lot more than in other books. He is free but at the same time he is hunted and
Brad
Apr 02, 2014 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, psychology
I knew it was really a love story because I had seen the movie first, but I didn't realize how much of a love story it would become. Sure, cat and mouse games were predominant, and they were satisfyingly concluded, but the true joy for me came with not only identifying with, but actively loving the title character. Clarise, on the other hand, has become a much more interesting character.
I'm not certain how much I believe her own transformation. Sure, a person can be programmed, and I know that i
Rosie
Jul 06, 2008 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was obviously relishing my next installment in the world of Clarice Starling and Dr Hannibal Lecter. The book opens explosively with dramatic happenings, despite Starling's FBI career being a slight anti-climax due to influences from former enemies. Again, I'd seen the film before I read the book and so most of the major plot occurences I was already aware of, but there are more differences between the two Hannibal medias than in the films of Harris' previous two novels. The film had the advan ...more
Niki
Jul 06, 2017 Niki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review will come very soon, maybe even in a few hours. I don't need to think long and hard about this one before reviewing it.

...Indeed, a few hours later, here I am reviewing this book.

First things first: I will not be putting any of the spoilers under a spoiler cut. That's because you SHOULD spoil yourself before reading this book, and spare yourself from reading it altogether.

(Spare yourself. SAVE yourself. It's too late for me, but save yourself!!)

Usually, I put the negative stuff I hav
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
***Edit: Second time reading it:

"You are a warrior, Clarice. The most stable elements appear in the middle of the periodic table, roughly between iron and silver. Between iron and silver. I think that is appropriate for you. Did you ever think, Clarice, why the Philistines don't understand you? It's because you are the answer to Samson's riddle: You are the honey in the lion."

In this tale of murder and mayhem from the esteemed Thomas Harris, we follow Hannibal Lecter across the globe as he is ru
Andrew Breslin
I've been openly endorsing a lot of cannibalism lately, what with my "Eat the Rich" sign down at the ongoing occupy Philadelphia event up the street. As far as a strategy for revolutionary change and general economic improvement, I'm not sure it will work, but it couldn't possibly be any less effective than supply-side economics, and would be much more fun.

Hannibal Lecter is, arguably, literature's most beloved cannibal. I say "arguably" only because I want to start an argument so I'll have mor
Steve
May 20, 2011 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*CONTAINS SPOILERS & SWEETBREADS*
After discovering Harris upon seeing the phenomenal movie 'Manhunter' in the '80s I sought out Red Dragon which was a fantastic and gripping cat & mouse rollercoaster ride. It's follow up was of course Silence Of The Lambs, equally engrossing and with a massively popular movie adaptation to boot. It was therefore such a massive disappointment to read Hannibal, a book I'd waited impatiently for for the best part of a decade.
In all honesty I don't think I'
Kim
Jun 01, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This is not a crime novel. It's certainly set up like one, yes, but it's much more than that. Hannibal is not only a book that revolves around a killer and his unusual relationship with an FBI Agent - it's a close examination of good versus evil, innocence versus corruption, and most of all, the evils of institutionalized misogyny and how the people we think we are supposed to trust betray us in the most harmful and damaging ways. It's both a horror story and a psychological thriller wrapped up ...more
Chris
Apr 23, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure what to say about this book. I really liked it and it is easily a solid 4.5 stars. I will try to break down what I liked and what I was not to fond of that caused this to be less than a 5 star read. I am still just speechless over the whole thing but in a good way. Shocked into silence because of the amazing writing of Thomas Harris is how I feel after finishing this book.

This being the third book in the Hannibal Lecter series, I have been enjoying each step. The problem with read
Esma Tezgi
Sep 07, 2016 Esma Tezgi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2.5
Kitap 430'lara kadar çok güzel ve heyecanlı ilerledi, yazar gerçekten iyi bir kurguya imza atmıştı, her sayfa da dolu doluydu. Fakat 430'dan sonrası benim için kabus gibiydi, yazarın bu kısımlar tabii ki de rüyaydı demesini ve her şeyin normale dönmesini ne kadar istesem de her şey daha kötüye gitti. Hannibal karakterine biçilen bu son bana oldukça rahatsızlık verici geldi, "iyiler hep kazanır"a inanmam ama buradaki son gerçekten çok rahatsız ediciydi. Seriye devam edip bitirme isteğim de kal
Kristin
The part where (view spoiler) gave me nightmares.

Still does....why the effff did I bring that up again.
Nov 25, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am absolutely heartbroken that I've finished this series! I have overly optimistic hopes that Thomas Harris will surprise everyone with another addition, but I doubt that I'll be that lucky.
I've read a lot of reviews which have said that Hannibal is far worse than any of the other books, and that the ending (different from the film's) is too unrealistic to believe. I have to disagree with them all!
I loved this book, and even though it's been 2 days since I finished it, I've read and re-read th
Sage
Dec 29, 2013 Sage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the first two Hannibal novels (including me) might need to adjust their expectations before reading this third installation: it has absolutely no suspense. It seemed as if Thomas Harris' writing style changed completely. There were scenes that could have been better if written differently. I'm a sucker for anything emotionally demanding, and this was the complete opposite of that. But did the stoic writing make this a bad book? Certainly, not.

Much like Hannibal Lecter, this book is not e
Abby
Oct 17, 2015 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I see why everyone reads The Silence of the Lambs and then nothing else from this series. Because the rest of it just isn't exciting. So Hannibal Lecter is on the run (again), but this time it's not just the FBI looking for him. We have Mason Verger, who's very eager to get his hands on Lecter and feed him to his carnivorous pigs. (Yep, really.) The one thing I really like about this book is Clarisse Starling's regression. Without giving anything away, the ending was simply chilling.
Stephen
1.5 stars. A big disappointment after really enjoying Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Lecter becomes more cartoonish in this installment and it just seems like Harris has lost his grip on the character. Stick with the first two books and avoid this one and the next one.
May 08, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I was so excited to read this since I LOVED Silence of the Lambs. I was a bit disappointed. I listened to this book on audio and Daniel Gerroll did a superb job but I just didn't connect with this story. I felt that it was all over the place. Not a terrible book but definitely doesn't compare to its predecessor.
Diane
Jul 20, 2010 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite possibly what would be considered a disaster. There was never a single moment where I was enthralled enough to keep turning the pages. Of course, that's unfortunate, because it's set in a world where a monster like Hannibal Lecter runs free. The very earth should be shivering beneath his footfalls and it doesn't. Each page should be something of a continued suspension and I had no problems putting the book down to turn to something more important.

I've always enjoyed the simpli
Janie Johnson
Dec 19, 2012 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-challenge
I have to say I really did enjoy this book even though so many have voiced their dislike of this one the most. I must place it between Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. Maybe because Lecter was more in the limelight in this installment of the series. We got to see the build up to Lecter's presence in this story. I enjoyed that. The story drew me in right from the start as the others before it did.

Harris has such a very poetic writing style that I can't help but enjoy it. The words seem to fl
Comments on the series Ending! Am I the only one who thinks its good? 3 21 Jul 20, 2017 02:56AM
The movie version ending, or movie vs. book 81 1487 Apr 07, 2017 03:25PM
So...Barney (End Scenes) 2 36 Jan 08, 2017 08:10AM
NO SPOILERS PLEASE 5 45 May 10, 2015 02:31PM
I still can't over this book. 4 69 May 10, 2015 02:20PM
Why did Hannibal Lector think psychology was not a science? 6 73 Mar 27, 2015 08:45AM
The whole eating someone's brain while they are still alive was a bit too much. 17 334 Mar 27, 2015 08:43AM
  • Serial Killers
  • The Art and Making of Hannibal: The Television Series
  • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
  • Waiting
  • The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)

3 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted.” 200 likes
“I think it's easy to mistake understanding for empathy - we want empathy so badly. Maybe learning to make that distinction is part of growing up. It's hard and ugly to know somebody can understand you without even liking you.” 144 likes