Start by marking “A Life, Redefined (Rowan Sloane, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Life, Redefined (Rowan Sloane, #1)

Read Book

A Life, Redefined

(Rowan Sloane #1)

Seven years ago, an innocent act by Rowan Slone turned her life into a nightmare. Since the age of ten she's lived with the burden of her baby brother's death. Now she is seventeen and all she wants to do is graduate high school, go to college, and escape the loveless family she has endured all these years—the same family that holds her responsible for his death. But no ...more
Published June 21st 2013 by Cerulean Publishing

Start your review of A Life, Redefined (Rowan Sloane, #1)
Schizanthus Nerd
I’m hesitant to say too much about this book. I was looking forward to reading it but I had some significant problems with its content. I don’t want to come across as mean because that’s not my intent, but I also don’t want to ignore the issues I found.

There are multiple 4 and 5 star reviews so I would encourage you to read those as well before deciding if this is the book for you or not. I know you have your own mind and I don’t expect what I have to say will influence you either way but just
♕ rayne ♕
.25 out of

It was a look, an attitude, a mood that grew like a weed in our family. But it was rarely spoken about, said out loud.

CW: Mentions of self harm, depression, self harm, death…etc.

There were a lot of topics in this book that made me really uncomfortable. So, this is just a disclaimer that this book is not for everyone.

Honestly, it’s really messed up, but in a strange demented kind of way, it pulled me in. This story was interesting to me because it showed a different perspective
Abbie
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 3.5

I felt so sorry for Rowan all the way through this. She carried the guilt from her baby brother's death, her mother, father and sister were all horrible to her, and blamed her for everything that went wrong, and then she was hit by a bombshell, which was awful.

This was a decent read, and the pace was just about right. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)

This was an interesting contemporary story, and I felt so sorry for Rowan.

Rowan was such a normal girl who was living with an abnormal amount of guilt heaped on her by her family, not to mention her crazy home life. The way her family treated her and blamed her for her younger brother’s death was just awful, and it was just so unfair the way she lived in constant fear of what her mother and her father would do on a daily basis!

The storyline in this revolved around
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I don't know where to start with this review because this book has left me speechless. A Life, Redefined is a YA novel that really looks into the tragedy of a teenage girl who has to go through abusive family and the guild of the past.

Having to live with knowing that she was responsible for her brother's death, Rowan just wants to move on. With one year left of school, she works for good grades so she can go to college and actually do something good. Because being with her family is impossible.
Judy
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Review: Wow where to begin. This is such a great young adult book. It touches on so many problems that can beset young people today. Dealing with the deep emotional scars Rowan manages to also show a strength and resiliency that we can only admire. Convinced that she caused the death of her baby bother when she was only ten she can only find relief from the guilt by cutting herself. Try as she might she still resorts to this behavior as her home life continues to unravel. We see a truly ...more
M
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A wonderful story. I could not put it down. It made me both laugh and cry at times. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've experienced... the way this book is written you are put right into Rowan's character and can feel her pain.
Cannot wait to read more by this author.
Thank you for the book!
Megan
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kinda book that is going to stick with me for a very long time. I finished it about an hour ago and I cannot stop thinking about it; about Rowan, about her family, about her heartbreak and her pain. I genuinely loved it and thought it was so powerful. Every time something more happened, I just wanted to reach into the book and hug Rowan - reading everything she was going through was hard. I recommend!
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

For the last seven years, Rowan has been blamed by her parents and sister for her baby brother's death in the novel A Life, Redefined. She was only ten years old at the time and what happened wasn't her fault. The way her family behaves towards her is sickening with their accusing stares and blaming her for everything that goes wrong with the family.

She lives like a shadow in her own house - doing her best to stay
Alexia
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Review:
I entered the Goodreads giveaway on a whim and was stoked when I found out that I had won. It was staring at me from my desk earlier so I looked at the page number and I guessed that I could finish it pretty quickly. I was right. It was a riveting, page turner that dealt with so many tough issues. Usually when a book tackles so many tough issues,the book ends up being subpar. Not this book.This book handled such tough issues as teenage
Drea Damara
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually crank out my book reviews as soon as I’m done reading, but A Life Redefined…did something to me…and I still don’t know if I’ve figured out what exactly that was, but it wasn’t bad. It was an irreversible shift, a root taking hold, that lets me know this book will resonate with me for a long time to come. First off, I haven’t read many books in the first person, but this one made me feel like Rowan Slone more than any other first-person narrator has cast me into the shoes of the main ...more
Kathy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am not even going to bother recapping the plot as it is pretty well laid out above. I have to say WOW the author does a phenomenal job with this story, capturing Rowan's feelings. She has been taking the blame for everything wrong that has ever happened in her family since the death of her infant brother. She has a mother that cannot or will not cope with her life hiding in her bedroom eating her way into an early grave. Rowan's father an ex military man, now prison guard is an angry bitter ...more
WTF Are You Reading?
This is a very hard book to stomach.
The reason for this being that main character, Rowan Sloane, is made to be the scapegoat for all of her family's many dysfunctions. A problem, it seems that has been going on for so long that it has become an institutionalized coping mechanism for people doing anything but.

Her father is a corrections officer at the local prison, and her mother, a depressed and food addicted housewife, who can't seem to find her way out of bed most days.
Add to this max, a
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
4.5 stars for A Life, Redefined.

I found this very easy to fall into and actually once started very hard to put down. Tracy has delivered a perfect mix of raw emotion, a twist I didn't seen coming, very 3D characters in a great no waffle and non procrastinating way.

All of the characters have relevance, the emotional scale had me near to tears one minute, sighing with comfortable enjoyment and slightly gripping the kindle hard with tension at other times.

The weight and the magnitude of what Rowan
Joood Hooligan
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***AUDIOBOOK REVIEW***

I was given a copy of the audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

I've listened to audiobooks a lot, but this was my first time doing so using audible from my phone. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use.

As for this book - I planned on listening to it throughout the week while I was driving to and from work. Yeah... that didn't work out. Once it began, I had a difficult time turning it off.

The main character, Rowan - a 17 year old high school junior, is
Paula  Phillips
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Rowan's family, she is known as the girl who ruined everything after her baby brother died when she was eight years old. From that moment on, it seems that whenever anything goes wrong, it is Rowan's fault despite the rest of her family's failings. Rowan is the reason her father hates her family, the reason her mum won't get out of bed and the reason her sister is traipsing all around the school. What will happen though when something positive happens to Rowan as Mike - the school quarterback ...more
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
When Rowan was just ten years old, she helped care for her little brother one night as her parents were fighting. The two month old baby boy appeared to be cold, so she covered him with a blanket. The next morning he was found dead. Rowan's family blamed her and despised her for the loss of his life.

A Life Redefined is a dramatic depiction of one girl's story as she struggles through grief, loss and self-doubt. At times her pain is so great that she turns to cutting as a way to deal with the
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
" When the darkness is too great,
When the pain is too real,
There is nothing but sharp edges,
Razor slices,
To remind me that I am alive."

Oh Rowan.

I started reading this expecting a typical story about a girl inside a high school drama. True, there is a drama. But oh my goodness, I didn't expect it to be a hardcore drama or that I will shed a lot of tears. A Life, Redefined, was a very emotional, realistic and heart touching read.

I really felt for Rowan. It's like, I want to climb inside the
Kevin Hammond
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not a fan of YA but I really couldn't put it down. Possibly I have spent almost all day reading this book.
Being honest, I couldn't really work out what it was that made me like this one so much until I came to the end. I think in the beginning I came to really like the main character. she was so well defined and very three dimensional. what the author set about doing was to put her in the family from hell and psychologically torture her in more ways than I would care to list. somehow that
Hazel
Jun 29, 2013 added it
this was a very good book. Is a very realistic book about of teen and adsolents and the trials and pain they face. The girl in this story if burdened with much pain and guilt feeling she was the cause of her baby brothers death. with a mother who is trying to purge her pain with food and a father who has distanced himself from the family she has no support. yet this book shows with determination and the help of a friend how she does get help. I would recommend this book and author. Am buying ...more
Sophie Moss
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-adult
A Life, Redefined is a captivating, beautifully written book. The characters are engaging and believable. The storyline is raw and powerful. It is the kind of story that is difficult to put down once you start because there is so much emotion woven into the character's journey it just pulls you right into the pages. I appreciate the way the author introduced some seriously dark subject matter by making it both realistic and believable. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Mark
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A life Redefined tells the story of Rowan Slone. Instead of actually reading this, I listened to this as to give the audio book a review. I actually enjoyed the story, and the voice of the reader, Becca Ballenger, and her youthful sounding voice does a remarkable job of telling it. Five stars for both the content of the story and the voice telling it, and I hope to hear more from Becca Ballenger in the future.
Mary
Feb 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: yageneral
Meyer threw every trick in the YA realistic fiction- teen in crisis hat in this novel to ill effect. The characters are flat, the plot points are trite and the meaty issues are treated rather flippantly. The 17 year old voice of the narrator reads more amateur than authentic. All-in-all, a miss. Reach for Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor and Park instead.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

Tracy Hewitt Meyer has written a deep, emotionally intense novel of how teenagers take it upon themselves to deal with the pain and suffering of life, without the help of their parents.

Read full review in the 2013 September issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Vamparilla
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Really Great read. I really enjoyed this as fast moving, kept attention and had great dialogue. It was fun to read and has a palatable plot with believable characters. Nicely done.
Christina
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. My heart went out for Rowan. I could not put this book. It broke my heart.
Rachel Marie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know what I was expecting when I went into this novel, but I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's definitely more deep and emotional, not light and fluffy. It was one of those books I didn't want to put down, I just wanted to keep going. I read almost all of it in one sitting, a rarity for me nowadays.

Seven years ago, Rowan was led to believe that she was responsible for killing her baby brother. Her family is broken, with a father who holds her in contempt, a morbidly
Littlebookterror
This is a very important story that I think could resonate with a lot of teenagers.

For me, the biggest issue was that I did not feel connected to any of the characters. Yes, I felt bad for Rowan and her situation but I never felt invested. There are several plots happening and 200 pages are too short to give any of them enough impact or time to develop. Rowan also seemed to self-aware at times, I did not always believe her when she said it's her fault or when she simply told her teacher
Amitis
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Life Redefined is outstanding! It is the story of Rowan Slone, a girl who comes from a broken home. Her mother is obese and rarely gets out of bed, her sister hates her and so does her dad. Why? Because she killed her baby brother seven years ago by putting a blanket over him. So she cuts herself out of guilt and sorrow. When she and Mike Anderson, her longtime crush, start hanging things start
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Seven years ago, Rowan Slone covered her baby brother Aidan's lower body with a blanket. When he didn't wake up the next morning, her parents accused Rowan of murder. You can imagine how this marked the youth of Rowan. In her teenage years, she developed anorexia and self-mutilation as coping mechanisms. Her dysfunctional family fell further apart, now her little sister, Trina is pregnant with two possible fathers, one of which hook up with Rowan as well.

Turbulent times in which all characters

• Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Sir
  • Grading Curves
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • To Touch the Light (Irons and Works)
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • American Traditional (Irons and Works, #3)
  • Blank Canvas (Irons and Works, #2)
  • Bio-Mechanical (Irons and Works, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • How to Run with the Wolves (Howl at the Moon #5)
  • Scarification (Irons and Works #6)
  • Stick and Poke (Irons and Works, #5)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 7 [Tokyo Guru 7] (Tokyo Ghoul, #7)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
I am the award-winning author of YA fiction, including the Rowan Slone Series, and The Reformation of Marli Meade.

The world can overwhelm me, but, like many highly sensitive people (HSPs), I've managed to adapt and make my way through. It's not always easy. It's not always pretty. But it's my life.

I love to write almost as much as I love to read. Sometimes more. Life is a story. Hang on and enjoy

Rowan Sloane (3 books)
  • A Life, Forward (Rowan Sloane, #2)
  • A Life, Freed (Rowan Sloane, #3)