Start by marking “Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)

Close to You

(Downside Ghosts #5.5)

The Holidays Are Hell

Churchwitch Chess Putnam has seen, and banished, her share of ghosts, but not of the Christmas Past variety—the holiday has been illegal since the Church of Real Truth defeated the undead and took control of the world in 1997.

Yet when she and her boyfriend, Terrible, make a trip to an abandoned auto junkyard, they find more than the rusted auto parts
Published October 8th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Close to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close to You

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
What a wonderful, sweet and messed up Christmas story with Chessie and Terrible.

One things for sure...I'll never think of hide and seek or one of my favorite Carpenter's song the same way again!!

But the good thing is that the magic between Chessie and Terrible is still as strong as ever. Thank Goodness!
Jill
Netgalley review

Does it get any better than Chess and Terrible? I think they are my favourite couple ever. They are stand out, one of a kind just the fricken best there is.
Close to you is just a short journey into Stacia Kane's brilliant dystopian urban fantasy series.
We get a crazy bride, a junk yard and almost like a sick and twisted Christmas horror at one point....with a twisted ghostly Santa and a Carpenters song that will stay stuck in your head for the rest of the day.. And of course we
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

Short story. Chess/Terrible visit a car junkyard/graveyard and meet a creepy old woman there.
This was an enjoyable little read, Chess/Terrible were as cute as ever and there was quite a bit of action… And the Mrs Havisham-esque lady, her dead husband, and her christmas obsession of sorts were quite entertaining.
I hope there'll be a new Chess book soon, because this wasn't enough to satisfy me.
Nichole
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great short story. It was nice to read Chess and Terrible's reaction to a Christmas scene since it's illegal now. I love them together!
AH
Initial Thoughts: 3.0 - 3.5 stars. A very short Christmas story from the Downside Ghosts world.
I can't imagine having to listen to the Carpenter's Close to You over and over again. That is probably worse torture than having to battle a creepy old lady bent on conjuring up her ghostly husband.

The Review:
Close to You is a fairly short novella set in Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts world. The story begins rather playfully as Chess and Terrible play hide and seek in a junkyard, then in a true Downsid
Yodamom
Chess and Terrible go out on a run to pick up some parts and find themselves trapped in a Christmas not to be forgotten.
Romantic moments, nasty ghosties, danger, fondling, kissing, blood, fear and love- it's all there is this short.
Gemma
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cool short story featuring Chess and Terrible. The pair have to deal with a psycho old woman and a ghost after visiting a car junkyard. My favourite part is seeing Chess and Terrible interact and the little insights into how they feel about each other. Can't wait for the next book, read this to keep you entertained until then.
Kim  *Mo Chridhe*
That was what, 35 pages? Such a tease! Short as it was, I was happy to get a glimpse of Chess and Terrible again. Chess needs to go to rehab right now, and I need to play hide and seek with Terrible.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Available to read on Heroes and Heartbreakers for a limited time!

Isa Lavinia

That was seriously so fucking creepy, and fucked up, and Stacia Kane totally ruined that song for me forever!

And I loved it :D

Alisa
Short story featuring Chess and Terrible on Christmas. Super good as usual.
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
Close To You is such an odd combination of creepy and sweet that somehow manages to really work. Chess and Terrible are hunting for auto parts in an old auto graveyard when they come face to face with a creepy/crazy old women with some decidedly macabre holiday plans of her own. At its heart, this is a holiday love story – albeit a love story with murderous ghosts, but still kind of touching in a weird way.

I’ve never read any books in the Downsides Ghosts series, although I’ve always been meanin
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
In the interest of full disclosure, I received a copy of this book at no cost from the publisher for the purpose of review.

I am a huge fan of the Downside Ghosts series. I love the world that Stacia Kane has created for Chess, Terrible and all of the other characters. Chess is deeply flawed drug user. Terrible is a great character that has been well developed within the series.

This short story is extremely well written. I did wish that it were longer but that is just because I am greedy and want
Marsha
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Downside Ghost Fans and Adult Paranormal Romance lovers
"Hello, my name is Marsha and I am a Downside Ghost addict." I just cannot seem to get enough of the sexploits of Terrible and Chess. "Close to You" is a creepy little tale of Chess and Terrible's adventure while looking for a part for his Chevelle.

After locating the part they need in an auto graveyard, they beging hearing Karen Carpenter's song, "Close to You" eerily playing over and over in the distance. Just when they are ready to leave a creepy old lady named, Eliza, who is dressed in a tat
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

CLOSE TO YOU is a holiday themed novella set in the Downside Ghosts world. It’s not going to be your typical holiday story though. This is Downside we’re talking about. It’s far more creepier and a little sexier than you think. But that isn’t a complaint because I thoroughly enjoyed this little taste to tide us over to the next book.

Chess and Terrible (*swoon*) get caught up in a very creepy situation on Christmas Eve. Miss Havisham is a woman who loves in the extremes. She is adamant about spe
Jessie Potts
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an in-between-books short, Downside Ghosts No. 5.5, to be specific. It's a fun peek into Chess and her ghost-banishing skills. I think you should definitely read the rest of the series first, but if you don't mind reading between the lines, it's a fun bit of magic. Chess and Terrible (boyfriend) go to an abandoned auto junkyard and run into some trouble and a crazy wife who is willing to do anything to reunite with her dead husband.

This short has romance, steam, angry people and crazy gh
Susana
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it

As per norm, once it ended, i just wanted more to read!! (I'm greedy like that!)

More Chess and Terrible, please!

As usual with the Downside stories, this one was scary, filled with insane characters and a lot of gory details...and you know what i was thinking throughout the whole thing:
Aw, they're so sweet, and cute! I missed you guys!!

I'm hopeless!;)
Kelly
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Aww. I love Chess and Terrible. They both have issues but they complement each other so nicely.

This was a fun little peek back into the Downside world. Chess and Terrible stumble onto something unexpected and get a glance into both a forgotten tradition and an undying love. <3 it!

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Close to You was a free read through Heroes and Heartbreakers on 09/20/13 and was read for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Close to You from St. Martin's Press via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Very quick, and action-filled story. I love every second I can get in Chess and Terrible's company :) I just hope that ending is not foreshadowing!!

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Leea
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a fun snippet into Chess and Terrible during the holidays... it's not what you expect and you get a little bit of Chessibomb and Terrible being in love and together. It was fantastic!

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jenne
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great Chess and Terrible novella! This one is a Christmas story and was very enjoyable. Chess and Terrible are one of my all time favorite couples and their love is so believable to be a work of fiction. Recommend this one for any Downside fan!
Shelley
Jul 16, 2013 marked it as to-read
*Recvd via NetGalley 10/21/2013 - Published: October 8th 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks
.chel.
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wishing there was a Chapter 5 ...
Liz
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short, para-norm, uf
Weird, reading a Christmas story now, but I can never get enough Chess and Terrible!
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
Love Chess and Terrible! And this little novella was a great little read. I just wish the next book was out soon.
Tatiana
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Too short to pay $1.99 for and much less satisfying than Kane's other shorts.
Liz
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get enough of the 'downside' series when it was first published, but after book 2 it started to go 'downhill' & wasn't worth the bother. What a shame.
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)

At A Glance
Loved the creepiness, but was too short to really get into.

The Good
I will never think of the song "Close to You" by the Carpenters the same way again. I love that song but now it just creeps me out. Just imagine, walking through an abandoned junkyard at night with the song "Close to you" playing over and over again. CREEPY! I straight up got the chills. And the old crazy woman made me even more nervous. You know right away she is not r
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
Check out the discussion AH and I had about Close to You at BadassBookReviews.com!

Close to You was a fun little stop back in the Downside Ghosts universe, but it was just so short! I want more now, please Stacia Kane?!?

Chess and Terrible are at a junk yard on Christmas Eve when they suddenly become unwitting pawns in a ghost summoning. A woman is trying to summon the ghost of her dead husband and when she realizes Chess is a church witch, she captures both Chess and Terrible to help power her sp
Pam
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’m not usually a fan of novellas, or short stories, unless they are part of a series that I follow. This one is. It’s actually part 5.5 of Stacia Kane’s Downside Ghosts series. So I really don’t think that this one is a stand-alone book. I think the reason I enjoyed it so much was because I already knew the characters well before going into it.

So Chess and Terrible are at a junkyard trying to get some free car parts when they are approached by a creepy old woman who wants money for the parts. A
Katie_la_geek

Quite a few years ago I read a book called Unholy Ghosts, the first book in Stacia Kane's Downside Ghosts series and I absolutely loved it. It was dark, gritty and at times plain gross which is everything I love in an Urban Fantasy book. Yet despite falling in love with it I never carried on with this series. Other books just seemed to fall in my lap and despite wanting too I never got round to buying the second book.

I probably should not have read Close to you considering that it is book number
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • The Thing About Weres (Mystwalker, #2)
  • Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2)
  • Darkest Powers Bonus Pack 2 (Darkest Powers Trilogy #3.5, 3.6)
  • Soul Trade (Black London, #5)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • The Ghosts of Bourbon Street  (InCryptid, #3.1)
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Behind the Scandal (Reluctance, #2)
  • Magic Bites - Fernando's (Curran POV #2)
Stacia Kane is the author of the light-hearted romantic urban fantasy "Megan Chase" series starting with PERSONAL DEMONS.

She currently writes the gritty dystopian urban fantasy "Downside" series starring Chess Putnam and featuring ghosts, human sacrifice, drugs, witchcraft, punk rock, and a badass '69 Chevelle. She bleaches her hair and wears a lot of black.

Downside Ghosts (6 books)
  • Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)