Start by marking “On Her Own (Brides of Webster County, #2)” as Want to Read:
On Her Own (Brides of Webster County, #2)

On Her Own (Brides of Webster County #2)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  987 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Barbara Zook was devastated when her husband David was killed. Will she be able to raise their four young boys and manage her beloved David's harness store on her own? When harness maker Paul Hilty arrives in Webster County, Missouri, he finds himself agreeing to help run Barbara's shop. Things are going fairly well until widower Bishop John Frey comes a-courting Barbara, ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Barbour Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Her Own

Rachel Brand
This was a fairly average romance, pretty much like Mills & Boon or Harlequin set in an Amish community with a Christian emphasis. I normally really enjoy the Amish genre - especially Amy Clipston and Beverly Lewis - but this is the first of Brunstetter's novels that I've read and I can't say that it's up to the standards I'm used to. This little book was only 170-odd pages long, my first clue that there wasn't much to the story, and had a fairly predictable plot. Due to the shortness of the ...more
Jerry
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
More great Amish romance; this series is fun and uplifting.
Katherine Beaver
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another good one...I like reading in the series and how she keeps the same characters. I'd prefer not so much time to pass between the books though.
This one was Barbara (Faith's friend from book 1) 10 years in future, grown up, recently widowed.
Julie
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting to learn about Amish love, but not real indepth character development. I might be being generous with my rating.
Dru
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a while all the Amish books get to be about the same. This is the second in this series and it is very much like the first. This author is OK.
Sammie Mays
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
This is the second book in the Brides of Webster County series. I enjoyed this read as much as book 1 in the series. I was taken with all of the families in this series from the very start. The characters seem so alive and it's easy to place yourself in Webster County with them. Book 2 deals with a widow named Barbara who is raising four sons by herself and with the help of her family after her husband David dies unexpectedly. She loves working in their harness shop but is not physically able to ...more
Janet Crandell
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: amish-fiction
Barbara Zook lost her husband David. They ran a harness shop together. After giving birth to their son a few months after Davids death, she is too weak and too tired to run the harness shop eventhough she wants to provide for her 4 children.

Paul Hilty, who now lives in Lancaster, PA, returns home for the death of his brother. Paul works in a harness shop in PA. While home, he agrees to help out at Zooks Harness Shop until Barbara is back on her feet.

Will Paul's attraction wake up in him a desir
Gabrielle
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barbara Zook lost her husband David in a buggy accident on their anniversary. She is left with three boys and a new born which she calls David after her husband. A year or so after her husbands death she is still alone and is really not looking for a man in her life. Then one day Paul comes back and he starts falling for the widow. Soon after that Bishop John Frey is looking for a "mother" for his four daughters. Barbara doesn't know what to do or who to choose. I am a sucker for Amish books and ...more
Terri Tinkel
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, amish, children
This is a simply written story about the Amish. It was interesting even though it was easy to figure out what was going to happen. However, there were some pieces of Amish traditions that were interesting. I could picture the characters and enjoyed reading through the story. It's a good book for a few hours of relaxtion. No big traumatic events ~ no heavy sex ~ no swearing.
JeniReadABook
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good story, but it didn't grab ahold of me as strongly as the first book in the series did. By the time the main characters finally came around it felt rather anti-climatic. Not a bad book, but I hope the next book in the series will offer characters that draw me in as much as Noah and Faith did in the first book.
Donna
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an autographed copy of this book from Wanda. It is the second in the series, and was a good book. Barbara and Paul had a lot of hurdles to cross when he came to help in her harness shop. Bishop John wasn't any help either a very selfish man to be a bishop. As with all of Wanda's books it was a fast read and very enjoyable, finished it at 2:00am this morning.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Barbara is Amish. Her husband has been killed and she is trying to raise 3 boys and a baby she just had. She is also trying to run her husband's harness shop. Paul comes home for his uncle's funeral and hears about Barbara; he offers to help in the shop until she is back on her feet. Feelings begin even though they are very different from each other. God works to bring these two together.
Smilinhere
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Do not read the first page in the book ... unless you want to know the 'story' ... all thought it is pretty predictable kind of romance with a twist. The extra 'love interest' of another man brings an interesting twist.

Helen
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book as are all of Wanda Brunstetters books- Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter first two Amish fiction writers I started reading- have read every book that Wanda Brunstetter has written- and never had one that I didnt absolutely love!!!!! I would defintely give it a 5 star rating!!!
Laurie Mcclure
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Amish books, and the simplicity of their ways.
Susan Cherry
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Lisa Brodsky
A nice quick read, but very predictable.
Shelly Lampereur
I love reading all her books. All I can say is that they are all excellent reads
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love amish stories. Expecially when their not about someone getting pregnant and not married, or always running away form their faith. This was a wholesome and inspiring book.
Rita Mcallister davidson
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Barbara's husband died before she gave birth to their last child. Her Dad was helping in the harness shop. A good read.
Judy Wollenweber
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a good series
Crosbee
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
not quite as good as the first one, but pretty close.
Autumn Golob
Aug 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Good, short, don't have to think love story with no bad stuff in it!
Michelle
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
A delightfully light read that wound itself quietly around the Amish faith.
Rose
Apr 10, 2008 added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Bru
Natalie Widener
A very enjoyable read!
Debbie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
All of her books are good clean books about life in an Amish community, and human nature.
Jc
Dec 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was good. Not great but pretty good.
Darlene Wilson
Aug 01, 2008 rated it liked it
The first I've read of Brustetter -- enjoyable homey old story of Amish life --
Linda Dudgeon
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Nice story..quick read..nice change of pace...interested because it is set in Missouri and wanted to learn more about Amish life...would read more of the series
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Rebecca's Choice (Adams County, #3)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wanda’s ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith, a
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Brides of Webster County (4 books)
  • Going Home (Brides of Webster County,#1)
  • Dear to Me (Brides of Webster County, #3)
  • Allison's Journey (Brides of Webster County, #4)
“God gave people tear ducts for a good reason, and folks shouldn't be too stubborn to use them.” 3 likes
“Our faith teaches us that when our time on earth is over, God will call us home no matter what. We just need to accept His will and move on with life.” 0 likes