Start by marking “Everyman” as Want to Read:
Everyman

Everyman

Ian Covey is a doppelganger. A mimic. A shapeshifter. He can replace anyone he wants by becoming a perfect copy; taking the victim’s face, his home, his family. His life. No longer a man, but a hungry void, Ian Covey is a monster.
David Tirado is a massive, hideous colony organism, a gestalt entity. The sum of Covey’s discarded parts. A roiling, chaotic patchwork of vast a
Published June 20th 2013 by Books of the Dead Press

To ask other readers questions about Everyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyman

Start your review of Everyman
Bracken
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Justin Robinson's Everyman melds persona switching with the body horror subgenre and taps not only into the fear of losing one's identity and bodily integrity, but also turns an eye on materialism and how the things we love most become a literal extension of us, often to our detriment. On top of that he's crafted a uniquely nasty villain who desires to be anyone (and everyone) but can't escape his own repulsive nature. Although not as absurdist as Cronenberg, this book is tailor made for anyone ...more
Weston Kincade
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first picked up Everyman, I was reminded of the morality play with the same name. While there are underlying themes that are similar, Justin Robinson’s story stands on its own. Using a rich, vivid writing style, Robinson has created a tale of horror, mystery, and intrigue that will keep you reading, and guessing, until the final page. With characters torn by indecision and uncertainty, Everyman will leave you enthralled.
Julie
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm always into a creature or entity that isn't explored much, to see where the author takes it and how unique he or she can make it. Robinson takes the doppleganger, and gives it a wholly unique spin, and gives us a point of view that I have seen nothing like before. I just kept turning pages, waiting to see where it would go next, and more importantly, what Justin Robinson would do to keep this story as individual and tense as he did from beginning to end. I was truly fascinated by the storyli ...more
Mark Matthews
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyman is a wild, bizarre story, written by an author who seems to me uniquely L.A. The novel starts with a typical 'everyman' of L.A., trying to break in to the movie business, walking home to his typical L.A. courtyard apartments. Then everything gets bizarre, the reader notices flesh growing like a tumor over their kindle, and they're in for a unique ride. Like the characters in the novel, you slowly start to realize what is happening. By the time you do, something physically has changed.

Th
Leila
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm still torn on whether or not I prefer Robinson's horror or his noir/comedy/snark. Either way, this is another shining example of the amazing command he has over scene setting and creep factor.

There's something deeply unsettling about the antagonist, and it's something you pick up on as soon as he's introduced. It wasn't until I read this novel that I had any sort of fear of seeing my own doppelganger turn around, smile at me, and disappear into my apartment; shutting me out of my own life.
S. Wideman
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think this thing ate my review. Second time's a charm.

Sad to say, I did not like this book. It was too wordy for me. And since this was not the longest book I've ever read, I should probably explain that. There are pages and scenes and nearly whole chapters that are nothing but inner monologue and scenery chewing. It would go on for so long that I needed something to break it up - action or dialog. I felt it really dragged the book down. And I really wanted to like this book. I read it all the
J.C. Michael
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a fellow Books of the Dead Press author I read an advance copy of this.

Everyman is a complex novel with none of the usual vampires, werewolves, zombies, or demons, but rather a uniquely "talented" villain who is repugnant, yet pitiable.

As this "man" searches for some form of fulfilment he transforms into an exact duplicate of his victims, stealing their lives, and loves, whilst leaving them as unrecognisable shadow of themselves. Shadows called together as a single, monstrous, entity, hidden
Anthony
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
First impressions: this is a really great HORROR novel. Like something HP Lovecraft or Stephen King might have written had they had a slightly different edge to them--or had either of them been the product of Los Angeles.

Justin Robinson crafts a true page turner about the nature of identity, need and the human need to be loved--what some can become to fill that need, and how others can literally lose their identity because of it.

This is identity theft on a level that John Carpenter might approve
Ash
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*Contains Spoilers*
Loved it.
Robinson has a knack for horror, and I hope to read more books of this genre from him. Vivid and detailed, his books are more than just blood and gore. They get you thinking about more philosophical notions.
EVERYMAN in particular was an unnerving book. And had me questioning what makes up our identity. Is it the material possessions that we surround ourselves with, or (view spoiler) our actual selves that we prize and covet. What
Mana Taylor-Hall
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark
Looking around a room and seeing no one you know is bad. Worse is when people's eyes slide past you, not able or willing to see you. Not wanting to see you because you don't belong and acknowledging you would force them to accept the stranger in their midst. In Robinson's Everyman, that would happen, only it would happen in a room full of people that should recognize you. Your mother, your wife, your best friend. All ripped away, not by death but because who you are has been stolen.

Everyman look
Xavier Granville
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very scary stuff! It reminded me a lot of a David Cronenberg or David Lynch film.

Lots of frightening passages and images. I'd recommend this to anyone who is fed up with the atypical slasher horror film type of book. This one is scary at very core of it, and keeps on twisting as it goes on.

The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the ending, which was good, but not finished in a way that I was satisfied with.

Overall, very good in the end and worth recommending if you're in the mood for somet
Penny
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a horror novel about identity, about the sense of self, about what it means to be removed from your own life. Imagine Invasion of the Bodysnatchers with only one all too human bodysnatcher, set in slow motion, gamboling through other people’s lives and intimacies. Imagine the realization that the person you thought you knew has been replaced. Imagine the isolation of being cast out of your life to wander in isolation while someone else wears your clothes and your face.

Imagine the rush o
H.L. Cherryholmes
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Mr. Robinson, having read several of his other books. Everyman intrigued me because it seemed to be a straight up horror novel. And it was, but although there is a monster in the book, so much more about it is even more frightening. In these days of headlines screaming about computer hacking, losing your identity is terrifying enough but to lose your face! I was pulled in immediately. Everyman is surprising. I've never read a horror novel that is ultimately about finding yourse ...more
Scott
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm reluctant to say too much, I have no desire to spoil the many unexpected turns this novel takes. This is Justin Robinson's unique blend of horror, much akin in tone to his previous novel "Dollmaker." Here, the blend of urban fantasy, body horror and serial killer tones will easily appease the horror fan, while his take on the question of identity will appease the armchair philosopher in all of us. (Plus it will straight up creep you out.)
John Taff
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Everyman, Justin Robinson tells the story of identity theft taken to the extreme. His writing is clean and lovely, with descriptions that linger. The story is at once extremely odd and strangely familiar, like Robinson's eerie, lonely, deadly mimic. In the end, this book will have you thinking about how much you really know anyone at all, no matter how close they are to you.
Caroline
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Body horror at its finest
Jessica
Aug 14, 2014
Vilson Lu
Mar 28, 2016
Renata
rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2014
Gail Lindon
Sep 03, 2018
Kate Sherrod
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes, really five stars! Write up soon on my blog.
Jesse Kingsley
Oct 21, 2014
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Oct 12, 2013
Much like film noir, Justin Robinson was born and raised in Los Angeles. He splits his time between editing comic books, writing prose and wondering what that disgusting smell is. Degrees in Anthropology and History prepared him for unemployment, but an obsession with horror fiction and a laundry list of phobias provided a more attractive option.