Start by marking “Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)” as Want to Read:
Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)

Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More

(Rock Your Writing #4)

Do you want to write more novels?

Maybe you’re having trouble finding time to write in a busy, jam-packed week.

Maybe you’re exhausted when you do manage to carve out some time to write.

Or maybe, when you’ve got the time and energy, you either waste time and then wonder where the day went… or you face a blank page, unable to type “anything decent.”
Pinpoint what’s stopping yo
Published June 20th 2013 by Rock Your Writing

To ask other readers questions about Write Every Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write Every Day

Start your review of Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
Diane Callaway
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any book that encourages you to write is a good book. I read this years ago and it encouraged me to get back to doing what I wanted to do.
Rose
This wasn't as helpful of a guide as I thought it would be. The advice is motivational, but honestly too simple and wasn't helpful to building process of working through blocks and also the writing process to use the most.

Rachel Aaron's "2K to 10K" is probably a better investment for the price for more concrete examples and expansion on actually writing more in a given frame of time and motivation, and it's actually referred in this book as a reference.

Overall score: 2/5 stars
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this ebook because while I'm a fast writer in general, I haven't been getting as much writing done as I'd like. Cathy Yardley's Write Every Day helped me tackle some of my issues when it comes to writing (in my case, it's not that I don't have enough time, though she goes generously into detail about how to carve out your time and make it sacred, to yourself and others) and then practical tips on how to keep writing, making it sustainable and part of a daily habit that is blocked out. I ...more
Carrie Daws
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick read and a good reference guide. She emphasizes that writing is both a mindset AND a set of processes, and they vary from writer to writer. She goes over some of the common problem areas and roadblocks to getting words out of your head and on to paper, including recommendations of other books to read for the areas that most inhibit you.
Robin Tzucker
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was honestly one of the most useful books on writing/productivity I've ever read. It's a quick read (which was a plus for me) and yet is packed with a ton of valuable information, exercises, and suggestions. The examples Cathy gives are both realistic as well as useful (especially for those of us with day jobs and/or kids).

The book is organized in a way that makes total sense, and leads you through various roadblocks you might be dealing with.

From the book:
1. It will help you identify wh
Donald Plugge
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, learning
I have to agree with a few of the lesser reviews that the book is quite general and does not break any new ground. I liked it for two reasons. First, it did cover a lot of ground, so it helped you identify the problem areas in your own writing. Most likely if you are stuck, Cathy has experienced something close to what is holding you back and gives her solution.

The second reason I like the book is for its reference material. Cathy identifies resources and processes as a starting point for you t
Alicia
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Jack of all trades, master of none. The book is broad with its advice, so there are different plans of action depending on what you're currently struggling with. There are some helpful tips and exercises which can help you identify what's keeping you from writing more (maybe what you think is your most productive writing time isn't), but because the book addresses so many different problems none get the attention they really need.

I borrowed this book from Amazon's prime library, and I would rec
Julia
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I get sick of, just do it stupid, way of thinking. This book is helpful, really! Brought me out of dreaming of being a writer, and now its feels like I am. It's just a mater of time now. loved it
J.R. Hart
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers looking to free up time for writing
Like most of Yardley's books on writing as a craft, this one wasn't new or revolutionary. In many ways, it compiled tips from other great systems to create something new. But there were some things this book really had going for it that made it a 5-star for me.

-The book was a quick read. There are tons of time-saving books or books about writing faster or writing more, but they're so long that they pull you out of writing for large chunks. To me, a lot of them end up being good, but time that co
Van Lesley
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is for all writers regardless of career level. I felt as if the author was speaking to me personally. Three of the four obstacles that keep authors from writing really hit home for me.
1. Time and not having enough of it or not managing it well.
2. Energy and not having enough and not managing it well.
3. Process and not being aware of what works for you.
I was impressed with this audio book. The message, suggestions and advice were on POINT. I've even purchased Rock Your Plot.
OMGreatnes,
Xavier Jenkins
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As an aspiring want-to-write sort, I need some guidance. I wanted this to be a step-by-step manual. And to a degree it was. However, it proved to be more of what I needed than I realized. Apparently (insert snark here) there's a mindset AND a process to getting what's in my head onto paper. The mechanics of this are quite specific. And the amount of work was a mystery. Both the work and mechanics are clearer to me now. And I'm happy to note that I'm less scared than when I knew nothing and had n ...more
Koen Wellens
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
Write Every Day does not give you writing advice. It does not focus on topics like character development or editing. Instead, it focuses on trying to write. What are things that stop you from writing? And at what moments are you able to connect the letters to form reasonable sentences? These questions are the ones you need to answer.

Read the full review at my blog.
Kirstie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short but good read which delves both into time management and mindset to help you write more. As Yardley herself states it can get a bit 'woo-woo' (translate: hippy dippy) but for the most part it's clear and actionable advice. I can see myself coming back and re-reading parts and working my way through the whole book over the next months (once the kids are back at school anyway ;p )
Tonia Harris
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another writing book I'll return to again and again. Full of sound and practical advice, Yardley once again shares a workable system. Are you struggling with time to write, fear, or lack of energy once you sit in front of the blank page? This book may well point you in the right direction.
Luke Parker
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I use a similar process to identify issues, but it's cool to have it all in one little book for reference.
Lela BEcker
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent coaching advice for any writer at any level
Wilani Wahl
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very helpful. If I want to be a writer. I must write everyday. This makes so much sense. It was a helpful encouragement.
Scott Wozniak
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a focused, practical book on how to write longer and more often. The best insight for me was that you can find yourself slowed/blocked for different reasons: practical time challenges, fear challenges, or writing process challenges. The solutions to handle them weren't unique, but they do work.

And I think you can apply this basic productivity insight to more than writing. It could be too much on the plate (or scheduled at the wrong time). It could be fear of failure/self-doubt. Or it co
Erin
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. What writer doesn't want to find a way to be more productive? And what writer can't come up with a million ad one reasons why they aren't writing? Write Every Day takes those excuses and helps you work through what's keeping you from writing more. More importantly, this book is realistic. I can't stand the books that tell me to take a notebook with me everywhere I go so I can write while I'm standing in line at the grocery store. This book recognizes that for most of ...more
Amelia
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
This book outlined a thorough and compassionate approach to getting your writing life on track. There's nothing really new here but it covers everything, including the too-often-neglected area of energy management. The author advocates blocking in time for self-care and replenishment before writing time, which seems to me like a healthier approach than the more common advice to just do more more more all the time, skip sleep to write, etc. I would recommend this book for anyone who is struggling ...more
Michele Mathews
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a book to help me write faster. I seem to get easily distracted with other things and keep procrastinating with my writing. Yardley has good ideas in this book. I read through it this time rather quickly, but with a book like this, I usually read through it again and take notes, which I will do again soon. She gave me another book to check into, and I will do that as well.
Brother Nero
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a short little book that gives helpful tips on dealing with stress, writer's block, and time management. If you're an avid reader of personal development or writing books, you're probably not going to discover anything you haven't heard before. That being said, it's a nice short read and a handy little resource book.
LaCharmine (L.A.) Jefferson
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I purchased this on audible and I found it to be helpful. That could be because I'm a very slow writer with no process whatsoever so I found it pretty motivational. I enjoyed the exercise of tracking my time. Having it on my audible app is the best because I can get some quick motivation over commutes to and from work.
Shaun Gill
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book had some good information in it. It was like a brainstorm of ideas. My problems with the book was that she would often throw in unnecessary words that did not add to the content. For an informational book, those extra words should be left out.

I am not sorry that I read it, as it was short and told me some things that I did not know or previously think of.
Anna
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down! It is so entertaining. He teaches how to write using his snowflake method using the settings of the most memorable childhood fictional characters to make his instructions come alive and be easily understood. The story is not just a how-to book; it's a cute active story that keeps moving along.
Carlos
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Super cool book not just on writing but on the overall process of getting through the thing that holds people back, fear.

I liked it because of the concrete examples on how to streamline and manage your time efficiently so you can bust pages out. She also referenced other writing books which was a plus.

Read this along with Chris Fox's Write 5000 words a day!
Lori
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
The audiobook had some good tips, but I think I would've been better served with a print copy. Cathy has a website, rockyourwriting.com, that I think would be a great resource to refer to.

This is good tool for when I need to coach a writer.
Paul
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Some interesting concepts and thoughts on writing. I enjoyed it but there is nothing really groundbreaking there. I figure it depends on who you are and where you are. I can easily see this book being a major help for writers, pro and amateur.
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Full of great ideas and pointers to other people with good ideas to get you writing. Also made me laugh out loud when she described a day full of not getting any writing done. Unfortunately, mirrored many of my days :)
Jessi Dazzo
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book is great to help get a writing routine in place and to work through what's keeping you from writing! Great book. I would definitely recommend to any writer that is struggling.

• 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • The Ten Day Outline: A Writer's Guide to Planning a Novel in Ten Days
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Save the Cat: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
  • When God Says "Go"
  • Fair Game (A Fair to Remember #2)
  • The Heartbeat at Your Feet: A Practical, Compassionate New Way to Train Your Dog
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Ten Day Draft: A Writer's Guide to Finishing A Novel in Ten Days
  • The Ten Day Edit: A Writer's Guide to Editing a Novel in Ten Days
  • Becoming God's True Woman
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • A Bride So Fair (A Fair to Remember #3)
  • No More Faking Fine: Ending the Pretending
  • Even Tree Nymphs Get the Blues (Mystic Bayou, #2.5)
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
Cathy Yardley is an award-winning author of romance, chick lit, and urban fantasy, who has sold over 1.2 million copies of books for publishers like St. Martin's, Avon, and Harlequin. She writes fun, geeky, and diverse characters who believe that underdogs can make good and that sometimes being a little wrong is just right.

Rock Your Writing (6 books)
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • Rock Your Revisions: A Simple System for Revising Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #2)
  • Rock Your Query: A Simple System for Writing Query Letters and Synopses (Rock Your Writing, #3)
  • Painless Promotion: Strategy: A Simple System for Marketing Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #5)
  • Painless Promotion: Genre & Voice: Figuring Out Your Genre, Finding Your Voice (Rock Your Writing, #6)

News & Interviews

“I hate when instruction books, blogs or well-meaning friends tell you “just get over it!” or “just write!”   Like that didn’t occur to you. Like all it would take is someone pointing out that say, you should just stop doing that thing you’ve been doing all your life.   “You mean I should just sit down and write? My God, that’s brilliant! Why have I not thought of this before? Thank you, oh sage guru!” 1 likes
“Don’t go to the hardware store for bread.” 0 likes