Start by marking “Just My Luck (Escape to New Zealand, #5)” as Want to Read:
Just My Luck (Escape to New Zealand, #5)

Just My Luck (Escape to New Zealand #5)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,848 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
A little distraction can be a wonderful thing.

Nate Torrance has a job to do, and the biggest rugby boots in the world to fill. He can’t afford to lose his focus, especially not to a brown-eyed Canadian who pushes all his buttons and looks much too good in a climbing harness.

Allison Villiers may not know what she wants to do with her life, but she’s clear about one thing. S
Published July 11th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Just My Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just My Luck

KB Wayne
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I really do adore the author's writing, her ability to transport us to other places (or "time," as in Welcome to Paradise), and her keen attention to detail while never making it feel instructional or pandering. I'd read and greatly enjoyed all in her previous Escape to New Zealand series so it was an absolute "duh" to get this one tout de suite.

There are two main characters, Ally, a Canadian-American, and Nate, the (new) All Blacks (national rugby team) captain, and two lesser charact
Pamela
Jul 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
This has to be the weakest and the least enjoyable book in the "Escape to New Zealand" series. The story was way too long, not to mention boring beyond belief. Ally and Nate's story just went on forever! Half-way thru the novel I had no choice but to start skimming thru quickly just to end my misery. I also have to say that while I did like both Kristen and Liam, including their story, I absolutely hated both Ally and Nate. As for their story, it just didn't work for me. They both came across as ...more
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

Just My Luck starts off with strong Pride and Prejudice influences. There are two couples stories here - Ally and Nate (the main couple), and Kristen and Liam. Kristen is the recently divorced sister of Hannah from Just This Once. She was headed to New Zealand to try and heal from her divorce and such and convinced Ally to come with her for a year for a bit of adventure. Nate and Liam are both rugby players for the All Blacks, Nate being the new captain. I love the setting and the rugby
Jan130
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This one had two cute romance pairs in one book. Double value LOL.
Angi
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this one just as much as the first 4...I'm not sure which of the guys was hotter: Mako or Toro! Either way it was great to see how they both struggled with getting into a relationship and how it affected there careers and future.
Honeyeater
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was too boring to continue on with. DNF
Tina
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed the Rosalind James series Escape to New Zealand. There are 5 books in all, and each one tells a unique story of a relationship blossoming from first introduction on. The first book is Hannah and Drew’s story. It is arguably the slowest of the 5, providing the New Zealand setting and the Rugby football instruction. While the slowest of the 5, it is in no ways a negative on the book itself. In book one, Hard working Hanna meets hard working Drew, and together they learn that ...more
SheLove2Read
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I have loved the previous books in this series but I have to say this was a letdown. There are two stories running concurrently in this book - Allie and Nate's along with Kristen and Liam's. Allie and Kristen are roomies and Nate and Liam are players on the same rugby team.

Allie was selfish and arrogant when she had no right to be. Nate was a bit self centered but not a bad guy, he just had his priorities in the wrong place. I disliked Allie almost from the start and by the end of the book, coul
Lyuda
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Oh, my! I think I had escapes too many with the series. Here is what you find reading the stories:
1. New Zealand is a paradise on Earth
2. The only men worth considering in the paradise are the rugby players because they are:
• The most intelligent
• The most sensitive and hardworking
• Best looking on the outside (most of them) and inside (all of them)
• Sex gods who can change any woman to a sex kitten willing to try anything
• Great in bed despite all the hard work and bruising they receive on the
Melindeeloo
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a twofer romance story.

I loved Liam and Kristen's second chance story, it was slow and sweet. 4 stars for them

The story between Nate and Ally was good up to a point, and then I got sort of mad at both of them. Him for treating her so poorly and her for letting him squeeze her into the very small spaces in his life - and for caving and forgiving him so easily, she really needed to take some lessons from Kristen and he really needed to do some major groveling. 2.5 stars = pretty good for
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
2.5 STARS

This was my least favourite book in the series. We are given two couples stories that should have been split, but the author may have been running out of ideas. In any case the bulk of the book was with Nate and Ally with a bit of Liam and Kristin thrown in for luck.

Thankfully the author seems to have run out of history lessons however the game of rugby was still being explained to me. To be honest I am quite happy the series has finished as unfortunately this series just didn't gel wit
Bungluna
I found this story disappointing. I've enjoyed all the other rugby romance books I've read by this author but this one left me dissatisfied. Nate and Allie just didn't spell HEA for me. He's a immature jerk and she's a whinny girl. I liked Kristen and Liam's story much better. Wish that had been the principal arc in this novel.
Anna
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A little blah, and honestly I almost gave up on it. Two love stories is really too much for one book. And, honestly, I didn't like the main one at all. The only thing I liked about this book was the rock-climbing --- the protagonist's passion for the sport really came through and I almost felt the need to hunt down a climbing wall and try it myself. Almost....
Kelsey Bowen
Good, but Ally was probably my least favorite of all female protagonists Rosalind has written about. I definitely didn't hate her; I found her likeable most of the time. I'm not sure I can peg exactly what it was.
Puna
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely the least enjoyable book in the series. Should have ended after book #4. Liked Liam, Kris was okay but the two main leads annoyed me. Childish and whiny.
Alison
I have totally binge read a good proportion of Rosalind James' back catalogue over the New Year break after receiving a copy of one of her books (Take Me Back) from NetGalley and realising that I had only read a couple of her Escape to New Zealand series previously.

As a result I am copying and pasting part of this review into the other books. The Escape to New Zealand series is a set of romances featuring players from New Zealand's All Blacks rugby team. All the books are full of En Zed (how the
E-Reader Addict
Just My Luck is book five in Rosalind James’ Escape to New Zealand series. And once again, we’re treated to another story that truly makes me want to escape to New Zealand! In this book, we have the story of two couples...

Nate Torrence is the new captain of New Zealand’s All Blacks rugby team. He has big shoes to fill - Drew Callahan (from book one in the series), the most beloved rugby star in all of the country, has now retired - and Nate is feeling massive amounts of pressure to keep the team
Emma
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read worse books but just because this is not the worst doesn't mean I enjoyed it at all - 1*

I enjoyed most of the prior books in the series. So far they have all been some variety of foreign girl in New Zealand meeting and falling for a member of the All Blacks. Sure it is a bit repetitive but they have been pleasant and the people not too OTT other than being the best rugby players in the world and pretty near perfect.

This outing has 2 romances. The secondary one was actually quite lov
Malinda
3-3.5 stars

This was a good story. I liked Ally and Nate and there was an added bonus in this book of a secondary romance between Kristen (sister of Hannah, heroine from Just This Once) and Liam (another Rugby player) which was nice.

Ally has a degree in Math but never really liked the idea of working behind a desk and prefers outdoor activities. She started working in a climbing gym years ago and loves it so she's kept doing that. The problem is she doesn't make much money doing it. She was invol
MB (What she read)
In this book:
Liam and Kate's story was cute. However, I thought Nate was a jerk and Alli was stupid and without backbone to stick around and let herself get used by him.

In this series:
As always, there's not enough groveling at the end by the badly behaving male to make me feel too excited about their supposed HE. In reality, someone who'd treat his woman like they are prone to do, is not going to magically stop that pattern of behavior later. If these couples were in real life, we'd be seeing a
Meels
Well, it's a two for one deal. I loved the Kristen/Liam story, but as the Ally/Nate story seemed to take up more space, and it was a little annoying, this is my least favorite of the series. In fact, I think they've all been 4 stars till now...

Basically, Ally is a doormat. And, Nate is a selfish ass. You get your HEA, but by then you don't really like them much as people, so it lacks a little of its shine.
Carly Kirk
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the main character's romance well enough, I think I would have like it if the secondary romance had actually been the one focused on because with what he (Mako) had already overcome in his life and what she (Kristen) was working on to better herself were way more interesting to me than what was going on with Nate and Ally. Nate was basically a work in progress while Mako was amazing. Ah well, still a decent read.
Rayna
My least favourite of all the NZed books so far. Both could have had their own books and they could have been done better than they had been. The plots were rushed and the characters were poorly developed because the time and attention was not given to their growth throughout the book. As it sits, I'm still at a loss as to why both Ali and Nate are the way they are.
Sherry
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Good book

Just like like the others. There's a formula so i have to put space between them otherwise i just skip through them. I do love the characters, and there were two HEAs in this one.
Lauren Clarke
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this installment in the series. It was really good to see and get to know Hannah's sister Kristen as more than just a screw up and to see people struggling for what they want and working to make it happen. It was a bumpy ride but it was fun.
Gaby Sweet
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

It was a little slow in the beginning, but with every page it got better and better. A book full of passion, human mistakes, love, family and excitement.
Maria
Two couples... one book. Theme: redemption and growing up.
Angela
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely tears falling at the end of this one! ❤❤❤. Another OUTSTANDING book in this series! ...more
Kellison
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
Did this book change your life? 3 14 Aug 26, 2014 06:53AM
  • Kiss the Bride (Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • Sun-Kissed (Amour et Chocolat, #7; Snow Queen, #2)
  • Charmed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #2)
  • Talking Dirty With the Boss (Talking Dirty, #3)
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Chocolate Cake for Breakfast
  • Beyond Repair
  • Artistic License
  • His Tattooed Virgin (Divine Creek Ranch, #12)
  • Fallen Angel
  • Charming the Duke
  • Dangerous Curves Ahead (Perfect Fit, #1)
  • A Man And A Woman (The Lady's Tutor. #1.5)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • While It Was Snowing
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • Heart Legacy (Celta's Heartmates, #14)
Rosalind James writes contemporary romance and romantic suspense published both by Montlake Romance and independently. Her stories are set in New Zealand, Idaho, California, New York . . . really, anyplace that seems cool. (Research trips, especially those involving lots of rugby, are a bonus.) Her books are available in ebook, paperback, and audio formats. Rosalind is a former marketing executive ...more
More about Rosalind James

Escape to New Zealand (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1)
  • Just Good Friends (Escape to New Zealand, #2)
  • Just for Now (Escape to New Zealand, #3)
  • Just for Fun (Escape to New Zealand, #4)
  • Just Not Mine (Escape to New Zealand, #6)
  • Just Once More (Escape to New Zealand, #7)
  • Just in Time (Escape to New Zealand, #8)
  • Just Stop Me (Escape to New Zealand #9)
  • Just Say Yes (Escape to New Zealand, #10)
  • Just Say (Hell) No (Escape to New Zealand #11)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Four Swans: A Novel of Cornwall, 1795-1797 (Poldark)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Choice
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be