Start by marking “Dance in Shadow and Whisper (The Marionettes of Myth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance in Shadow and Whisper (The Marionettes of Myth, #1)

Dance in Shadow and Whisper

(The Marionettes of Myth #1)

Kali has always been obedient, but when she takes her first step onto a protected “humans only” high school in suburban Pittsburgh, she knows she was the wrong choice for this mission. Ever since the murder of her parents when she was too young to remember, she’s been sheltered – and trained. She can swing a sword with expert precision, but studying popular human teen maga ...more
Published June 19th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Dance in Shadow and Whisper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance in Shadow and Whisper

Dance in Shadow and Whisper by Sarah GodfreyLove Letters to the Dead by Ava DellairaAcross a Star-Swept Sea by Diana PeterfreundChampion by Marie LuAcross the Universe by Beth Revis
Cover Wars TSC
37 books — 30 voters
These Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanAcross the Universe by Beth RevisThe 5th Wave by Rick YanceyAlienated by Melissa LandersA Million Suns by Beth Revis
YA ET
64 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Miss Banana
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereading, favorites
You might be thinking "oh gosh vampires? Demons? I thought we moved on from this. Aliens are en vogue." Stop. Stop right there and go reflect on what you said because you're wrong.

In this alternate Pittsburgh, a booming supernatural metropolis where public high schools have "history" classes on non-human species and guards roam the campus toting silver bullets, demons and vampires might not be creatures of myth, but they still need to keep a low profile while masquerading as humans.

The story f
Kristin Antosz
I am a sucker for urban fantasy, and when I saw the first mention of Pittsburgh in Dance in Shadows and Whisper I was absolutely elated (thanks for the hometown lovin')! Supernatural beings? Check. Nod to the 'Burgh? Check. Promise of wit and hilarity by having displaced gods and demons cope with everyday life? Super check.

From the first page, Sarah's prose is meticulously chosen and a delight to read. Wit! Sass! Lovely prose and crazy turns! (and really epic gym class!) Have I mentioned that t
delaney
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ahh cliffhanger!!!

Dance in Shadow and Whisper starts off with our main character Kali having to go on a mission alongside Yuuhi to a high school in order to determine if that one student they are looking for, Jason, is the reincarnated Lord from centuries and centuries back.

Kali starts off as a naive, sheltered girl so seeing her maneuver through high school and social interactions was so endearing. She really grew as a character from not knowing what to do to being "Hell with you all, I'm not
Ana
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Also on my blog Chibi Reader

description

First of all, OMG OMG OMG. This… This book, guys. Oh my! The gif above is basically me when I finished Dance in Shadow and Whisper. When I reached the end of the book I couldn’t belive it had ended. I checked I don’t know how many time the percentage of book left on my Kindle but the little bar always said 100%. What?!

Anyway. Dance in Shadow and Whisper is about Kali, a demon girl (but who is a century old!) that is in charge of keeping an eye on Jason, a boy who is s
Kay
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
** Check out a lot more of my reviews over at It's a Book Life

What did I just read? No seriously, I’m totally confused. Dance in Shadow and Whisper is an enjoyable read and is a novel with an interesting take on vampires and demons, but it had my head rolling at times. I enjoyed the story and there were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, but I can’t for the life of me truly figure out exactly what I just read. I was a little bit confused for pretty much the entire book. Maybe I’m just a little
Tiff
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural who want something different :)
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
3.75

Dance in Shadow and Whisper is a dashing debut filled with an undeniable destiny, loveable characters and a wonderful writing style that will leave you wanting the second book in this saga more than air. Or at least it did for me. (I mean that ending) The characters were easy to like (except for Yuuhi, I had to learn to love him) and the setting was really cool. Kali's brothers are over protective and typical teenage boys....in their minds at least. Yeah,
This is a strange book. I wasn't sure how to rate it, as I did enjoy reading it. In the end I decided on three stars, as a few things irritated me enough that I feel the need to mention them here.

The first few chapters had me rolling my eyes almost constantly. Oh, the kooky wannabe teenager who isn't human and the other fake teenager who also isn't human, and oh they have weird names. Where have I seen this before? It's easy to fall into that trap of thinking this is just another young adult bo
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts
Original Rating: 4.5

Note: Formatting is lost due to copy and paste

Disclaimer: The authors provided a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. The review is not influenced in any way.

Basically from the first chapter, I was pretty hooked. Actually, I would say the first sentence, but that could have changed from sentence two or even sentence three.

Though if I said I nearly chucked the book across the room after sentence one, I would be
Nidoran
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Going into this book, I honestly couldn’t help but be a bit afraid. Vampires and urban fantasy aren’t quite my cup of tea (but of course, I have one very specific cup of tea and most things don’t conform to it). But despite my former precautions about the book, I tried to go with an open mind, and I’m glad I did.

The characters were all complex and well-developed, diverse, and likeable (or at least the majority were. Yuuhi may or may not have earned my disdain after dissing Guns n Roses). The plo
Elicia Cheah
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can also find this review at http://girlinthewoodsreviews.blogspot...

Detailed Review: This book was the BEST fantasy book I've ever read surrounding demons and vampires. Really it was. It just managed to suck me right into the vortex of a story and not let me go. For starters, the story is very original and intriguing. The authors' style of writing leaves you questioning on every page and you know you'll have to read on to get the answers. I also liked how the authors only chose to involve d
Isabel
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it

Goodreads Summary:
Kali unexpectedly discovers on her first day of human high school that she’s forbidden to eat or partake of the toilet during class time, the assigned history and species books look best on the shelves of popular fiction, and the boy she’s watching over is definitely a reincarnated war lord.

The highest powers of Kali’s people and the highest powers of Yuuhi’s people, irreconcilable enemies, designated them to find proof that Jason is, in fact, the reincarnated Ares.

All Yuuhi se
Kyle
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't often read contemporary, urban young adult fantasy featuring vampires and demons...but when I do, it's because it was suggested to me by my significant other.

But first, let me get it out of my system: It's a superfluous title. Took me a quarter of the book before I was even saying it correctly. The series title also is odd - wasn't feeling it at all. The other titles don't look appealing either.

Good - now that's out of my system.

Really, Dance in Shadow and Whisper is what I would describ
Kit
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Initially, I was going to give this book four stars instead of five. Mostly because I had a hard time getting through the first couple of chapters. With the supernaturals in high school setting, it was a little difficult for me to really get into what the story was going to be about. The fairly description-heavy beginning also stopped me from getting a view of the characters and the storyline.

And then (view spoiler) happened. And (view spoiler) r
Tiffany
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
The self-made cover is masterful. What's inside is even better.

Self-published by authors Godfrey and DeRubeis, Dance in Shadow and Whisper feeds you a demon and vampire-filled world with an extra side of snark.

Synopsis:

Set in a contemporary, urban fantasy, Kali is a demon who must work with Yuuhi, a vampire, in discovering whether or not the high school human (Jason) they are monitoring is superhuman.

Demons and vampires have historically been enemies, and it won't take much for their fragile
Catherine Vickers
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have debated constantly throughout this book between a 3 and 4 star review. 3.5 would be perfect, for me. However, I went with the upper end because it is actually an exciting little read.

It can be a wee bit difficult to plough through, at times. I didn't mind the changes from first to third, the story justified it and, for me, there was no confusion whatsoever with this.

I think, on a personal tone, it's the poetic wording that is constant throughout, I forget what they call it, for example
Krissys
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
If you like the Mortal Instruments series and other similar stories then you will enjoy this book.
Very obviously meant for Youth, the personalities of the characters fit in that role perfectly.
(As long as some profanity and immaturity don't bother you then continue on)
Well thought out and well executed the story builds slowly but keeps up pace once it gets going. For those that enjoy this read will definitely be investing in the next book because *spoiler* it ends on a cliffhanger.
Fun and exci
Angi
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a very well written book. It was also supremely confusing. I don't know if I liked it. There were some great aspects to the story, I really enjoyed many of the characters, but there were so many different story lines and secrets plus all of the new world rules....it was just too much at times. I want to know what happens, but I feel like too many strange things occurred during this first book, too many questions were left unanswered and it was just too confusing.
Trisha
Dec 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
"Everything in this world is always for show, Kali. That's how you survive."

This book was an interesting idea but not an execution I enjoyed. So many points of the world, creatures and/or parts of the paranormal plot that just weren't explained. It felt jarring and it made it so I was never pulled into the plot, just always frustrated that some little fact was suddenly thrown out with no explanation.

I don't plan to keep going with the series.
Grace Sain
It had a slow and confusing start

when I first started reading this book I was so confused because I felt I was dropped in the middle of a crazy battle of creatures with no explanation. through tenacious reading I discovered a really good story that has me gripping the edge of my seat. can't wait for the sequel
Holly
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this is a wonderfully magical book! I was pulled in from the start. being from Pittsburgh I was able to visualize every setting in this book. lots of action and adventure. can't wait to read the next book in this series! hold on and enjoy the ride!
RaShae Brown
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rebuy
I seriously enjoyed this book. I couldn't stop reading it. Great characters that easy to fall in love with. I was in tears during part of the book. Great writing. I'm now going to worry about the ending until I get the next book.
Erika
Aug 20, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: review-copy, ebook
I feel the need to explain why I DNF this book.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't keeping my attention either. It felt like a chore to pick it up and read it because I wasn't enjoying myself as much as I would have liked.
Dragana
Dec 30, 2013 marked it as tbr-freebies
Kindle freebie on 30th December 2013.
Liz Townsend
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
It was ok, although it ended (I thought) too abruptly.
Rosemary
Jan 05, 2014 marked it as to-read
Let me just say that this book sounds awesome! Each time I read the synopsis I want to read this book more and more.
Teresa
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I cannot wait for the next one!!!
Karen Heaston
Jan 05, 2014
K
rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Avenging Amethyst (Immortal Eyes, #1)
  • Amulet of Elusion (The Lost Amulet Chronicles, #1)
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Natural Selection (Forces of Nature, #1)
  • Keeper of the Gate
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Talus and the Frozen King
  • The Book of Prophecy
  • Blood for Wolves (A Figments Fable)
  • In the Sight of Akresa
  • Renegade (Ripper, #2)
  • The Book of Dreams
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • Girlwood
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • Annabel Horton: Lost Witch of Salem
  • Nameless: The Darkness Comes (The Bone Angel Trilogy, #1)
  • Tribute
Sarah and Victoria run the writing help blog Keyboard Smash Writers on both Tumblr and Blogspot and are the authors of the urban fantasy “Marionettes of Myth” and “Monsters of Myth” companion series. They live together in California where they regularly channel their characters in even the most mundane of situations. If ever eaves are dropped when they're out in public, there's a large chance that ...more

The Marionettes of Myth (4 books)
  • Fracture the Spider's Web (The Marionettes of Myth, #2)
  • Interlude (The Marionettes of Myth, #2.5)
  • Taste a Thousand Deaths (The Marionettes of Myth, #3)