Start by marking “The Moon is Broken!” as Want to Read:
The Moon is Broken!

The Moon is Broken!

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A simple lunar lesson belays a deeper message of acceptance and trust in The Moon is Broken!

Children learn in layers. Every day they are building upon their primary foundations of understanding. Monique B. Martin charmingly demonstrates how children view, process and learn from the world around them in The Moon is Broken!, a rhyming story written for children ages 3 to 8,
Published August 13th 2013 by Freret Media

To ask other readers questions about The Moon is Broken!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon is Broken!

Joanna Mcdowell
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently read this book to a classroom full of lively and interested first graders. As a language and cultural assistant in Madrid, Spain, I found that the students truly enjoyed the story line and the rhythmic play of words in The Moon is Broken. My students were able to relate to the story even though it is set in the U.S. and not Spain. It also helped that the illustrations were able to give the students a clear idea of what was going on whenever they encountered a word or phrase in English ...more
Jennifer Lombardi
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every child thinks the moon is broken at some point in their young life. This book goes through a young girl's dilemma when she sees that the moon is "broken." She is upset that God is not hearing her and starts to worry if God is sick! Thank goodness her mom is around to explain things to her!

This is such an adorable book! PERFECT for Christian schools or churches! This book touches a little on how God made us perfect and how he made everything perfect. It is easy to expand on this book and mak
Hilary
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cute story, which also emphasizes that God made everyone and everything perfectly. The lines didn't always quite scan, but who cares? I loved the mom's explanation and Taylor's excited, ambitious plans - so realistic!

It provides lots for potential discussion and interaction for children in the target age group (3-8, though probably more for the 3-5s), and sets a good grounding for accepting appearances.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Michelle
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little rhyming picture book. It takes a look at perfection. It's a science, creation, and perfection lesson without sounding like a lesson. The Moon is Broken by Monique B. Martin is an excellent book for all children. With the rhyming nature it reads well aloud too. Highly recommend.
Jgirl
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Younger readers
Good story, great graphics and a science lesson all in a bedtime story? That's what makes "The Moon is Broken" such a great book. I love the idea that this story and book came from the curious mind of a little girl. My daughter loved it because she always wondered about that odd shaped moon. I hope we get to hear more from this character in the future.
Beyond the Pages
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute delight! I loved, loved, loved this book...and my kids loved it too. It was a cute story that had so much within its pages. The story was elementary enough for the youngest reader, but the content was such that even older kids (7-9) could learn something. I really liked that it opened the door to discuss everything from creation to lunar patterns. Another appealing feature was the artwork. The imagery and layout of the book was bright and eye catching.

This is a great book! I ho
Jay
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm really confused by this book... I'm not sure what it's meant to be telling me. feels like there are too many messages trying to be squeezed into one small children's picture book.

are we being told that:
- the moon changes shape?
- you are perfect just the way you are?
- god made everything? & it's all perfect?
- sometimes things are too big for just you to fix, & you need to ask for help?

I'm all lost and confused by it all, so I'm not even going to bother trying to share it with my son.
i
Cathy Bordeanro
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Moon is Broken, a children's book by Monique Martin and illustrated by Brian Flotte, Jr, is a wonderful family read for toddlers through early elementary ages. Martin captures a child's view of the world with great insight. Children will easily relate to the main character's concern about being to small to fix a big problem. The reassuring themes of faith and family help bring home powerful messages in kid-sized bites. Flotte's illustrations are engaging, adding brilliant color and life to t ...more
Autumn
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGalley.

This was a cute and decent children's book. My son didn't really seem to get into it as I read it to him. But I thought it was a good read. Pretty much the moon is broken and does God know this? He made the little girl and so everything must be perfect. I liked how her mom gave a scientific fact on how the moon changes. Though I would have liked to have seen a drawing of the different moons shapes. I think it would make it easier for kids to understand. Just m
Thetis Cromie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every child experiences perplexities and worries. This story about the 'broken moon" is a delightful account of how those concerns are addressed within the caring matrix of parental understanding and responsiveness . The book has wonderful illustrations that convey attention to the detail of a child 's surround, and a warm intimacy of a safe place to explore questions.
Shante Wynn jackson
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book! My one year old and three year old daughters absolutely must read this book before bed each night! Written from the eyes of an innocent child, it completely captures what children's thought patterns must resemble!
Stephen
May 25, 2018
Tiffany Swann-covington
Mar 10, 2014
Monique Martin
Jun 21, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: children-s-books
Jun 16, 2015
Gisella Sims
Aug 21, 2017
May 11, 2018
Monique B. Martin, author and publisher, is the mother of a beautiful teenage daughter. The Moon Is Broken! is Monique's first children's story. Inspired by her daughter, the idea for the story came to her as she was driving her daughter home from a Girl Scouts Brownie meeting. Her daughter looked up to the sky and said, "Look Mommy, the Moon is Broken!" Originally from New Orleans, Monique reside ...more