Start by marking “It Shouldn't Happen -” as Want to Read:
It Shouldn't Happen -

It Shouldn't Happen -

Don Freeman tells in words and pictures one of the most engaging and unusual stories of army and home front life.
Hardcover
Published 1945 by Harcourt, Brace and Company

To ask other readers questions about It Shouldn't Happen -, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Shouldn't Happen -

Wayne McCoy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
'It Shouldn't Happen (to a Dog)' by Don Freeman is an interesting book from another age. The art is okay. The story behind the art makes it worth looking at.

If you have something you want to say, but are not able to, how do you go about saying it? For Don Freeman, a cartoonist in the military, he saw inequality based on skin color, but couldn't say anything openly about it. Instead, he tells the story of a soldier who joins the military and gets turned into a dog. We follow the dog as he goes th
Nicola Mansfield
This is a reprint of an adult book first published in 1945. I love Don Freeman as a children's writer/artist and just had to give this a read. It is a political satire/treatise on the racism and segregation he found rampant when he served in the army during WWII. Freeman is a black man and by turning his character into a dog he was able to tell a story he otherwise would not have been able to tell during at this time in American history. Even so, the book was highly controversial and received cr ...more
Jim
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book first then DePastino's forward, then reread the book (v. short novel). The forward gave the book context that made it much deeper. Had i read the forward first the novel would have been ruined because i wouldn't have seen what he writes about on my own.
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0 of 5

It took me a little while to remember where I knew Don Freeman's name from, but it clicked while I was reading this. Freeman is the author/artist of the children's Corduoy books -- books about a stuffed bear that I used to read to my children quite regularly.

It Shouldn't Happen (To a Dog), while an illustrated book much like his Corduroy books, is not intended for children. Instead, Freeman writes (and draws) a story base
Theediscerning
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable little volume this – with the help of a fine scene-setting from the introduction (which gives the entire plot away, but you can't have everything) we learn the import of this proto-graphic novel, where a dog-tag wearing rookie in the US army in WWII turns literally into a dog. The fluid drawing style conveys the life of the creature that even the regimentation of the forces does not diminish, although having said that here the scale is very much on the personal and there are no ...more
Melissa
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I requested this book because I am a fan of the authors. I was not let down with this one. I enjoyed the fact that it was fun and interesting for my kids as well as me. We enjoyed discussing the book after reading it too. Wonderful storyline, with memorable characters.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via NETGALLEY.
L
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
A reprint of Don Freeman's 1945 story. This book will appeal to fans of his children's stories and demonstrate a different side of the author. This reprint is beneficial for readers because of the introduction containing backstory and analysis for a deeper understanding.
Sasha Lynn
rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2014
Joe Kuth
Jun 20, 2013
Don Freeman was a painter, printmaker, cartoonist, children's book author, and illustrator. He was born in San Diego, California, attended high school in Missouri, and later moved to New York City where he studied etching with John Sloan.
Frequent subjects included Broadway theatre, politics, and the circus. He was also a jazz musician, and the brother of circus entrepreneur Randy Freeman.