Start by marking “The Case of the Postponed Murder” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Postponed Murder

The Case of the Postponed Murder

(Perry Mason #82)

When Mae Farr becomes the presumed stalking victim of wealthy playboy Penn Wentworth, she asks Perry for help. Wentworth say he merely wants her for forging his name on a check. Farr claims he just wants her. Mae is willing to play hardball. But fatal gunplay rocks the boat--leaving Wentworth dead, Mae a wanted woman, and Perry Mason in troubled waters. Original.
Published July 24th 2013 by Penguin Group (Australia) (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Postponed Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Postponed Murder

Start your review of The Case of the Postponed Murder
Evgeny
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young woman from Nowhere, Northern California came to Mason's office. It seemed several years ago her sister decided to make it big in a large city and left for LA.
LA
She managed to find a job and even was able to send some money to her mother. She always kept in touch with her sister, but became silent some time ago which made the latter worried. The woman insisted Perry Mason, the lawyer would be a better person for the job than Paul Drake, the PI. This was the first clue she was not completel
Bob
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense) may find Gardner's writing style a bit dry, and the dialog a bit unrealistic. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is the last one, published in 1973, after Gardn
Tony Boskovich
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last published novel. As a disclaimer, I must admit that I have read them all, in order. I think Mr. Gardner, or perhaps Jeanne, had this one published to test the readers as to when it was actually written. I think it has all the hallmarks of having been written in the 1930s or 40s, and simply modernized for a later publication. The clues? Sergeant Holcomb had disappeared in favor of Tragg early in the series. Next, the Justice of the Peace instead of a municipal judge would have be ...more
Sammy
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-fiction
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion Gardner wrote this over a quiet weekend, perked up on chai and chocolate biscuits?

Seriously, the 82nd Perry Mason novel (but my first) is murder by numbers. The dialogue is uninventive, the mystery intriguing but ultimately more of an exercise than a narrative, and things plod along smoothly with the clockwork sound of an expert pulp writer. There's nothing really wrong with it, and I like that Gardner is (very lightly) self-parodic in the denouement scene, wh
Bailey Marissa
(3.7)

Once again, Perry pulls out legal tricks and proves his client innocent. Della is goals in this book and Paul's hatred of romance at the end makes me laugh.

Recommended 13+ for mentioned attempted assault, language, murder, and mild romance of secondary characters.
Joyce Lorenz
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perry-mason
Great!
Richa
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty okay mystery. It reminded of another yacht murder and so I wasn't enthusiastic about reading this one.
Anna
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Why the devil do you violate laws in order to get justice for your clients? Mason grinned and said, 'I'll be damned if I know, Paul. I guess I'm just made this way. When I start unraveling a mystery, I can't seem to find a brake. Every time I put my foot down, it hits the throttle.'"
The last book in Mason series. Although it was publish post-mortem, it definitely was written years before. Mason gets to play in a detective. Della Street and Paul Drake have their share in solving the mystery. The
Prathamesh Deshpande
Earl Stanley Gardner at his very best.

A superb plot and an intriguing mystery.

The plot revolves around the murder of a Penn Wentworth who is found dead on his yatch and the suspect is a lady named Mae Farr ( Perry Mason’s client) . Have to say, she is one of the most interesting clients Mason has ever had !

As is the case with all Perry Mason mysteries, there are many parallel plots and sub plots running which boil down to a jaw dropping climax.

However, this is one story where Mason himself gets
ahmad  afridi
this was my last novel from the Perry Mason series. I enjoyed this joy ride, spanning two years. the protagonist, perry mason, is an unorthodox lawyer. making the best use of detective work, intuitive mind, and in-depth knowledge of forensic medicine are the ingredients with which he can tear apart any witness on cross-examination and present the perfect courtroom drama. loved the chemistry between Perry and his confidential secretary Della street and mutual respect between Lt. Tragg and perry m ...more
Timothy Cline
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't appreciate amazon forcing audible on this

Always wanted to read one of these books. Nice to know what the show had correct and incorrect. Appreciate it being on kindle unlimited.
Mark Kosobucki
The book started strong but dragged a little for me near the end. Overall a fun story.
Anna Adams
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites so far! This genre can treat women either like victims or harridans. In this title, women make their own choices.
Charlene Antonakos
Typical Perry Mason mystery. Always pulls something out of his hat to solve the crime.
Becky
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014reviews
I enjoyed reading The Case of the Postponed Murder. Is it the best mystery ever? OF course not. I wouldn't even say it is the best Perry Mason mystery that I've ever read. But is it worth the quick time it takes? I think so. If you love the characters Perry Mason, Paul Drake, and Della Street, then you'll most likely enjoy reading this one enough.

The mystery begins with a woman visiting Mason's office. The would-be-client is concerned about her sister whom she claims is missing. Mason doesn't t
Ed
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#82 in the Perry Mason series. This final entry in the series was published with the following note: Publisher's Note: "The manuscript for The Case of the Postponed Murder was one of two full-length Perry Mason novels left in Erle Stanley Gardner's pending file at the time of his death in 1970. Although the work was written a few years earlier and set aside, the publishers believe it was ready for publication. But it should be noted that the author had not done his usual final-draft polishing an ...more
Les Anderson
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well the last Perry Mason mystery is somewhat sad. The mystery itself is excellent, with Perry Mason getting into the usual trouble he gets into. We even see the reappearance of Sgt. Holcomb after many years. Unfortunately, ESG did not get the opportunity to write a truly final Mason mystery so this has to do. Lt. Tragg is absent, as is Hamilton Burger.

The final chapter almost feels like an ending though. Perry and Della go to see a wedding, hinting to Paul that the wedding may inspire others. T
Cameron
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second Perry Mason story that I have read. While not very believable it was again a lot of fun a breezy read. Just the tonic as I trudged through an unpleasant Conrad story.

It is hard to pin down what these books are other than "crime stories" as even though you can spot the killer by the formulaic writing they are not who-dunnits or thrillers. You don't have the extra information or leaps of implausibility that Perry has. so the only question that remains is how well will everything
Cathy
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, legal
This Perry Mason story was a bit of a disappointment. It started out pretty slow and was a bit boring; although it did pick up later. The last third was much more interesting; it was ok, but not one I'd read again.
Vincent Darlage
Clearly, by the presence of Sgt. Holcomb, this is a much older novel (it was posthumously published from a draft), but it also was better than some of his later books. I really enjoyed this one.
Jason Lockwood
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun romp of a mystery from the king of the genre.
Lemar
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another sure footed mystery from one of the Masters. Erle Stanley Gardner makes it looks easy but his full drawn characters reflected then current events in a way that is still a kick today.
Marti
Passed on to me from Mom.
Dheeraj Sankar
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind Blowing Book, Couldn't just keep the book down.
Awesome character building, Twists and turns in the end with Perry Mason touch.
Rijo John
Far fetched deduction
Pamela
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perry Mason. Della Street. Paul Drake. Mysterious Client. Murder. Perfection!
Monte Lamb
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perry-mason
This was a fun read. It was one of the last two Perry Mason books written by the author. It is very typical.
Ronald C. McCormack
Apr 08, 2016
Jo
Nov 11, 2013
Vasilia
rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2014

• The Part-Time Job
  • Legacy of Lies (Bocephus Haynes, #1)
  • Destination Moon (Tintin, #16)
  • The Tragedy of Errors and Others
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • The Hateful Eight
  • Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20)
  • Explorers on the Moon (Tintin, #17)
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Tintin and the Lake of Sharks
  • The Adventure of the Dying Detective
  • Al Pacino
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • The Making of Don
  • Sholay: The Making of a Classic
  • The Castafiore Emerald (Tintin, #21)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)