Jump to ratings and reviews
*** This book is proud to be a part of The 12 NA's of Christmas ***

12 New Adult Novellas. 12 Best Selling Authors. November 2013.

Etta Davis didn't have showing a house penciled into her Christmas plans, but with the other realtors already off enjoying their holiday, she'd been stuck with the task. It wasn't all bad though, the house up for grabs used to belong to the family of her high school sweetheart, Andrew Lawson. Though now dilapidated, thanks to its current owners, it still held the power to bring back forgotten memories and turn the routine showing into something else entirely. Particularly when Andrew shows up, wanting to buy the house. Now Etta must decide whether a second chance is worth taking the house, and her heart, off the market.

55 pages, ebook

First published October 25, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Magan Vernon

81 books930 followers
Magan Vernon has been living off of reader tears since she wrote her first short story in 2004. She now spends her time killing off fictional characters, pretending to plot while she really just watches Netflix, and she tries to do this all while her two young children run amok around her Texas ranch.

You can stalk or...er...find her online at all of these fun and happy places.

Amazon Author Link: http://amzn.to/1Mi23I9

FELL THE VERN (reader group): http://on.fb.me/1lVsZEo

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
21 (12%)
1 star
14 (8%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews
Profile Image for Sofia Lazaridou.
2,734 reviews136 followers
July 19, 2015
Did it matter that Off market is a Christmas novel and we are in the beginning of November? No.
Did it matter that it was a novella and not a full length novel? No.

I loved it and everything that I wanted to read in the book were in it. The story was super sweet and romantic. Etta and Andrew got their second chance at love and spend their Christmas together.

The Christmas spirit was in the air It was like they were never separated and they went straight to the chase. I will definitely read it again and I suggest to you to give it a try too.
Profile Image for Kim.
2,435 reviews377 followers
November 13, 2013
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .

If you're looking for a quick read to help yourself get in the Christmas spirit, you have to check out the 12 NA's of Christmas. Off the Market is the first of these novellas I picked up. It won't be the last. While I'm a fan of NA lit, I've never read anything by Magan Vernon before. This novella gave me a good taste of her writing style. Her characters were realistic and relatable, the dialogue was believable and the story was sweet and charming. It was predictable, but you know what? I'm totally ok with that. Sometimes I just want a sweet story with a happily ever after.

Etta Davis returned to her hometown after her father had a massive heart attack. A real estate agent, the last thing she wanted to do was show a house on Christmas Eve. Especially her high school sweetheart's old house. When she opens the door to her new potential client, she finds herself face-to-face with her ex, Andrew Lawson. Etta and Andrew didn't leave things on great terms. She was headed off to college, he was staying in their hometown. She didn't see a future for them and didn't want to get stuck in her hometown, so she broke things off right after graduation. He doesn't know she's back in town… or at least she doesn't think he does. Andrew has never gotten over her. She's never gotten over him. What will happen now that they're standing in front of each other again?

Etta and Andrew were both likable characters. I wanted them to get their happily ever after. This was a short, super quick read. I think I read it in about half an hour. It was the perfect length to tell Etta and Andrew's story. There was just enough backstory that I understood where each of them were coming from. While it all happened in just 55 pages, the pace of the novella was good. It didn't feel horribly rushed. This was a sweet, adorable and sexy story of second chances. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Becca.
1,986 reviews17 followers
December 15, 2013
I absolutely loved this cute novella about past love and Christmas. Etta and Andrew grew up together and were high school sweethearts. But when it was time for Etta to go off to school she didn't think she could handle the long distance relationship with Andrew staying in St. Louis and her heading off to California. Now 2 years later, she is back in St. Louis and hating that she let the love of her life go. So when a Christmas Eve call reunites her with Andrew, she is ready for the sparks to fly. The only thing is she doesn't know if Andrew feels the same way.

I was smiling throughout the read and absolutely loved this short story about second chances at love. 5 stars!
Profile Image for Casey.
2,404 reviews37 followers
May 2, 2016
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

Off the Market by Magan Vernon is a Christmas themed novella. This one was short and sweet and definitely puts you in the mood for the holidays. I haven't ever read anything by Magan Vernon before so I wasn't sure exactly what her writing style was like, but I ended up liking it and thought that the characters were likable. This novella is a cute read if you are looking for some Christmas spirit and a little bit of second chance romance.

Etta can't believe that she is being asked to show a house on Christmas Eve, but her coworkers are all with their families and have plans. Not only does someone want to see a house on Christmas Eve, but it isn't just any house. The house used to be her high school boyfriend Andrew's house. Even though she broke up with him right before heading off to college, she has never gotten over Andrew. She has avoided him since coming back to town figuring that he never wants to see her again after she left and broke his heart. But when the potential buyer shows up to view the house, it is none other than Andrew. Andrew has never been able to get over Etta, and he is ready to get her back. Can Andrew and Etta pick up where they left off years ago? Can they have a second chance at the love they once shared?

I liked Andrew and Etta. They were fun to read about and they both seemed to be really genuine. They were sweet together, and you could tell that they both never stopped caring about each other. Sometimes with novellas, I struggle with the ability to find a relationship believable because of the short length. But I really found these two characters to be real and their connection seemed to be one that had endured all the obstacles that had been in their way. They were great together, and I loved getting to see some of their back-story and how they were together originally. I really enjoyed watching these two reunite and see that even though years had gone by, that there was a lot that hadn't changed. Andrew and Etta had great chemistry together, and I loved that they could admit they still had feelings for each other without waiting forever.

I did feel that even though they had a past and the feelings were still there, that the time frame on this one was a little quick for me though. The entire story takes place in the span of about twenty-four hours and that just didn't seem quite real to me. It was a little rushed considering that they hadn't spoken in years and then went to being together and buying a house together that quickly. I wish that we had been given a bit more time to really see their relationship sort of develop and grow. I also felt that although the characters were likable, we didn't really get to know them that well either. I think this is because of the short length of this novella. Overall though, this one was an enjoyable read. I thought it was fun and flirty while being quick and adorable. If you are looking for a short holiday read that ends with an HEA, this is probably a novella that you will enjoy. Andrew and Etta were cute together, and you couldn't help but feel a little in love with them and Christmas just by reading their story.

**ARC provided by Inkslinger PR**
Profile Image for Amy Logg.
180 reviews101 followers
November 7, 2013
More reviews at The Reading Realm

REVIEW:
The story:
I really enjoy stories about second chances at love and that's exactly what this is. After moving away for college Etta breaks up with her high school boyfriend, not wanting to have a long distance relationship. But now she's back living at home and working as a realtor and much to her dislike she's been roped into doing a house showing on Christmas Eve. The old family house of her high school sweet heart no less. But it's not until she opens the door to the sexy face of Andrew Lawson, that she starts to see her Christmas looking up.

The connection between them is still there and as they walk around the old house full of memories they start to reminisce. Can they make their relationship work a second time around?

The characters:
Etta & Andrew have very similar personalities, and listening to their alternating POVs showed that they both have insecurities about how the other feels about them. I felt their characters where a nice change from the opposites attract approach too!

The romance:
For such a short novella I really felt the chemistry between Etta & Andrew. I felt like they where a couple I went to school with and seeing them rekindle their romance was really sweet. Plus Magan wrote some hot and saucy scenes that will spice your Christmas up!! ;)

The Writing:
I love that Magan's characters already knew each other, I felt it made the quick progress of the romance much more believable. I also loved the little memories of from their past that she sprinkled throughout the story - it also helped to give depth to their relationship. Plus being written in dual POV was an added bonus!

FINAL WORD:
Off The Market is a cute, fun and steamy little romance novella about love & second chances. It's a great addition to the 12 Na's of Christmas collection - add this one your Christmas season reading list!!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium / sex scenes
Violence: none
Language: mild
Drugs & alcohol: none

More reviews at The Reading Realm
November 25, 2013
Sometimes writing a review for a novella can be hard because they are so short and they can’t always develop a full plot or character connection. While I really enjoyed Off the Market and found it to be cute and charming, I would have liked a little more character development.

Etta and Andrew were high school sweethearts but she broke up with him to go off to college, breaking his heart. Two years later, she’s back in their hometown and working as a real estate agent. When she goes to show a house on Christmas Eve, it turns out to be Andrew’s family’s old house and Andrew happens to be the perspective buyer she’s showing too. Can Etta win back the heart she broke two years ago?

I liked Etta and Andrew but there wasn’t really an opportunity to get a handle on them. This novella focused more on the romance and the storyline which worked for me. I liked the interactions between Etta and Andrew and it was definitely steamy. I felt like they may have moved into their relationship again rather quickly. After 2 years apart, they didn’t waste anytime and I think both of them have probably changed a lot since them and it may not be realistic to reconnect the way they did in one night. However, I really liked the romance and the dual POV.

Overall, I enjoyed Off the Market and found it to be a cute Christmas novella. It was quick, easy and a nice little fireside read for the holiday spirit. I really like Magan Vernon’s writing and this book was no exception. If you’re looking for a fast dose of holiday cheer, this novella is for you.
Profile Image for Emma .
2,506 reviews351 followers
November 20, 2013
Etta had her life planned out, going away to college and moving on with her life away from the town she grew up in. Ending things with her high school sweetheart, Andrew, wasn't an easy decision but one Etta felt she had to make because the of the direction her life was heading. However, fate had other plans for Etta who winds up back at her home town selling real estate, and tapping into her flair for interior design a little.

Although Etta has never forgotten Andrew or quite recovered from their relationship, she hasn't been able to contact him since her return as she is afraid of what she might find. Andrew hasn't recovered from Etta either and while he has forgiven her for ending their relationship, he is cautious regarding their interactions. Viewing their relationship from the outside enables clarity in understanding their emotions. From the very first meeting it is obvious that Etta and Andrew belong together. You can see the relationship and their shared dreams perfectly.

I would have liked to see a lot more depth to the relationship but as this is a short story that would defeat the object, lol. It's a whirlwind of emotions that engulf you and make you invested in the characters and their relationship. Off the Market manages to compress a detailed story into a small amount of space.

Off the Market show just how magical Christmas can be, a time where a second chance at happiness can really happen *swoon*
Profile Image for Chu.
1,459 reviews72 followers
December 9, 2013
Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

While other realtors are off for the holiday, she’s going to spend hers working. On Christmas Eve, Etta Davis found herself with appointment to show a house which is overly familiar to her. It was the house of her former high school sweetheart, Andrew Lawson. It may looked worse and beaten thanks to the current owners, but it still hold fond memories for her.

But what she didn’t expect was for her old flame to show up, wanting to buy a house. Seeing her in the flesh, brought something else into his mind... perhaps, he isn't buying the house - ALONE.

No gift is better during Christmas than the gift of love. But more than love, OMG – this might have been short, but I think my Kindle is steaming while I read it. Ah yes, those sexy make-up sex can be really, really good. It might have been a little TOO fast for my taste, but I love plot about second chances, and this one made me realize that sometimes you didn’t need to waste anymore time. They have lost each other, felt the pain and the heartbreak, and now that they have found each other once again, they won’t squander another second.

Off the Market is short, hot, and sweet story about love and second chances.

★ARC Copy was given in exchange for an honest review.★
Profile Image for Adriana.
252 reviews
November 26, 2013
I was excited to start this book since I loved the two books I've read by Magan, but unfortunately it felt short.

Etta broke up with her high school sweetheart, Andrew, because she thought their relationship would not last the long distance thing. Few years later, on Christmas, she's asked to show Andrew's childhood home that is now being sold. To her surprise, Andrew is the one that's interested in buying the house.

Let me start off by pointing out that I usually don't read novellas. When I do, is because I love the author and expect it to be as good as her/his full novels.

I was a little disappointed after reading Off the Market. I know novellas are supposed to be around half the length of a full novel, but this book was about a quarter of the length. Since it was so short, I read it in about an hour and a half, a lot of events felt rushed and the romance between the two main characters did not feel believable.

I actually did like the characters themselves. I also liked where the plot, but I just wished it was stretched out a little more to be able to see the characters and their romance develop.

Overall, it was an okay book and I would've had a different opinion if it was about 50-65 pages longer.
Profile Image for Lindsey Greer.
285 reviews71 followers
November 10, 2013
This one was a cute and quick read.
Etta has come back to her hometown to help her family. She has picked up selling real estate and does well for herself, but something is missing... Andrew. Andrew has done well for himself and has tried to move on without his high school sweetheart Etta, but he just never has. Now he has the chance to see if she still cares and Etta gets a pleasant surprise on Christmas Eve at a surprise house showing. Will they get what they want most for Christmas?
This story was very quickly paced novella. It was short and to the point. It only spans maybe a total of 24 hours starting on Christmas Eve night into early Christmas day, so the pacing worked. You see two people who never really stopped loving each other reconnect with each other and pick up where they left off. For me this was kind of unrealistic, but still sweet and enchanting in its way. The novella also didn't give me much to connect with in terms of the characters. Everyone can relate to losing first love and even possibly that reconnection, but the how just didn't work for me and the characters just never got real for me.
It was a cute read and worth the time and effort definitely, but it wasn't completely for me.
Profile Image for Emily-Jane.
161 reviews6 followers
November 24, 2013
**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.**

This is one of the novella’s in the 12 NA’s of Christmas and what a fine addition it is. This was the first Magan Vernon book I have read and I look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

I love the concept of this novel; it isn’t a typical storyline that I have come across before. I enjoyed experiencing the moments between Etta and Andrew as they are brought back together again by pure luck. The coincidence of it all is astounding as they go from being separated for years, to finding that they never fell out of love with each other. The only issue I had with this story is that because it is a novella, it has to be short. It was extremely fast paced and the conclusion just crept up on you instantly. With the knowledge that the story was over, you just felt like there could have been the potential for more of Etta and Andrew’s story.

Alas, I really did enjoy this novella. If you are looking for a quick and easy read than this is the book for you. There is no commitment needed for an entire series and it can easily be read in a few short hours if you commit to it.
Profile Image for RedRedtheycallmeRed.
1,637 reviews34 followers
November 25, 2015
The entirety of the story takes place over about 12 hours. Etta is a realtor, and she shows her high school boyfriend Andrew his old house on Christmas Eve. The combination of second chance romance and Christmas story should have been right up my alley, but this didn't work for me.

The timeline was confusing. In some parts of the book it seemed as if it had only been a couple of years since they'd graduated and broke up. But other things would make me think it had been a lot longer than that. And if it really was only two years, we're talking about a couple of twenty year olds here, not really old enough to lament what could have been.

Also not making sense was the fact that Andrew claimed he hadn't had sex since Etta. So a recent high school graduate gets dumped by his girlfriend (with whom he'd had a sexual relationship) and he decides to be celibate? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Sure it was sweet that they got back together, but seeing each other again after (????) years and just jumping into moving in together seems a bit unwise.
Profile Image for Heather.
459 reviews25 followers
November 29, 2013
Off The Market is another fast sweet read at 55 pages. We have Etta and Andrew, high school sweethearts, as our main characters. Etta is the girl who broke all ties and left for college.

I think this is the first book I have read by Magan Vernon and it gave me a little taste of her writing style. I think I would really like her other books. I liked Etta and Andrew and how their relationship worked. The only thing I wished is that it was a tad longer so we could delve a little deeper into their relationship and why Etta made the final decision that she did. I know it is meant to be a novella, but I wish it was just a smidge longer to go into some more detail.

All in all fun book. Perfect for a little bit of time in front of the fire in between cooking things this holiday season!
Profile Image for Kristine.
700 reviews15 followers
December 22, 2013
original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

What can I say that isn't already written in the synopsis of a fifty five page novella? You have Christmas, a second chance romance and some hot and sexy...what more could you want? Wrap it all up together and you have a very pleasurable quick and easy Christmas read.

I have to give Vernon credit for being able to pull off a story in so few pages. In most books it takes more than that to get into a story or get to know or even like the characters. Etta and Andrew were likeable from the very beginning and it was easy to route for them. It was a very cute story. This was the first book by this author for me but it won't be my last.
Profile Image for Melody  May (What I'm Reading).
1,485 reviews21 followers
November 17, 2013
Posted on What I'm Reading

I absolutely loved this story. I normally don't like second chance stories, but I really love this one. I love the fact that Etta and Andrew view their breakup as a mistake. However, Etta felt it more, because she was the one to break it off. However, they were able to get back together Christmas Eve. I loved that both of them had feelings for each other, but were a little nervous to let the other know. Yet somehow the magic of Christmas brought them back together. Just a lovely story and great for a really quick read. So, if you are looking for a quick Christmas novella, you might want to give this story a try.

Copy provided by InkSlinger Pr
Profile Image for Lynn.
1,119 reviews68 followers
Read
December 7, 2013
*sigh* My expectations with most of these 12 NA's of Christmas was different than what it should have been. All the ones that I have read thus far have been misses for me, but to be fair that has a lot to do with wrong expectations and personal preferences.

This is is a fairly short novella about reuniting exes. There are a few sexy times with a little background about the past. Since I prefer fade to black love scenes, except for very rare occurrences, there wasn't much left for me in this story after skimming those scenes. Things move strangely fast to get the HEA. I never did fully connect with the characters.

Side note- it might not bother you but reading "bad" when it should be written "badly" grates on my nerves. I always cringe when reading bad grammar.
Profile Image for Ellen .
779 reviews114 followers
November 13, 2013
Etta Davis and Andrew Lawson were inseparable when they were growing up, high school sweethearts and completely in love. Etta ended things to head off to follow her dreams, leaving Andrew behind. Now several years later her dreams have crashed and she's back home, living with her parents, working in real estate. An old house with lots of memories brings Etta and Andrew together again and the flames of passion they once shared are hotter than ever. Off the Market is a really short Christmas story about regrets, second chances, and rekindled love mixed with a little Christmas magic, some naughty that's really nice, all wrapped up in a happily ever after.
498 reviews
Want to read
January 28, 2015
2 New Adult Novellas. 12 Best Selling Authors. November 2013.

Profile Image for Tpagirl Loves Romance.
1,571 reviews122 followers
May 19, 2016
Off the Market was a quick and easy read. The storyline was the conventional, predictable second chance story. As typical of a novella, Off the Market had a sweet story but without depth, substance and character development. I liked the premise of the story but would have liked to get below the surface and know more about their lives in between. The characters, Andrew Lawson and Etta Davis, had great potential for being strong, sexy, sassy and lovable characters. If looking for a short charming read, then Off the Market is perfect.
Profile Image for Rumpled Sheets Blog.
925 reviews73 followers
March 10, 2014
Etta Davis and Andrew Lawson were high school sweethearts. Etta broke up with him to go to college.

A few years later, on a Christmas she is stuck by showing house.

The house she is showing is the old family house of her high school sweetheart.

That old house brought them back together.

Off The Market is a sweet, quick Christmas novella about a second chance love.

≧◔◡◔≦ 4 ✰ read ≧◉◡◉≦

>>>ARC received in exchange for an honest review<<<
Profile Image for Jaime Fiction Fangirls.
1,578 reviews147 followers
November 5, 2013
A sweet holiday story about second chance love.
I loved Andrew right away and the fact that he and Etta just picked up right where they left off, no wasting time was perfect.
This story was the perfect blend of steam and romance.

*I received an ARC from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Deniz.
1,135 reviews99 followers
November 24, 2013
Uuhm well. Ok. Just - I don't know.
Too much too fast? Gonna have to think about this. But not really my cup of tea

For more (reviews ect) of The 12 NA's CHRISTMAS on CLOSET GEEKS AND SLOW MO . click HERE
Profile Image for Hope.
184 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2016
It was a short sweet story, but not really all that special.
A second chance for love.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.