Jump to ratings and reviews
***Warmth in Ice is proud to be a part of The 12 NA's of Christmas***
12 New Adult Novellas. 12 Bestselling Authors. November 2013
***********

It’s Maggie and Clay’s first Christmas together…

***Spoilers for those who have not read Find You in the Dark or Light in the Shadows***

Clay and Maggie have gone through the dark and come out on the other side. For the first time, they are on this journey together. Fighting for something they both need and can’t live without…each other.

But a long distance relationship is hard. Particularly for two people who are still trying to build something solid on a shaky and troubled foundation. Clay is finally out of treatment and is living in an out patient halfway house. He struggles with what he wants to do and where he wants to go. Questions he worries he will never have the answers to. Maggie is trying to transition into college life and learning how to create a future with someone who is over a thousand miles away.

As the months pass and they struggle with being a part, old insecurities and fears take root and threaten a love that has come so far.

When Maggie decides to fly to Florida as a surprise for Clay on Christmas, she is unsure whether it will be the first step toward what they both desperately want or whether it could possibly be the end of it all.

But with the holidays approaching, Maggie and Clay are reminded that even when the days are coldest, you can still find the warmth and that hope and love are the greatest gifts of all.

96 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 26, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

A. Meredith Walters

32 books4,286 followers
The New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Contemporary and New Adult romances including the Bad Rep, Find You in the Dark, Reclaiming the Sand, and Twisted Love series.

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1CkvffQ

Twitter: @AuthorAMWalters

Instagram: a.meredith.walters

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
35 (2%)
1 star
9 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 214 reviews
Profile Image for Annie Brewer.
Author 13 books758 followers
10-I-don't-want-to-say-goodbye-to-Clay-and-Mags-stars!

Perfect ending! Bittersweet. Beautiful. Emotional. Epic. Incredible. It's hard to say goodbye to these two amazing characters I fell in love with in Find You in the Dark. They're an absolute favorite couple of YA. After everything they had to face, all the obstacles, all the drama, all the bull shit, they show you how anything is possible if you want it bad enough. Just have faith. Have hope. Don't give up. And eventually, you'll see the light through all the darkness.

Clay and Maggie have come so far in these two books. They've faced challenges that no 17 year old should have to. They were torn apart. They were brought back together. Both of them grew up so much throughout the series. Both of them overcame their fears, doubts, mistrust, and faced it all head-on...together. Sure there's always gonna be hardships, but if you just remember that love can conquer it all, and it's all worth it in the end, you'll get through it.

Clay and Maggie will always have a special place in my heart. Walters did a phenomenal job, painting a story in which a couple who've been through hell and back, can find their way out of the darkness. It was not an easy road, in fact, I was so worried for these two through most of it. But they're so strong, both together and apart. Although together they're stronger. I hated when they were apart.

Thank you A Meredith Walters for this amazing, yet short story. I'm so selfish and want more. I can read about these two forever. I want more. I want more. *sniff sniff*

Anyway, perfect novella. Perfect story. Perfect everything. Now I'm sad. And depressed. I love Clay. He was amazing...flawed and all. I hate his mother-effing parents and wish them harm.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look. At. That. Cover. *dies*

CLAY & MAGGIE....CLAY & MAGGIE.....MORE CLAY & MAGGIE....CLAY & MAGGIE!!!!!!!!!!! I. CAN'T. CONTAIN. MY EXCITEMENT! EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

photo Easy1_zps10a5621e.gif

AHHHHH more Clay and Maggie! More Clay and Maggie!!! OMG! OMG!!!! Thank you A Meredith, for giving us more of our favorite non-dysfunctional couple!!!!! I can't freakin wait!!!!! Can't. Freakin. Wait.!! *SQUEE*
Profile Image for Aestas Book Blog.
1,059 reviews74.8k followers
Want to read
October 18, 2013
OMG YAY!!! This is a novella about Maggie and Clay's first Christmas together!!!

I love this series so freaking much! One of the best I've read! And look, even the blurb is beautiful:

Profile Image for AJ.
2,802 reviews913 followers
February 28, 2015
“We’ll get through this won’t we? I mean, this will all work out in the end and these miles between us will one day be a bad dream. Promise me.”

Oh my God! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!

I love these characters!!! And from page 1 I realised just how much I have missed Clay and Maggie! Find You in the Dark and Light in the Shadows are two of my favourite reads this year. I have been so excited about this little extra, and it was absolutely worth the wait!

This gorgeous novella takes place in between the main story and the epilogue of Light in the Shadows. Clay is in Florida, and Maggie is at College in Virginia, and the two of them are struggling with their separation.

“You have my heart, Maggie. Keep it safe.”

Clay, “the beleaguered boy that fought for the love of the only girl who could save him”, is living in an outpatient halfway house, and is getting himself together. I was so proud of his bravery and his strength. He is focussed on creating a future for himself and Maggie, and his love for her is absolutely beautiful.

“Maggie is my fire. The passionate heat that consumes everything in its path, incinerating me in a perfect, unyielding death.”

“Maggie Young
The beginning and ending of my entire fucking world.”

And Maggie feels exactly the same. Working hard for their future, she is supportive, loving, and absolutely committed to him. But she also isn’t afraid to tell it like it is and shows that she’s not prepared to put up with any crap from him either.

“Fucking hell, Clayton! Yes, this sucks, but it’s not forever. And I swear to God if you try this whole I’m letting you go because I love you too much line of crap again, I will smack the crap out of you!”

Their relationship is still amazing, but I love that neither of them are sitting on their asses whining about being apart. They are both living their lives, and doing their thing even though they miss each other terribly. And while they do struggle with the distance between them, jealousy, and some niggling doubts, there is never any doubt that they are deeply in love, and absolutely belong together. And when Maggie makes a surprise trip to visit Clay for Christmas, it all just gets better – I confess, I actually teared up, their reunion is gorgeous!

With chapters in alternating POVs, we get lots of detail about what they are both going through, and it’s all finished off with a swoony and heart warming HEA. And there’s an epilogue – yep, another one, and it’s AWESOME!

Maggie and Clay’s romance is absolutely incredible, and this is a wonderful ending to their amazing story.

“Mags, I’m in this forever. You are my future, my always … If there is one thing in this messed up universe you can count on, it’s my love for you. It’s constant. It’s endless. And it’s never going anywhere.”

5 happy ever after stars.
Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,341 reviews4,597 followers
[image error]

A.Meredith Walters delivered a perfect novella and conclusion for fans of Clay and Maggie. Readers will be pleased that there was absolutely NO senseless drama whatsoever to read through!

This novella starts with Clay entering a group home in Florida and Maggie starting her first year of college. New surroundings, new friends but the one constant is the love that these two fantastic characters have for one another.

”We’ll get through this won’t we? I mean, this will all work out in the end and these miles between us will one day be a bad dream. Promise me.”

Thank you A. Meredith Walters for the story of Maggie and Clay and for depicting mental illness in realistic manner.

If you’re a Clay and Maggie fan, don’t miss out on their First Christmas and their happily ever after.

”We didn’t function in half ways and maybes.
We were always.
We were constant.
We were endless.”

description

"She was my butterfly.
My warmth in the ice.
The reason my heart beat in my chest."

Find You in the Dark (Find You in the Dark, #1) by A. Meredith Walters Light in the Shadows (Find You in the Dark, #2) by A. Meredith Walters Cloud Walking (Find You in the Dark, #1.5) by A. Meredith Walters Warmth in Ice - The 12 NA's of Christmas (Find You in the Dark, #2.5) by A. Meredith Walters
Profile Image for Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog.
1,260 reviews9,898 followers
December 1, 2013
FIVE STARS!!
A MUST READ!!

This was absolutely PERFECT!!!

photo image_zpsddd18efb.jpg

It was fantastic, getting a chance to reconnect with Clay and Maggie.
I remember when I first read "Find You In The Dark" and just how much it affected me.
It is such a beautiful and heart breaking story of young love and the effects of mental illness on the person who suffers from it and their loved ones.

Clay and Maggie went through so much and are still struggling while starting new chapters in their lives.

Maggie is a freshman in college and dealing with her new existence without Clay, and her best friends Rachel & Daniel.
Clay has just been released from the Grayson Center and is moving to a transitional home for six months in order to get acclimated to living out in society again.

These two are still so much in love but both still have insecurities that they try to fight.
They're determined to do whatever they need to, so that in the end they get their happily ever after.
Clay is a bit threatened by Maggie's college life and fearful she'll meet someone new.
Maggie is afraid that once Clay gets better that maybe he won't feel the same about her.
But somehow they stay strong and hold on to their love.

Clay wasn't just my first love. He was my forever love. And I would fight for that forever until I was bloodied and broken. And then, only he could put me back together. We didn't function in half ways and maybes. We were always. We were constant. We were endless.

"What if I don't know how to be with this Clay? What if I fly down there and we both realize that our time is over? That the people we are now don't fit together anymore? I don't know if I would be able to survive that."

Clay has really come so far.
I love that he's taking his therapy seriously and he's doing it because he wants a future with Maggie.
I ABSO-FREAKING-LOVE Clay!!!!!

I loved their Xmas together and the beautiful epilogue.

This thing between us had always been so much more than physical. It was emotional and spiritual. Passionate and fucking overwhelming. But the attraction that surged between us hadn't waned in the months we had been apart. If anything, it burned hotter and stronger than ever before. - Clay

"Mags, I'm in this forever. You are my future, my always. How could you ever think that? Everything I'm doing here is to make a life with you. Sure I'm learning to live for myself too, but there's nothing without you. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning. You are what keeps me going through the day and your face is what I see when I go to sleep at night. If there is one thing in this messed up universe you can count on, it's my love for you. It's constant. It's endless. And it's never going anywhere," I swear.

A. Meredith Walters you have created one of the most memorable and endearing stories I've read.
Thank you!!
There were so many excerpts that either tugged at my heart or had me completely swooning.
I can't wait to read the little extra story you have written for Clay and Maggie!!!

I knew with a certainty, soul deep, that our love was more than a moment. It was a lifetime. - Clay

"I just wanted to show you that every moment has mattered. That every tiny second has changed me. You have changed me, Maggie. You've given me something I had never dared to dream for myself. A future. Hope. Love. I can't even begin to put into words what your gifts have done for me. All I can do is cherish and adore you every day for the rest of my life."

We were a boy and a girl who loved each other past all reason, past all logic, and to the point that we could overlook just about anything to be together. - Maggie

She was my butterfly.
My warmth in the ice.
The reason my heart beat in my chest.

Profile Image for Michelle.
2,082 reviews860 followers
July 19, 2014

Eeekkk! More Clay & Mags!

I can't help it, every time I think back on the time I spent with Clay and Maggie I smile. Even with all the tears, their story was just so moving and I loved every gut-wrenching moment.

Oh, my poor damaged Clayton Reed, do you know just how much I love you?

I think we all cried throughout this series. We saw raw moments where healing never seemed possible, and now we get to see the just how they made it to their HEA. My heart broke for Clay and Maggie as they struggle with the distance and their insecurities but most of all my heart soared.

"We didn't function in half ways and maybes. We were always. We were constant. We were endless"

"I don't deserve you." I said quietly.
"Clay, when will you realize that you deserve the world?"

I placed her palm over my heart. "I told you once that this was yours. There's no giving it back. Even if you decided you didn't want it anymore, it would still only ever belong to you," I said. I knew with certainty, soul deep, that our love was more than a moment. It was a lifetime."

As much as there were moments in this that brought on the water works due to flashes back in time, but what I felt most of all was pure happiness. By the end of this story I was in tears because I was just happy. These two deserved to have a forever. I am so glad we got to get another moment in time to spend with these two.

A beautiful addition to fantastic series from A. Meredith Walters. Although I know our time with Clay and Maggie eventually has to come to an end, these are the types of characters that will forever remain with the readers who love them.
Profile Image for Dee Montoya.
942 reviews571 followers
March 28, 2014
****4.5 Very Sweet Stars****

What can I say? I just love Clay and Maggie's story, I fell in love with this characters since the first book and this novella was a wonderful closing for this story. I loved the realness of it, because the truth is, for Clay and Maggie life will never be easy, but they have each other and it was so beautiful to read once more about how devoted both of them are to their love...

"We are always, we are constant, we are endless..."

photo 0d3c8de3-53ea-47d4-993c-276665b9d9d5_zps6210ae3e.jpg
Profile Image for Kelle.
303 reviews
November 3, 2013
Aww...

What can I say, I just love Clay and Maggie (mostly Clay). Reading his POVs has always tugged on my heart and it was no different in Warmth In Ice. I always find myself rooting for Clay and hoping he can put his demons behind him.

This was a great short story and I'll always hold a special place in my heart for Clay and Maggie.

Profile Image for Sammy.
318 reviews70 followers
April 25, 2015

They were separated by distance , but their hearts were connected with much stronger bond ... dt was Unconditional love ...

I just wanted to show you that every moment has mattered. That every tiny second has changed me. You have changed me, Maggie. You’ve given me something I had never dared to dream for myself. A future. Hope. Love. I can’t even begin to put into words what your gifts have done for me. All I can do is cherish and adore you every day for the rest of my life.

Profile Image for Scott-robert Shenkman.
231 reviews70 followers
November 5, 2013
Reading the “Find You in the Dark” series was one of the most intense, heart-achingly perfect, and ultimately, satisfying things I have ever read. It was astonishing how Meredith Walters managed to write my life story never having met me. As I said in another review, I AM Clayton Reed. I have lived his life. Essentially every horrible decision he made, and every horrible action he made, I did when I was his age. The only difference between he and I was that I was blessed with parents that gave a damn. Had I had parents like his, I know my story would have ended a long time ago. The agony, the excruciating nightmare that is bipolar disorder, was described in such perfect detail by the author – well, all I can say, is that for someone who cried all his tears out during depression years ago, this made me cry every damned time Clay did something I did. It made me remember things I pushed into the background.

Actually, that’s a good thing. Part of recovering from this illness is not just confronting all the monumental f***-ups that we’ve made, it’s remembering them. So anytime we think we’re too good for our meds, or our therapy, or staying away from substances we shouldn’t be near, we remember what life was like when we didn’t stick to the rules of good mental health.

This was the perfect wrap-up to the series – how Clay and Maggie held together in the years they were apart – and was so very important. It shows that even when we’re stable on our meds, learning how not to hurt ourselves, learning to keep away from toxic people and stressful triggers, we need to build a life. We need to learn how to live a “normal”, healthy life. We need to learn how to trust ourselves to make the right choices, we need to ditch all the self doubt and paralyzing fears, we need to not be so proud not to ask for help when we need it, and finally, we need to learn to believe that we’re worthy of love. That is what the book shows, and I will always be grateful for Meredith Walters’ ability to create a masterpiece that shows the world what people like us have to go through.

I’ve heard the phrase “life may not lead you where you want, but it will lead you where you’re meant to be.” That is so true. This illness can kill dreams, but those who are strong will make new dreams. Clay and Maggie got their HEA, and my wife (my “Maggie”) and I got ours.

Another very wise man said “When you are going through hell, keep going.” His name? Winston Churchill. Once upon a time, he helped save the world. He also had a mood disorder.:)

We can all do anything if we believe in ourselves enough.
Profile Image for Ashleigh.
459 reviews95 followers
November 24, 2013
What a perfect ending !! I love Maggie and clay and so happy they for there hea!!!
Profile Image for PAULA.
689 reviews36 followers
October 28, 2013
WARMTH IN THE ICE (12 NA’s of CHRISTMAS) (FIND YOU IN THE DARK NOVELLA) by A. MEREDITH WALTERS

I loved Maggie and Clay’s story from the very beginning. To say that they had a rough experience is an understatement. I think these characters and their story is one of the most intense stories I have read. And if you’ve read this series I bet you also felt of rooting for em to have a happy ending they deserve since book 1.

Reading their story was tough and a bit painful because their experiences and what they had to go through in book 1 and 2 is not something that you typically see or even heard in someone’s relationship. And I am so happy that Ms. Walters decided to come up with a novella that is told in Maggie and Clay’s POV and what had happened since book 2 ended.

Maggie and Clay have been through so much and in this novella, their love for each other is tested by distance and trust. But no worries, the story ended with a happy ending. They deserve it and fans of this series would agree that they need one. There was struggle, of course but I like that they are more mature to handle it and they both know what is at stake so they are more careful and eager to fix things.

The epilogue was perfect. At least for me. It was the kind of ending that I like for Maggie and Clay to have. I am hoping that there is another book about em coz I wanna know how they are progressing and how life has been since the ending in this book. I hope Ms. Walters will write one more.

♥♥♥♥♥

** Also posted on my TUMBLR account & AMAZON

Profile Image for Laura.
778 reviews31 followers
December 4, 2013
Although we read of Maggie & Clay's happy ever after in Light in the Shadows, this novella takes place when Maggie is going off to College and Clay has moved into a house for transitioning patients out of mental health treatment. They both know it's going to be hard not seeing each other but Clay wants this for Maggie and Maggie wants Clay to get better so they communicate mostly through Skype.

Some jealousies and insecurities ensure and there is a little more angst for the couple who have been through so much but it is very realistic as mental health problems do not just go away, Clay still has to have counselling etc. Maggie is enjoying college life but when she tells Clay she can't come visit him on her first break from college nor at thanksgiving, things get a little tense between them.

After not seeing each other in person for seven months, Maggie then decides to surprise Clay with a Christmas visit. When Clay gave Maggie her christmas present it actually brought a tear to my eye.

If I had one criticism it would be that I wished their reunion wasn't so short. It's near the end of the book and it felt a little rushed. However, I still love their story and loved this novella.
Profile Image for Janey.
1,279 reviews
December 23, 2013

A delightful insight into Clay and Maggie's life as they learn to live their lives apart from one another. Clay is in Rose Heights support facility following his stint at the Grayson Centre, whilst Maggie has headed to University.

I enjoyed watching them grow, cope and yearn for the promise of their future together. The writing was emotional and winsome, and Clay is one of the most adorable characters I've had the pleasure to read.

Who wouldn't love the ending, although I was a teensie, weensie bit disappointed it had jumped quite a few years. Only because I wanted more; I wanted that gap filled with more Clay & Maggie!
Profile Image for Maria.
369 reviews
October 29, 2013
Only 5 or more loving stars for Maggie & Clay!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
They waited!
"And finally, after all this time, the darkness is behind us."
Maggie + Clay forever! <3
Profile Image for Cinta.
385 reviews9 followers
December 29, 2013
And here i was thinking this was going to be another heart wrenching story.....was i wrong!

This was absolutely beautiful, one of the best novella's i've read in 2013.

I'm defiantly going to re-read this series when i get the chance :)

____-

Maggie and Clay Special Christmas Scene

Profile Image for Ashley.
254 reviews79 followers
February 13, 2015
I'll post a review soon. It probably won't be long considering this is only a novella, so for now I'll just say this: Clay and Maggie will forever be one of my favorite book couples, and this series will forever be one of my all-time favorites, as well.
Profile Image for Polly.
675 reviews252 followers
October 28, 2013
Ahhh the tears!!! I love Clay. Perfect ending to their story.
Profile Image for Patrixia Lansangan.
359 reviews12 followers
January 31, 2018
I loved it! It was so cute and warm and I’m so happy for clay and Maggie.

After everything they’ve been through, they finally were back together and even stronger.

This story was amazing! 😊😊
Profile Image for Natalie.
285 reviews61 followers
January 7, 2016

★★★☆☆ 3.5 STARS out of 5!

This is a beautiful continuation to Maggie and Clay's love story. It is dark at times, sad and depressing but the bond between Maggie and Clayton is stronger then ever and undeniably unbreakable. Jealousy shows its ugly head from time to time, but the two of them never really doubt what they have. Forever. A love that can put them thru everything.

If you are a Maggie and Clayton fan, you will love this heartwarming, shorter novella.

Reading order, books:

Novellas:
Cloud Walking (Find You in the Dark, #1.5) by A. Meredith Walters Warmth in Ice (Find You in the Dark, #2.5) by A. Meredith Walters
Profile Image for Keighley.
186 reviews22 followers
October 31, 2013
Blah Blah Blah We are Strong Enough to Get Through This Blah Blah Blah

Hate to say it but this book bored the Arse off of me! yeah it was just a lil novella to fill in the gap between end of the drama in Book 2, Light in the Shadows, and the HEA ending, but it still needs to have some point to it!

At 100 pages this felt stretched. Yeah Maggie and Clay had come along way, and their relationship had to be Functional and Healthy. But I felt like that was rammed down our throats! I would rather have seen more of their development as individuals, Clays relationship with his housemates, maybe Maggie being a lil bit tempted by college boys, just something other than Missing each other on skype!

Maybe I was expecting too much of a novella. but this suffered after reading Colleen Hoovers Finding Cinderella. which showed even in 100 odd pages you can give your fans something meaningful, with substance. And you shouldn't revisit your characters if you have nothing real to add to story.

Profile Image for Kristel.
99 reviews21 followers
November 1, 2013
I hate to say goodbye to stories and characters that had already carved a portion of my heart. Same applies to Maggie and Clay. I've been following their rollercoaster-kind of relationship. I've rode with them as they journeyed together. I hurt for them, cried with them and fell in love with them. This is one of the saddest goodbye for me but one I know I will forever remember. Their story isn't the lightest to read. In fact, it was all f*cked up but definitely and painstakingly beautiful.
I so love this series and I'm saying goodbye to a wonderful love story of two people who went through difficult times but held a strong love for each other, even darkness can't fade away. ♥♥♥
Profile Image for Shay.
146 reviews1 follower
January 26, 2014
Reading about Maggie and Clay again was good. Even after reading the two books from this series, having another glimpse on these characters' lives was amazing. I just love how much they love each other and reading more about them in this special christmas novella put a smile on my face. We get to see how hard the path they made was, that even after the happily ever after, not everything was flowers but that when love is real, you can do anything. That was the amazing message I grabbed from this book. Maggie and Clay's fans will love it!
751 reviews130 followers
March 27, 2014
4 Stars

This is that story.
The one that matters.
The one with the happy ending.

It was cute.
It was simple.
It was realistic.
It had no unnecessary drama.
It had one of my all time favorite characters.
It was everything I expected and wanted from a novella :)

We didn't function in half ways and maybes.
We were always. We were constant.
We were endless.

description
Profile Image for V.B. Book Reviews.
831 reviews369 followers
December 30, 2013
5 INCREDIBLE WARMING STARS!!!!!!!

OMG was this book good! I am kicking myself for not reading this the moment it came out! I was expecting a sweet little reunion Christmas story but ooohhh hell no! It is SOOO much more than that! This book packs a huge punch in just under a hundred pages!

An absolute must read for Maggie and Clay lovers!

And wow, that epilogue....perfection!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 214 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.