Start by marking “Underneath” as Want to Read:
Underneath

Underneath

Look at the person sitting just across from you. It doesn’t matter whether they’re a loved one, a friend, or a complete stranger.

Now look at their face. Are they happy? Are they sad? Or are they angry? Can you even tell?

How well do you actually know the people closest to you?

Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath wh
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 188 pages
Published June 16th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published June 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Underneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underneath

Dianne
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-edgy, own, 12read
We never know what lies beneath the surface of those around us, be they stranger, friend or even family and that is so very true in Michael Cargill’s UNDERNEATH.

Hugh has problems, big ones, unresolved issues and he sees life through skewed lenses that, on the surface, no one could see. It is the man he hides that will have police seeking him out. Can he fool the detectives with his façade of normalcy?

Very dark, very edgy and sometimes a little slow, being inside Hugh’s head was an uncomfortable experience as a seemingly sm
Midu Hadi
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Recommends it for: 16+ fans of crude humour + thrillers
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

Gripping, hilarious, disturbing. The story of a psychologically unstable individual.
The story Underneath follows a disturbed man named Hugh with a love for squirrels and garlic flavouring. He is antisocial, violent and a complete and utter sociopath with no regard for those around him. In the past he has made attempts to take part in society with regular office jobs and participating in clubs, but it is never long before the cracks in his mask begin to show and those around himBookaholic.
Gripping,
Erin  Black
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review now up on Bookluvrs Haven!

**GIVEAWAY ALERT**

Come sign up for your chance to win one of TEN e-copies of Michael Cargill's new novel 'Underneath'

Dont miss out on this one!!
Lucinda
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another breathtaking story by an incredible author who has once again exceeded all expectations, by producing something that is truly remarkable and memorable. Grabbing my attention instantly I was drawn into the most original storyline, which like his previous work ‘Shades of Grey’ combines intense action and drama with distinctive characters. Candid, strait to the point the author combines an openness in his style of writing that is honest when revealing to all the harsh realities of life and ...more
Not Sarah Connor  Writes
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
(This book was sent to me by the author and does not bias my review in any way)

I’ve been excited to read Underneath since I discovered it’s existence in a Goodreads giveaway. When I found out I’d won, I quickly went on Goodreads to see what the book was about. The back of the book however gave little detail as to what the story was about, though it hinted to something sinister, mysterious, and suspenseful. I enjoy reading about all these things so I was happy to have the book coming
Jo Michaels
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love suspense
Recommended to Jo by: Michael Cargill
Underneath won a review on my December 12 Days of Christmas indie author contest. The author hooked me right in with his pitch and I promptly bought the book which I read in just a few days. I give you my review.

From a reader's perspective:
To be frank, Underneath's main character, Hugh, scared the bejesus out of me. But he was so compelling I just had to keep reading. His odd thought process oftentimes gave me chills and made me wonder how many people like Hugh I'd passed by in my lifetime and never noticed./>From
Think
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted. Demented. Bizarre. These are just a few words that pop into my head when trying to write a review for Underneath. Yes, that's right. My cup runneth over with adjectives to describe this novel. And yes, those words are a little scary. But there are also positive adjectives I could use. Mind-blowing. Thrilling. Brilliant. And if I could only pick 3 words to describe Underneath they would be: Timed to perfection.

Ok, so let's talk characters in this novel. Of course, the star of
Hock Tjoa
This light read takes us firstly into the point of view of a mentally ill young man who is alternately clever and charming and then vicious and violent; this may or may not have been made worse by a family tragedy. In any case, he actually kills a teenager who had made the mistake of breaking into his apartment building; then he wraps the body all neatly in plastic and forgets completely about it as he goes about his dinner.

Secondly, a companionable pair of police, a man and a woman,
PepperP0t
3.75stars actually

This short debut novel details people-watcher Hugh opens with his favorite past-time in the park and him concocting lives and scenarios for the people that he sees. But as the story goes on and you become more involved you begin to suspect that all is not right in Hugh-world. Hugh proves the adage that you can’t judge a book by its cover.

The originality of the story is what got to me first, followed quickly by the flowing prose as we find that while Hugh may walk l
Eyehavenofilter
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am having a devil of a time getting this review done.I've tried 3 times and technology wasn't cooperating.... Pray for me! This is another awesome book from M. Cargill!
What a great premise. An anger management failure, with what seems to be memory loss. He can't remember why he walks from one room to anther let alone what triggerd his rage 5 seconds ago. It took awhile to get into this but it is SO worth the read. As soon as we are introduced to the 2 " coppers" who investigate the grim
Pragya
Alright, this is a very different kind of a book and the blurb sums it up so well.

The book made me shudder and think. It's a bit creepy, thought-provoking and disturbing all at the same time.

It sort of has a psychological angle to it which makes it interesting. It is neither a mystery nor a thriller but has that surprise element to it.

What I didn't like

A couple of things and scenes just kept repeating, can do with a bit of editing. Though the background was sol/>What
Julie Rainey
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The lives of Hugh, Clare and Robert become entwined in a roller coaster ride of suspense.

I liked how Hugh was portrayed as a normal everyday person until something, just the slightest glitch, set him off. The way he interacted with the world around him made me fearful to ever meet a man such as him in my life.

I liked the relationship between Robert and Clare. They were so in sync with each other and were able to work together to figure out the mystery.

A very good read. I found it h
Sydney Culver
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review on Amazon.com. Thanks, Michael, I enjoyed it!
Melissa ownsbey
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
well told well written
and differnt
hugh has a prombem with anger for sure
i did enjoy this book
thanks for letting me review
Alex
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished, it was good. Kinda weird but good, great job Michael!!
Emily V
Shelves: 2012, for-review
Review posted at: http://emily-confessionsofabookaholic...

Cover Rating: 3/5 Stars
Overall Rating: 4/5 Stars
Synopsis: Look at the person sitting just across from you.
Now look at their face.
Are they happy? Are they sad? Or are they angry?
Can you even tell?
How well do you actually know the people closest to you?
Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath what you see…?

A copy of Underneath was kindly
Sherry Fundin
Not only don't you know what people are thinking or feeling, they don't know what's going through your mind. I have thought before, as I was looking in someone's eyes not really listening to what they are saying, I wonder what they would think if they could read my mind right now.

As he wandered the city, one minute happy, the next so pissed off he wanted to kick someone's ass, he came upon a car with an expensive coat in it. When he broke the window to steal the coat, he saw it was a
Martin
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book for free by the author with the promise that I would review it when done, so here goes;

This book was amazing. One of the more interesting books I have ever read.
The author has explored a insane mind in such a way that you sort of end up connecting with it; after all who hasn't got annoyed with self service checkouts, or people getting in your way or the million other things that seems to annoy our main character, Hugh.

This idea of everyone is e
Jill Swanson-Diaz
Look for my full review and an interview with the author,
as Adult Fiction Review Week continues on my blog!

Underneath is one of the more unique and compelling books of it's kind that I have read. Michael Cargill is definitely an author to look out for. His writing style really captivates the reader and immerses them in the characters and story line. Cargill masterfully builds the tension through out the entire story, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat.
Hugh is quite an
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Underneath is a thriller meaning we know who the killer is and the tension comes from it being a race between the cops and the killer before he kills again. Cargill keeps the tension up masterfully from the first page up until the end.

A major city in modern Britain is a compelling setting. Matter of fact, it made me remember my trip to the United Kingdom when he was describing the parks, the ticket machines, etc. I could visualize everything. Also by not naming the city, he gives the
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Shelves: 2012
Sounds creepy? Well, it should because the main character we follow throughout the book – Hugh – is a scary chap!

Underneath is a relatively short book – more a novella I’d say at circa 50k words – and flits between two worlds: Hugh-land and Copsville. Hugh’s world is an interesting one, as you see a lot of his life from his own confused and skewed perspective: one minute he’s happily shopping and buying garlic, the next he’s freaking out at the automated till and then forgotten where he i
Beza
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-by-me, indie
This book is more like a novella than a novel, only having 16 chapters.You have three main characters: Hugo, and two "coppers" Robert and Clare all told in third person. Hugo is...well...how do I explain Hugo? Crazy, deranged, psycho?I'm sure there are a bunch of scientific disorders for Hugo, but let's just leave it at this: you won't get bored reading about him. It's very interesting to go through Hugo's world: one minute he is happy go-lucky and in a split second he is in a murderous rage, yo ...more
Katy
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full review at - http://wp.me/p4Dssh-gg

[Warning - This book contains swearing. If you are uncomfortable with that, I would suggest not reading it. However, I would stress that I thought it fit well within the story and wasn't overbearing.]

Underneath asks the question 'How well do you actually know the people closest to you?' in the most striking way. Hugh, the main character, appears perfectly normal on the outside, even charming at times. However, underneath, he is clearly a raving lunatic! It j
Erin
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I enjoyed this book. As a psychology major I often wonder what people are like underneath. Are first impressions always correct? Can you tell if someone is a psychopath just by looking at them??

Hugh is an emotionally and psychologically damaged man. On the surface he may appear to be normal, but underneath he certainly is not. He suffers from rage episodes, and he also seems to forget things quite often. I don't think Hugh is evil, but definitely in need of a good psychologist.

The s
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

From Goodreads:
Look at the person sitting just across from you. It doesn't matter whether they’re a loved one, a friend, or a complete stranger.

How well do you actually know the people closest to you?

Have you ever seen the real person that lies just underneath what you see...?

This is/>Look
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Hugh seems like your average hardworking man that is polite, takes care of himself, and goes to the gym to workout. Hugh seems to blend into the crowd unnoticed which suits him just fine. Constables Clare and Robert are hardworking police officers that are working on seemingly unrelated cases at the grocery store,local college, and missing teenage boy. Abigal meets Hugh on the train and the two meet up for drinks. Abigal briefly sees something lurking behind Hugh's eyes then thinks she imagined ...more
Irene
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People need to read this book, it gives you great insight to the mind of a lunatic. To think there are people actually walking around like that. Hugh is disturbing on so many levels. From the first chapter you hear what kind of inappropriate and downright disturbing thoughts he has, and I found myself having to read more to see what he would do or say next. He has a love interest named Abigail, which really adds to the 'ick' vibe and level of suspense.
Throughout the novel, we also follow t
Amy (BW)
I'd give this book a solid 3.5!

It was creepy for a psychological thriller, but it started out too slow for me. I felt like it didn't really pick up for me until the last 35% of the book. But I stuck it out.

Hugh is an emotionally disturbed man. Throughout much of the book, he wanders through the streets and at times doesn't even remember why he is here he is, what he is doing or how he has the food he has in his fridge. WEIRD! He meets a girl on the train and likes her. Gi
Stephanie
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a short read that I would put in the "okay" category. For the 1st half I had to push myself to continue reading so I could accurately review it. Closer to the end it flowed a bit better but it was predictable and more at a reading level of a smart middle school student or perhaps a high schooler. The idea of the book is a good one though and I have seen many short novels that are written poorer.

• The Twenty (Barronlands Trilogy, #1)
  • The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor, #1)
  • Over the Rainbow
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • Shadow of Eden
  • Red Leaves and the Living Token
  • A Class Apart (Class Heroes, #1)
  • Six Weeks to Yehidah
  • Pangaea: Exiles
  • The Dragon's Egg (Dragonslayer, #4)
  • Fix by Force
  • An Unproductive Woman
  • Strange Metamorphosis
  • Cedar Hollow
  • The Mosswoods
  • The Intelligent Optimist's Guide to Life: How to Find Health and Success in a World That's a Better Place Than You Think
  • Haven 6 (A New Dawn, #3)
  • The Breedling and the City in the Garden (The Element Odysseys, #1)
I'm an author who lives in the sunny, green hills of England. As you can see in the photo to the left, I'm mostly bald.

Over the years people had often said that I should write a book so, in mid 2011, I did just that! Anyone wondering which book of mine to read first should start with Shelter from Thunder; 'tis short and available for free.

Feedback of any kind is always welc