Start by marking “The Traveller” as Want to Read:
The Traveller

The Traveller

A family man struggling in his pursuit of a work/life balance embarks on yet another trip at the whims of his tyrannical bitch of a boss. But on this trip he is a world apart from his usual self. Suddenly confident, capable and unafraid of his manager, reclaiming his life becomes less about
Published January 2nd 2013 by Garrett Addison (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Traveller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traveller

Amrutha Ram
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whoa. I'm so glad I stuck with this book. The first like 80-100 pages were so dry that I wasn't sure if I should go on, but Addison really turned the book around after that first dry stretch.

So when first reading the book, the main character, who is never named, seemed really regular. He was livin' an average life, travelling everywhere at the fancy of his boss (his boss is really effing annoying by the way), doing anything at the "anti-Christ's" every whim.

So as our man the Traveller gets cal
William Bentrim
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Traveler by Garrett Addison

A morality play depicting a overworked and under appreciated corporate traveler.

Whether intentional or not, I have no recollection of the protagonist name and I just finished the book and hour ago. My thought is that the author’s intent is that you focus on the protagonist’s actions rather than mundane aspects like names. Of course in college I disagreed vehemently with my literature professor on what Robert Frost really meant when he took a walk in the woods. So a
Kevin Hammond
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a story you might not pick up from the basic outline with the thought that it would be exceptional. it is basically about a travelling management consultant with a horrible boss, making his own review of his life. if you thought that it would be dull you would be wrong and for good reasons
firstly the confident, sweeping use of language tells you this writer is fully aware of his ability in his craft. I mean it is flowing and very difficult to put the book down. the writer uses his skill
Larry B Gray
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Traveller by Garrett Addison is a story of the life of businessman who spends his career on the road for an unappreciative company. Then one day he comes alive with both confidence and the “Midas touch” in his business dealings. He goes from being underappreciated to a hot commodity in his business.

The book is well written and has several interesting plot twist. Overall, I found the story to be slow and dragging. After the initial excitement the storyline became very repetitive.

I also had t
Angelica
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, twisty tale that is unpredictable and a fun ride until the last page - with an ending you will not be expecting. The author did a great job of developing a story that will drag you in, and make you want to keep reading.
Ingrid Hall
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I will say from the start that this is a VERY unusual book, both in the style it is written and the subject matter that it covers and it "probably", although I shall use that term loosely won't appeal to everyone. In reality, if I hadn't been sent this book to review, I "probably" wouldn't have gone anywhere near at as it is most definitely not the type of book I would normally consider and I would "probably" have assumed that I would have been bored witless by it.

I would have assumed WRONG!! Th
Booky Ramblings
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
We had the honors to be asked to review The Traveller. I must say, it's not my usual read but once I read the blurb, it sound pretty good and interesting, so I thought why not. Really didn't know what to expect from this, so totally fresh from the very first page.

I must admit the start of the book is quite slow and I felt it dragged on a little bit until later on once you hit the main plot of the story it got more interesting about the traveller's life moving around. Obviously the whole book is
Joe Hempel
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review courtesy of topoftheheapreviews.com

Sometimes to get the measure of your life, you just need a break from being yourself…because nothing lasts forever. That’s the tag line of the book. It sounds intriguing. Read on to find out!

I’ll be 100% honest here. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to finish the book. The first 75 pages of this thing were dry, un-eventful, and I felt like I was just reading about a day in the life of the mundane average Joe. I contemplated just sending an e-
Bill
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Wake, eat, work, pause for food, continue work, break for the evening, food, drink, sleep.   Repeat."

Such is the life of the narrator of Garrett Addison's novel "The Traveller." A businessman with family-work balance issues, his hamster-wheel existence is directed in large part by a boss he has come to believe is pure evil, a woman whose sadism appears to respect no bounds.

As "The Traveller" opens, he's been summoned on yet another long-distance assignment. His wife prophetically declares, “Thi
Ralph
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, suspense
Travel can be a wearying task, even when associated with leisure and recreation, but it can be murder when it’s a major component of a person’s job. The anonymous narrator of this book has to travel…A LOT. It is a strain on both him and the family that rarely sees him. He is also ill used and unappreciated by his employer; to top it off, his boss is a woman he can describe only in allegorical terms—a vampire, a harpy, a soul-sucking demon, the alien who burst from that guy’s chest in the film. A ...more
Sabrina Olteanu
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character is a consultant who feels he is totally inept in everything, in his life. This is the story of a very angry man and rightfully so, because he wants to have a successful balance between work and family and he is failing at both.
He has a boss whose interactions with him are always a complete nerve breaking, and abusive language. She keeps him totally off his life by making sure he’s never home with his family, keeping him traveling, all the while making sure he feels inadequate
Stacie
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
The Traveller is an interesting look at the mundane life of businessman, who, one day, decides to step outside of his comfort zone. The "new" person he unleashes is bold, assertive, and nothing like the man he used to be. Get ready for a wild and entertaining twist full of surprises.

As the businessman prepares for yet another trip away from his family, in a job with little to no professional satisfaction, he vows to make this trip unlike any other. Trying on a new hat, he starts telling it like
Nancy Silk
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
"A Management Consultant's Self Analysis"

Remember the song, "I'm A Travellin' Man" ... I've made a lot of stops all over the world, and in every port I own the heart of at least one lovely girl..." Well, in ways, this story reminded me of the advantages some travelling businessmen partake. Let's face it, it's hard to be a frequent travelling man. Just too often his departures spur discontent with a wife who had to cope with life without him. It's hard to have a boss from hell, and a wife wishing
Renee
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Garrett Addison wrote a pretty good book here. The first part was slow, in a way that made you think "this is his life". It is a narration and a direct pov which takes some getting used to. Faye was the spouse who hated that her husband was a consultant who did too much traveling. While the traveling part is probably the best part of his life, his friend Emil is the best co-worker, in my opinion. The way they call the boss, who is a woman the "Anti Christ" is hysterical to me.
The book shows the
Jacquelyn Smith
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, own, thrillers
If was like reading about your own like, but it was more exciting !
The cover makes you thinks of mystery and suspense, but once you open this book you will not put it down until you are done.
This story open with an flash and keep you on your toes thru out the book. The author takes you on a fantasy like adventure, but keep you grounded at the same time.
In the Traveller, the main character spends most of his career on the road for an unappreciative company , most of us can identity with today. Th
Gary Henson
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mr. Addison's story is unique and unusual in several aspects. I give it an extra 'Star' for this.

Living inside the main character's head, feeling his angst, phobias and feelings of manic ecstasy was both intriguing and painful at times. I got to experience his every thought and revelation through a slightly bizarre series of business trips. This could be repetitive and draining at times.

I found myself rooting for the Traveler one moment and disliking him immensely the next. At times I could not
Ailyn
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A unique genre for a unique book, it is part of a lot of things, I might say that this sound more like real life than fiction. It comes to a point where people just lose track of themselves and invents a personality as a coping mechanism. It seemed that way to me at first, but as I read on, I realise that the hero, nameless as he is, takes control of his life for the first time.
An interesting read as the author's unique way to expressing the hero's point of view shines through. A fun yet quick r
Shelley
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was really not to my taste but it had some clever things. The ending was pretty interesting.

Most of us can relate to working for someone that we disliked at some point or another in our careers and how we would love to get even with them. I did not like the main character much but the book was well written.

I received this book as a free copy from this website. thanks for the opportunity to read it.
Ingrid Foster
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A dark, compelling adventure. This was one of those books that fills you with a morbid curiosity early on, you just have to keep reading to find out what happens next. Good ending!
Maria Miaoulis
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Summary:
A management consultant who spends more time working than at home with his family has to drop everything and fly out to see a client thanks to his uber-demanding boss… again. This assignment though is not like the others. He steps off the plane a new man, one brimming with confidence, great ideas and endless possibilities. Over the next few days, he travels around the world as his company’s go-to man, sought out for his expertise in various crises, much to his boss’ annoyance. A climacti
Isabell
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Originally posted here: http://dreamingwithopeneyesreviews.bl...

See full review here: http://dreamingwithopeneyesreviews.bl...

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to Garret Addison for sending me a free copy of this book. I received the book in an exhange for an honest review.

The first thing which cought my eyes was the great quote on the cover. "Sometimes to get the measure of your life you just need a break from being yourself... because nothing lasts forever" This is a very true statemant.
Michelle Knight
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review - The Traveller - Garrett Addison I came across Addison because he's not only passionate about books, he's passionate about the book community. That was why I jumped out of genre and tracked down a physical copy of one of his books.The Traveller started in an unusual way. A man who had been nothing but warm embers for a good number of years, was suddenly fanned to blasting flame. How? And by who/what? The mystery was afoot and I wanted an answer to this. Was he fed drugs? Was it by his no ...more
Hollie
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I have to start off this review by saying that The Traveller is possibly one of the oddest books I’ve read in a long time. That’s not a bad thing, but it’s probably fair to say that this is not going to be a book for everyone, particularly if you’re more a person who only dips their toes into Adult fiction every once in a while.

I went into The Traveller not really having a clue what it was going to be about, and I think that was probably the best way to read this book. The plot and the character
John W. Howell
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The traveller is a story about a business person (who is not named) whose life is made miserable by his work situation. He is belittled by his boss and felt to be unworthy of the employment given him. His wife and family are also forced into the misery triage since each portion of their lives has been interrupted by this sadistic boss. The book covers what we learn to be a final trip and upon leaving his wife to catch a plane the business man is very discomforted that his wife does not complain ...more
Rabid Readers Reviews
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Italian Poet F. T. Marinetti is known as a pioneer of the avant-garde movement in fiction for his idea of “words in freedom.” Fiction that explodes the traditional boundaries and formulas and calls to the reader to read the words but look within for the meaning. “The Traveller” by Garret Addison, for this reader, fits into that avant-garde genre. Whether intended or not, the narrative gives a vibe of being deeply symbolic and requiring deeper thought on the part of the reader.

The unnamed protag
Kindle Ninja
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it
‘The Traveller’ is something that strays from that path of action-packed, plot-driven novels. It’s almost like an avant-garde writing that you either love or hate. It’s different in the sense that it reads like a long drawn out speech of a nameless man who despises his lady boss, up to the point that the hatred consumes him.

In the beginning, the man comes across as an unremarkable corporate slave, but as the story progresses, he inexplicably transforms into an arrogant, Narcissistic, invincible
Traci Sanders
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Traveller (Kindle Edition)

This was a very intriguing read for me. The story was well-structured and the plot was unique in nature from anything else I've read in this genre. I think it would appeal to a technically-minded individual, but even as a writer and English major, it took a little extra effort for me to stay on course because of the 'wordiness' of it. (I personally just prefer fiction to be an easy read with occasional big words th
Paula Ackley
Oct 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book. I wasn't looking for any deep meaning in it and I certainly didn't find any. The book was slow to start and then it became farfetched as the protagonist underwent a complete change in character and personality. The story just kept getting more unbelievable as it went on. The book didn't make sense until the end.
Christy King
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the wait

For a while, I was confused as to where the story was headed and why. But when it all started coming together it was worth the wait. Hang on and stick with it for the prize.
Angela Mortimer
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
I wasn't sure at first, but I kept on and then looked forward to it. I was intrigued, we've all had a bad boss or workmate but this one is truly awful-and he's trapped because he has a family to look after, I just had to get to the end-glad I did
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Matilda's Freedom
  • The Secret Vineyard
  • Salvation Jane
  • Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1)
  • The Kookaburra Creek Cafe
  • The Twilight Swimmer
  • A Place to Remember
  • A Woman Transported
  • The Cleanskin
  • Closing Down
  • Savage Tide (Marika Hartmann, #2)
  • Tomorrow City
  • The Beacon
  • Peril in the Park (Jamie Quinn Mystery #3)
  • The Art of Friendship
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • What Matters Most (Memory House Collection)
  • Streets on a Map: Journey Through Changes
Garrett is forty something, Australian, and also a geek, husband, father and novelist. He grew up in Perth, Western Australia, and has been lucky enough to live in or visit most of Australia and much of the world. He now lives in Melbourne with his family. Not averse to change, thus far, he has been an Army officer, software consultant and author. But this is just the beginning.